THE CLEVELAND FOOTBALL BROWNS Game Day Thread
-
I get the kicker the comments and that something easy and obvious to point the finger to….
Let’s go to late game calls and execution…What about the offense needing 10 yards in 3 plays? And then the defense allowing pass catchers to get out of bounce and our safeties playing 25 yards deep on 7/8 yard check downs to get in range for that field goal.
Offensive Play calling was no better throughout most of the game. Raiders brought a safety up telegraphed it and did it consistently and we run into it. How many times did you see Run… run…and then pass on third down? We saw Chubb having very little room to operate under those conditions and Mullens too. It is 3rd and 6/7/8. That’s a pass play most of the time. A positive though on our second TD loved the calls when we got down inside the 10. Play action on second down when the raiders were begging for it and then 3rd and goal you go to Chubb on the outside zone play that got you down to that area. We may have come away empty handed with Stef calling plays this year.
I appreciate the effort having 18 guys out, especially some guys on offense and by and large the entire defense but we missed our own opportunities.
7-7 this year. With very few moments of complimentary football played. If it wasn’t the defense early it was the offense playing horribly of late, or the coaches with the suspect calls and game plans, or the penalties some self inflicted others just questionable BS garbage from the referees. And then we get a chance to move into first place and we go into the biggest game of the year with 18 guys out!!! A shit ton of opportunities we have flushed away this year. I’m still sick to my stomach 16 hours later.
Murphy’s law this year. I have to imagine next year is better…at least I hope…and it is onto next year fellas. We missed the shot we had.
Offensive Play calling was no better throughout most of the game. Raiders brought a safety up telegraphed it and did it consistently and we run into it. How many times did you see Run… run…and then pass on third down?
Really not trying to pick on you, but I went back and started looking at snaps for run/pass breakdowns.
1st drive
-------------
2nd down pass
3rd down pass1st down pass
2nd drive
--------------
2nd down passNext set conversion
1st down pass
2nd down pass
3rd down pass/screen3rd drive
---------------
run
run
pass
punt4th drive
--------------------
1st down pass
3rd down pass/screen5th drive
-------------------
run
screen
pass
punt
7th drive
-------------------1st down pass
2nd & goal pass*chubb started breaking off chunk runs*
9th drive
-----------------3rd down pass conversion
Chubb on 1st and 2nd downs both sets
3rd down pass conversion
2nd down pass
3rd down pass3rd down pass
4th down passThe in-between was pretty mediocre, but at the same time if you don't lean on what you know, even with heavy box counts, then you're still going to get the "RUN THE DAMN BALL NO MATTER WHAT"... type crowd.
Point being, I'm highlighting that the play calling wasn't anywhere near as vanilla in terms of 'run, run, pass' as you may have initially believed.
And until we get a good QB and a WR who can reliably own 1 on 1's, we'll never be able to run the sight adjust and PRO work like a team such a Green Bay does.
-
Offensive Play calling was no better throughout most of the game. Raiders brought a safety up telegraphed it and did it consistently and we run into it. How many times did you see Run… run…and then pass on third down?
Really not trying to pick on you, but I went back and started looking at snaps for run/pass breakdowns.
1st drive
-------------
2nd down pass
3rd down pass1st down pass
2nd drive
--------------
2nd down passNext set conversion
1st down pass
2nd down pass
3rd down pass/screen3rd drive
---------------
run
run
pass
punt4th drive
--------------------
1st down pass
3rd down pass/screen5th drive
-------------------
run
screen
pass
punt
7th drive
-------------------1st down pass
2nd & goal pass*chubb started breaking off chunk runs*
9th drive
-----------------3rd down pass conversion
Chubb on 1st and 2nd downs both sets
3rd down pass conversion
2nd down pass
3rd down pass3rd down pass
4th down passThe in-between was pretty mediocre, but at the same time if you don't lean on what you know, even with heavy box counts, then you're still going to get the "RUN THE DAMN BALL NO MATTER WHAT"... type crowd.
Point being, I'm highlighting that the play calling wasn't anywhere near as vanilla in terms of 'run, run, pass' as you may have initially believed.
And until we get a good QB and a WR who can reliably own 1 on 1's, we'll never be able to run the sight adjust and PRO work like a team such a Green Bay does.
Really not trying to pick on you, but I went back and started looking at snaps for run/pass breakdowns.
1st drive
-------------
2nd down pass
3rd down pass1st down pass
2nd drive
--------------
2nd down passNext set conversion
1st down pass
2nd down pass
3rd down pass/screen3rd drive
---------------
run
run
pass
punt4th drive
--------------------
1st down pass
3rd down pass/screen5th drive
-------------------
run
screen
pass
punt
7th drive
-------------------1st down pass
2nd & goal pass*chubb started breaking off chunk runs*
9th drive
-----------------3rd down pass conversion
Chubb on 1st and 2nd downs both sets
3rd down pass conversion
2nd down pass
3rd down pass3rd down pass
4th down passThe in-between was pretty mediocre, but at the same time if you don't lean on what you know, even with heavy box counts, then you're still going to get the "RUN THE DAMN BALL NO MATTER WHAT"... type crowd.
Point being, I'm highlighting that the play calling wasn't anywhere near as vanilla in terms of 'run, run, pass' as you may have initially believed.
And until we get a good QB and a WR who can reliably own 1 on 1's, we'll never be able to run the sight adjust and PRO work like a team such a Green Bay does.
Drive number 3 and 5 were both Run, Run Pass. The point being Raiders loading the box on predicted run downs and Setting the Browns up for 3rd and unmanageable.
Second half I thought was a little better (the line settled in a little more too) They kept that outside zone going on the one drive that lead to a TD that you wanted them to abandon.
We were very predictable in the Raiders game to the point I questioned whether a guy like Abrams was stealing plays. I listened to the first half on NFL XM radio- those guys certainly weren’t kind on our calls and you would have thought Abrams was the second coming of Ronnie Lott.
Screen shot of Drive 5 here.
FYI I’m not a run the ball at all cost guy. I’m a find ways to get Chubb the ball (fabulous job most of time yesterday here). I’m also a guy that believes you need keep the safety honest that sometimes means taking the top of the defense and making him turn and run a couple times each half.
When the box is loaded as it has been lately. I want Chubb and Hunt/Johnson still getting touches but out on the perimeter. Or in the first Raven game (screen passes). I think we had one that entire game that was setup beautifully but Baker ended up Charlie Browning it.
But I think we agree we need a new signal caller and a #1 WR that can consistently win the one on ones
-
I posted this earlier
Browns rushes + screens = 23 plays for 259 yards
Browns passes - screens = 40 plays for 138 net yards (plus four picks) -
Really not trying to pick on you, but I went back and started looking at snaps for run/pass breakdowns.
1st drive
-------------
2nd down pass
3rd down pass1st down pass
2nd drive
--------------
2nd down passNext set conversion
1st down pass
2nd down pass
3rd down pass/screen3rd drive
---------------
run
run
pass
punt4th drive
--------------------
1st down pass
3rd down pass/screen5th drive
-------------------
run
screen
pass
punt
7th drive
-------------------1st down pass
2nd & goal pass*chubb started breaking off chunk runs*
9th drive
-----------------3rd down pass conversion
Chubb on 1st and 2nd downs both sets
3rd down pass conversion
2nd down pass
3rd down pass3rd down pass
4th down passThe in-between was pretty mediocre, but at the same time if you don't lean on what you know, even with heavy box counts, then you're still going to get the "RUN THE DAMN BALL NO MATTER WHAT"... type crowd.
Point being, I'm highlighting that the play calling wasn't anywhere near as vanilla in terms of 'run, run, pass' as you may have initially believed.
And until we get a good QB and a WR who can reliably own 1 on 1's, we'll never be able to run the sight adjust and PRO work like a team such a Green Bay does.
Drive number 3 and 5 were both Run, Run Pass. The point being Raiders loading the box on predicted run downs and Setting the Browns up for 3rd and unmanageable.
Second half I thought was a little better (the line settled in a little more too) They kept that outside zone going on the one drive that lead to a TD that you wanted them to abandon.
We were very predictable in the Raiders game to the point I questioned whether a guy like Abrams was stealing plays. I listened to the first half on NFL XM radio- those guys certainly weren’t kind on our calls and you would have thought Abrams was the second coming of Ronnie Lott.
Screen shot of Drive 5 here.
FYI I’m not a run the ball at all cost guy. I’m a find ways to get Chubb the ball (fabulous job most of time yesterday here). I’m also a guy that believes you need keep the safety honest that sometimes means taking the top of the defense and making him turn and run a couple times each half.
When the box is loaded as it has been lately. I want Chubb and Hunt/Johnson still getting touches but out on the perimeter. Or in the first Raven game (screen passes). I think we had one that entire game that was setup beautifully but Baker ended up Charlie Browning it.
But I think we agree we need a new signal caller and a #1 WR that can consistently win the one on ones
Drive number 3 and 5 were both Run, Run Pass. The point being Raiders loading the box on predicted run downs and Setting the Browns up for 3rd and unmanageable.
The issue with making it that cut and dry is that the Raiders have been a single high team all year, even when they're getting absolutely bombed on. Look no further than their last game against KC. It's what Abrams does best, and it can be exploited to great effect when you have the offense to do it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
