Skip to content

RIP John Madden

The Browns Board
28 19 933 1
  • FHu95KaXEAQ6JAP.jpg

  • RIP Big John

  • He was as intense and animated about football as Woody Hayes was.

    and he was extremely funny.

  • so many coaching/TV childhood flashbacks...  ☹️

    so many football childhoods took a hit today.. (boom!) 

    RIP John Madden ? 

    “If you think about it, I've never held a job in my life.

    I went from being an NFL player to a coach to a broadcaster.

    I haven't worked a day in my life.”  😁

    - John Madden.

  • First Superbowl I remember watching was Raiders vs Vikings

    my parents always went to their friends house and we would watch the game and there was always betting pools

    I also remember they had walnuts, that we would crack open, and there was change in them. Still not sure how that happened

    And I don’t want to know how it happened 

  • Man, that’s a bummer. I have some fond memories of his work in the broadcast booth. He was both funny and insightful.

  • Really ironic that they had the Madden special Christmas Day before the  Browns game. Wife was asking why, is he dead? Had to tell her, no- just giving him a well deserved tribute while he's still alive.  

    Everything else aside,  just his work in the TV booth puts him on the Mount Rushmore of commentators.  RIP, John. 

  • He was truly one of the greats & a great loss.

    RIP John Madden.

    Mike

  • rip John Madden

    john madden.jpg

  • Really ironic that they had the Madden special Christmas Day before the  Browns game. Wife was asking why, is he dead? Had to tell her, no- just giving him a well deserved tribute while he's still alive.  

    Everything else aside,  just his work in the TV booth puts him on the Mount Rushmore of commentators.  RIP, John. 

    @hoorta said:

    Really ironic that they had the Madden special Christmas Day before the  Browns game. Wife was asking why, is he dead? Had to tell her, no- just giving him a well deserved tribute while he's still alive.  

    Everything else aside,  just his work in the TV booth puts him on the Mount Rushmore of commentators.  RIP, John. 

    KInd of reminds me how Charles Schultz passed away the night before the last Peanuts strip came out. 

    Helluva football career. 

  • RIP Coach.  

    I'm damn grateful I wasn't born 10 years later, then I would have not experienced some of the great broadcasters like Coach & Sommerall or the legendary Keith Jackson.

  • This remains my favorite non Browns NFL memory. Curt Howdy on the call....fast forward to the 6 minute mark, one of the greatest plays & games in history.

    The joy of Madden on the sideline. Awesome.

  • RIP

  • good morning viewing some of John's chalk talks & first usage of the telestrator (hours of youtube videos) 

    https://www.sportscasting.com/was-nfl-broadcaster-john-madden-the-first-to-use-a-telestrator/

     Blimps / Penis patterns / nor Pigeons were spared from Johns fun..

  • Here’s the Mount Rushmore of NFL TV announcers.

    AA2E012A-5F26-4F9E-BA53-44BDDBFF0F1E.jpeg

  • Madden had a left-handed QB from Alabama in Ken Stabler.  Tua is left-handed from Alabama.  Trade some socks for him.  No one respects Tua.

  • He had always maintained that The Immaculate Reception was an illegal play. We believe you John.

    I guess he'll find out for sure now.

    I read that Madden was Nolls choice for the Steelers defensive coordinator, but then the Raiders HC job came up. 

    That Raiders/Steelers rivalry was the fiercest in the history of the NFL.

  • Here’s the Mount Rushmore of NFL TV announcers.

    AA2E012A-5F26-4F9E-BA53-44BDDBFF0F1E.jpeg

    @canton-dawg said:

    Here’s the Mount Rushmore of NFL TV announcers.

    AA2E012A-5F26-4F9E-BA53-44BDDBFF0F1E.jpeg

    Montana. Rice. Touchdown.

  • Madden had a left-handed QB from Alabama in Ken Stabler.  Tua is left-handed from Alabama.  Trade some socks for him.  No one respects Tua.

    @skippinturtles said:

    Madden had a left-handed QB from Alabama in Ken Stabler.  Tua is left-handed from Alabama.  Trade some socks for him.  No one respects Tua.

    Tua is noodle armed garbage...

  • He had always maintained that The Immaculate Reception was an illegal play. We believe you John.

    I guess he'll find out for sure now.

    I read that Madden was Nolls choice for the Steelers defensive coordinator, but then the Raiders HC job came up. 

    That Raiders/Steelers rivalry was the fiercest in the history of the NFL.

    @gorka said:

    He had always maintained that The Immaculate Reception was an illegal play. We believe you John.

    I guess he'll find out for sure now.

    I read that Madden was Nolls choice for the Steelers defensive coordinator, but then the Raiders HC job came up. 

    That Raiders/Steelers rivalry was the fiercest in the history of the NFL.

    Yes, fast forward the Immaculate Reception to the level of 2021 playoff broadcasting,  there would have been at least four different camera angles and super slow motion to give us the definitive answer.