Skip to content

Baker mentioned on "The Herd" again.

The Browns Board
22 13 740
  • @sdbacker80 said:

    cocky/humble or hero/villain….play well and win - no one cares 

    Is it really that hard to be a nice guy?  

    @orion said:

    Is it really that hard to be a nice guy?  

    It isn't, especially when you grow up a little.

  • I wish the Browns would trade Baker, only because Cleveland doesn't deserve Baker. Seems like a stand up guy who puts his heart into it for his teammates every time he steps on the field. He clearly has holes in his game but I thought a lot to people had different expectations from him. The expectations I had when they drafted him is the Browns organization was a perennial loser and he was brought in to help right the ship in that aspect. I think he's done a fantastic job in that aspect.

    Just out of curiosity for those who doubt Baker, who do you think is better Jimmy Garoppolo or Baker? Jimmy G. was absolutely terrible in the post season and he went to the NFC Championship game. He was throwing passes at defenders every time I looked at the screen. If Garoppolo got them that far, I feel a healthy Baker would have got them to the Super Bowl. At least the Baker I saw that beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

  • N Neo

    I wish the Browns would trade Baker, only because Cleveland doesn't deserve Baker. Seems like a stand up guy who puts his heart into it for his teammates every time he steps on the field. He clearly has holes in his game but I thought a lot to people had different expectations from him. The expectations I had when they drafted him is the Browns organization was a perennial loser and he was brought in to help right the ship in that aspect. I think he's done a fantastic job in that aspect.

    Just out of curiosity for those who doubt Baker, who do you think is better Jimmy Garoppolo or Baker? Jimmy G. was absolutely terrible in the post season and he went to the NFC Championship game. He was throwing passes at defenders every time I looked at the screen. If Garoppolo got them that far, I feel a healthy Baker would have got them to the Super Bowl. At least the Baker I saw that beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

    @neo said:

    Just out of curiosity for those who doubt Baker, who do you think is better Jimmy Garoppolo or Baker?

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

  • N Neo

    I wish the Browns would trade Baker, only because Cleveland doesn't deserve Baker. Seems like a stand up guy who puts his heart into it for his teammates every time he steps on the field. He clearly has holes in his game but I thought a lot to people had different expectations from him. The expectations I had when they drafted him is the Browns organization was a perennial loser and he was brought in to help right the ship in that aspect. I think he's done a fantastic job in that aspect.

    Just out of curiosity for those who doubt Baker, who do you think is better Jimmy Garoppolo or Baker? Jimmy G. was absolutely terrible in the post season and he went to the NFC Championship game. He was throwing passes at defenders every time I looked at the screen. If Garoppolo got them that far, I feel a healthy Baker would have got them to the Super Bowl. At least the Baker I saw that beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

    @neo said:

    Garoppolo got them that far

    Garoppolo did not get the team anywhere. Deebo became a verb this season, Brandon Aiyuk is an AllPro if on a lesser team [eg if he was greater than the 3rd option behind Deebo and Kittle], Trent Williams this season is arguably the best player on the field in every game [he's by far the best OL] and the SF defense is very good.  The 49ers made it as far as they did in spite of JG.  He is in no way worth trading for.  Even with all of Baker's regression this season, he's still better than JG.

    49ers just spent [threw away?] this entire season starting JG trying to recoup their investment of picks in him in a trade to some hapless GM this offseason.. I think they failed but we'll see if someone didn't pay attention.  I find it hard to believe they couldn't have started Lance and achieved a better result.. JG was trying his best to lose the last couple of games and finally succeeded in his quest to make enough bad decisions.

    @orion said:

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing

    The only thing Jimmy G can be counted on to do is in fact the stupid thing.  It's really a masterclass in disinformation to look at JG's decision-making [in his last SB he actually closed his eyes before he threw a pass that of course was picked] and attempt to convince others that JG is even at the level of Kirk Cousins in ball security.  JG's entire tenure in SF has been stupid decisions followed by people claiming The Next Time Will Be Different.  Fun fact -- Of all 69 QB's who have thrown 30+ passes in the 4th quarter of playoff games since 1991, JG's rating is.. 69th.  JG is basically Jameis Winston with a quarter of the arm strength..

    I think Mahomes' first SB being won against JG has contributed to PM's regression this year [Patrick didn't win it so much as JG lost it contributing to PM thinking heroball is possible] and so being a Browns fan I'm thankful that JG was so terrible because it gives us a better chance in an AFC with PM..

  • @neo said:

    Just out of curiosity for those who doubt Baker, who do you think is better Jimmy Garoppolo or Baker?

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

    @orion said:

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

  • N Neo

    @orion said:

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    @neo said:

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    Baker has had the same problem before the injury.  And it’s been highlighted by others on here…diagnosing coverages and reading defenses in a timely fashion at the NFL level.  He’s been blessed most of his career by having the luxury to overcome this issue with a more than capable offensive line.

    If or When he gets extended the support around him will likely not get better and Year 5 when will he get better?


    We don’t have Deebo but he had the luxury of better security blanket/move the chain WR the past four years Landry.  He’s got a future hall of fame back another that is an elite pass catching weapon.  He had a respected Decoy too that could open up things.

    We aren’t ungrateful.  I am personally grateful that with the help of others he’s turned 1-31 into a .500 record with one playoff experience.

    I Want more 

  • N Neo

    @orion said:

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    @neo said:

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    Baker's problem this year was convincing himself that he could play hurt.... His stats tell a different story...  

  • N Neo

    @orion said:

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    @neo said:

    I think our team is built similar to the 49ers

    One of several that got away..

    Browns OC in 2014 under Future Hall Of Fame Coach Mike Pettine = Kyle Shanahan.

  • N Neo

    @orion said:

    Jimmy.  He doesn't do the 'stupid' thing.  Like deciding NOT to throw it to a wide open Felton just past the sticks so he could be macho and run for it.  And not make it because he can't even outrun a cop.  Now, having said that, Jimmy G isn't the type of upgrade that's worth giving up many assets for.  He's better...but not markedly better.

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    @neo said:

    I think our team is built similar to the 49ers

    So you're saying the Browns win despite our QB play?    Nice.

  • @neo said:

    I respectfully disagree. I believe a lot of Baker's struggles are injury related although it was Baker himself who got himself hurt. I believe that playoff run Baker is head over heels better than JG. I think our team is built similar to the 49ers and I think it is a team built for Baker to succeed. Granted we don't have a Deebo Samuel, I believe if the Browns draft smartly, they will be contenders next season.

    If anyone believes that Baker is solely to blame for this season and you can just replace him would be making a huge mistake. He needs at least next season healthy to prove himself. As a long time suffering Browns fan,  I am willing to give him that chance.

    Baker has had the same problem before the injury.  And it’s been highlighted by others on here…diagnosing coverages and reading defenses in a timely fashion at the NFL level.  He’s been blessed most of his career by having the luxury to overcome this issue with a more than capable offensive line.

    If or When he gets extended the support around him will likely not get better and Year 5 when will he get better?


    We don’t have Deebo but he had the luxury of better security blanket/move the chain WR the past four years Landry.  He’s got a future hall of fame back another that is an elite pass catching weapon.  He had a respected Decoy too that could open up things.

    We aren’t ungrateful.  I am personally grateful that with the help of others he’s turned 1-31 into a .500 record with one playoff experience.

    I Want more 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Baker has had the same problem before the injury.  And it’s been highlighted by others 

    If or When he gets extended the support around him will likely not get better and Year 5 when will he get better?

    How's the Tampa fans doing?   https://www.joebucsfan.com/2022/02/the-bucs-and-baker-mayfield/  to soon ? ?...

    How much do you like Pickett at #13? ? He's age 23.5 when drafted