Skip to content

Another team fires their OC before the season starts

The Browns Board
11 7 832
  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #1

    This is just crazy. Now TB fires their OC 10 days from the start of the season.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aig2...p&type=lgns

    TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have fired offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski and replaced him with quarterbacks coach Greg Olson.

    The surprise move Thursday comes on the eve of the Bucs’ preseason finale against the Houston Texans and 10 days before the regular season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

    Jagodzinski was hired in January, three weeks after being dismissed by Boston College for pursuing an NFL head coaching job.

    Jagodzinski led Boston College to the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game in each of his two seasons. He was fired after being told he would be let go if he interviewed for the New York Jets’ coaching vacancy.

    He interviewed despite the ultimatum and was fired the next day. The Jets job eventually went to Rex Ryan.

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #2

    that is shocking. any reason why he was fired ?

  • B beefjerky wrote on last edited by
    #3

    wow that must really suck for Jagodzinski, he went from being HC at boston college, to OC at tampa bay, to umemployed at who knows where.

  • that is shocking. any reason why he was fired ?

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @brownindian said:

    that is shocking. any reason why he was fired ?

    The reason had to be a rift between him and the HC.....you know....'I am going to call the game the way I want to call a game"

    Sometimes that doesn't fly.

  • @brownindian said:

    that is shocking. any reason why he was fired ?

    The reason had to be a rift between him and the HC.....you know....'I am going to call the game the way I want to call a game"

    Sometimes that doesn't fly.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @ballpeen said:

    The reason had to be a rift between him and the HC.....you know....'I am going to call the game the way I want to call a game"

    Sometimes that doesn't fly.

    You'd figure that stuff would have been worked out before the hiring, or long before this point.

    I cannot think of another season where two teams fired their OC's two weeks before the start of the season.

  • @ballpeen said:

    The reason had to be a rift between him and the HC.....you know....'I am going to call the game the way I want to call a game"

    Sometimes that doesn't fly.

    You'd figure that stuff would have been worked out before the hiring, or long before this point.

    I cannot think of another season where two teams fired their OC's two weeks before the start of the season.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Masters said:

    You'd figure that stuff would have been worked out before the hiring, or long before this point.

    I cannot think of another season where two teams fired their OC's two weeks before the start of the season.

    I don't remember it having ever happened before.

    Who is the coach in Tampa??

  • Masters said:

    You'd figure that stuff would have been worked out before the hiring, or long before this point.

    I cannot think of another season where two teams fired their OC's two weeks before the start of the season.

    I don't remember it having ever happened before.

    Who is the coach in Tampa??

    F Farang wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't remember it having ever happened before.

    Who is the coach in Tampa??

    Raheem Morris if I remember correctly.

  • that is shocking. any reason why he was fired ?

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @brownindian said:

    that is shocking. any reason why he was fired ?

    Here's a good article:

    Bucs had concerns about Jagodzinski's play-calling abilities

    What's interesting is that QB coach Greg Olson will now be the OC, which may muck up the team's plans to have him spend time after practice working with Josh Freeman:

    Anwar Richardson said:

    Coach Raheem Morris recently named Leftwich the starter and Luke McCown the backup for the Sept. 13 regular-season opener against Dallas. Rarely does a quarterback drafted in the first round – Freeman was the No. 17 overall pick – begin his rookie season as a third teamer, but the Bucs believe Freeman can be successful despite placing him in an uncommon role.

    Freeman will start Friday's preseason finale against, giving Bucs fans a glimpse into the future. But once the regular season starts, the No.3 quarterback typically receives little work during practices, so position coach Greg Olson will work extensively with Freeman after practices.

    "That's really our plan – Coach Olson working with him after practice, going through all the quarterback detail issues that you need to do when you're by yourself," Morris said. "Whether you're talking to a mirror and calling it or whether you're just going out onto the field and just going through the plays, going through the progressions, making all the throws, doing everything you can."

    This is a lot bigger mess than the situation in KC. And it could end up stunting the development of their future starting QB.

  • S Sez.EJ wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I found this in roto times

    Byron Leftwich, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thursday 9/3, 9:48 AM CT

    The Bucs have fired first-year offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, and will replace him with quarterbacks coach Greg Olson, according to Pro Football Talk.

    Our View: Jagodzinski apparently did not agree with the team's decision to name Byron Leftwich its starting quarterback, so Leftwich will now at least have someone on the same page with him. He's still a bottom-tier option at quarterback, though.

    * not exactly a glowing endorsement for Leftwich..man with the 10 minute windup.. I agree with the guy who got fired on this one.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #10

    The article I linked to above says that Jagodzinski supported naming Leftwich the starter when Raheem Morris polled the coaching staff a week ago.

    I don't think it was about that.

  • V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Maybe the OC misses being the HC more than he thought and didn't like being under someone else. He developed Matt Ryan didn't he?