Bell ahead of Veikune, Fraley ahead of Mack
-
it's tough for a center to just come in and start, unless the team doesn't have much choice.
Mack will be the starter in due time, but it's good that Fraley is holding his own.
But, I think we will have Mack in there before we play the dirty rotten filthy ratbirds or Stinksburg.
Veikune has surprised me a few times in preseason with some heads up play...
different positions in the pros is a lot to throw at a linebacker, and the Browns have options to give
Veikune some time.
-
Veikune looked somewhat lost out there last week mangini is feeding him a lot of info and the kid will be better off for it i would find it hard to believe bell is ahead of him though...bell is a hard hitter but first he has to lock onto the victim before laying the hit he is failing to do that thusfar imo...

-
Bell ahead of Veikune, Fraley ahead of Mack
They are .. in the dictionary for sure !
-
I wouldn't read much into this. After all, Rod Hood was playing with the ones right before he got cut.
If anything, this could be a way for the coaches to get a long last look at Bell, just to make sure they're making the right move. Veikune's a lock to make the team, so his play tonight isn't much of a concern.
-
Bell had a monster hit/tackle "in space" on ST coverage last week. Titans returner tried a little stutter-step juke, and Bell just squared his hips & lowered the boom on him. Tattooed the guy too.
I hope Bell has improved enough so that he makes the team. He's a hell of a tackler. If he can play & not just tackle, that's our thumper next to DQ. Hopefully Mangini & Ryan can get it out of him.
-
There is no depth chart.
-
@shepwrite said:
Mack started the last game and played well?Really? I saw him on his ass more in 2 quarters then Fraley all last season (not really, but a lot). Not saying he won't be the man, but he has missed some major assignments and has got thrown around pretty good.
-
The Fraley deal doesn't surprise me all that much....and isn't a knock on mack....it is a tough position to walk right in and command.
The Bell deal does surprise me.
The Fraley deal doesn't surprise me all that much....and isn't a knock on mack....it is a tough position to walk right in and command.
The Bell deal does surprise me.
Hard to understand how anybody could say Bell is ahead of Veikune when they have been playing different positions. Veikune has been playing OLB since they had so many injuries. IMO Veikune has excelled on kickoff coverage. He does a nice job maintaining his lane. Bell is all over the field, he can put some licks on but he is also creating gaps fro the returner because he is always trying to make the big hit.
I see Bell as the 5th ILB and that spells trouble. I don't think he will beat our either Maiava or Leon Williams. Mainly because Williams can play both ILB and OLB and does a good job on special teams. Maiava is a monster on special teams. Veikune plays ILB, OLB and plays with his hand down on some 4 man fronts. He also outplays Bell on special teams.
My question would be who's depth chart are they going by. I guarantee Veikune and Maiava make the team, I don't know about Bell or Williams.
-
I wouldn't read much into this. After all, Rod Hood was playing with the ones right before he got cut.
If anything, this could be a way for the coaches to get a long last look at Bell, just to make sure they're making the right move. Veikune's a lock to make the team, so his play tonight isn't much of a concern.
Aloysius said:
I wouldn't read much into this. After all, Rod Hood was playing with the ones right before he got cut.If anything, this could be a way for the coaches to get a long last look at Bell, just to make sure they're making the right move. Veikune's a lock to make the team, so his play tonight isn't much of a concern.
Took that post right off my keyboard, Alo.
That's exactly what's going on here. Bell is playing for his job in Chicago tonight.
-
NWOB and Alo, I agree. Rod Hood was upset because all of the players keep getting switched in camp. Some days with the 1's and other days with 2's or 3's. It was off-putting to him.
At first, that struck me as odd and I didn't like it but the more I thought about it the more it seemed like a genius move. If you keep the depth chart fluid in training camp and players are not sure if they're really a starter then EVERYONE has incentive to work harder.
I surely think that Mack is going to start but perhaps he wants to see how tough Fraley is mentally and how hard Mack will push if he's got a "carrot dangled in front of him".
-
The Fraley deal doesn't surprise me all that much....and isn't a knock on mack....it is a tough position to walk right in and command.
The Bell deal does surprise me.
Hard to understand how anybody could say Bell is ahead of Veikune when they have been playing different positions. Veikune has been playing OLB since they had so many injuries. IMO Veikune has excelled on kickoff coverage. He does a nice job maintaining his lane. Bell is all over the field, he can put some licks on but he is also creating gaps fro the returner because he is always trying to make the big hit.
I see Bell as the 5th ILB and that spells trouble. I don't think he will beat our either Maiava or Leon Williams. Mainly because Williams can play both ILB and OLB and does a good job on special teams. Maiava is a monster on special teams. Veikune plays ILB, OLB and plays with his hand down on some 4 man fronts. He also outplays Bell on special teams.
My question would be who's depth chart are they going by. I guarantee Veikune and Maiava make the team, I don't know about Bell or Williams.
Hard to understand how anybody could say Bell is ahead of Veikune when they have been playing different positions. Veikune has been playing OLB since they had so many injuries. IMO Veikune has excelled on kickoff coverage. He does a nice job maintaining his lane. Bell is all over the field, he can put some licks on but he is also creating gaps fro the returner because he is always trying to make the big hit.
I see Bell as the 5th ILB and that spells trouble. I don't think he will beat our either Maiava or Leon Williams. Mainly because Williams can play both ILB and OLB and does a good job on special teams. Maiava is a monster on special teams. Veikune plays ILB, OLB and plays with his hand down on some 4 man fronts. He also outplays Bell on special teams.
My question would be who's depth chart are they going by. I guarantee Veikune and Maiava make the team, I don't know about Bell or Williams.
Y-town, I think you hit the nail on the head, depending on how they play tonight either Williams or Bell or maybe both are gone by Saturday.
A shame really, a couple of years ago I thought Williams did enough to be in the LB rotation but hasn't shown much lately and aside from the occasional big hit on kickoff coverage Bell has been invisible.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login