Skip to content

Schefter: Watson to Browns

The Browns Board
428 58 18.0k 1
  • I'll admit, the timing of the lawsuit always struck me as interesting. 

    Watson demands to be traded from Houston, and before you know it, the Texans owner's lawyer neighbor has almost two dozen clients lined up against Watson. 

    On the other hand, let's be real about the "exhaustive background check" the Browns did on Watson. They don't give two shits if he did this, they just wanted to make sure none of it was going to stick to Watson before trading the world for him. I mean, this is the Haslams we are talking about.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'll admit, the timing of the lawsuit always struck me as interesting. 

    Watson demands to be traded from Houston, and before you know it, the Texans owner's lawyer neighbor has almost two dozen clients lined up against Watson. 

    On the other hand, let's be real about the "exhaustive background check" the Browns did on Watson. They don't give two shits if he did this, they just wanted to make sure none of it was going to stick to Watson before trading the world for him. I mean, this is the Haslams we are talking about.

    And like there was ALMOST no escalation whatsoever...like..BOOM 22. And as they say the grand jury can indict a ham sandwich...they didn't indict him on a singe 1? They could've indicted him on 2 and sent the other 20 packing away for example....but not even 1?

    Exactly....don't stick ...they don't give a F

  • @hoorta said:

    Couple of things Tom...

    1) tia posted some stuff showing Bakers flaws were evident even before he was injured. The Browns saw what I like to call Andy Dalton syndrome in Baker. An average QB who can get you to the playoffs if everything around him is optimally perfect.  I'm forced to see the goings on in Bungle Land... Throw in a couple WRs, and a top 5 QB = Super Bowl. And FYI look out for the Queen City Kitties in 2022... They've totally rebuilt their glaring weakness- their O-line.  🙁 

    2) Yes, $230 million guaranteed sets a new bar Flugs.  But need I remind you it was just four short years ago Cousins' $80 million guaranteed was considered totally nuts?  Let me opine on something that may make it not quite as nuts as it sounds...  DirecTv isn't going to be able to re-up with the NFL after 2022 on the Sunday ticket package of $1 billion a year. Reports are Disney already has an offer of $2.5 BILLION on the table for the package, and some are speculating it could go a lot higher than that. If it goes as high as $5 billion+ my handy dandy calculator tells me (after the owners take their cut) that alone could add $100 million a year to each team's cap space.

    3) We can say Baker is gonzo, but I'm not going to speculate what his damaged goods worth is to other teams in the NFL.

    4) Yes, as I told Pat Mahomo in another thread "Image is Everything". And Watson's massage parlor antics don't project a good image for the league. But LOL Robert Kraft getting charged with soliciting prostitution didn't?  Seems old Roger was scared shitless to discipline a guy who helps write his checks.  😁

    All that is fine and dandy; but I saw this team win 11 games and rathouse Pittsburgh 48-37 in the playoffs to see what is possible.  That already separates him from Andy Dalton.   One of our losses was a 47-42 loss on Thursday Night Football only because Baltimore got the ball last. Anyone call out the defense that night while the offense put 6 TDs (no FGs) on the board?  One of the best games of that year according to the announcers of it.  Anyone show film of Baker that night?  Of course not.  Whether you want to admit this or not, in the KC playoff game (at KC) - Baker hit Higgins with a pass that should have been the GW score late in the 4th qtr.  Guess who fumbled 3 inches in front of the goal line for a touchback?  Higgins.    We can pretend that never happened but a more talented WR secures that football or gets to the goal line quicker.  That TD would have put the Browns in the AFC Championship with the QB I keep reading just can't win.  You've seen him do it.  

    Shifting gears to now.  I was thinking that giving Baker his final year of the contract, keeping our next 3 1st round picks and having an opportunity to draft one of these QBs (Pickett, Corral, Strong, Willis) at #13 overall wouldn't have us worrying about the length of a suspension.  Roger won't be afraid to make an example of Watson; because it sure looks like he's excited about doing his own investigation.  The last time he investigated what a dirt bag Daniel Snyder - the only person that got punished was Jon Gruden (from another organization).  Stay tuned?  We have no choice.

    @flugel said:

    All that is fine and dandy; but I saw this team win 11 games and rathouse Pittsburgh 48-37 in the playoffs to see what is possible.  That already separates him from Andy Dalton.   One of our losses was a 47-42 loss on Thursday Night Football only because Baltimore got the ball last. Anyone call out the defense that night while the offense put 6 TDs (no FGs) on the board?  One of the best games of that year according to the announcers of it.  Anyone show film of Baker that night?  Of course not.  Whether you want to admit this or not, in the KC playoff game (at KC) - Baker hit Higgins with a pass that should have been the GW score late in the 4th qtr.  Guess who fumbled 3 inches in front of the goal line for a touchback?  Higgins.    We can pretend that never happened but a more talented WR secures that football or gets to the goal line quicker.  That TD would have put the Browns in the AFC Championship with the QB I keep reading just can't win.  You've seen him do it.  

    Shifting gears to now.  I was thinking that giving Baker his final year of the contract, keeping our next 3 1st round picks and having an opportunity to draft one of these QBs (Pickett, Corral, Strong, Willis) at #13 overall wouldn't have us worrying about the length of a suspension.  Roger won't be afraid to make an example of Watson; because it sure looks like he's excited about doing his own investigation.  The last time he investigated what a dirt bag Daniel Snyder - the only person that got punished was Jon Gruden (from another organization).  Stay tuned?  We have no choice.

    Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

  • @flugel said:

    All that is fine and dandy; but I saw this team win 11 games and rathouse Pittsburgh 48-37 in the playoffs to see what is possible.  That already separates him from Andy Dalton.   One of our losses was a 47-42 loss on Thursday Night Football only because Baltimore got the ball last. Anyone call out the defense that night while the offense put 6 TDs (no FGs) on the board?  One of the best games of that year according to the announcers of it.  Anyone show film of Baker that night?  Of course not.  Whether you want to admit this or not, in the KC playoff game (at KC) - Baker hit Higgins with a pass that should have been the GW score late in the 4th qtr.  Guess who fumbled 3 inches in front of the goal line for a touchback?  Higgins.    We can pretend that never happened but a more talented WR secures that football or gets to the goal line quicker.  That TD would have put the Browns in the AFC Championship with the QB I keep reading just can't win.  You've seen him do it.  

    Shifting gears to now.  I was thinking that giving Baker his final year of the contract, keeping our next 3 1st round picks and having an opportunity to draft one of these QBs (Pickett, Corral, Strong, Willis) at #13 overall wouldn't have us worrying about the length of a suspension.  Roger won't be afraid to make an example of Watson; because it sure looks like he's excited about doing his own investigation.  The last time he investigated what a dirt bag Daniel Snyder - the only person that got punished was Jon Gruden (from another organization).  Stay tuned?  We have no choice.

    Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

    @lodilobo said:

    Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

    Let's pause.....in 4 years Baker attacked medical staff, local journalists, national talking heads, former coach, other player's about their contracts.....please name the QB in 4 years who did all that? Why you think no one wants to pay the 18 mill while elite QBs out here getting 40? His mouth doesn't out weigh his talent...everything needs to be perfect around him to thrive-how often does that happen?.. Carolina reps stated they weren't interested in Mayfield....dude responds with we're not interested in them either. That's not Halslam, FO or fans fault....it's Baker

  • @flugel said:

    All that is fine and dandy; but I saw this team win 11 games and rathouse Pittsburgh 48-37 in the playoffs to see what is possible.  That already separates him from Andy Dalton.   One of our losses was a 47-42 loss on Thursday Night Football only because Baltimore got the ball last. Anyone call out the defense that night while the offense put 6 TDs (no FGs) on the board?  One of the best games of that year according to the announcers of it.  Anyone show film of Baker that night?  Of course not.  Whether you want to admit this or not, in the KC playoff game (at KC) - Baker hit Higgins with a pass that should have been the GW score late in the 4th qtr.  Guess who fumbled 3 inches in front of the goal line for a touchback?  Higgins.    We can pretend that never happened but a more talented WR secures that football or gets to the goal line quicker.  That TD would have put the Browns in the AFC Championship with the QB I keep reading just can't win.  You've seen him do it.  

    Shifting gears to now.  I was thinking that giving Baker his final year of the contract, keeping our next 3 1st round picks and having an opportunity to draft one of these QBs (Pickett, Corral, Strong, Willis) at #13 overall wouldn't have us worrying about the length of a suspension.  Roger won't be afraid to make an example of Watson; because it sure looks like he's excited about doing his own investigation.  The last time he investigated what a dirt bag Daniel Snyder - the only person that got punished was Jon Gruden (from another organization).  Stay tuned?  We have no choice.

    Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

    @lodilobo said:

    Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

    Bye.

  • He’s got the mouth of a 4 Time League MVP and Super Bowl Champ. Certainly tolerable under those circumstances.

    Now would be a good time to stay quiet unless he’s financially secure and doesn’t mind playing for the Iowa Barnstormers if they still exist. 

  • 5D1BE21D-63AF-4967-9990-78DDB7198F81.jpeg

  • He’s got the mouth of a 4 Time League MVP and Super Bowl Champ. Certainly tolerable under those circumstances.

    Now would be a good time to stay quiet unless he’s financially secure and doesn’t mind playing for the Iowa Barnstormers if they still exist. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He’s got the mouth of a 4 Time League MVP and Super Bowl Champ. Certainly tolerable under those circumstances.

    Now would be a good time to stay quiet unless he’s financially secure and doesn’t mind playing for the Iowa Barnstormers if they still exist. 

    Wonder what Progressive paid him for doing those commercials?   I've mentioned it before, but the amount of money major insurance companies pay for advertising is insane. Led by GEICO'S $1.5 BILLION annually. Progressive isn't far behind.  I'll let you imagine (if you're insured through those folks) what part of your bill goes to advertising. I did it once, and it's a LOT.   

  • @neo said:

    saw this on the NFL homepage.

    https://www.nfl.com/news/second-grand-jury-considering-criminal-complaint-against-browns-qb-deshaun-watso

    I saw this to....just look like it's going to go nowhere.....one of the same individuals...

  • @neo said:

    saw this on the NFL homepage.

    https://www.nfl.com/news/second-grand-jury-considering-criminal-complaint-against-browns-qb-deshaun-watso

    I saw this to....just look like it's going to go nowhere.....one of the same individuals...

    @laiccm said:

    I saw this to....just look like it's going to go nowhere.....one of the same individuals...

    I hope so...  

    Well, if Harris County won't do your bidding, pick another county.  Darn, I wish the Gipper was still with us to weigh in.  If the said offense didn't happen in your county, how can you convene a grand jury there?   

  • @laiccm said:

    I saw this to....just look like it's going to go nowhere.....one of the same individuals...

    I hope so...  

    Well, if Harris County won't do your bidding, pick another county.  Darn, I wish the Gipper was still with us to weigh in.  If the said offense didn't happen in your county, how can you convene a grand jury there?   

    @hoorta said:

    I hope so...  

    Well, if Harris County won't do your bidding, pick another county.  Darn, I wish the Gipper was still with us to weigh in.  If the said offense didn't happen in your county, how can you convene a grand jury there?   

    Deshaun Watson: Second grand jury declines to indict Cleveland Browns quarterback on criminal charges

    Brazoria County prosecutor: Grand jury declined to indict Watson following review of evidence, witness testimony

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/deshaun-watson-second-grand-jury-declines-indict-cleveland-browns-quarterback-criminal-charges

    Rusty Hardin, one of Watson’s attorneys, told FOX 8 Cleveland that a complaint had been filed by one of the women who are involved in the 22 civil lawsuits levied at the former Houston Texans quarterback.

    A Harris County grand jury dismissed nine of 10 criminal complaints against Watson earlier this month, setting the path for the Texans to trade Watson to the Browns last week.

    Hardin said the complaint wasn't new and that officials wanted to wait until the Harris County grand jury finished its deliberations before the next case was presented.

    Nicole Hensley 📰@nkhensley
    I was just handed this statement from a Brazoria County prosecutor. Grand jury has declined to indict Deshaun Watson. houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-t…
  • Magnum P.I. has decreed it so. 

  • Magnum P.I. has decreed it so. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Magnum P.I. has decreed it so. 

    he had nice babes and cars I would vote for him

  • Deshaun Watson introductory news conference scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday, per #Browns.   ? ? ? 

    Deshaun Watson will conduct his introductory press conference at 1 p.m. Friday at the #Browns facility along with Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski. Jimmy and Dee Haslam will be available via Zoom at 3
  • Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  Day and night.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him look explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7.  Should have 5 SB losses in the weakest division and conference ever.   Matty Ice choking and Marshawn no hand off gave him two rings.  Tell me I'm wrong!  Otto rules.  Stay clean, Watson.

  • Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  Day and night.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him look explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7.  Should have 5 SB losses in the weakest division and conference ever.   Matty Ice choking and Marshawn no hand off gave him two rings.  Tell me I'm wrong!  Otto rules.  Stay clean, Watson.

    @skippinturtles said:

    Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  No way Watson passed through some obstacles without due diligence.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him lookll explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7. 

    Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

    Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

  • @skippinturtles said:

    Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  No way Watson passed through some obstacles without due diligence.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him lookll explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7. 

    Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

    Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

    @mjp28 said:

    Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

    Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

    Yuo.....For example I have ZERO doubts the Pats organization did know Aaron Hernandez was a complete murdering monster.  They just didn't gaf....

  • @skippinturtles said:

    Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  No way Watson passed through some obstacles without due diligence.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him lookll explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7. 

    Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

    Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

    @mjp28 said:

    Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

    Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

    John Belushi was the shit.  Neighbors kinda sucked.

  • Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?

  • Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?

    @skippinturtles said:

    Jim Brown or Barry Sanders?

    What is the question? 

    Better running back?

    Better woman beater?