Skip to content

Draft Thoughts

The Browns Board
80 19 3.7k 1
  • @tiamat63 said:

    Jones and Farrell from LSU are the one's on my list at the moment for those mid-to-late producers.

    What this team needs, especially if you want an infusion of young talent with high midround return value, is just that...  more midround picks.    They need to secure draft capital in some way in order to help address needs on this team that are looking emergency-ish.   Which is why I never ruled out them moving Kareem for pick(s).    The RB ROOM will still thrive without Hunt, but will we survive on the IDL without young picks who can rill their roles early? Not likely.

    In that case, WR and IDL get my priority when feuding over 3rd-5th round picks.   Then a nod to C & RT.  Followed up by S and possibly LB.

    Holy climbing out of your lane, there, tia... Not a single DB named? 

    Still I have to agree... My dream DT remains UGA's Jordan Davis... His Combine was stellar. His price is a round 1 tho and not one where we currently sit. So too pricey most likely, but ya never know who playing higher value positions zooms past Defenders as the day approaches. I've had a few prizes fall to me starting with Khalil Mack and running thru Micah Parsons. Unfortunately no GM ever called to get my input... 😉 .

    Moving up my DT board was TN's Mathew Butler. Undersized, but has 3-tech, rush potential to go with spot duty at DE. Couple others as well, but do not know them well enough as yet to discuss.

    IOL.... eyeballing a Center... a strong one with decent feet... and an OG (BC's Zion Johnson)... Meanwhile we've signed Ethan Pocic (But on Tuesday, the Browns signed former Seattle Seahawks center Ethan Pocic.)

    RT... kinda surprise Conklin is still here TBH. RT in front of an RPO QB with feet and speed is not the priority it is with a pocket passer. Add that Hubbard has surprised to the upside. Of course Hubbard's value may be even greater in a swing role.

    LB... lotta 2nd tier kids outta lesser known schools including one named Muma out of Wyoming. Tested nicely at Combine, but can't recall seeing him play.

    RB/WR... seem to be a number of Day 2 Candidates.

    @tour2ma said:

    Holy climbing out of your lane, there, tia... Not a single DB named? 

    Still I have to agree... My dream DT remains UGA's Jordan Davis... His Combine was stellar. His price is a round 1 tho and not one where we currently sit. So too pricey most likely, but ya never know who playing higher value positions zooms past Defenders as the day approaches. I've had a few prizes fall to me starting with Khalil Mack and running thru Micah Parsons. Unfortunately no GM ever called to get my input... 😉 .

    Moving up my DT board was TN's Mathew Butler. Undersized, but has 3-tech, rush potential to go with spot duty at DE. Couple others as well, but do not know them well enough as yet to discuss.

    IOL.... eyeballing a Center... a strong one with decent feet... and an OG (BC's Zion Johnson)... Meanwhile we've signed Ethan Pocic (But on Tuesday, the Browns signed former Seattle Seahawks center Ethan Pocic.)

    RT... kinda surprise Conklin is still here TBH. RT in front of an RPO QB with feet and speed is not the priority it is with a pocket passer. Add that Hubbard has surprised to the upside. Of course Hubbard's value may be even greater in a swing role.

    LB... lotta 2nd tier kids outta lesser known schools including one named Muma out of Wyoming. Tested nicely at Combine, but can't recall seeing him play.

    RB/WR... seem to be a number of Day 2 Candidates.

    - I actually did a game for Nick Cross, DB - Maryland and was pleasantly surprised.  Tagged him somewhere between a 3rd and 4th round pick, depending on how position runs begin this draft.     But for right now I want to focus on positions of dire need, especially given my limited time to watch film again.

    - Not the first time I've seen Butlers's name mentioned.   Don't forget, we signed Taven Bryan as a 3-tech.

    - Any word on that kid from Nebraska? Center, Cam Jurgens.

    - Wyoming has a recent history of putting some good players out in late round.    Logan Wilson in Cincy is an example.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Holy climbing out of your lane, there, tia... Not a single DB named? 

    Still I have to agree... My dream DT remains UGA's Jordan Davis... His Combine was stellar. His price is a round 1 tho and not one where we currently sit. So too pricey most likely, but ya never know who playing higher value positions zooms past Defenders as the day approaches. I've had a few prizes fall to me starting with Khalil Mack and running thru Micah Parsons. Unfortunately no GM ever called to get my input... 😉 .

    Moving up my DT board was TN's Mathew Butler. Undersized, but has 3-tech, rush potential to go with spot duty at DE. Couple others as well, but do not know them well enough as yet to discuss.

    IOL.... eyeballing a Center... a strong one with decent feet... and an OG (BC's Zion Johnson)... Meanwhile we've signed Ethan Pocic (But on Tuesday, the Browns signed former Seattle Seahawks center Ethan Pocic.)

    RT... kinda surprise Conklin is still here TBH. RT in front of an RPO QB with feet and speed is not the priority it is with a pocket passer. Add that Hubbard has surprised to the upside. Of course Hubbard's value may be even greater in a swing role.

    LB... lotta 2nd tier kids outta lesser known schools including one named Muma out of Wyoming. Tested nicely at Combine, but can't recall seeing him play.

    RB/WR... seem to be a number of Day 2 Candidates.

    - I actually did a game for Nick Cross, DB - Maryland and was pleasantly surprised.  Tagged him somewhere between a 3rd and 4th round pick, depending on how position runs begin this draft.     But for right now I want to focus on positions of dire need, especially given my limited time to watch film again.

    - Not the first time I've seen Butlers's name mentioned.   Don't forget, we signed Taven Bryan as a 3-tech.

    - Any word on that kid from Nebraska? Center, Cam Jurgens.

    - Wyoming has a recent history of putting some good players out in late round.    Logan Wilson in Cincy is an example.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Any word on that kid from Nebraska? Center, Cam Jurgens.

    Opinions vary... mostly mine vs. talking heads. I see nothing remarkable, Zuerlein sees a quickness that I do not, so ZBS fit?. All of us do seem to agree that anchoring vs a bull rush could be problematic. And I think we have that area covered.

    I actually like Taven. Good resign IMO. Flashed a few times last season, which for a part timer is fine... But still need another part timer and that could be Butler. Also sets up competition for whomever develops to stick beyond 2022.

    RB that just caught my eye is Central Michigan's Lew Nichols. Not the fastest (by a fair margin), but shifty and pretty strong on a compact frame.

  • I think we can do some business at DT at pick 44...that edge class maybe very well picked apart by pick 44 ? leftovers of maybe Mafe/Cam Thomas or A.Ebiketie might be left? re-up Clowney imo 

    I hear ya on Jermaine Johnson ! He is also thankful for no wonderlic scores 😉

    edit---don't mind this.. knowing Bell nor Parham might not be there.. room to might take a TE

    Leal & Ebiketie were also available

    • CLE
      44.
      Devonte Wyatt
      DT Georgia
       
    • CLE
      78.
      Kingsley Enagbare
      EDGE South Carolina
       
    • CLE
      99.
      Nick Cross
      S Maryland
       
    • CLE
      118.
      David Bell
      WR Purdue
       
    • CLE
      202.
      Neil Farrell Jr.
      DT LSU
       
    • CLE
      223.
      Matt Araiza
      P San Diego State
       
    • CLE
      246.
      Dylan Parham
      OG Memphis

    Round 2....DE's just don't last to pick #44

    Covey a UDFA? Nah !

    @gumby73 said:

    CLE

    44.
    Devonte Wyatt
    DT Georgia

    Also a good prospect...

    Sometimes "the other guy" is "the guy"

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Any word on that kid from Nebraska? Center, Cam Jurgens.

    Opinions vary... mostly mine vs. talking heads. I see nothing remarkable, Zuerlein sees a quickness that I do not, so ZBS fit?. All of us do seem to agree that anchoring vs a bull rush could be problematic. And I think we have that area covered.

    I actually like Taven. Good resign IMO. Flashed a few times last season, which for a part timer is fine... But still need another part timer and that could be Butler. Also sets up competition for whomever develops to stick beyond 2022.

    RB that just caught my eye is Central Michigan's Lew Nichols. Not the fastest (by a fair margin), but shifty and pretty strong on a compact frame.

    @tour2ma said:

    Opinions vary... mostly mine vs. talking heads. I see nothing remarkable, Zuerlein sees a quickness that I do not, so ZBS fit?. All of us do seem to agree that anchoring vs a bull rush could be problematic. And I think we have that area covered.

    I actually like Taven. Good resign IMO. Flashed a few times last season, which for a part timer is fine... But still need another part timer and that could be Butler. Also sets up competition for whomever develops to stick beyond 2022.

    RB that just caught my eye is Central Michigan's Lew Nichols. Not the fastest (by a fair margin), but shifty and pretty strong on a compact frame.

    You're one of the few I take at a word that wouldn't interest me in having my own look.   So I'll move onto the kid from BC.  

    I don't think Taven is a bad signing, in that way.   But this defense is going to struggle if they're counting on him to come in and be a full time, every down type contributor next to other average IDL.

  • I’ve heard this name on the site before Chad Muma MIKE Wyoming.  Very cerebral well spoken he was interviewed yesterday on NFL XM radio Pat Kirwin Jim Miller.  He would be a great replacement at MIKE.  Seems to have a nose for the ball and sat behind some guys that were drafted but emerged at Wyoming once he had his shot. 

  • I’ve heard this name on the site before Chad Muma MIKE Wyoming.  Very cerebral well spoken he was interviewed yesterday on NFL XM radio Pat Kirwin Jim Miller.  He would be a great replacement at MIKE.  Seems to have a nose for the ball and sat behind some guys that were drafted but emerged at Wyoming once he had his shot. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ve heard this name on the site before Chad Muma MIKE Wyoming. He would be a great replacement at MIKE.  Seems to have a nose for the ball and sat behind some guys that were drafted but emerged at Wyoming once he had his shot. 

    just can't get past the new size of the new hybrid MLB... Anthony Walker at combine was 6'1" 238 lbs 4.65 w/7.23 3 cone

    at their combine

    Luke Kuechly/ 6'3" 242 lbs runs 4.58 /1'57 split w/6.92 3 cone? 

    Thomas Davis/ 6'1 230 lbs runs 4.52/1.64 split w/7.10 3-cone...

    Very few draftable LB'ers come close to this^^

    Troy Anderson 6'3" 243 runs 4.41 /Leo Chenal 6'2" 250 runs 4.57/Christian Harris 6' 226 runs 4.44/  *note where Gil ranks them https://www.nfl.com/news/gil-brandt-s-hot-100-ranking-top-prospects-in-2022-nfl-draft-class

    Muma & Domann/Damone Clark all ran in the 4.60's/Lloyd 4.71/

    How freakish was Travon Walker's numbers? 6'5" 272 lbs moving at 4.51 w/6.89 3-cone ? (Yikes!) 

    (edit- For the love of god(dell) NFL Network.. You have a HOF LT in Joe Thomas working for you.. Give him a segment on ranking this OL class ! ) ?

  • Draft thoughts ?   Who would have imagined this.

    44XI63PHR5GMBDTGGG7GHP3JQQ.jpg

  • Hadn't heard about the character issues of both Wyatt and Pickens -- >1 teams have dropped both completely off their boards for next week.

  • Hadn't heard about the character issues of both Wyatt and Pickens -- >1 teams have dropped both completely off their boards for next week.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Hadn't heard about the character issues of both Wyatt and Pickens -- >1 teams have dropped both completely off their boards for next week.

    Sounds like draft smoke 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Hadn't heard about the character issues of both Wyatt and Pickens -- >1 teams have dropped both completely off their boards for next week.

    Sounds like draft smoke 

    @mld-woody said:

    Sounds like draft smoke 

    Oh yeah draft smoke and mirrors,  " you mean that rumor isn't true ",  < snicker,  snicker >.   😆  

    Just like playing poker this time of year around the draft tables, right up to April 28 - 30.  

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Hadn't heard about the character issues of both Wyatt and Pickens -- >1 teams have dropped both completely off their boards for next week.

    Sounds like draft smoke 

    @mld-woody said:

    Sounds like draft smoke 

    We have smart guys in our front office that I’m sure do the necessary due diligence to formulate their own answers and opinions on “character”. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Sounds like draft smoke 

    We have smart guys in our front office that I’m sure do the necessary due diligence to formulate their own answers and opinions on “character”. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We have smart guys in our front office that I’m sure do the necessary due diligence to formulate their own answers and opinions on “character”. 

    Apparently. 

  • One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

  • One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

    With no 1st round pick there's not much to speculate regarding who our 1st pick is going to be.  Purely wild speculation.  - Quietly looking forward to next Friday night though.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

    With no 1st round pick there's not much to speculate regarding who our 1st pick is going to be.  Purely wild speculation.  - Quietly looking forward to next Friday night though.

    @orion said:

    With no 1st round pick there's not much to speculate regarding who our 1st pick is going to be.  Purely wild speculation.  - Quietly looking forward to next Friday night though.

    Yeah we get to watch all Thursday evening at everyone else's picks and hoping the BROWNS don't shoot the other foot off.

    Also why I dislike this Th-Fr-Sa  format !  Bring back Sat-Sun for us real draft fans.  😮

  • Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

  • @flugel Hall I'm still working on. He's something of an enigma and a project that has Buckner lite type upside.  On the flip side, if the  mental and 2nd nature technique  game of his doesn't improve, then I think back to Xavier Cooper or Caleb Brantley.  Twitchy, gifted dline with great to elite 1st step burst, but little else.  I'll get around to posting my watchings of him at some point this weekend. Busy between work and studying. 

    As for Dean out of UGA at 5'11... don't forget about Ohio's own London Fletcher. Sometimes when you can ball, you just ball at that height.  ( I can sympathize ??) 

  • Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    @flugel said:

    Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

  • @flugel said:

    Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    I thought Jurgens moved really well during the combine.   Seems like a great fit for zone blocking scheme 

  • @flugel said:

    Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    Thanks Gumbs!  I totally agree with you about feeling like we're not set at all at Center right now. I'm reading and seeing a lot of good things written about Jurgens. I heard he's moving up on a lot of draft charts into upper round 2 territory.  I only saw 1 brief video segment on him; and he was very good at pulling around end from his Center spot.  He also appeared to get out on screens and lead block extremely well.   Even better, he made the key blocks when doing so.  I didn't see a lot of footage where he had an opponent head-up on him to get an impression of how well he'd do against any stout 350 lb defenders he'll see on Sundays though.  He's got the physique, quicks, and ability to get there first, which forecasts an effective blocker IMO.  And looking at those oak tree circumferences on his thighs for his compact 6'1" frame - I get the feeling he can get up under a lot of defenders to nullify their base (and win the leverage wars). 

    Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...