Skip to content

Doug Dieken's replacement as Donovan's radio sidekick will be...

The Browns Board
43 14 1.4k 1
  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @dutch-oven said:

    someone other than Joe Thomas, unfortunately. 

    there's always next year ?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #5

    The big question is... Whose getting the gig for the current season...

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #6

    Brian Brennen is my guess.  

    Some might say Bernie.  I don't think so.  As the color guy on radio you might have 15 seconds to get your though out.  I think Bernie tries to get too deep.

  • Brian Brennen is my guess.  

    Some might say Bernie.  I don't think so.  As the color guy on radio you might have 15 seconds to get your though out.  I think Bernie tries to get too deep.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @ballpeen said:

    Brian Brennen is my guess.

    He would be great... Wish they would give the gig to Bernie... He sees plays before the snap...

  • @ballpeen said:

    Brian Brennen is my guess.

    He would be great... Wish they would give the gig to Bernie... He sees plays before the snap...

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #8

    @nickers said:

    He would be great... Wish they would give the gig to Bernie... He sees plays before the snap...

    You added your comment while I was editing mine...lol  With bernie you sometime benefit by seeing the replay as he makes his comments.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Another thought on the radio guy.  In TV, the play by play and color guy are almost a 50/50 team.  In radio, it is maybe 80% to play by play guy.  It takes them more to  more or less diagram the play for the listener where on tv the people have seen it. 

    The play by play guy on TV isn't announcing that Chubb is up to the 30, cuts inside, stiff arms a man, etc.  The radio guy does, and is always announcing this a fraction after it has already happened.  He also need time to announce the set and players, motion, etc, leaving little time for the color guy to say a whole lot.

  • Another thought on the radio guy.  In TV, the play by play and color guy are almost a 50/50 team.  In radio, it is maybe 80% to play by play guy.  It takes them more to  more or less diagram the play for the listener where on tv the people have seen it. 

    The play by play guy on TV isn't announcing that Chubb is up to the 30, cuts inside, stiff arms a man, etc.  The radio guy does, and is always announcing this a fraction after it has already happened.  He also need time to announce the set and players, motion, etc, leaving little time for the color guy to say a whole lot.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @ballpeen said:

    Another thought on the radio guy.  In TV, the play by play and color guy are almost a 50/50 team.  In radio, it is maybe 80% to play by play guy.  It takes them more to  more or less diagram the play for the listener where on tv the people have seen it. 

    The play by play guy on TV isn't announcing that Chubb is up to the 30, cuts inside, stiff arms a man, etc.  The radio guy does, and is always announcing this a fraction after it has already happened.  He also need time to announce the set and players, motion, etc, leaving little time for the color guy to say a whole lot.

    The color guy basically explains what happened.. Why it worked , or did not work...

  • Another thought on the radio guy.  In TV, the play by play and color guy are almost a 50/50 team.  In radio, it is maybe 80% to play by play guy.  It takes them more to  more or less diagram the play for the listener where on tv the people have seen it. 

    The play by play guy on TV isn't announcing that Chubb is up to the 30, cuts inside, stiff arms a man, etc.  The radio guy does, and is always announcing this a fraction after it has already happened.  He also need time to announce the set and players, motion, etc, leaving little time for the color guy to say a whole lot.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @ballpeen said:

    Another thought on the radio guy.  In TV, the play by play and color guy are almost a 50/50 team.  In radio, it is maybe 80% to play by play guy.  It takes them more to  more or less diagram the play for the listener where on tv the people have seen it. 

    Gib Shanley was fantastic at painting the picture for the radio listener.  Nev Chandler was real good too. 

    Jim Donovan is very weak at this IMHO. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    Another thought on the radio guy.  In TV, the play by play and color guy are almost a 50/50 team.  In radio, it is maybe 80% to play by play guy.  It takes them more to  more or less diagram the play for the listener where on tv the people have seen it. 

    Gib Shanley was fantastic at painting the picture for the radio listener.  Nev Chandler was real good too. 

    Jim Donovan is very weak at this IMHO. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @bob806 said:

    Gib Shanley was fantastic at painting the picture for the radio listener.  Nev Chandler was real good too. 

    Jim Donovan is very weak at this IMHO. 

    Shanley was B O R I N G!.... Nev was the best bar none!.. Donovan spits too much...

  • @bob806 said:

    Gib Shanley was fantastic at painting the picture for the radio listener.  Nev Chandler was real good too. 

    Jim Donovan is very weak at this IMHO. 

    Shanley was B O R I N G!.... Nev was the best bar none!.. Donovan spits too much...

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @nickers said:

    Shanley was B O R I N G!.... Nev was the best bar none!.. Donovan spits too much...

    Naw, Gib was great. I still remember some of his great calls. Phipps to Pitts MNF in San Diego 1972. Browns over Steelers in '72 on a GW FG by Cockroft. 1980 season he was brilliant too, and don't forget he told it like it was with the Iranian hostage crisis.

    "Pruitt out of the I to the T, Rucker split left, Newsome in motion..."  

  • @nickers said:

    Shanley was B O R I N G!.... Nev was the best bar none!.. Donovan spits too much...

    Naw, Gib was great. I still remember some of his great calls. Phipps to Pitts MNF in San Diego 1972. Browns over Steelers in '72 on a GW FG by Cockroft. 1980 season he was brilliant too, and don't forget he told it like it was with the Iranian hostage crisis.

    "Pruitt out of the I to the T, Rucker split left, Newsome in motion..."  

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @bob806 said:

    Naw, Gib was great. I still remember some of his great calls. Phipps to Pitts MNF in San Diego 1972. Browns over Steelers in '72 on a GW FG by Cockroft. 1980 season he was brilliant too, and don't forget he told it like it was with the Iranian hostage crisis.

    "Pruitt out of the I to the T, Rucker split left, Newsome in motion..."  

    I agree with Gib.  Cleveland has been lucky with good announcers in the NFL,  MLB and NBA  teams over the years.   

    Particularly with baseball but everyone has their own favorites. 

  • @nickers said:

    Shanley was B O R I N G!.... Nev was the best bar none!.. Donovan spits too much...

    Naw, Gib was great. I still remember some of his great calls. Phipps to Pitts MNF in San Diego 1972. Browns over Steelers in '72 on a GW FG by Cockroft. 1980 season he was brilliant too, and don't forget he told it like it was with the Iranian hostage crisis.

    "Pruitt out of the I to the T, Rucker split left, Newsome in motion..."  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @bob806 said:

    Naw, Gib was great. I still remember some of his great calls. Phipps to Pitts MNF in San Diego 1972. Browns over Steelers in '72 on a GW FG by Cockroft. 1980 season he was brilliant too, and don't forget he told it like it was with the Iranian hostage crisis.

    "Pruitt out of the I to the T, Rucker split left, Newsome in motion..."  

    Again.... B O R I N G!

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #16

    With Joe Thomas apparently out of the running, I'd be cool with Andre Knott getting the job as color commentator next to Donovan. 

    And I can't imagine Rick Manning will be doing the color job for the Guardians for way too long, so let me throw out Jensen Lewis as Matt Underwood's sidekick eventually too. I really like Knott and Lewis, they do a very good job for their respective teams. (Knott does Guardians work too)

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #17

    bill shonely now that he retired from the blazers RIP CITY BABY

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Too bad about Joe Thomas. I can't imagine it would take that much time away from your family but it's his life. Never heard Brian Brennan on the radio. I doubt Brian Sipe would want to come back for the job. Bernie would be okay if he can stay off the sauce. Hanford Dixon is a pretty gregarious fellow. Tim Couch?

    WSS

  • Too bad about Joe Thomas. I can't imagine it would take that much time away from your family but it's his life. Never heard Brian Brennan on the radio. I doubt Brian Sipe would want to come back for the job. Bernie would be okay if he can stay off the sauce. Hanford Dixon is a pretty gregarious fellow. Tim Couch?

    WSS

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @westside-steve said:

    Too bad about Joe Thomas. I can't imagine it would take that much time away from your family but it's his life. Never heard Brian Brennan on the radio. I doubt Brian Sipe would want to come back for the job. Bernie would be okay if he can stay off the sauce. Hanford Dixon is a pretty gregarious fellow. Tim Couch?

    WSS

    Tim Couch actually does a great job of detailing and breaking down plays

  • GorkaG Gorka wrote on last edited by Gorka
    #20

    So Joe, are you not watching the Browns on Sundays anyway?

    I bet your kids are an afterthought those 3 hrs. 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #21

    get this guy

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    The some that listen to NFL radio, may have heard of a former Buckeye & 49'ers lineman nicknamed 'Boon-ie'.. Aka... Alex Boone... raised in Lakewood,Ohio..

    I believe he's back living in Columbus,Ohio? And knows what he's seeing.. I've always thought he'd be excellent at this kind of analyst job opening..

  • @bob806 said:

    Naw, Gib was great. I still remember some of his great calls. Phipps to Pitts MNF in San Diego 1972. Browns over Steelers in '72 on a GW FG by Cockroft. 1980 season he was brilliant too, and don't forget he told it like it was with the Iranian hostage crisis.

    "Pruitt out of the I to the T, Rucker split left, Newsome in motion..."  

    I agree with Gib.  Cleveland has been lucky with good announcers in the NFL,  MLB and NBA  teams over the years.   

    Particularly with baseball but everyone has their own favorites. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @mjp28 said:

    I agree with Gib.  Cleveland has been lucky with good announcers in the NFL,  MLB and NBA  teams over the years.   

    Particularly with baseball but everyone has their own favorites. 

    And then the Steelers had to listen to Myron Cope.  😁 

    @dutch-oven said:

    With Joe Thomas apparently out of the running, I'd be cool with Andre Knott getting the job as color commentator next to Donovan. 

    And I can't imagine Rick Manning will be doing the color job for the Guardians for way too long, so let me throw out Jensen Lewis as Matt Underwood's sidekick eventually too. I really like Knott and Lewis, they do a very good job for their respective teams. (Knott does Guardians work too)

    I've listened to Knott on Red Zone, but I doubt he's got the expertise to be the color commentator breaking down plays. Certainly not in Bernie's League...  

    @nickers said:

    Tim Couch actually does a great job of detailing and breaking down plays

    I agree, Couch was very good doing commentating on Browns preseason games.