Denzel Ward Signs Extension
-
-
Glad we get to keep Ward long term. Hope we can stay under the cap.
-
His 'highest paid CB in NFL history' label is even more impressive when his salary is divided by the 9 games he plays each season...
-
-
I won't even begin to lie and say I'm a wiz at crunching salary cap numbers, because I've never cared enough about that side of football, but man the Browns spend money like the Dodgers in MLB - but they are in the NFL.
I have no idea how they are going to be able to afford Garrett, Watson, Chubb, Bitonio, Teller, Ward, etc... Like I keep bracing myself for the inevitable "Well yes, So-And-So is a talented player in their prime, but we can't pay EVERYONE" moment, except apparently with the Browns it is never coming?
-
I won't even begin to lie and say I'm a wiz at crunching salary cap numbers, because I've never cared enough about that side of football, but man the Browns spend money like the Dodgers in MLB - but they are in the NFL.
I have no idea how they are going to be able to afford Garrett, Watson, Chubb, Bitonio, Teller, Ward, etc... Like I keep bracing myself for the inevitable "Well yes, So-And-So is a talented player in their prime, but we can't pay EVERYONE" moment, except apparently with the Browns it is never coming?
I have no idea how they are going to be able to afford
Yeah, we know that Ward is not going to see much of that last 30 million from the Browns, that's for sure.
...I just got a notification that I've reached rookie status.
-
His 'highest paid CB in NFL history' label is even more impressive when his salary is divided by the 9 games he plays each season...
His 'highest paid CB in NFL history' label is even more impressive when his salary is divided by the 9 games he plays each season...
Exactly... I had to look it up... I'll take Patrick Peterson as the standard of excellence at CB... In his 11 seasons, he's played all 16 games in 9 of them. Guaranteeing Ward $70 million with his injury history is foolish IMHO... I was hoping he'd take a hometown discount.. Silly me. That said- I love the guy, went to the same High School (Nordonia) as my nieces and nephew.
-
Yikes. Obviously he's good, but the injuries are concerning .. availability is the #1 ability.. 12/17 is a hair over 70%. As well, 100M over 5 years at 12 games per season is 1.67M per game; Ramsey's salary[23.2M next season] implies 1.45M per game.
Just for fun, here's a look at Ramsey's availability the last 4 years:

2020 saw him play 15, every other one has been 16 games except for 2019 when Jags had him deactivated for [nearly] punching a coach, as one does.
4 additional games a year adds up..
-
Glad we get to keep Ward long term. Hope we can stay under the cap.
Hope he can stay healthy...
-
so who was that here that said Ward would be gone because of the watson deal ?
...dunno...but now I wonder how much money there is to throw at Clowney. He's a true mercenary. His spot and DT are the holes left in the D.
On offense it's WR. If we can sign Landry back then we don't have to use pick #44 on a WR. But I'm sure that Landry's watching the money the Browns are throwing around so I'm not sure what his money attitude is towards us right now.
If we could sign Landry and/or Clowney in the next couple of weeks then we wouldn't have to fill their position(s) at pick #44. We COULD, and MIGHT pick WR or DE at pick 44, but we wouldn't absolutely have to.
-
so who was that here that said Ward would be gone because of the watson deal ?
...dunno...but now I wonder how much money there is to throw at Clowney. He's a true mercenary. His spot and DT are the holes left in the D.
On offense it's WR. If we can sign Landry back then we don't have to use pick #44 on a WR. But I'm sure that Landry's watching the money the Browns are throwing around so I'm not sure what his money attitude is towards us right now.
If we could sign Landry and/or Clowney in the next couple of weeks then we wouldn't have to fill their position(s) at pick #44. We COULD, and MIGHT pick WR or DE at pick 44, but we wouldn't absolutely have to.
...dunno...but now I wonder how much money there is to throw at Clowney. He's a true mercenary. His spot and DT are the holes left in the D.
On offense it's WR. If we can sign Landry back then we don't have to use pick #44 on a WR. But I'm sure that Landry's watching the money the Browns are throwing around so I'm not sure what his money attitude is towards us right now.
If we could sign Landry and/or Clowney in the next couple of weeks then we wouldn't have to fill their position(s) at pick #44. We COULD, and MIGHT pick WR or DE at pick 44, but we wouldn't absolutely have to.
Of course we don't have to, but as you pretty much have said, Landry and Clowney are stopgaps.
The Browns have a ton of money tied up now, and replacing high-priced vets like those two guys with cheaper young players on rookie deals is going to have to be done. Plus, at the DE spot especially, you can never have too many players who can rush the QB.
-
I think Clowney is a must. Garrett is good but you can gameplan against pressure from one side. I’m looking at the roster and I don’t see a threat and I don’t think at 44 there is a legitimate pass rush threat to compensate for that loss.
Clowney and Travis Jones at 44. Make me feel really good about this D.
Pierce or any other WR that falls in the 3rd and let’s roll next year I’d love to have Landry back but you can’t have it all.
-
I won't even begin to lie and say I'm a wiz at crunching salary cap numbers, because I've never cared enough about that side of football, but man the Browns spend money like the Dodgers in MLB - but they are in the NFL.
I have no idea how they are going to be able to afford Garrett, Watson, Chubb, Bitonio, Teller, Ward, etc... Like I keep bracing myself for the inevitable "Well yes, So-And-So is a talented player in their prime, but we can't pay EVERYONE" moment, except apparently with the Browns it is never coming?
I won't even begin to lie and say I'm a wiz at crunching salary cap numbers, because I've never cared enough about that side of football, but man the Browns spend money like the Dodgers in MLB - but they are in the NFL.
I have no idea how they are going to be able to afford Garrett, Watson, Chubb, Bitonio, Teller, Ward, etc... Like I keep bracing myself for the inevitable "Well yes, So-And-So is a talented player in their prime, but we can't pay EVERYONE" moment, except apparently with the Browns it is never coming?
I think all the players you mention are locked for for 2-3-4 years. By the time some come to another contract, we probably won't want to keep the,...Bitonio due to age and Chubb due to short shelf life come to mind.
-
...dunno...but now I wonder how much money there is to throw at Clowney. He's a true mercenary. His spot and DT are the holes left in the D.
On offense it's WR. If we can sign Landry back then we don't have to use pick #44 on a WR. But I'm sure that Landry's watching the money the Browns are throwing around so I'm not sure what his money attitude is towards us right now.
If we could sign Landry and/or Clowney in the next couple of weeks then we wouldn't have to fill their position(s) at pick #44. We COULD, and MIGHT pick WR or DE at pick 44, but we wouldn't absolutely have to.
Of course we don't have to, but as you pretty much have said, Landry and Clowney are stopgaps.
The Browns have a ton of money tied up now, and replacing high-priced vets like those two guys with cheaper young players on rookie deals is going to have to be done. Plus, at the DE spot especially, you can never have too many players who can rush the QB.
The Browns have a ton of money tied up now, and replacing high-priced vets like those two guys with cheaper young players on rookie deals is going to have to be done
There's that truth.
I don’t think at 44 there is a legitimate pass rush threat to compensate for that loss.
And there's this truth.
...and there's one more truth. We ain't won since 1964. To change that we gotta do what we gotta do. And it seems they're in 'gotta do' mode.
-
I love the guy and the player, but if he has suffered so many injuries in the first years of his career... Either he learns to keep his hamstrings and groins available all weeks or I'm thinking is a bit too much money.
I don't know how are we paying all the players in future seasons...
-
With Ward I think back to Greg Williams talking about how he better learn to tackle without letting a 250 lb man run in to his face...lol
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login