2022 NFL Draft: Day 2
-
Sporting News' assessment of Browns pick plus Leal in comparison. Pretty much follows what I thought with exception of a higher grade on Emerson that I thought he should get drafted where they got him.
68. Cleveland Browns (from Texans): Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State
- Grade: B
The Browns needed a big, strong corner option to complement their other cover men given the size and strength challenges related to the AFC North wide receiver competition.
78. Cleveland Browns: Alex Wright, EDGE, UAB
- Grade: C
The Browns got enamored with Wright’s immense raw explosive skills as a pass rusher, but he’s limited to a situational player until he can round out his game. His value was that of a mid Day 3 pick.
99. Cleveland Browns: David Bell, WR, Purdue
- Grade: A
The Browns were smart to jump on wide receiver value to further boost Deshaun Watson’s targets away from Ameri Cooper. Bell has intriguing physicality, speed and quickness, making him an appealing after-the-catch and field-stretching burst option.
84. Pittsburgh Steelers: DeMarvin Leal, DT, Texas A&M
- Grade: A
The Steeelers also catch a falling star who has some good inside pass-rushing pop to complement the rest of their strong options in their front seven, first as a situational rookie.
My comment on the Leal vs Wright picks: Pitt was smart enough to understand that Leal's falloff in production this year was the fact the several inside DLs were suspended by A&M and he had to play inside his normal 5-tech position most of the games. That made him the guy who forced a lot of teams to double team him which allowed the others to put most of the pressure on QBs. Browns scouting should have picked this up. Fire whoever was responsible for that oversight.
-
Apparently UAB played Georgia in 2021.. did Wright get picked because he had one good game vs Georgia's OL?
-
Yeah, it was at something like 11.2% or Tia saw it at 13% - and it's hard to believe that would improve against better competition. That's why I brought up Skyy Moore as a guy I liked better than Watson.
Understood....but can't we teach him how to concentrate on the ball or something? I mean, ya can't teach tall, fast and jump high...
I'd spend/waste (who really knows here and now?) my 2nd round pick on him.
Understood....but can't we teach him how to concentrate on the ball or something? I mean, ya can't teach tall, fast and jump high...
I'd spend/waste (who really knows here and now?) my 2nd round pick on him.
Good point Orion
This isn't aimed at you as much as it is at others - why are we spending all this time on the very last WR I listed ? I have nothing to do with where these guys are rated/projected so the ones I like best are mentioned in order of my preference from left to right. That list begins with David Bell and George Pickens as the 1st and 2nd WRs. As fate would have it, the Browns drafted David Bell in round 3. I've also brought him up in other draft threads. That's a really good selection for round 3 IMO.
Apparently a team that never knows how to draft decent WRs after round 1 (ie; Davante Adams, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings) traded up to #34 to draft Christian Scissorhands-Watson. Sometimes the best cure for a guy like Watson is an accurate QB putting together a HOF career like Aaron Rodgers. When a passer consistently puts the ball in places where it can't be dropped - one might be pleasantly surprised what it could do for a young WR's consistency (especially if they have their pitch and catch timing down which is a great cure for concentration lapses). That won't change our minds right now any more than we refused to open our minds up about Josh Allen in here pre-draft. "If he couldn't carry his team on a lesser level - how is he going to do this at a more competitive level" appeared to be the popular line of thought in here (that I was guilty of too). Teams aren't drafting rear view mirror.
Just remember, there are guys like a Joey Galloway that can be much better professional players than they were in college. Another Ohio State WR with much better stats in the NFL than in college was Michael Thomas who had seasons with 149 rec and 125 rec with the Saints vrs his bests of 54 and 56 receptions at Ohio State. The difference? Drew Brees and style of offense. Sometimes you only have to ask the why and dig if you don't know it. What Michael DID have at Ohio State was an impressive 9 TD receptions in each of his last 2 years that showed the right shopper like Sean Payton this might be the perfect WR for him after round 1 at #47 overall. Payton didn't wait for hindsight 20/20 to giddy-up and get after that.
-
-
The Ravens definitely are killing it in this draft
-
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
-
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
Bell was the only one I liked where we picked him. The other two......................blah. Later rounds for both.
-
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
Bell was the only one I liked where we picked him. The other two......................blah. Later rounds for both.
Bell was the only one I liked where we picked him. The other two......................blah. Later rounds for both.
Why would they let the Stools take Leal... Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! The first two picks are garbage!
-
Two things.
- The Baker to CAR rumors were squashed last night when they took Matt Corral.
- Whoever propagated and believed the "ThE StEeLeRs WiLl PiCk Up BaKeR iF hE's CuT" .... you're retarded. That is a coaching staff that has actively talked shit on his abilities as a QB both on and off the field. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but if I had, I'm just reminding you and Kenny Pickett was the proof.
-
Two things.
- The Baker to CAR rumors were squashed last night when they took Matt Corral.
- Whoever propagated and believed the "ThE StEeLeRs WiLl PiCk Up BaKeR iF hE's CuT" .... you're retarded. That is a coaching staff that has actively talked shit on his abilities as a QB both on and off the field. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but if I had, I'm just reminding you and Kenny Pickett was the proof.
Two things.
- The Baker to CAR rumors were squashed last night when they took Matt Corral.
- Whoever propagated and believed the "ThE StEeLeRs WiLl PiCk Up BaKeR iF hE's CuT" .... you're retarded. That is a coaching staff that has actively talked shit on his abilities as a QB both on and off the field. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but if I had, I'm just reminding you and Kenny Pickett was the proof.
Actually Mitch Trubisky's 2 year contract was the proof. They already took a 1st round QB that didn't get a 2nd contract with his 1st team. I think Pickett is an ideal pick for a team needing a new QB at slot #20 overall. Unless, of course, we listen to the same people that tried to say Joe Burrow's hands were too tiny to succeed.
Tell you what though, if Carolina was offering to pay SOME of Baker's salary to make a trade with the Browns while other teams will just wait until after the Browns eat it. Then they sign him at humbled prices - shame on the FO.
I'm gonna hold off on celebrating Watson's arrival until I know how long Roger Godcomplex let's us know the length of Watson's suspension. Watching this team blow off round 2 for more picks that where the biggest hope is depth only - in lieu of adding Travis Jones has me worried how much people are overrating areas of this defense.
We've spent so much draft and FA attention the last 2-3 years on Corners and Safeties that we're willing to forfeit stopping the run between the tackles. Then we drafted a DE that the majority of this league views as Undrafted FA only.
Going into round 4, it looks like we only added WR David Bell to get excited about. Who's gonna start at Center and RT? Who's gonna start at both DT spots and LDE? Who's gonna kick FGs and punt?
I'm hoping today changes my outlook...
-
Re: David Bell
Body control and smooth footwork. Need to work on being a bit stronger up top, but he wins contested balls a lot and his ability to adjust to throws looks big time.
4.7% drop rate. Can't stress enough how damn nice it is to see this staff value hands.
-
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
I’m feeling a little better about the pick (Emerson) and The immediate fit will be 2023 when Hill and Greedy are gone. We are going to need a seasoned #3/#4 in 2023…Hopefully he uses 2022 to get acclimated to the NFL game.
-
-
Man! I finally started to compile a list..
1) D. Ojobo EDGE Ravens #45
2) G.Pickens WR Steeler #52
3) T. Jones DT Ravens #76*
4) D. Leal DT Steeler #84*
5) P. Winfrey DT ** Browns #108**
6) Skyy Moore WR KC# 54
7) J. Paschal EDGE Lions #46
8.) D. Jackson EDGE 9'er #61
9.) L. Hall DL TB #33
10.) C.Watson WR GB #34
Mafe (#40 Seahawks) & Mathis (#47 Washington) are to Berry old...
hopes of S N.Cross(Colts #96) & TE Greg Dulcich (#80 Denver) getting to us in the 3rd..
(RD 2..this could be another trade festivus)
The pick is in....CB Martin Emerson Mississippi St. #68
The pick is in... Edge Alex Wright UAB #78
The pick is in... WR David Bell Purdue #99
The pick is in... DT Perrion Winfrey #108
The pick is in... K ? Cade York #124
The pick is in... RB Jerome Ford #156
The pick is in... WR Michael Woods II #202
The pick is in... Edge Isaiah Thomas #223
Final pick is in... C Dawson Deaton #246
NFL pick Tracker https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/1/1/2022
beginning picks? 44/ 78*/ 99*/ 118/ 202*/ 223*/ 246*
-
Man! I finally started to compile a list..
1) D. Ojobo EDGE Ravens #45
2) G.Pickens WR Steeler #52
3) T. Jones DT Ravens #76*
4) D. Leal DT Steeler #84*
5) P. Winfrey DT ** Browns #108**
6) Skyy Moore WR KC# 54
7) J. Paschal EDGE Lions #46
8.) D. Jackson EDGE 9'er #61
9.) L. Hall DL TB #33
10.) C.Watson WR GB #34
Mafe (#40 Seahawks) & Mathis (#47 Washington) are to Berry old...
hopes of S N.Cross(Colts #96) & TE Greg Dulcich (#80 Denver) getting to us in the 3rd..
(RD 2..this could be another trade festivus)
The pick is in....CB Martin Emerson Mississippi St. #68
The pick is in... Edge Alex Wright UAB #78
The pick is in... WR David Bell Purdue #99
The pick is in... DT Perrion Winfrey #108
The pick is in... K ? Cade York #124
The pick is in... RB Jerome Ford #156
The pick is in... WR Michael Woods II #202
The pick is in... Edge Isaiah Thomas #223
Final pick is in... C Dawson Deaton #246
NFL pick Tracker https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/1/1/2022
beginning picks? 44/ 78*/ 99*/ 118/ 202*/ 223*/ 246*
Man! I finally started to compile a list..
1) D. Ojobo EDGE Ravens #45
2) G.Pickens WR Steeler #52
3) T. Jones DT Ravens #76*
4) D. Leal DT Steeler #84*
5) P. Winfrey DT ** Browns #108**
6) Skyy Moore WR KC# 54
7) J. Paschal EDGE Lions #46
8.) D. Jackson EDGE 9'er #61
9.) L. Hall DL TB #33
10.) C.Watson WR GB #34
Mafe (#40 Seahawks) & Mathis (#47 Washington) are to Berry old...
hopes of S N.Cross(Colts #96) & TE Greg Dulcich (#80 Denver) getting to us in the 3rd..
(RD 2..this could be another trade festivus)
The pick is in....CB Martin Emerson Mississippi St. #68
The pick is in... Edge Alex Wright UAB #78
The pick is in... WR David Bell Purdue #99
The pick is in... DT Perrion Winfrey #108
That Winfrey pick has me feeling better about DT. D Jeremiah said he was the last high rated DT he had. Phew!
-
Browns give up #118 for pick #156 and a 2023 4th round pick from Minnesota
-
The Nick Cross thing still bothers me. This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J) Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent. I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit. If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.
No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.
I’m feeling a little better about the pick (Emerson) and The immediate fit will be 2023 when Hill and Greedy are gone. We are going to need a seasoned #3/#4 in 2023…Hopefully he uses 2022 to get acclimated to the NFL game.
I’m feeling a little better about the pick (Emerson) and The immediate fit will be 2023 when Hill and Greedy are gone. We are going to need a seasoned #3/#4 in 2023…Hopefully he uses 2022 to get acclimated to the NFL game.
That's depth insurance for 2022 also. Anyone want to put an over\under on how many games our $20 million corner Hospital Ward is going to miss?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login