Skip to content

WR

The Browns Board
61 11 2.5k 1
  • @mjp28 said:

    Safer than motorcycles  ?  Eh ?  Maybe  ?

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    @texasag1969 said:

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    My first bike was a 500R. In 2005, I was 15 & 1/2 getting ready to turn 16.  In Ohio you can get a motorcycle endorsement before you can get a car license.  Helped I grew up riding, though a YZ125 is worlds different from any bike on a street for various reasons. 

    Very liberating feeling - riding at any age.  Different times back then, because what concerned me the most were deer, drunks, random gravel or rocks on the road.   Ending up moving out of that pursuit after a few years. 

    Got back on a bike, my late brothers CBR6, about 4 years ago for a quick test spin.   I'd be willing to say half the vehicles I passed had their eyes down at their phones and drifting left of center.  Others hardly saw me until I either passed them or at stops.    Smart phones and people who can't keep them out of their hands for 10 minutes are the greatest danger now.     I miss it, but I'd never go back after that revelation.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    My first bike was a 500R. In 2005, I was 15 & 1/2 getting ready to turn 16.  In Ohio you can get a motorcycle endorsement before you can get a car license.  Helped I grew up riding, though a YZ125 is worlds different from any bike on a street for various reasons. 

    Very liberating feeling - riding at any age.  Different times back then, because what concerned me the most were deer, drunks, random gravel or rocks on the road.   Ending up moving out of that pursuit after a few years. 

    Got back on a bike, my late brothers CBR6, about 4 years ago for a quick test spin.   I'd be willing to say half the vehicles I passed had their eyes down at their phones and drifting left of center.  Others hardly saw me until I either passed them or at stops.    Smart phones and people who can't keep them out of their hands for 10 minutes are the greatest danger now.     I miss it, but I'd never go back after that revelation.

    @tiamat63 said:

    My first bike was a 500R. In 2005, I was 15 & 1/2 getting ready to turn 16.  In Ohio you can get a motorcycle endorsement before you can get a car license.  Helped I grew up riding, though a YZ125 is worlds different from any bike on a street for various reasons. 

    Very liberating feeling - riding at any age.  Different times back then, because what concerned me the most were deer, drunks, random gravel or rocks on the road.   Ending up moving out of that pursuit after a few years. 

    Got back on a bike, my late brothers CBR6, about 4 years ago for a quick test spin.  Now? I'd be willing to say half the vehicles I passed had their eyes down at their phones and drifting left of center.  Others hardly saw me until I either passed them or at stops.    Smart phones and people who can't keep them out of their hands for 10 minutes are the greatest danger now.     I miss it, but I'd never go back after that revelation.

    How true !  Distracted drivers can and do injure and kill other drivers   -and-   can be 9x worse for us bike riders.  

    I rode for 10+ years do I miss it, yes but after I met my wife it just didn't seem worth the risk like before.   These Distracted Drivers are scary.

    Great memories, still there.   I do miss trail riding and hill climbing and long rides on country roads like where I grew up. 

    Get on my bike on a Saturday or Sunday morning and just go ........   

  • @orion said:

    I'll sign the petition!  🙂  A car guy buddy of mine loves his Miatas.   (Mrs. Wife refuses to drive my vette....I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with that)  🙂

    Agreed.  I got a PT Cruiser with 33K miles.  I change oil religiously.  Do it myself.  I've got a spreadsheet with the cars' info (drain plug size & location, oil filter part # and location, proper oil viscosity, you name it) one of it's 4 fuckin' cylinders quit at 61,000 miles.  POS

    PT Cruiser eh, . We had a 92 Caravan V6 that we sold to my brother the odometer ended up with 240,000 when he sold it.

    Our current Sebring ordered from the plant laid out in 2005, still running well in 2022 with about 85,000 on it.

    Our 96 Intrepid with the good Mitsubishi 3.0 engine is still running,  looks like a classic car.

    I can honestly say that we've had NO lemons in all 8 or so we've had.....and we sold to friends/ family  with NO  complaints,  zero.  Nothing but good stories. 

    @mjp28 said:

    I can honestly say that we've had NO lemons in all 8 or so we've had.

    A guy that works across the hall is a Dodge (and by extension, Chrysler) guy.  He's got as many cars as I have guitars.  He's in the process of buying an old Dart because he needs some of the parts.  He loves 'em.   He's got a baby blue Challenger that he bought new probably 7 years ago and only has 1100 miles.  He likes Corvettes too, had 2 or 3 over the years but doesn't currently have one.

    My Miata friend has about 6 cars.  Usually has a couple of Miatas and a couple of Mustangs.  Me, I've only got the Vette, Mercedes E350 and Mrs. Wife's Crosstrek.  And a bunch of guitars 🙂

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    My first bike was a 500R. In 2005, I was 15 & 1/2 getting ready to turn 16.  In Ohio you can get a motorcycle endorsement before you can get a car license.  Helped I grew up riding, though a YZ125 is worlds different from any bike on a street for various reasons. 

    Very liberating feeling - riding at any age.  Different times back then, because what concerned me the most were deer, drunks, random gravel or rocks on the road.   Ending up moving out of that pursuit after a few years. 

    Got back on a bike, my late brothers CBR6, about 4 years ago for a quick test spin.   I'd be willing to say half the vehicles I passed had their eyes down at their phones and drifting left of center.  Others hardly saw me until I either passed them or at stops.    Smart phones and people who can't keep them out of their hands for 10 minutes are the greatest danger now.     I miss it, but I'd never go back after that revelation.

    @tiamat63 said:

    My first bike was a 500R. In 2005, I was 15 & 1/2 getting ready to turn 16.  In Ohio you can get a motorcycle endorsement before you can get a car license.  Helped I grew up riding, though a YZ125 is worlds different from any bike on a street for various reasons. 

    Very liberating feeling - riding at any age.  Different times back then, because what concerned me the most were deer, drunks, random gravel or rocks on the road.   Ending up moving out of that pursuit after a few years. 

    Got back on a bike, my late brothers CBR6, about 4 years ago for a quick test spin.   I'd be willing to say half the vehicles I passed had their eyes down at their phones and drifting left of center.  Others hardly saw me until I either passed them or at stops.    Smart phones and people who can't keep them out of their hands for 10 minutes are the greatest danger now.     I miss it, but I'd never go back after that revelation.

    I started on back country roads from our grandparents home on my brother's two speed Moped. Learned on sandy roads and pea gravel infested blacktop.  Sold my last one at around 60 years old, that Honda VFR 800 with linked braking system. That thing could beat any car on the road 0-100, but had high enough windscreen to keep most rain at bay well enough with a rainsuit and full helmet. Also a small pocket of warm air coming up from the engine during winter rides. Sure hated to let it go, but good sense prevailed as traffic had become much heavier/crazier those last 10 years of riding. And if you did not pay attention to the fact you are invisible to other drivers at all times, then you were just a fatality awaiting a date.

    But I have to admit that riding that thing to it's limits now and again was like having an extension of myself well tuned in to my brain & body. In that way it was very much like the skydiving I did in my 20's. I miss them both. My wife does not get that any more than she gets why I'd love driving a Miata. Does not compute with Miss Cautious. I ask her how she expects to be married to an old knight if she won't let me have a Rocinante to ride. I was trying to appeal to the English teacher in her.??

  • I can relate to you Miata guys for years I had a used 1966 Austin Healy Mk III a nice fun sports car to take to the park or I'd take it to work or school. 

    My buddy had a small car lot I passed on the way home everyday on route 422 in McKinley Heights one day it's in front $600 OK I had to stop......first question was what's wrong with it ?

    He said it had a bad syncro going into 2nd and needed minor repairs like the exhaust.   Hmmmm, no problem on the syncro just keep your hand on the big shifter knob until you hit 3rd.  I bought it $600  was very fair.  Smith gauges, toggle switches, very English.  Had a ball with it for many years. The exhaust was touchy but I fixed it.

    My grandmother didn't drive anymore,  no car so I left it in her driveway to look like someone was home.  I always had several vehicles and bikes and a barn.  

    Nice memories. 

  • I can relate to you Miata guys for years I had a used 1966 Austin Healy Mk III a nice fun sports car to take to the park or I'd take it to work or school. 

    My buddy had a small car lot I passed on the way home everyday on route 422 in McKinley Heights one day it's in front $600 OK I had to stop......first question was what's wrong with it ?

    He said it had a bad syncro going into 2nd and needed minor repairs like the exhaust.   Hmmmm, no problem on the syncro just keep your hand on the big shifter knob until you hit 3rd.  I bought it $600  was very fair.  Smith gauges, toggle switches, very English.  Had a ball with it for many years. The exhaust was touchy but I fixed it.

    My grandmother didn't drive anymore,  no car so I left it in her driveway to look like someone was home.  I always had several vehicles and bikes and a barn.  

    Nice memories. 

    @mjp28 said:

    I can relate to you Miata guys for years I had a used 1966 Austin Healy Mk III a nice fun sports car to take to the park or I'd take it to work or school. 

    My buddy had a small car lot I passed on the way home everyday on route 422 in McKinley Heights one day it's in front $600 OK I had to stop......first question was what's wrong with it ?

    He said it had a bad syncro going into 2nd and needed minor repairs like the exhaust.   Hmmmm, no problem on the syncro just keep your hand on the big shifter knob until you hit 3rd.  I bought it $600  was very fair.  Smith gauges, toggle switches, very English.  Had a ball with it for many years. The exhaust was touchy but I fixed it.

    My grandmother didn't drive anymore,  no car so I left it in her driveway to look like someone was home.  I always had several vehicles and bikes and a barn.  

    Nice memories. 

    A college roommate I had for summer school one summer had a Austin Healey 3000 (I think about a 1960 or 61). We took it on  great trip down to Galveston a couple of days where we trolled up and down the seawall looking at eye candy in the waves.??

  • @mjp28 said:

    I can relate to you Miata guys for years I had a used 1966 Austin Healy Mk III a nice fun sports car to take to the park or I'd take it to work or school. 

    My buddy had a small car lot I passed on the way home everyday on route 422 in McKinley Heights one day it's in front $600 OK I had to stop......first question was what's wrong with it ?

    He said it had a bad syncro going into 2nd and needed minor repairs like the exhaust.   Hmmmm, no problem on the syncro just keep your hand on the big shifter knob until you hit 3rd.  I bought it $600  was very fair.  Smith gauges, toggle switches, very English.  Had a ball with it for many years. The exhaust was touchy but I fixed it.

    My grandmother didn't drive anymore,  no car so I left it in her driveway to look like someone was home.  I always had several vehicles and bikes and a barn.  

    Nice memories. 

    A college roommate I had for summer school one summer had a Austin Healey 3000 (I think about a 1960 or 61). We took it on  great trip down to Galveston a couple of days where we trolled up and down the seawall looking at eye candy in the waves.??

    @texasag1969 said:

    A college roommate I had for summer school one summer had a Austin Healey 3000 (I think about a 1960 or 61). We took it on  great trip down to Galveston a couple of days where we trolled up and down the seawall looking at eye candy in the waves.??

    1966 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III Convertible.   $38,950.  negotiable

    White, black interior I paid $600 about 1972 +/- (I was 21) needed minor repairs.   OMG.  I also saw one $7,900.  Oh I was in Galveston in 1978 for a job interview in Baytown,  TX with USS, had a crappy Chrysler K car rental.  Interesting trip, I turned them down.

    My buddy had a green one, same car.  Great memories.  🙂

    67292396.jpg

  • @mjp28 said:

    Safer than motorcycles  ?  Eh ?  Maybe  ?

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    @texasag1969 said:

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    I can say this from my personal experience regarding motorcycle wrecks seeing what was left of guys after they were hauled into ER.. Assuming they lived through the crash. 🙁  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I never kid myself about that. You can hit a tree at 30 mph in a Miata and get out without a scratch since they are well built for top scores in crash tests. But hit the same tree at the same speed with a motorcycle.......................you're a goner or a living vegetable.

    https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/a-safety-high-five-for-popular-sports-car-mazda-mx-5

    I can say this from my personal experience regarding motorcycle wrecks seeing what was left of guys after they were hauled into ER.. Assuming they lived through the crash. 🙁  

    @hoorta said:

    I can say this from my personal experience regarding motorcycle wrecks seeing what was left of guys after they were hauled into ER.. Assuming they lived through the crash. 🙁  

    My favorite doctor called them murdercycles. As well as I knew how to ride them, I knew that with all these old Sun City drivers who should not be behind the wheel, sooner of later one was gonna run a light or a stop sign and wipe me out regardless of my abilities. This is not a good place to ride one unless you go straight west to the Hill Country.

  • @hoorta said:

    I can say this from my personal experience regarding motorcycle wrecks seeing what was left of guys after they were hauled into ER.. Assuming they lived through the crash. 🙁  

    My favorite doctor called them murdercycles. As well as I knew how to ride them, I knew that with all these old Sun City drivers who should not be behind the wheel, sooner of later one was gonna run a light or a stop sign and wipe me out regardless of my abilities. This is not a good place to ride one unless you go straight west to the Hill Country.

    @texasag1969 said:

    My favorite doctor called them murdercycles. As well as I knew how to ride them, I knew that with all these old Sun City drivers who should not be behind the wheel, sooner of later one was gonna run a light or a stop sign and wipe me out regardless of my abilities. This is not a good place to ride one unless you go straight west to the Hill Country.

    Another buddy of mine after our first year at YSU was riding up Robbins Avenue in Niles, a 15 year old girl had daddy's Caddy was coming up on a street she wanted to turn in and hit him head on.  100% her fault.

    He got fractures and dislocations of his hip, leg, knee, ankle and a fractured skull.  He flew over the Caddy and landed on his face, split his helmet.  A mess.

    Oh 1969 the first year for the Vietnam draft for 19 year olds. No matter what he was 4F, well he drew 366 they drafted up to 202 that year.  Lucky him.  

    Oh her parents were coming home from Italy that day and she was in a hurry to get home.   Car hits mc rider mc rider loses every time.

    Many more stories like that.