Skip to content

Haslams Eyeing New Domed Stadium for Browns

The Browns Board
64 13 2.8k 1
  • I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    @orion said:

    I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    I've been to Rome and have actually sat in the Colliseum.. its a lot smaller than it looks on TV or in Magazines... People then on average were only 4ft in height... People above 5ft were considered giants back then... Even went to Pompeii outside of Naples.. the rooms were small.. The doorways in most homes didn't exceed 4.5 ft

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gotta keep space for the real important horseshit poliboard threads here. ?

    FIFY?

    @texasag1969 said:

    FIFY?

    That's good now we really know  what's important around here including other people's opinions and ideas no matter how many or few replies and views they might get.    

    No FIFY needed.  😉

  • @orion said:

    I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    I've been to Rome and have actually sat in the Colliseum.. its a lot smaller than it looks on TV or in Magazines... People then on average were only 4ft in height... People above 5ft were considered giants back then... Even went to Pompeii outside of Naples.. the rooms were small.. The doorways in most homes didn't exceed 4.5 ft

    @nickers said:

    I've been to Rome and have actually sat in the Colliseum.. its a lot smaller than it looks on TV or in Magazines... People then on average were only 4ft in height... People above 5ft were considered giants back then... Even went to Pompeii outside of Naples.. the rooms were small.. The doorways in most homes didn't exceed 4.5 ft

    That's true I remember my dad's family going back to the 1800s and 1900s two my uncles were about 5' 6" two aunts were 4' 10 and 11".  ALL of their kids, grandkids and great-grandkids were so much taller some over 6' tall.  My dad always said it was the better diets we had.  My dad's 5 boys were ALL taller than mom and dad. 

    So true.  Even during WWII if our GIs were over 6' they were the "tall Americans"  MacArthur knew that and hand picked many of his staff to tower over the Japanese.....and it did have that effect over the usual shorter Japanese.   At the end of the WWII signing on the USS Missouri all of his staff were 6'2" around the Japanese delegation,  it had the desired effect. 

    Look at kids today, taller and huge compared to the WWII generation.  

    .......edit, from the signing preparation notes :

    ......Just before 9 a.m. as planned, Starnes — dressed in pressed khakis, with a pair of binoculars around his neck — waited to meet the Japanese delegation, including Gen. Yoshijiro Umezu, chief of the Imperial Japanese Army General Staff.

    Once reaching the deck, the Japanese had to walk past eight seamen, each one more than 6 feet tall. Starnes had picked them out in a calculated effort to emphasize Allied superiority and intimidate the Japanese delegation...... (it worked) 

  • I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    @orion said:

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    It seems to be how things are now with stadiums, I mean, how old was Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc when they were replaced? Probably not that much older than what First Energy will be when it gets replaced by whatever stadium the Haslams and tax money build. Even less for the ballparks the Braves and Rangers walked away from recently. (But are still being used for college football teams)

    But First Energy is a mediocre stadium. Always felt to me like a stadium whose blueprints could be bought on-line for $199. The thing that makes no sense is that a complaint about First Energy by the Haslams is that because it sits right on the lakefront, it takes a beating. How much does anyone want to bet that the new stadium is built on the lakefront? ? The Haslams are going to build a hotel/restaurant/bar community around this stadium, and the lakefront is prime real estate to do this. Doubt they will complain about how their new stadium on the lakefront takes a beating from the elements when they are surrounded by the Haslam's cash cow business ventures. 

  • I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    @orion said:

    I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    ★  But feels old.....And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    ★ Some stadiums just feel old or just not well thought out.  I saw a lot of Pirates games in the 1970s in Three Rivers, always around 1st base BUT it just wasn't a good baseball park.  Dual use stadiums just don't work regardless of how old they are.   The 3 rivers was 30, riverfront 32 but everyone was glad when they were gone.

    AND new stadiums have really nice amenities yes CBS is old and time to go.....but ONLY if it's well thought out and done right.......like a good steak, ooops wrong thread.   😆

  • 1) Wouldn't allow us to develop anything else on the lake (at least the stadium would still take up space). But would keep it on the lake. 

    2) Not a huge fan of this one. Seems like it could get very congested fast. Though it free up the lake.

    3) This seems like an area worth developing, and it provides land to develop on the lake. A soccer stadium would be awesome but idk what we'd do with an only 10k seat stadium. Crew is about twice that capacity. 

    I guess if it's domed the surrounding view matters less. And it would be cool driving into Cleveland seeing a new stadium, especially relatively close to the other two. If we had a good plan for the lakefront area I think I'd vote 3

  • The bigger question is... Whose gonna foot the bill?...

  • The bigger question is... Whose gonna foot the bill?...

    @nickers said:

    The bigger question is... Whose gonna foot the bill?...

    You can bet your azz it won’t be Jimmah.

  • @nickers said:

    The bigger question is... Whose gonna foot the bill?...

    You can bet your azz it won’t be Jimmah.

    @canton-dawg said:

    You can bet your azz it won’t be Jimmah.

    Can you say Tax Abatement?... Sure ya can!

  • @orion said:

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    It seems to be how things are now with stadiums, I mean, how old was Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc when they were replaced? Probably not that much older than what First Energy will be when it gets replaced by whatever stadium the Haslams and tax money build. Even less for the ballparks the Braves and Rangers walked away from recently. (But are still being used for college football teams)

    But First Energy is a mediocre stadium. Always felt to me like a stadium whose blueprints could be bought on-line for $199. The thing that makes no sense is that a complaint about First Energy by the Haslams is that because it sits right on the lakefront, it takes a beating. How much does anyone want to bet that the new stadium is built on the lakefront? ? The Haslams are going to build a hotel/restaurant/bar community around this stadium, and the lakefront is prime real estate to do this. Doubt they will complain about how their new stadium on the lakefront takes a beating from the elements when they are surrounded by the Haslam's cash cow business ventures. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It seems to be how things are now with stadiums, I mean, how old was Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc when they were replaced? Probably not that much older than what First Energy will be when it gets replaced by whatever stadium the Haslams and tax money build. Even less for the ballparks the Braves and Rangers walked away from recently. (But are still being used for college football teams)

    But First Energy is a mediocre stadium. Always felt to me like a stadium whose blueprints could be bought on-line for $199. The thing that makes no sense is that a complaint about First Energy by the Haslams is that because it sits right on the lakefront, it takes a beating. How much does anyone want to bet that the new stadium is built on the lakefront? ? The Haslams are going to build a hotel/restaurant/bar community around this stadium, and the lakefront is prime real estate to do this. Doubt they will complain about how their new stadium on the lakefront takes a beating from the elements when they are surrounded by the Haslam's cash cow business ventures. 

    Not much to disagree with, but see below.

    @mjp28 said:

    ★ Some stadiums just feel old or just not well thought out.  I saw a lot of Pirates games in the 1970s in Three Rivers, always around 1st base BUT it just wasn't a good baseball park.  Dual use stadiums just don't work regardless of how old they are.   The 3 rivers was 30, riverfront 32 but everyone was glad when they were gone.

    AND new stadiums have really nice amenities yes CBS is old and time to go.....but ONLY if it's well thought out and done right.......like a good steak, ooops wrong thread.   😆

    First Energy was built on the quick and the cheap. Quality concrete shouldn't be crumbling after a mere 25 years. With me as my own general contractor, the driveway I built to interstate highway standards in 1991 is still in great shape.  The thought to make the new stadium have the "feel" of the old place was a disaster. Brings up my major gripe, compared to Ford Field, Lucas Oil, Reliant, or Paul Brown (more on PB later) the space behind the stands in First Energy is sardine city. I was hoping when they did the big upgrade, they'd do what Ohio State did, add another 100' or so to the concourses. 

    It really chafes me that Cincinnati used the same architects as Cleveland, and Paul Brown turned out 10X nicer. 

    Yeah, the trend is to build ever more deluxe venues like Jerry World and SoFi... but just because a stadium is 30+ years old doesn't necessarily make it obsolete. Arrowhead is a great place to see a football game. Never been to Lambeau, but the reports I've gotten say the same. So just stop the whining "but we're never going to get a  Super Bowl without a dome". You think the folks in  Foxborough care?

    PS. The evolution of domed stadiums was in plain view in my trip to see the Browns play in Houston. The original Astrodome still stands (now used for rodeos and such), and it's positively dwarfed by Reliant Stadium next door.  

  • @canton-dawg said:

    You can bet your azz it won’t be Jimmah.

    Can you say Tax Abatement?... Sure ya can!

    @nickers said:

    Can you say Tax Abatement?... Sure ya can!

    Isn't that part of almost every project and has been for many decades now ?  

    I always like to play the " follow the money " game. Who makes out ?  Which architects get the project started ?  Which general contractors and the subs get the jobs  -and-  if they're the low cost bidder do they make out ? How does the project finally come out ?   

    I'm not always for the low bidders getting the job if they get in over their head and the final product might show it.

    And finally who gets the check....who ultimately pays for these wonderful ideas ?   The word taxpayers gets thrown around a lot here.

    ~~~~~~~~~~   ?   ~~~~~~~~~~

    NOTE: My last job with Nucor Steel was in their joist, joist girders and deck division the largest producer in America.  We would do large commercial buildings,  strip plazas, malls even multi-story and sky scrapers.  No residential. 

    We often would get the drawings for these projects often a year or more in advance sometimes with no names just Project A.  We would sometimes go to DODGE Construction Drawings get those drawings to take off the job  and work up our prices on the "steel package".  Again either general contractors or the steel erectors getting their own numbers together to bid these jobs,  it was quite interesting. 

    I've been retired for years now and Nucor has grown to be the largest steel and related steel products manufacturer in the USA.   

    It starts with the steel   where I spent most of my working life, and I enjoyed every minute of it.    🙂

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It seems to be how things are now with stadiums, I mean, how old was Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc when they were replaced? Probably not that much older than what First Energy will be when it gets replaced by whatever stadium the Haslams and tax money build. Even less for the ballparks the Braves and Rangers walked away from recently. (But are still being used for college football teams)

    But First Energy is a mediocre stadium. Always felt to me like a stadium whose blueprints could be bought on-line for $199. The thing that makes no sense is that a complaint about First Energy by the Haslams is that because it sits right on the lakefront, it takes a beating. How much does anyone want to bet that the new stadium is built on the lakefront? ? The Haslams are going to build a hotel/restaurant/bar community around this stadium, and the lakefront is prime real estate to do this. Doubt they will complain about how their new stadium on the lakefront takes a beating from the elements when they are surrounded by the Haslam's cash cow business ventures. 

    Not much to disagree with, but see below.

    @mjp28 said:

    ★ Some stadiums just feel old or just not well thought out.  I saw a lot of Pirates games in the 1970s in Three Rivers, always around 1st base BUT it just wasn't a good baseball park.  Dual use stadiums just don't work regardless of how old they are.   The 3 rivers was 30, riverfront 32 but everyone was glad when they were gone.

    AND new stadiums have really nice amenities yes CBS is old and time to go.....but ONLY if it's well thought out and done right.......like a good steak, ooops wrong thread.   😆

    First Energy was built on the quick and the cheap. Quality concrete shouldn't be crumbling after a mere 25 years. With me as my own general contractor, the driveway I built to interstate highway standards in 1991 is still in great shape.  The thought to make the new stadium have the "feel" of the old place was a disaster. Brings up my major gripe, compared to Ford Field, Lucas Oil, Reliant, or Paul Brown (more on PB later) the space behind the stands in First Energy is sardine city. I was hoping when they did the big upgrade, they'd do what Ohio State did, add another 100' or so to the concourses. 

    It really chafes me that Cincinnati used the same architects as Cleveland, and Paul Brown turned out 10X nicer. 

    Yeah, the trend is to build ever more deluxe venues like Jerry World and SoFi... but just because a stadium is 30+ years old doesn't necessarily make it obsolete. Arrowhead is a great place to see a football game. Never been to Lambeau, but the reports I've gotten say the same. So just stop the whining "but we're never going to get a  Super Bowl without a dome". You think the folks in  Foxborough care?

    PS. The evolution of domed stadiums was in plain view in my trip to see the Browns play in Houston. The original Astrodome still stands (now used for rodeos and such), and it's positively dwarfed by Reliant Stadium next door.  

    @hoorta said:

    Not much to disagree with, but see below.

    First Energy was built on the quick and the cheap. Quality concrete shouldn't be crumbling after a mere 25 years. With me as my own general contractor, the driveway I built to interstate highway standards in 1991 is still in great shape.  The thought to make the new stadium have the "feel" of the old place was a disaster. Brings up my major gripe, compared to Ford Field, Lucas Oil, Reliant, or Paul Brown (more on PB later) the space behind the stands in First Energy is sardine city. I was hoping when they did the big upgrade, they'd do what Ohio State did, add another 100' or so to the concourses. 

    It really chafes me that Cincinnati used the same architects as Cleveland, and Paul Brown turned out 10X nicer. 

    Yeah, the trend is to build ever more deluxe venues like Jerry World and SoFi... but just because a stadium is 30+ years old doesn't necessarily make it obsolete. Arrowhead is a great place to see a football game. Never been to Lambeau, but the reports I've gotten say the same. So just stop the whining "but we're never going to get a  Super Bowl without a dome". You think the folks in  Foxborough care?

    PS. The evolution of domed stadiums was in plain view in my trip to see the Browns play in Houston. The original Astrodome still stands (now used for rodeos and such), and it's positively dwarfed by Reliant Stadium next door.  

    Great points !

  • @hoorta said:

    Not much to disagree with, but see below.

    First Energy was built on the quick and the cheap. Quality concrete shouldn't be crumbling after a mere 25 years. With me as my own general contractor, the driveway I built to interstate highway standards in 1991 is still in great shape.  The thought to make the new stadium have the "feel" of the old place was a disaster. Brings up my major gripe, compared to Ford Field, Lucas Oil, Reliant, or Paul Brown (more on PB later) the space behind the stands in First Energy is sardine city. I was hoping when they did the big upgrade, they'd do what Ohio State did, add another 100' or so to the concourses. 

    It really chafes me that Cincinnati used the same architects as Cleveland, and Paul Brown turned out 10X nicer. 

    Yeah, the trend is to build ever more deluxe venues like Jerry World and SoFi... but just because a stadium is 30+ years old doesn't necessarily make it obsolete. Arrowhead is a great place to see a football game. Never been to Lambeau, but the reports I've gotten say the same. So just stop the whining "but we're never going to get a  Super Bowl without a dome". You think the folks in  Foxborough care?

    PS. The evolution of domed stadiums was in plain view in my trip to see the Browns play in Houston. The original Astrodome still stands (now used for rodeos and such), and it's positively dwarfed by Reliant Stadium next door.  

    Great points !

    @mjp28 said:

    Great points !

    Silly me. I meant to say NRG Stadium in Houston, not Reliant. But to my other point- here's what 55 or so years of progress in domed stadiums looks like. The 8th Wonder of the World no longer.  🙂   

    BTW, when it was constructed in 2002 Reliant (since renamed NRG)  "only" had a price tag of $358 million. (factoring in inflation $581 million) Bargain basement compared to the cost of building a domed stadium today.   

    The Astrodome, Trade-offs and the Public's Revolt | Houston's Clear Thinkers

  • 1) Wouldn't allow us to develop anything else on the lake (at least the stadium would still take up space). But would keep it on the lake. 

    2) Not a huge fan of this one. Seems like it could get very congested fast. Though it free up the lake.

    3) This seems like an area worth developing, and it provides land to develop on the lake. A soccer stadium would be awesome but idk what we'd do with an only 10k seat stadium. Crew is about twice that capacity. 

    I guess if it's domed the surrounding view matters less. And it would be cool driving into Cleveland seeing a new stadium, especially relatively close to the other two. If we had a good plan for the lakefront area I think I'd vote 3

    @mld-woody said:

    1) Wouldn't allow us to develop anything else on the lake (at least the stadium would still take up space). But would keep it on the lake. 

    2) Not a huge fan of this one. Seems like it could get very congested fast. Though it free up the lake.

    3) This seems like an area worth developing, and it provides land to develop on the lake. A soccer stadium would be awesome but idk what we'd do with an only 10k seat stadium. Crew is about twice that capacity. 

    I guess if it's domed the surrounding view matters less. And it would be cool driving into Cleveland seeing a new stadium, especially relatively close to the other two. If we had a good plan for the lakefront area I think I'd vote 3

    I would love to see the lakefront FINALLY be developed (hoorta, Gipper and I had a loooooong discussion about this topic a couple years ago) and I concur, I'd prefer the new stadium to NOT be on the lakefront to free more space up too. Ironically, I think the area south of 480 on Orange is where Gateway considered building a Browns stadum if they would have joined in while Jacobs Field and Gund Arena were being built. (I think)

    The soccer stadium would be 10,000 seats because Cleveland's outdoor soccer team is in the lower league, below the league the Crew play in. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    1) Wouldn't allow us to develop anything else on the lake (at least the stadium would still take up space). But would keep it on the lake. 

    2) Not a huge fan of this one. Seems like it could get very congested fast. Though it free up the lake.

    3) This seems like an area worth developing, and it provides land to develop on the lake. A soccer stadium would be awesome but idk what we'd do with an only 10k seat stadium. Crew is about twice that capacity. 

    I guess if it's domed the surrounding view matters less. And it would be cool driving into Cleveland seeing a new stadium, especially relatively close to the other two. If we had a good plan for the lakefront area I think I'd vote 3

    I would love to see the lakefront FINALLY be developed (hoorta, Gipper and I had a loooooong discussion about this topic a couple years ago) and I concur, I'd prefer the new stadium to NOT be on the lakefront to free more space up too. Ironically, I think the area south of 480 on Orange is where Gateway considered building a Browns stadum if they would have joined in while Jacobs Field and Gund Arena were being built. (I think)

    The soccer stadium would be 10,000 seats because Cleveland's outdoor soccer team is in the lower league, below the league the Crew play in. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I would love to see the lakefront FINALLY be developed (hoorta, Gipper and I had a loooooong discussion about this topic a couple years ago) and I concur, I'd prefer the new stadium to NOT be on the lakefront to free more space up too. Ironically, I think the area south of 480 on Orange is where Gateway considered building a Browns stadum if they would have joined in while Jacobs Field and Gund Arena were being built. (I think)

    The soccer stadium would be 10,000 seats because Cleveland's outdoor soccer team is in the lower league, below the league the Crew play in. 

    10k is overkill for the current Cleveland soccer team. If we're building a soccer stadium I assume it's for an eventual MLS expansion and USMNT / USWNT games. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I would love to see the lakefront FINALLY be developed (hoorta, Gipper and I had a loooooong discussion about this topic a couple years ago) and I concur, I'd prefer the new stadium to NOT be on the lakefront to free more space up too. Ironically, I think the area south of 480 on Orange is where Gateway considered building a Browns stadum if they would have joined in while Jacobs Field and Gund Arena were being built. (I think)

    The soccer stadium would be 10,000 seats because Cleveland's outdoor soccer team is in the lower league, below the league the Crew play in. 

    10k is overkill for the current Cleveland soccer team. If we're building a soccer stadium I assume it's for an eventual MLS expansion and USMNT / USWNT games. 

    @mld-woody said:

    10k is overkill for the current Cleveland soccer team. If we're building a soccer stadium I assume it's for an eventual MLS expansion and USMNT / USWNT games. 

    I don't follow soccer, so I plead ignorance on this. Just reporting what I saw in one of the articles, and what I've seen in the past regarding said soccer stadium. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    10k is overkill for the current Cleveland soccer team. If we're building a soccer stadium I assume it's for an eventual MLS expansion and USMNT / USWNT games. 

    I don't follow soccer, so I plead ignorance on this. Just reporting what I saw in one of the articles, and what I've seen in the past regarding said soccer stadium. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I don't follow soccer, so I plead ignorance on this. Just reporting what I saw in one of the articles, and what I've seen in the past regarding said soccer stadium. 

    I watched Cleveland SC play the new Akron club down at Lebron's high school. Definitely not a sell out either. 

    Cleveland SCs home stadium now is BWs football field, which is like 8500 capacity. 

    So I guess a new stadium would be close

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I don't follow soccer, so I plead ignorance on this. Just reporting what I saw in one of the articles, and what I've seen in the past regarding said soccer stadium. 

    I watched Cleveland SC play the new Akron club down at Lebron's high school. Definitely not a sell out either. 

    Cleveland SCs home stadium now is BWs football field, which is like 8500 capacity. 

    So I guess a new stadium would be close

    @mld-woody said:

    I watched Cleveland SC play the new Akron club down at Lebron's high school. Definitely not a sell out either. 

    Cleveland SCs home stadium now I'd BWs football field 

    Is this Cleveland team in the same league Cincinnati's soccer team used to be in, but got promoted to the top league because they drew so well?

  • @mld-woody said:

    I watched Cleveland SC play the new Akron club down at Lebron's high school. Definitely not a sell out either. 

    Cleveland SCs home stadium now I'd BWs football field 

    Is this Cleveland team in the same league Cincinnati's soccer team used to be in, but got promoted to the top league because they drew so well?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Is this Cleveland team in the same league Cincinnati's soccer team used to be in, but got promoted to the top league because they drew so well?

    This league is like 2 or 3 below MLS, semi professional, so probably not. But I'm not sure. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It seems to be how things are now with stadiums, I mean, how old was Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc when they were replaced? Probably not that much older than what First Energy will be when it gets replaced by whatever stadium the Haslams and tax money build. Even less for the ballparks the Braves and Rangers walked away from recently. (But are still being used for college football teams)

    But First Energy is a mediocre stadium. Always felt to me like a stadium whose blueprints could be bought on-line for $199. The thing that makes no sense is that a complaint about First Energy by the Haslams is that because it sits right on the lakefront, it takes a beating. How much does anyone want to bet that the new stadium is built on the lakefront? ? The Haslams are going to build a hotel/restaurant/bar community around this stadium, and the lakefront is prime real estate to do this. Doubt they will complain about how their new stadium on the lakefront takes a beating from the elements when they are surrounded by the Haslam's cash cow business ventures. 

    Not much to disagree with, but see below.

    @mjp28 said:

    ★ Some stadiums just feel old or just not well thought out.  I saw a lot of Pirates games in the 1970s in Three Rivers, always around 1st base BUT it just wasn't a good baseball park.  Dual use stadiums just don't work regardless of how old they are.   The 3 rivers was 30, riverfront 32 but everyone was glad when they were gone.

    AND new stadiums have really nice amenities yes CBS is old and time to go.....but ONLY if it's well thought out and done right.......like a good steak, ooops wrong thread.   😆

    First Energy was built on the quick and the cheap. Quality concrete shouldn't be crumbling after a mere 25 years. With me as my own general contractor, the driveway I built to interstate highway standards in 1991 is still in great shape.  The thought to make the new stadium have the "feel" of the old place was a disaster. Brings up my major gripe, compared to Ford Field, Lucas Oil, Reliant, or Paul Brown (more on PB later) the space behind the stands in First Energy is sardine city. I was hoping when they did the big upgrade, they'd do what Ohio State did, add another 100' or so to the concourses. 

    It really chafes me that Cincinnati used the same architects as Cleveland, and Paul Brown turned out 10X nicer. 

    Yeah, the trend is to build ever more deluxe venues like Jerry World and SoFi... but just because a stadium is 30+ years old doesn't necessarily make it obsolete. Arrowhead is a great place to see a football game. Never been to Lambeau, but the reports I've gotten say the same. So just stop the whining "but we're never going to get a  Super Bowl without a dome". You think the folks in  Foxborough care?

    PS. The evolution of domed stadiums was in plain view in my trip to see the Browns play in Houston. The original Astrodome still stands (now used for rodeos and such), and it's positively dwarfed by Reliant Stadium next door.  

    @hoorta said:

    "but we're never going to get a  Super Bowl without a dome". You think the folks in  Foxborough care?

    They don't have Tom Brady any more.  That euphoria is over.  -  It's all about winning.  When my generation was young, a few of us could decide to go see a game, get in the car and drive the 45 minutes to the stadium, buy tickets at the box office, go inside and watch the game.  It's all about winning..  It's harder to make yourself go watch your team, in the winter type weather, in an outdoor stadium, when the team is not a consistent winner.....than it is to go watch them in a dome and not get soaked and frozen.  And it doesn't matter the team name.