Skip to content

Baker to Carolina

The Browns Board
952 57 39.9k 1
  • Around 30 more starts for 3 different teams over a handful of years 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Considering the competition where he's going, he has a good a chance to remain their starter. But then he will no longer have the Brown's OL protecting him so .................injury maybe?

    The Browns o l wasn't particularly stellar with Tretter hobbled by injury Conklin out and Will's not really living up to the expectations of his draft position.

    Am I mistaken or is Carolinas front office and staff in some sort of turmoil?

    But still I think the question is a little bit vague so..

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Carolinas front office and staff in some sort of turmoil?

    Panthers staff greatest chance of being fired of any NFL team

    Back-to-back 5-win seasons will do that.

  • Here is the bottom line of baker.

    if he was a true franchise QB, we wouldn't have replaced him

    If we made a mistake in that assessment, we would have had leverage, there would have been at least 6-8 teams lined up seeking his services.  Teams wouldn't have been waiting for his release.

    Nobody wanted the guy at any kind of significant cost.

    @ballpeen said:

    If we made a mistake in that assessment, we would have had leverage, there would have been at least 6-8 teams lined up seeking his services.  Teams wouldn't have been waiting for his release

    eh....injury. Playing while injured. Surgery.

    Meanwhile, the browns dumped Landry, who wanted to stay with the Browns - and drafted wr, and signed a star deep threat, Cooper.

    Nov 4, 2021Doug Dieken explains the issues with the Browns offense including protection, getting open, etc… How Baker's effort of cutting down his turnovers has affected his passing? How to defend Bengals' offense. ... Doug Dieken: Browns are out of sync; offense has underachieved and defense has been inconsistent Listen to the podcast below
  • Ah yes, the part of the ugly breakup where the team that got a 5th for their former first overall pick starts "leaking" stories to the press about the player being a "diva" and "hard to work with".

    This story has only played out hundreds of times in sports...

    Probably better that everyone just moves on

  • This story does very little to support its own claim. I'd like to hear some actual testimony.

    So how is that we are just now learning that BM was immature and a locker-room cancer? The story in the Athletic was written by a local homie, possibly intended to make fans feel better about acquiring Watson.

    Gotta suppress the increasing regret somehow.

    NFL fans on former Browns QB Baker Mayfield and current Browns QB Deshaun Watson (sportskeeda.com)

    @fy56 said:

    This story does very little to support its own claim. I'd like to hear some actual testimony.

    So how is that we are just now learning that BM was immature and a locker-room cancer? The story in the Athletic was written by a local homie, possibly intended to make fans feel better about acquiring Watson.

    Gotta suppress the increasing regret somehow.

    NFL fans on former Browns QB Baker Mayfield and current Browns QB Deshaun Watson (sportskeeda.com)    <--- so who is sportskeeda .com ?  😕

    OK this main story line  "sounds " like it could be at least partly believable or is it a headline looking for a story  ? 

    Report: Baker Mayfield Viewed As ‘Childish And Immature’ By Teammates

    190d98af7ca64d54372265ccfe5a7b34?s=50&d=By Robert Marvi July 8, 2022

    ●---->  Next question who is Robert Marvi ?   Well he's been an avid NFL and NBA fan since he's been a little kid.  ●--->  WOW, so have many of us (maybe minus the NBA part).   

    About Robert Marvi...from the article. 

    Robert is a Los Angeles-area native and has been an avid NFL and NBA fan since he was a little kid. He feels strongly that pro sports aren't just a form of entertainment, but also a great way to learn life lessons and find inspiration.  That's it ?

    ●---->   Well just because it's a Saturday morning I did a little more checking.   Google Robert Marvi (got nothing) add LA Sports (almost nothing more)

    Well from Robert Marvi himself on LinkedIn (don't laugh, yet)

    About.....(OK this is our BROWNS,  Mayfield, etc. author).....

    Everyone needs some type of copy written for their website - whether it's copywriting, articles, a blog or something in between. If that sounds like you, I'm your guy. My areas of expertise include writing product copy, sports, politics and current events. My work has been used on prominent websites such as Amazon, Movoto and Staples. As someone who has his fingers on the pulse beat of America, I can convey what you need written in a way that not only educates and informs your clients in a light and authoritative way, but also speaks to them and invokes emotion.

    Through getting my degree in sociology and simply observing and studying successful people and leaders in all walks of life, I've found that bringing people value and empowering people to do better is the best way to make a living and have balance. Because no one in this world is self-made, yet only a few successful people are humble and strong enough to admit it.

    Putting people ahead of profits is something I strongly believe in. When businesses and entrepreneurs do that, the profits flow naturally.  EOM.

    ●---->  Ok, next question is he writing our of mom's basement or his dorm room ?     Sounds like a resume for his first job.

    Ok now laugh.   

  • As far as the obj stefanski Mayfield Devil's Triangle: as much as I love Mayfield I would absolutely cringe whenever he overthrew or under through a receiver. If the ball bounced off someone's hands then I blame them. But unless Mayfield is calling his own plays why then would he be responsible for obj being over on the other side of the field and open? I would blame whoever called that play. On the other hand if the play is meant to go to obj and Baker missed him then I would blame mayfield. Doesn't that make sense?

    But no doubt any coach any leader is going to be pissed off if somebody calls him out in front of the rest of the team. And that can often bring repercussions to the guy calling him out. I don't call management out at the bars I play at to ownership because that would probably come back to bite me in the ass.

    WSS

  •  Mature says the guy with 66 possible sexual encounters... LOL... You can't make this stuff up... Or can you...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/2022-panthers-fantasy-football-preview-baker-mayfield-may-not-be-a-star-but-hes-a-gigantic-upgrade/

    True !

    The Panthers QB carousel took another turn as they acquired the disgruntled Baker Mayfield from the Browns a few weeks before training camp. And, unlike last year's attempt to turn Darnold into a starting-caliber quarterback, you don't really need to talk yourself into Mayfield being an upgrade: All he has to do is play like he has his entire career and he's almost certainly a significant upgrade over what the Panthers have had the past few years. Mayfield may not be a franchise QB, but he should be good enough  to elevate this offense......

    Baker should do a good job for Carolina....maybe even better year 1.   We'll see.

  •  Mature says the guy with 66 possible sexual encounters... LOL... You can't make this stuff up... Or can you...

    @nickers said:

     Mature says the guy with 66 possible sexual encounters... LOL... You can't make this stuff up... Or can you...

    Oh yeah you could make this stuff up.....and most people would laugh at it.   Unfortunately now it's Cleveland BROWNS  lore, we're stuck with it. 

  • I think he'll go on to have a solid career once he gets settled... With our luck... Watson will magically turn to crap... It would be... So Cleveland... LOL...

  • Ah yes, the part of the ugly breakup where the team that got a 5th for their former first overall pick starts "leaking" stories to the press about the player being a "diva" and "hard to work with".

    This story has only played out hundreds of times in sports...

    Probably better that everyone just moves on

    @mld-woody said:

    Ah yes, the part of the ugly breakup where the team that got a 5th for their former first overall pick starts "leaking" stories to the press about the player being a "diva" and "hard to work with".

    This story has only played out hundreds of times in sports...

    Probably better that everyone just moves on

    These stories have been leaking for well before Mayfield was traded. 

  • @westside-steve said:

    Carolinas front office and staff in some sort of turmoil?

    Panthers staff greatest chance of being fired of any NFL team

    Back-to-back 5-win seasons will do that.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Panthers staff greatest chance of being fired of any NFL team

    Back-to-back 5-win seasons will do that.

    Which will mean less of a chance Mayfield becomes the etched in stone as starter for the panthers. You know the drill flush out the front office the new GM will want his guys. 

    WSS 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Panthers staff greatest chance of being fired of any NFL team

    Back-to-back 5-win seasons will do that.

    Which will mean less of a chance Mayfield becomes the etched in stone as starter for the panthers. You know the drill flush out the front office the new GM will want his guys. 

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

    Which will mean less of a chance Mayfield becomes the etched in stone as starter for the panthers. You know the drill flush out the front office the new GM will want his guys. 

    WSS 

    I think that will be the Mayfield year 1 story.  A little bit of that will be on the Game 1 performance. 

     BRM had a good chance of starting all 17 games....health issues aside..... IF   he comes out of training camp as the #1 guy  NO   questions asked. 

    Part of the 2022 quarterback spotlight should be on Carolina all week, month, season long.

    Adios and good luck Baker  -but- 

    GO BROWNS,  come out ready to run, run, pass and    W-I-N !

  • Baker will be just like Drew Breezy. He will win at least 3 Superbowls. It won't be for us though... maybe his third will be, eh; I can dream. 

    @poeticg said:

    Baker will be just like Drew Breezy. He will win at least 3 Superbowls. It won't be for us though... maybe his third will be, eh; I can dream. 

    Like Saquon Barkley will have 20,000 career rushing yards before he retires?... 

    @dutch-oven said:

    So how many more career starts do you see in Baker? 

    59 so far. 

    I'm not in the prediction business. But somewhere between Colt McCoy's 33 and Andy Dalton's 148.   🙂   I think Z was being facetious.  

  • Obviously, there were more than just OBJ trying to get away from Baker.  But, again, in hindsight, we knew when he wasn't offered a new contract.

  • @nickers said:

     Mature says the guy with 66 possible sexual encounters... LOL... You can't make this stuff up... Or can you...

    Oh yeah you could make this stuff up.....and most people would laugh at it.   Unfortunately now it's Cleveland BROWNS  lore, we're stuck with it. 

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh yeah you could make this stuff up.....and most people would laugh at it.   Unfortunately now it's Cleveland BROWNS  lore, we're stuck with it. 

    Cleveland Browns lore can be made into a novel. 

    It feels as though not a year post 1999 has gone by without this franchise producing some sort of drama.

    And if Baker lights it up in Carolina it will be par for the course.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Oh yeah you could make this stuff up.....and most people would laugh at it.   Unfortunately now it's Cleveland BROWNS  lore, we're stuck with it. 

    Cleveland Browns lore can be made into a novel. 

    It feels as though not a year post 1999 has gone by without this franchise producing some sort of drama.

    And if Baker lights it up in Carolina it will be par for the course.

    @fy56 said:

    Cleveland Browns lore can be made into a novel. 

    It feels as though not a year post 1999 has gone by without this franchise producing some sort of drama.

    And if Baker lights it up in Carolina it will be par for the course.

    i hope he does  - starting w/ the opener

  • As far as the obj stefanski Mayfield Devil's Triangle: as much as I love Mayfield I would absolutely cringe whenever he overthrew or under through a receiver. If the ball bounced off someone's hands then I blame them. But unless Mayfield is calling his own plays why then would he be responsible for obj being over on the other side of the field and open? I would blame whoever called that play. On the other hand if the play is meant to go to obj and Baker missed him then I would blame mayfield. Doesn't that make sense?

    But no doubt any coach any leader is going to be pissed off if somebody calls him out in front of the rest of the team. And that can often bring repercussions to the guy calling him out. I don't call management out at the bars I play at to ownership because that would probably come back to bite me in the ass.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    As far as the obj stefanski Mayfield Devil's Triangle: as much as I love Mayfield I would absolutely cringe whenever he overthrew or under through a receiver. If the ball bounced off someone's hands then I blame them. But unless Mayfield is calling his own plays why then would he be responsible for obj being over on the other side of the field and open? I would blame whoever called that play. On the other hand if the play is meant to go to obj and Baker missed him then I would blame mayfield. Doesn't that make sense?

    But no doubt any coach any leader is going to be pissed off if somebody calls him out in front of the rest of the team. And that can often bring repercussions to the guy calling him out. I don't call management out at the bars I play at to ownership because that would probably come back to bite me in the ass.

    WSS

    Wait am I reading this correctly…the play caller is responsible for a WR being on the other side of the field  and being open.  And this should reflect negatively on the play caller if the QB doesn’t see this? Coaches don’t call a play telling the QB to hit the curl route and ignore the backside skinny post. 

  • Mayfield is with Carolina now.  We play them first regular season game.  And some so called 'Browns fans' are hoping he beats us.