Skip to content

Baker to Carolina

The Browns Board
952 57 40.3k 1
  • this is interesting and this play was beaten to death with review in this forum
     

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/anthony-schwartz-believes-shouldn-t-150322435.html

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @sdbacker80 said:

    this is interesting and this play was beaten to death with review in this forum
     

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/anthony-schwartz-believes-shouldn-t-150322435.html

    And yet Mayfield is going to Carolina ?   Really ?

    Mike Florio, July 25, 2022......

    The promising Cleveland career of former Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield imploded in Week Two of the 2021 season, when Mayfield injured his non-throwing shoulder while making a tackle after throwing an interception.

    For some reason, then-rookie receiver Anthony Schwartz shouldered the blame for the shoulder injury. Schwartz recently addressed the situation in comments to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.......continued........

    .......Cabot makes a couple of references in her article to the “Baker Bros,” fans of Mayfield who loudly believe he can do no wrong. That’s all the more reason for Mayfield to have provided some cover for Schwartz. And it perhaps help explain the conspicuous silence from other Browns players once it seemed clear that the Browns were looking to move on from Mayfield..  EOM.

    And the plot thickens....I guess.....in the removal of Mayfield from Cleveland.   (sure 😆 )

  • @mjp28 said:

    True.  But our Danny boy was an exceptional quarterback (even better with the Marks brothers)  and he doesn't guarantee a SB just like having an OK quarterback on an excellent team can still occasionally sneak one. 

    When anyone says .... "but how many SB Rings does Marino have".... you should include or substitute Kelly,  Fouts or others have.

    Without getting into minutiae about Marino and other like quarterbacks into boredom.      😴

    I get that.. I'm just saying... Theres a bunch of Numbskulls printing SB tickets and this POS hasn't taken one snap for us... Ya know.. It's cool to be enthusiastic and all..  I just wish people would temper that with some plain ol' common sense...

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    I get that.. I'm just saying... Theres a bunch of Numbskulls printing SB tickets and this POS hasn't taken one snap for us... Ya know.. It's cool to be enthusiastic and all..  I just wish people would temper that with some plain ol' common sense...

    he will never see this, so what common sense do you have you dumbass are you saying the rest of the team is garbage or has baker been so deep in your ass that you cant think straight 

  • @lodilobo said:

    If you want clarity...a back up qb is in place to fill in for the starting qb if he can't play due to injury or some other valid reason. I could argue that Mayfield should have been removed from the active roster immediately after the shoulder injury. Every NFL player who is worth anything will deny the severity of his injury, so he isn't benched. No matter how anti - Mayfield you are, unless you're blind, you could see that he was affected by the injury. I refuse to believe that Stefanski was the only one involved in making the decision to continue to play Mayfield, knowing that his play was impaired. He may have been cleared by the medical staff to the extent that he couldn't further damage his shoulder, if he played...probably because they already knew that it would require surgery and extensive rehab, so he would be lost for the season. No...the back up qb was not a better qb, but any real HC would have been able to see that Mayfield struggled beyond the 2nd quarter. He didn't just go from being one of the most accurate deep ball passers, to not being able to get the ball to an open receiver for no reason. I'm not referring to OBJ, here. He, obviously had an agenda to get out of Cleveland before he got here. As I stated before...I would love to see a video of plays that Mayfield delivered to OBJ, in his hands, and were dropped. There were many more of those that I remember, than bad throws to him by Mayfield. 

    I will repeat one more time for the hard of hearing, HE WAS MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.  And participated in practices.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    I will repeat one more time for the hard of hearing, HE WAS MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.  And participated in practices.

    While I GET what you're saying - is practice anything like an NFL game for the QB position?  I'll clarify.  In practice all week - they don't tickle, tackle or SLAM the QB on the turf.  In games, QBs often get hit, tackled and driven into the ground.  If they have an injury on either shoulder, that's going to aggravate the injury immediately.  

    Of course Baker is going to say he feels fine under those practice conditions all week.  He's probably going to look a lot less antsy in the pocket and get through his reads far more efficiently. FWIW, usually the 1st Offense goes against 2nd/scout team Defense in practice..  This is nothing like game day. Therefore, when the HC or whoever addresses the media says he had a good week of practice with very little pain - the medical staff has enough to clear him regarding that.  Can he play vrs should he play - probably involved the guy paying everyone's salary and the FO.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    True.   There is so much more than just being medically cleared to play  NFL football. There is the mentally ready and other coaches issues like playbook time, time with the first team, readiness and quality of the QB2 to play and win.

    Who gives the team the best chance to win plays.

    ----------   ?   ----------

    A friend of mine who lived on our street had tryouts with both the Steelers and Browns he was a first team All Ohio DE and played in the BIG TEN before getting injured.   At Purdue he was 6' 6"  275+  as a freshman  -but-  he told me everyone there was an All something particularly on the first team.

    In the professional tryouts he said how hard it was and those guys were serious about everything.  He eventually washed out on both, got a job in Texas.   Even in tryout football camps those guys generally undrafted players or cut guys trying to catch on somewhere they hit hard  just trying to get one of the few spots left. 

    AND I visited him in Houston in 1981, he was a friend of Cliff Stout and when Pittsburgh was in town they'd go out for a meal and drinks......Bradshaw started every game.  True fact Stout qualified for his NFL carrying a clipboard backing up #12.   

    With his cowboy boots and hat and Oilers jersey a lot of locals (especially the girls) thought he was a player especially when he was out with the players. He was almost 6' 7" and near 300 lbs, whoa and we played backyard football with this guy.     I got to learn a lot about the NFL life and even the reginal college football teams there.

    Oh in our wedding he flew up from Houston the biggest tux we could get was a 46" 3x length for him.  That was 40 years ago...wow.   Friendships, football and life in the blink of an eye.

  • @orion said:

    I will repeat one more time for the hard of hearing, HE WAS MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.  And participated in practices.

    While I GET what you're saying - is practice anything like an NFL game for the QB position?  I'll clarify.  In practice all week - they don't tickle, tackle or SLAM the QB on the turf.  In games, QBs often get hit, tackled and driven into the ground.  If they have an injury on either shoulder, that's going to aggravate the injury immediately.  

    Of course Baker is going to say he feels fine under those practice conditions all week.  He's probably going to look a lot less antsy in the pocket and get through his reads far more efficiently. FWIW, usually the 1st Offense goes against 2nd/scout team Defense in practice..  This is nothing like game day. Therefore, when the HC or whoever addresses the media says he had a good week of practice with very little pain - the medical staff has enough to clear him regarding that.  Can he play vrs should he play - probably involved the guy paying everyone's salary and the FO.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Can he play vrs should he play - probably involved the guy paying everyone's salary and the FO.

    Well, from what we know of Jimmuh, that very well could be.  But I watched the games.  I'm betting you did too.  And it didn't look like he was hurting while playing the game and making the throws.  As the game-day coach, I wouldn't have taken him out based on watching him perform.  Now, the end result of his passing stats may have warranted someone to say that he should be removed...but that wouldn't be based on an injury.  That would be based on having a backup that you think is better than the starter. 

    ...and no, teams don't practice smashing their starting QB's to the ground during preparation for the next game.  🙂

  • @flugel said:

    Can he play vrs should he play - probably involved the guy paying everyone's salary and the FO.

    Well, from what we know of Jimmuh, that very well could be.  But I watched the games.  I'm betting you did too.  And it didn't look like he was hurting while playing the game and making the throws.  As the game-day coach, I wouldn't have taken him out based on watching him perform.  Now, the end result of his passing stats may have warranted someone to say that he should be removed...but that wouldn't be based on an injury.  That would be based on having a backup that you think is better than the starter. 

    ...and no, teams don't practice smashing their starting QB's to the ground during preparation for the next game.  🙂

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Well, from what we know of Jimmuh, that very well could be.  But I watched the games.  I'm betting you did too.  And it didn't look like he was hurting while playing the game and making the throws.  As the game-day coach, I wouldn't have taken him out based on watching him perform.  Now, the end result of his passing stats may have warranted someone to say that he should be removed...but that wouldn't be based on an injury.  That would be based on having a backup that you think is better than the starter. 

    ...and no, teams don't practice smashing their starting QB's to the ground during preparation for the next game.  🙂

    Fair enough. I just didn't see the same guy that threw 26 TD passes to only 8 INTs in 2020.  I mean he threw 4 INTs just on Christmas Day in 2021 (half of the season total the previous year).  I think some games he wasn't in a lot of pain (like you alluded to); and some games he was (depending on how often he was getting hit/planted).

  • @flugel said:

    Can he play vrs should he play - probably involved the guy paying everyone's salary and the FO.

    Well, from what we know of Jimmuh, that very well could be.  But I watched the games.  I'm betting you did too.  And it didn't look like he was hurting while playing the game and making the throws.  As the game-day coach, I wouldn't have taken him out based on watching him perform.  Now, the end result of his passing stats may have warranted someone to say that he should be removed...but that wouldn't be based on an injury.  That would be based on having a backup that you think is better than the starter. 

    ...and no, teams don't practice smashing their starting QB's to the ground during preparation for the next game.  🙂

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    it didn't look like he was hurting while playing the game and making the throws.

    Redefine:  That's not to say that he wasn't actually feeling some level of discomfort.  Just sayin' that he looked, to me, like himself throwing the ball.  

  • @orion said:

    it didn't look like he was hurting while playing the game and making the throws.

    Redefine:  That's not to say that he wasn't actually feeling some level of discomfort.  Just sayin' that he looked, to me, like himself throwing the ball.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Redefine:  That's not to say that he wasn't actually feeling some level of discomfort.  Just sayin' that he looked, to me, like himself throwing the ball.  

    Here's an important take from former GB and Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck that had a very similar injury.

  • @orion said:

    Redefine:  That's not to say that he wasn't actually feeling some level of discomfort.  Just sayin' that he looked, to me, like himself throwing the ball.  

    Here's an important take from former GB and Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck that had a very similar injury.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Here's an important take from former GB and Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck that had a very similar injury.

    Coming from Hasselbeck, that means serious legit reasoning from experience. I just think berry and steph. put Baker out there, and it blew up in their faces, so they dumped on Baker. went on a dumpster dive, and, I believe they will regret it in the future.

  • @orion said:

    Redefine:  That's not to say that he wasn't actually feeling some level of discomfort.  Just sayin' that he looked, to me, like himself throwing the ball.  

    Here's an important take from former GB and Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck that had a very similar injury.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Here's an important take from former GB and Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck that had a very similar injury.

    I saw this take a few months back and totally agree with him... Who better than someone who had the injury with NFL experience... Matt and Tim Hasslebeck were good , serviceable QB's.. Not elite by any means... But good enough to win and manage games... But I still blame Shitpantski for not sitting Baker and starting Keenum...

  • @flugel said:

    Here's an important take from former GB and Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck that had a very similar injury.

    I saw this take a few months back and totally agree with him... Who better than someone who had the injury with NFL experience... Matt and Tim Hasslebeck were good , serviceable QB's.. Not elite by any means... But good enough to win and manage games... But I still blame Shitpantski for not sitting Baker and starting Keenum...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    I saw this take a few months back and totally agree with him... Who better than someone who had the injury with NFL experience... Matt and Tim Hasslebeck were good , serviceable QB's.. Not elite by any means... But good enough to win and manage games... But I still blame Shitpantski for not sitting Baker and starting Keenum...

    FWIW Nicks, Matt Hasslebeck led the Seahawks to a Super Bowl vrs Pittsburgh.  That was one of the worst officiated Super Bowls I have ever seen. 

    Unfortunately, the network got their their dreamy story book ending with Jerome Bettis ending his career and riding off into the Detroit sunset with a Super Bowl Championship just a few blocks away from his parents' house (that he grew up in).

  • @nickers said:

    I saw this take a few months back and totally agree with him... Who better than someone who had the injury with NFL experience... Matt and Tim Hasslebeck were good , serviceable QB's.. Not elite by any means... But good enough to win and manage games... But I still blame Shitpantski for not sitting Baker and starting Keenum...

    FWIW Nicks, Matt Hasslebeck led the Seahawks to a Super Bowl vrs Pittsburgh.  That was one of the worst officiated Super Bowls I have ever seen. 

    Unfortunately, the network got their their dreamy story book ending with Jerome Bettis ending his career and riding off into the Detroit sunset with a Super Bowl Championship just a few blocks away from his parents' house (that he grew up in).

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    @flugel said:

    FWIW Nicks, Matt Hasslebeck led the Seahawks to a Super Bowl vrs Pittsburgh.  That was one of the worst officiated Super Bowls I have ever seen. 

    Unfortunately, the network got their their dreamy story book ending with Jerome Bettis ending his career and riding off into the Detroit sunset with a Super Bowl Championship just a few blocks away from his parents' house (that he grew up in).

    Tom I was so pissed at the "No calls" the stools got away with and hurled my phone half way cross the room...

    Thank God it didn't break... That first Samsung I had was a little work horse!

  • @flugel said:

    FWIW Nicks, Matt Hasslebeck led the Seahawks to a Super Bowl vrs Pittsburgh.  That was one of the worst officiated Super Bowls I have ever seen. 

    Unfortunately, the network got their their dreamy story book ending with Jerome Bettis ending his career and riding off into the Detroit sunset with a Super Bowl Championship just a few blocks away from his parents' house (that he grew up in).

    Tom I was so pissed at the "No calls" the stools got away with and hurled my phone half way cross the room...

    Thank God it didn't break... That first Samsung I had was a little work horse!

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Tom I was so pissed at the "No calls" the stools got away with and hurled my phone half way cross the room...

    Thank God it didn't break... That first Samsung I had was a little work horse!

    That play where Pitt's DE/OLB jumped offsides which everyone on the planet saw but the Line Judge and Linesman only to see Seattle's Tackle busted for holding on that edge rusher was brutal.  It nullified a completed pass that would have set Seattle up with something like a 1st and goal at the 2 yard line for Shaun Alexander to run behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones (both in the NFL HOF today).  Now Seattle got pushed back and Hasselbeck threw an INT on the very next play.

    Nobody stopped that Seattle running game all year. It was just a shame the only thing I remember about that Super Bowl was bad officiating.

  • @nickers said:

    Tom I was so pissed at the "No calls" the stools got away with and hurled my phone half way cross the room...

    Thank God it didn't break... That first Samsung I had was a little work horse!

    That play where Pitt's DE/OLB jumped offsides which everyone on the planet saw but the Line Judge and Linesman only to see Seattle's Tackle busted for holding on that edge rusher was brutal.  It nullified a completed pass that would have set Seattle up with something like a 1st and goal at the 2 yard line for Shaun Alexander to run behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones (both in the NFL HOF today).  Now Seattle got pushed back and Hasselbeck threw an INT on the very next play.

    Nobody stopped that Seattle running game all year. It was just a shame the only thing I remember about that Super Bowl was bad officiating.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    That play where Pitt's DE/OLB jumped offsides which everyone on the planet saw but the Line Judge and Linesman only to see Seattle's Tackle busted for holding on that edge rusher was brutal.  It nullified a completed pass that would have set Seattle up with something like a 1st and goal at the 2 yard line for Shaun Alexander to run behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones (both in the NFL HOF today).  Now Seattle got pushed back and Hasselbeck threw an INT on the very next play.

    Nobody stopped that Seattle running game all year. It was just a shame the only thing I remember about that Super Bowl was bad officiating.

    that game....was the best example of the worst referring of fake pro wrestlin we used to laugh at back in hs days. The NFL should be ashamed.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    That game... was the best example of the worst referring of fake pro wrestlin we used to laugh at back in hs days. The NFL should be ashamed.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    meanwhile, it's interesting to read:

    https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-training-camp-tracker-horn-mayfield-corral-darnold/?itm_source=parsely-api

    "Baker Mayfield three touchdown passes in red zone drills. Perhaps a bit of separation from Sam Darnold, who scrambled for one.

    — David Newton (@DNewtonespn) August 1, 2022

    Panthers camp highlights
    – Darnold working with 1s. Nice RZ rushing TD on designed QB keep. TD pass to Shi Smith.
    – Baker w/ 2s but got 1st team reps during a team session. (It’s fluid).
    – Darnold w/ two fumbles during RZ on RB exchanges.
    – Baker 3 RZ TD passes, one to Higgins"

  • meanwhile, it's interesting to read:

    https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-training-camp-tracker-horn-mayfield-corral-darnold/?itm_source=parsely-api

    "Baker Mayfield three touchdown passes in red zone drills. Perhaps a bit of separation from Sam Darnold, who scrambled for one.

    — David Newton (@DNewtonespn) August 1, 2022

    Panthers camp highlights
    – Darnold working with 1s. Nice RZ rushing TD on designed QB keep. TD pass to Shi Smith.
    – Baker w/ 2s but got 1st team reps during a team session. (It’s fluid).
    – Darnold w/ two fumbles during RZ on RB exchanges.
    – Baker 3 RZ TD passes, one to Higgins"

    F FY56 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    meanwhile, it's interesting to read:

    "Interesting"? ...depends on who you're talking to. 

    This is a Baker to Carolina thread so fuck em if they give you a hard time. LOL

  • meanwhile, it's interesting to read:

    https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-training-camp-tracker-horn-mayfield-corral-darnold/?itm_source=parsely-api

    "Baker Mayfield three touchdown passes in red zone drills. Perhaps a bit of separation from Sam Darnold, who scrambled for one.

    — David Newton (@DNewtonespn) August 1, 2022

    Panthers camp highlights
    – Darnold working with 1s. Nice RZ rushing TD on designed QB keep. TD pass to Shi Smith.
    – Baker w/ 2s but got 1st team reps during a team session. (It’s fluid).
    – Darnold w/ two fumbles during RZ on RB exchanges.
    – Baker 3 RZ TD passes, one to Higgins"

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @calfoxwc said:

    meanwhile, it's interesting to read:

    https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-training-camp-tracker-horn-mayfield-corral-darnold/?itm_source=parsely-api

    "Baker Mayfield three touchdown passes in red zone drills. Perhaps a bit of separation from Sam Darnold, who scrambled for one.

    — David Newton (@DNewtonespn) August 1, 2022

    Panthers camp highlights
    – Darnold working with 1s. Nice RZ rushing TD on designed QB keep. TD pass to Shi Smith.
    – Baker w/ 2s but got 1st team reps during a team session. (It’s fluid).
    – Darnold w/ two fumbles during RZ on RB exchanges.
    – Baker 3 RZ TD passes, one to Higgins"

    Like I care? He doesn't play for the Browns anymore.... Got any Jarvis Landry updates for us while you're at it?

    FWIW, I have a Carolina Panthers baseball cap that I got (for free) many years ago on my trip to see the Browns play in Charlotte... I'll be happy to send it to you.   😁 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    meanwhile, it's interesting to read:

    https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-training-camp-tracker-horn-mayfield-corral-darnold/?itm_source=parsely-api

    "Baker Mayfield three touchdown passes in red zone drills. Perhaps a bit of separation from Sam Darnold, who scrambled for one.

    — David Newton (@DNewtonespn) August 1, 2022

    Panthers camp highlights
    – Darnold working with 1s. Nice RZ rushing TD on designed QB keep. TD pass to Shi Smith.
    – Baker w/ 2s but got 1st team reps during a team session. (It’s fluid).
    – Darnold w/ two fumbles during RZ on RB exchanges.
    – Baker 3 RZ TD passes, one to Higgins"

    Like I care? He doesn't play for the Browns anymore.... Got any Jarvis Landry updates for us while you're at it?

    FWIW, I have a Carolina Panthers baseball cap that I got (for free) many years ago on my trip to see the Browns play in Charlotte... I'll be happy to send it to you.   😁 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Like I care? He doesn't play for the Browns anymore.... Got any Jarvis Landry updates for us while you're at it?

    FWIW, I have a Carolina Panthers baseball cap that I got (for free) many years ago on my trip to see the Browns play in Charlotte... I'll be happy to send it to you.   😁 

    I wouldn't expect you to care - I mean, it's 12:13 PM, and 12 hrs ago...

    never mind.

       I don't need a cap for just one game, but thanks. If you read the title of the thread, you will get enlightened. Have a nice day.

  • @hoorta said:

    Like I care? He doesn't play for the Browns anymore.... Got any Jarvis Landry updates for us while you're at it?

    FWIW, I have a Carolina Panthers baseball cap that I got (for free) many years ago on my trip to see the Browns play in Charlotte... I'll be happy to send it to you.   😁 

    I wouldn't expect you to care - I mean, it's 12:13 PM, and 12 hrs ago...

    never mind.

       I don't need a cap for just one game, but thanks. If you read the title of the thread, you will get enlightened. Have a nice day.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

       I don't need a cap for just one game 

    In the other thread you admitted to hoping the Browns lose every game with Watson playing. 

    Sounds like you should take up that offer for said cap.