sous vide. .... and all about steaks
-
I like my steak medium rare. My father used to only eat well done.
-
I like my steak medium rare. My father used to only eat well done.
I like my steak medium rare. My father used to only eat well done.
I've seen a lot of these charts, here's another one. So which is right for you ?
Mine barely medium. My wife meduim-well. Everyone else is all over the chart. I met a guy at a steak dinner it was sizzle maybe 15 seconds, flip, repeat off, bloody. UCK.
My #1 tip, start with a good cut of meat the rest is easy.
TRY THIS, enlarge if necessary:
-
Medium rare.
-
I like my steak medium rare. My father used to only eat well done.
I like my steak medium rare. My father used to only eat well done.
I like to hear the last "Moo!" as I poke it with the carving fork take it off the grill.??
-
I like my steak medium rare. My father used to only eat well done.
I like to hear the last "Moo!" as I poke it with the carving fork take it off the grill.??
I like to hear the last "Moo!" as I poke it with the carving fork take it off the grill.??
I tried medium rare for awhile but in a restaurant most were coming back too rare for me.....blood dripping on the plate.
I like "barely medium " the warm pink center.....or at home "just right ". I will say my wife is getting better on the grill but I still prefer mine.
Not medium well, NEVER well what's the point ? Especially on great cuts like a USDA prime ribeye.
Another more important chart.
-
Gotta say, I've bought 'prime' steaks before and didn't notice any difference in the tenderness or flavor. Only in the amount I paid for them.
-
But when it comes down to the "nitty gritty " of delicious grades and cuts of meat......especially your steaks on the grill, it comes down to one thing ???.
That's right price and availability of the steaks where you shop. My grandmother the best cook I've every known once worked at Sparkles grocery store primarily in the meat department. She taught me what to look for and what was a good affordable buy.
The Prime naturally are best but can get expensive if even available at your local store. The USDA has another very handy grading scale for meat as shown :
Beef Quality Grades (Eight)
There are eight beef quality grades. The grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).
1. U.S. Prime – Highest in quality and intramuscular fat, limited supply. Currently, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.
2. U.S. Choice – High quality, widely available in foodservice industry and retail markets. Choice carcasses are 53.7% of the fed cattle total. The difference between Choice and Prime is largely due to the fat content in the beef. Prime typically has a higher fat content (more and well distributed intramuscular "marbling") than Choice.3. U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.
4. U.S. Standard – Lower quality, yet economical, lacking marbling.
5. U.S. Commercial – Low quality, lacking tenderness, produced from older animals.
6. U.S. Utility
7. U.S. Cutter8. U.S. Canner
-
Gotta say, I've bought 'prime' steaks before and didn't notice any difference in the tenderness or flavor. Only in the amount I paid for them.
Gotta say, I've bought 'prime' steaks before and didn't notice any difference in the tenderness or flavor. Only in the amount I paid for them.
The best steaks I've had in the past year came from the Ft. Hood commissary. They were Angus beef T-bones, but I don't recall they were graded any better than select. But they sure were tender. They were cut relatively thin for T-bones, so I touched them on the grill a couple of minutes per side. When I get back home from Colorado I will take a peak at the ones I still have in the freezer and see how they were graded.
-
Gotta say, I've bought 'prime' steaks before and didn't notice any difference in the tenderness or flavor. Only in the amount I paid for them.
Gotta say, I've bought 'prime' steaks before and didn't notice any difference in the tenderness or flavor. Only in the amount I paid for them.
NOTE : Some places try to pass off choice as Prime that's why it's nice to know and trust your butcher or meat store.
The good about 3-4% of prime steaks generally go to the top restaurants or meat stores. The rest of the choice steaks move on down the chain.
The best prime steaks cost more ! Some places will give you all kinds of stories about their meat grades. Trust the USDA charts.
-
Gotta say, I've bought 'prime' steaks before and didn't notice any difference in the tenderness or flavor. Only in the amount I paid for them.
The best steaks I've had in the past year came from the Ft. Hood commissary. They were Angus beef T-bones, but I don't recall they were graded any better than select. But they sure were tender. They were cut relatively thin for T-bones, so I touched them on the grill a couple of minutes per side. When I get back home from Colorado I will take a peak at the ones I still have in the freezer and see how they were graded.
The best steaks I've had in the past year came from the Ft. Hood commissary. They were Angus beef T-bones, but I don't recall they were graded any better than select. But they sure were tender. They were cut relatively thin for T-bones, so I touched them on the grill a couple of minutes per side. When I get back home from Colorado I will take a peak at the ones I still have in the freezer and see how they were graded.
Angus is from a breeders association NOT a USDA ranking. I remember having this discussion with the gip on this briefly:
So, What’s Angus Beef?
Angus is a breed of cattle known widely for its marbling, consistency, and juicy flavors. While it can—and often does—fall into one of the top USDA classifications, Angus is a breed, not a third-party standard or type of meat. It’s a factor you should consider in addition to the USDA classification instead of as opposed to a particular grade like USDA Prime.
Beef sourced from Angus cattle is often high quality, but diet, genetics, and handling practices all contribute to the final product.
How Do You Know Which Beef to Choose?
Doing some quick research will help you find a quality beef product. Understanding the USDA classifications and differences between types of beef is a good first step. You’ll also want to look into beef brands and consider their feeding and handling practices........
●----> ANOTHER EXPLANATION OF ANGUS vs USDA.....not by any beef association.
We talk a lot about industry naming and labeling, and for a good reason: There are many confusing beef cut names, quality grades, and beef industry marketing tricks. Consumers are unlikely to know the differences between USDA prime beef, organic steak, and grass-fed, grass-finished meat.
One brand name that has been used by the beef industry, steak restaurants, and fast food joints for a number of years is “Angus.”
★ READ THIS ! Angus beef is often used to designate a better quality product. But in reality, the term has nothing to do with quality grades, better marbling, superior taste, or even beef that is raised to some sort of stringent requirements. If anything, the term Angus may be nothing more than a way to charge a higher price for beef that is quite ordinary, yet, in limited supply.
★ AND THIS ! In fact, Angus is so prevalent, both McDonald’s and Burger King have served their own versions of “Angus” burgers at one time or another.
If Ronald McDonald and the King are slinging a product, that should be an indicator that a product is not quite what you might expect.
What exactly is Angus beef?
Angus is a term used for any beef that comes from the specific type of cattle known as the Angus breed. There are two types of Angus: Black Angus and Red Angus, and both can trace their roots back to Scotland........
-
-
Any more questions on steak, USDA, Angus, whatever just ask.....I'll try to explain it. Most of my references are from the USDA, beef.com , Angus associations and others.
Remember: Beef, it's what's for dinner ? It's an American advertising slogan and campaign aimed at promoting the consumption of beef. The ad campaign was launched in 1992 by the National Livestock and Meat Board and is funded by the Beef Checkoff Program with the creative guidance of VMLY&R. It's how it works, advertising paid for by associations. And remember Sam Elliot ? The voice. $ millions floating around. The financing is amazing.....well to me a numbers guy.
-
We grill our steaks, preferable, rib eye, about 300 degrees, two minutes on a side. It turns out like
a bit more rare than medium. Just pink in the center. That is for a steak that isn't very thick.
they keep turning out terrific - but my grill - the burners and shields have rusted out. Grease pan rusted out.
Cheap crap. lol.
We are looking at different grills, specifically a Blackstone grill. Haven't decided yet.
-
We grill our steaks, preferable, rib eye, about 300 degrees, two minutes on a side. It turns out like
a bit more rare than medium. Just pink in the center. That is for a steak that isn't very thick.
they keep turning out terrific - but my grill - the burners and shields have rusted out. Grease pan rusted out.
Cheap crap. lol.
We are looking at different grills, specifically a Blackstone grill. Haven't decided yet.
We grill our steaks, preferable, rib eye, about 300 degrees, two minutes on a side. It turns out like
a bit more rare than medium. Just pink in the center. That is for a steak that isn't very thick.
they keep turning out terrific - but my grill - the burners and shields have rusted out. Grease pan rusted out.
Cheap crap. lol.
We are looking at different grills, specifically a * Blackstone grill. Haven't decided yet.
* Several of our TBB members have Blackstone grills. syd, Cambridgeho come to mind from the GAMEDAY FORUM, most people I know really like them.
You can ask around there. Also Weber and others.
-
We grill our steaks, preferable, rib eye, about 300 degrees, two minutes on a side. It turns out like
a bit more rare than medium. Just pink in the center. That is for a steak that isn't very thick.
they keep turning out terrific - but my grill - the burners and shields have rusted out. Grease pan rusted out.
Cheap crap. lol.
We are looking at different grills, specifically a * Blackstone grill. Haven't decided yet.
* Several of our TBB members have Blackstone grills. syd, Cambridgeho come to mind from the GAMEDAY FORUM, most people I know really like them.
You can ask around there. Also Weber and others.
-
We grill our steaks, preferable, rib eye, about 300 degrees, two minutes on a side. It turns out like
a bit more rare than medium. Just pink in the center. That is for a steak that isn't very thick.
they keep turning out terrific - but my grill - the burners and shields have rusted out. Grease pan rusted out.
Cheap crap. lol.
We are looking at different grills, specifically a * Blackstone grill. Haven't decided yet.
* Several of our TBB members have Blackstone grills. syd, Cambridgeho come to mind from the GAMEDAY FORUM, most people I know really like them.
You can ask around there. Also Weber and others.
-
I only use Weber kettle, with the charcoal chimney. Don't care for gas grills.
Weber also a top notch grill.
-
I gave my father in law in Japan my weber grill in 1982. He's no longer around, but his son is still using it.
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
.jpeg.1ff6c4c67a6cc2b236e0593fbed70c84.jpeg)
