Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. One for Tex

One for Tex

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
7 Posts 4 Posters 554 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • DieHardBrownsFan1 DieHardBrownsFan1D One Year In Posting Machine Very Popular One Month Later Week One Done Dedicated Collaborator Conversation Starter Reacting Well First Post
    • 4k Posts
    • 3k Reputation
    DieHardBrownsFan1D DieHardBrownsFan1 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Vambo VamboV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter First Post Posting Machine Collaborator Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
      • 18k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
      #2
      Dem-run city could force private businesses to house the homeless
      STREETS TO SUITES

      Dem-run city could force private businesses to house the homeless

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
        • 64k Posts
        • 8k Reputation
        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
        #3

        seems that our gov is doing the same things to get to where people live like in venezuela, you betcha.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 23k Posts
          • 6k Reputation
          T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
          #4

          Interesting. I just finished a Nelson Demille novel entitled The Deserter, most of which takes place in Caracas. And guess where the dangerous area is. Yep, it was Petare and more specifically the Barrio 24 de Julio in the northern part of Petare and very near Julian Blanco which they say they are in there in the video around the 15:58 mark. In fact Petare has a number of Barrios within it's boundaries where the poorest of the poor live. The short year I lived in Caracas I lived in an area called Los Palos Grandes which is around 4 miles or so from Petare. I sure would not go there now. Way too dangerous for Americans for sure. She even points out Mt. Avila from the "balcony" of her house. Our home we rented was at the base of that mountain. Very strange to revisit 60 years later. Thanks for the video. Brought back old memories of our first two weeks there as well. We lived in the Hotel Tamanaco while our Dad completed Spanish language school. Great view of Mt. Avila across the way from it and the first time I'd ever seen a mountain in my life.

          DieHardBrownsFan1D 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • T TexasAg1969

            Interesting. I just finished a Nelson Demille novel entitled The Deserter, most of which takes place in Caracas. And guess where the dangerous area is. Yep, it was Petare and more specifically the Barrio 24 de Julio in the northern part of Petare and very near Julian Blanco which they say they are in there in the video around the 15:58 mark. In fact Petare has a number of Barrios within it's boundaries where the poorest of the poor live. The short year I lived in Caracas I lived in an area called Los Palos Grandes which is around 4 miles or so from Petare. I sure would not go there now. Way too dangerous for Americans for sure. She even points out Mt. Avila from the "balcony" of her house. Our home we rented was at the base of that mountain. Very strange to revisit 60 years later. Thanks for the video. Brought back old memories of our first two weeks there as well. We lived in the Hotel Tamanaco while our Dad completed Spanish language school. Great view of Mt. Avila across the way from it and the first time I'd ever seen a mountain in my life.

            DieHardBrownsFan1 DieHardBrownsFan1D One Year In Posting Machine Very Popular One Month Later Week One Done Dedicated Collaborator Conversation Starter Reacting Well First Post
            • 4k Posts
            • 3k Reputation
            DieHardBrownsFan1D DieHardBrownsFan1 wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan1
            #5

            @texasag1969 said:

            Interesting. I just finished a Nelson Demille novel entitled The Deserter, most of which takes place in Caracas. And guess where the dangerous area is. Yep, it was Petare and more specifically the Barrio 24 de Julio in the northern part of Petare and very near Julian Blanco which they say they are in there in the video around the 15:58 mark. In fact Petare has a number of Barrios within it's boundaries where the poorest of the poor live. The short year I lived in Caracas I lived in an area called Los Palos Grandes which is around 4 miles or so from Petare. I sure would not go there now. Way too dangerous for Americans for sure. She even points out Mt. Avila from the "balcony" of her house. Our home we rented was at the base of that mountain. Very strange to revisit 60 years later. Thanks for the video. Brought back old memories of our first two weeks there as well. We lived in the Hotel Tamanaco while our Dad completed Spanish language school. Great view of Mt. Avila across the way from it and the first time I'd ever seen a mountain in my life.

            Kind of reminds me of the Phillippines.  A few times I would pick up a girl and she would take me home.  And her whole family lived there.

            T 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • DieHardBrownsFan1D DieHardBrownsFan1

              @texasag1969 said:

              Interesting. I just finished a Nelson Demille novel entitled The Deserter, most of which takes place in Caracas. And guess where the dangerous area is. Yep, it was Petare and more specifically the Barrio 24 de Julio in the northern part of Petare and very near Julian Blanco which they say they are in there in the video around the 15:58 mark. In fact Petare has a number of Barrios within it's boundaries where the poorest of the poor live. The short year I lived in Caracas I lived in an area called Los Palos Grandes which is around 4 miles or so from Petare. I sure would not go there now. Way too dangerous for Americans for sure. She even points out Mt. Avila from the "balcony" of her house. Our home we rented was at the base of that mountain. Very strange to revisit 60 years later. Thanks for the video. Brought back old memories of our first two weeks there as well. We lived in the Hotel Tamanaco while our Dad completed Spanish language school. Great view of Mt. Avila across the way from it and the first time I'd ever seen a mountain in my life.

              Kind of reminds me of the Phillippines.  A few times I would pick up a girl and she would take me home.  And her whole family lived there.

              TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 23k Posts
              • 6k Reputation
              T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

              Kind of reminds me of the Phillippines.  A few times I would pick up a girl and she would take me home.  And her whole family lived there.

              Well just for those few 10 months living in Caracas I had one of those 17 year old Venezuelan beauties living right next door who enjoyed giving this then 14 y.o+ boy conversational Spanish lessons. I tell ya if you've seen those Miss Universe and Miss World Venezuelans, then you know why I was deeply in love.????

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 23k Posts
                • 6k Reputation
                T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Take a modern day trip to the top of Mt. Avila via the teleferico (cable car) which we did around 1961. With my hearing aids in I don't need the subtitles at all. Venezuelan Spanish is different from Castillian Spanish for sure. The one thing I did not understand was not in translation, but the price she quotes in Bolivars to dollars was back to the old rate of 5Bs to the $1. That made no sense because the going rate elsewhere is over 5 Million Bs to the 1$. Makes me wonder if they found a way to get back to the rate of 60 years ago somehow. Anyway I still have some of the old silver 5B coins. 

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply

                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                Register Login
                Reply
                • Reply as topic
                Log in to reply
                • Oldest to Newest
                • Newest to Oldest
                • Most Votes


                Theme
                • System
                • Light
                • Dark
                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                • First post
                  Last post
                0
                • Forums
                • Recent
                • Popular
                • Users
                • Donate