Skip to content

Eagles at Browns preseason game 2 chatroom

The Browns Board
81 20 3.5k 1
  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #58

    The Harley kid and Kelly impressed the hell out of me... Schwartz may need the FORCE to stay on this team... He looks lost out there... year 2 in 3 year window... Kid better pick it up a ton...

  • The Harley kid and Kelly impressed the hell out of me... Schwartz may need the FORCE to stay on this team... He looks lost out there... year 2 in 3 year window... Kid better pick it up a ton...

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @nickers said:

    The Harley kid and Kelly impressed the hell out of me... Schwartz may need the FORCE to stay on this team... He looks lost out there... year 2 in 3 year window... Kid better pick it up a ton...


    Re Schwartz…

    His playing strength is terrible how many times is the guy going to be tripped up or arm tackled on end arounds and his hands are awful.   You would hope in year 2 these aspects would be better but by how much?   Otherwise, He seems to know where he needs to be and can operate in our scheme- aspects that can be improved. I think he plays a tick slower than his actual speed so how much of his speed is really a luxury? 
     

    Maybe he’s not a football player. 
     

    Id like to see the guy you mentioned Harley next week taking the end around and splitting out catching 10 yard outs.  

  • @flugel said:

    I hear ya Gumbs!  If Berry is waiting for Schwartz to just get coached up - good luck with that!  This guy runs himself into coverage far more than he knows how to sit on a route in space.  There's absolutely no feel for the game in this guy.  Even worse, he can't catch.  I remembered hearing the Browns were just going to coach up Quincy Morgan, Michael Jackson, and Greg Little.  It sure felt like those guys were serial drive killers.  The problem with wasting too much time on guys like that when we had a guy like Keenan McCardell on our roster getting very few chances here - is/was the Browns gave up on the better player WITH upside sticking with the bad idea.  If square pegging round holes was the right thing to do, the Browns would have way more than 2 playoff appearance since 1999.

    I'm guessing the reasons nobody signed Fuller yet are he's never healthy and he tested positive for PEDs within the last year or so.  Maybe injuries around the league will make him more attractive to teams in need.  I'd rather stay away from guys like him and DeSean Jackson and try to see what we have in a guy like Felton in the slot/flanked out or in motion.  

    Michael Jackson/Michael Dyson was fine..... It was guys like Kevin Johnson and Dennis Northcutt(Dropcutt) that really sucked...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @nickers said:

    Michael Jackson/Michael Dyson was fine..... It was guys like Kevin Johnson and Dennis Northcutt(Dropcutt) that really sucked...

    I really liked Kevin Johnson.  Very reliable and ran great routes.  H had close to 1000 yards receiving as a rookie for Tim Couch and led us in receptions.  The thing about KJ is he always played when he was hurt, which is a thing fans for 31 other teams tend to appreciate more than our fanbase.  KJ played through a groin and hammy injury during his 2ndd year; which really decreased his efficiency out there. He was more of a change of direction guy IMO.  Recruited by Syracuse to play QB in Donovan McNabb's class; so they switched him to WR during his soph year.  He came to us without a ton of experience playing WR and played well IMO.  Tell you what, you give me a rookie this year with 986 yards receiving and 8 TDs receiving - who's gonna complain about him?  That's what KJ did back in 99. In his 3rd year he had 84 receptions for 1097 yards and 9 TDs after the injury riddled 2nd year (but gutted out 16 games for us),  We could use that kind of productivity this year.

    I'll agree Northcutt was disappointing as a WR.

  • - IDL is still  'Meh' 

    - Dobbs looked in command 

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

    - Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

    - Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @tiamat63 said:

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    NFL radio had a interview with Philly's WR Devon Allen today..(well spoken kid)

    1.) That was his 1st TD catch, since his last at Oregon 6 years ago ?.. 

    2.) He's age 27.. He was put in the game for that 1 designed call..Played some ST's

    3) After running hurdles & years of track.. He decided to show up at Oregon's pro day as a alum walk-in 2022.. Slick Runs a 4.35

    4.) He knows Philly is loaded at WR.. But he hopes to make the squad or PS... I'd take another look at his development, if he's PS'd in 4-6 weeks     

  • @tiamat63 said:

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    NFL radio had a interview with Philly's WR Devon Allen today..(well spoken kid)

    1.) That was his 1st TD catch, since his last at Oregon 6 years ago ?.. 

    2.) He's age 27.. He was put in the game for that 1 designed call..Played some ST's

    3) After running hurdles & years of track.. He decided to show up at Oregon's pro day as a alum walk-in 2022.. Slick Runs a 4.35

    4.) He knows Philly is loaded at WR.. But he hopes to make the squad or PS... I'd take another look at his development, if he's PS'd in 4-6 weeks     

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @gumby73 said:

    NFL radio had a interview with Philly's WR Devon Allen today..(well spoken kid)

    1.) That was his 1st TD catch, since his last at Oregon 6 years ago ?.. 

    2.) He's age 27.. He was put in the game for that 1 designed call..Played some ST's

    3) After running hurdles & years of track.. He decided to show up at Oregon's pro day as a alum walk-in 2022.. Slick Runs a 4.35

    4.) He knows Philly is loaded at WR.. But he hopes to make the squad or PS... I'd take another look at his development, if he's PS'd in 4-6 weeks     

    Philly is stacked at WR and CLE is stacked at RB….?

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Kevin Johnson.....I didn't like him at all.  Jerry Rice was working with receivers when KJ came into the league.  He wanted KJ to come and work with him.  An interviewer asked KJ if he was planning on going to see Rice and KJ said, No, I don't need his help.  So, I said to myself, Oh, you're mister Know-It-All then.

    Then, in one game, it was like 3rd and 7.....he made a nice 'going to the ground' catch for the 1st down....but he saw a defender coming towards him....so he started rolling backwards...and when he was tagged down he had lost the 1st down and we had to punt.  Butch Davis took him out of the game and he never saw the field again.   

    Northcutt was pretty good....but he dropped that damn easy first down catch in the playoff game against the Steelers.  All of my friends were at my house and they all let out a collective OH!!!! at the same time.  That would've essentially ended the game...but as we all know....it didn't....and we lost....and none of us will ever forgive Dropcutt for that!   EVER!!  -  I'll never forget Chris Palmer, and all of his broken QB's because they didn't get Couch an OL.......he actually played Northcutt at QB and had him run the ball.  This was before the Wild Cat came into being....but he got no credit for it.

    Schwartz....I think Berry and Co. have too much of a draft ego to cut him this year.  Maybe before the season is over if he proves to continue to be worthless....but I doubt they cut him before the season starts.

  • @hoorta said:

    I hope you're wrong about Schwartz. Hey Mr. Podesta, would you tell us his drop rate? Can't remember the guy's name, but way back the Bengals had a high first round WR with the same problem that they suffered through three seasons with before they cut bait. 

    One other thing that honked me off. The last play of the first half. No guts, no glory. One play from the one yard line. Let's settle for a chip shot FG? It's preseason Kev. 

    You're thinking of John Ross out of Udub.    And Schwartz' college drop rate was right around 10%.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @tiamat63 said:

    You're thinking of John Ross out of Udub.    And Schwartz' college drop rate was right around 10%.

    Yes, Ross may be a better comparison to Schwartz. He of setting the Combine record in the 40.  However, that's not who I had in mind. You have to go back farther to 2000 where the Bengals drafted Peter Warrick 4th overall. Lasted three seasons. Seriously under performed his draft status...

    Look no farther than the Bengals first round picks as to why they've generally sucked. Littered with some all-time stinkers.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_first-round_draft_picks

  • - IDL is still  'Meh' 

    - Dobbs looked in command 

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

    - Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

    - Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #65

    @tiamat63 said:

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that

    Because reasons: PFF Defensive Ratings

    If you had Moffat as the highest rated defensive player, you win the Jugs machine signed by Billy Vegas.

  • @gumby73 said:

    NFL radio had a interview with Philly's WR Devon Allen today..(well spoken kid)

    1.) That was his 1st TD catch, since his last at Oregon 6 years ago ?.. 

    2.) He's age 27.. He was put in the game for that 1 designed call..Played some ST's

    3) After running hurdles & years of track.. He decided to show up at Oregon's pro day as a alum walk-in 2022.. Slick Runs a 4.35

    4.) He knows Philly is loaded at WR.. But he hopes to make the squad or PS... I'd take another look at his development, if he's PS'd in 4-6 weeks     

    Philly is stacked at WR and CLE is stacked at RB….?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @canton-dawg said:

    Philly is stacked at WR and CLE is stacked at RB….?

     NFL.com Gregg Rosenthal ,

     Last week in this space, I noted how the Browns could afford to deal running back Kareem Hunt because of their deep backfield if they found a taker. The comedy duo Bo Wulf and Zach Berman of The Athletic noted Friday that Eagles coach Nick Sirianni introduced himself to Hunt at joint practices in the same week that Miles Sanders hurt his hamstring. Another route would be trying to trade a spare Eagles receiver for D'Ernest Johnson. It wasn't so long ago the Browns were deep at wideout and the Eagles were scrambling for options, but the analytical tables have turned.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that

    Because reasons: PFF Defensive Ratings

    If you had Moffat as the highest rated defensive player, you win the Jugs machine signed by Billy Vegas.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @unsympathetic said:

    Because reasons: PFF Defensive Ratings

    If you had Moffat as the highest rated defensive player, you win the Jugs machine signed by Billy Vegas.

    Coaches film was up this morning, and I already gave it a look.  Pretty much exactly what it was when we were all talking.  Giving it a second go-over, I'm willing to absolve Moffat.... but just a bit.   Both corners got roasted, especially #29 who looks pretty damn slow.  Like, 4.6 slow.   

    I'll try to jump on that later and get some shots up in another thread.

  • @nickers said:

    The Harley kid and Kelly impressed the hell out of me... Schwartz may need the FORCE to stay on this team... He looks lost out there... year 2 in 3 year window... Kid better pick it up a ton...


    Re Schwartz…

    His playing strength is terrible how many times is the guy going to be tripped up or arm tackled on end arounds and his hands are awful.   You would hope in year 2 these aspects would be better but by how much?   Otherwise, He seems to know where he needs to be and can operate in our scheme- aspects that can be improved. I think he plays a tick slower than his actual speed so how much of his speed is really a luxury? 
     

    Maybe he’s not a football player. 
     

    Id like to see the guy you mentioned Harley next week taking the end around and splitting out catching 10 yard outs.  

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @sdbacker80 said:


    Re Schwartz…

    Id like to see the guy you mentioned Harley next week taking the end around and splitting out catching 10 yard outs.  

    New day..New WR target.. ?

     
    llzpvCOK_normal.jpg
     
     
    Source: Former #Colts WR Ty Hilton has interest from the #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png and #Ravens, both teams have an interest in adding a veteran wide receiver to their current groups.
     
     

    Age 32 may not fit Berry's Lynics ? But, TY Hilton would give Jacoby Bissette a former target from his Colts days.. 

    Kinda shocked the Colts added QB Matt Ryan.. but TY is still a FA

  • - IDL is still  'Meh' 

    - Dobbs looked in command 

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

    - Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

    - Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @tiamat63 said:

    - IDL is still  'Meh' 

    - Dobbs looked in command 

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

    - Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

    - Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

    On defense, it was hard to take ANYTHING away from that game. They made Gardner Minshew look like Joe Montana with what they gave him.  I never thought he was a bad QB.  He just had the misfortune of being a Jax Jaguar when it was his time to start.  IMO, he's a very reliable backup.

    We watched a lot of guys that won't make the team on both sides so even though an Alex Wright performed better per say; the reason he was drafted in round 3 is to compete for rotation reps with the first unit. 

    On offense, it was nice to see Bell play and make some catches.  Schwartz was still Schwartz.  Dobbs was fun to watch again.  We had some guys trying some Center for us like Dunn, Hoffman, Froholdt and I think I saw Hance in there as well.  Hance is 6-6 and Dunn and Froholdt are both 6-5 so their big challenge in the trenches will be keeping lower pad height at the snap. I'm gonna be honest and say sometimes it got hard to focus on what guy was in at Center. I saw Dunn lock up a few times where his first 2 steps after collision were backward and then he'd get himself repositioned and drive his man downfield in each instance. That's not going to be as easy with the more stout DTs weighing in at 350 lbs or so.  At least we have candidates; but right now they're doing more thinking than playing with experience and polish. Callahan should be able help whoever emerges as the starter IMO. I'll try to pay attention to this position in particular vrs the Bears this week.

  • @sdbacker80 said:


    Re Schwartz…

    Id like to see the guy you mentioned Harley next week taking the end around and splitting out catching 10 yard outs.  

    New day..New WR target.. ?

     
    llzpvCOK_normal.jpg
     
     
    Source: Former #Colts WR Ty Hilton has interest from the #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png and #Ravens, both teams have an interest in adding a veteran wide receiver to their current groups.
     
     

    Age 32 may not fit Berry's Lynics ? But, TY Hilton would give Jacoby Bissette a former target from his Colts days.. 

    Kinda shocked the Colts added QB Matt Ryan.. but TY is still a FA

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #70

    @gumby73 said:

    New day..New WR target.. ?

     
    llzpvCOK_normal.jpg
     
     
    Source: Former #Colts WR Ty Hilton has interest from the #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png and #Ravens, both teams have an interest in adding a veteran wide receiver to their current groups.
     
     

    Age 32 may not fit Berry's Lynics ? But, TY Hilton would give Jacoby Bissette a former target from his Colts days.. 

    Kinda shocked the Colts added QB Matt Ryan.. but TY is still a FA

    Between TY and Fuller we might be able to get a dozen games. 

    I like the idea though as you mentioned being a former target of Brissett.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    - IDL is still  'Meh' 

    - Dobbs looked in command 

    - Moffett and, whoever the boundary corner was on the play, blew the zone replace on that deep po.  I was in discord talking to @nero and Electrc ( not sure who that is on this board though)...  and was rewinding the play -  looked like a yankee with the over going from boundary to field.  Middle field safety stepped to the over and there was no replace on his middle 1/3. Plus Moffett was hanging out too wide and low to get underneath the throw for any chance at a PBU. 

    Cant have those types of mental mistakes in the regular season. Hell, that's such a staple play in the NFL anymore, DB's should be able to rotate right in their sleep on that. 

    - Schwartz won't be cut. I mentioned it here and there, but it's the Al Davis, "can't teach speed" mentality.   I hate it.   He'll be given every opportunity to fail. 

    - Don't really see Will Fuller as an option. Our vertical role is filled by Cooper, plus the PED's thing.  Coming off them, for anybody who knows, soft tissue and ligament injuries tend to be trendy after a cycle.   We'd likely be inviting an even higher injury risk to an already injury prone player.

    On defense, it was hard to take ANYTHING away from that game. They made Gardner Minshew look like Joe Montana with what they gave him.  I never thought he was a bad QB.  He just had the misfortune of being a Jax Jaguar when it was his time to start.  IMO, he's a very reliable backup.

    We watched a lot of guys that won't make the team on both sides so even though an Alex Wright performed better per say; the reason he was drafted in round 3 is to compete for rotation reps with the first unit. 

    On offense, it was nice to see Bell play and make some catches.  Schwartz was still Schwartz.  Dobbs was fun to watch again.  We had some guys trying some Center for us like Dunn, Hoffman, Froholdt and I think I saw Hance in there as well.  Hance is 6-6 and Dunn and Froholdt are both 6-5 so their big challenge in the trenches will be keeping lower pad height at the snap. I'm gonna be honest and say sometimes it got hard to focus on what guy was in at Center. I saw Dunn lock up a few times where his first 2 steps after collision were backward and then he'd get himself repositioned and drive his man downfield in each instance. That's not going to be as easy with the more stout DTs weighing in at 350 lbs or so.  At least we have candidates; but right now they're doing more thinking than playing with experience and polish. Callahan should be able help whoever emerges as the starter IMO. I'll try to pay attention to this position in particular vrs the Bears this week.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @flugel said:

    On defense, it was hard to take ANYTHING away from that game. p whoever emerges as the starter IMO. I'll try to pay attention to this position in particular vrs the Bears this week.

    The more I think about the defense, the less I'm upset about it.  Especially with the field conditions.   It would be sort of that unspoken understanding with those that are going to make this team, play your assignment but don't go 100%.  Those sorts of conditions are great for having an ACL tear on a fresh surface.  

    sounds stupid, but believe me it is in the back of their minds.

  • we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @calfoxwc said:

    we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @flugel said:

    YThe stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships;

      One of the most underrated receivers in the NFL for almost 10 seasons.  If not for missing 5 or 6 games, he would have started out having 7 straight 1,000 yard years.   I just never understood how he didn't get more recognition.

     That's more of "my" era, I was a kid when he was drafted so it was cool coming up and watching players like him.   Him and Lance Moore really opened my eyes to the role players > dominant individual #1's or #2's.   Breesy and Sean Payton really excelled in putting their individual skills sets in the best roles possible.  All you needed was the QB to make it go.

    Well played on the callback.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #74

    @flugel said:

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #75

    Loved FB when I was a kid.. Always wished him and George Blanda had been on the Browns... They would've fit perfect in Cleveland lore... The Raiders never lacked for character and Talent on their teams... They were kind of like the Browns but in a loud kind of way... Something Paul Brown would've never allowed. But no doubt Al Davis's fingerprints were all over that franchise

  • @flugel said:

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @calfoxwc said:

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @canton-dawg said:

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

    Brian Brennan as well...