Skip to content

Eagles at Browns preseason game 2 chatroom

The Browns Board
81 20 3.5k 1
  • we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    @calfoxwc said:

    we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    @flugel said:

    YThe stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships;

      One of the most underrated receivers in the NFL for almost 10 seasons.  If not for missing 5 or 6 games, he would have started out having 7 straight 1,000 yard years.   I just never understood how he didn't get more recognition.

     That's more of "my" era, I was a kid when he was drafted so it was cool coming up and watching players like him.   Him and Lance Moore really opened my eyes to the role players > dominant individual #1's or #2's.   Breesy and Sean Payton really excelled in putting their individual skills sets in the best roles possible.  All you needed was the QB to make it go.

    Well played on the callback.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    we watched a while in the second half. Late lunch, so......Dobbs really impressed me. Kelly and Ford also impressed.

    Josh Rosen was...himself. I did see him throw a really nice touch pass to somebody on the sideline. but....hs is who he is.

    Overall dismal. Just my opinion.

    The defense is going to be fun to watch all season, for a lot of folks....without key injuries - only question is the middle of the defensive line. Preseason. Whatever.

    Who is Harley Jr? I think he is a PLAYER - has to make the team. I think the kr was injured before, so.... Harley Jr is DANGEROUS.

    Schwartz, the guy I was so high on, needs to go full Jerry Rice, and catch about 50 or so passes after every practice.

    Just a a play or two - but Tiam seems to be right about David Bell hugely, in his good write up. He did drop one, but has there ever been a sure handed wr in the NFL who never dropped one? I don't think so. He has great hands, looks to me. He only runs a 4.6 but, as Flugels mentioned to me, Jerry Rice wasn't a burner either. Bell and Rice are similar in size, too.

       Bell may be a star for the Browns. He seems to have serious instincts for the game. Just produced like crazy in college.

    I think I drafted a kicker in the fourth round in my stupid mock draft - but he went to the ratbirds, and York is going to be a great one I think.

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    @flugel said:

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

  • Loved FB when I was a kid.. Always wished him and George Blanda had been on the Browns... They would've fit perfect in Cleveland lore... The Raiders never lacked for character and Talent on their teams... They were kind of like the Browns but in a loud kind of way... Something Paul Brown would've never allowed. But no doubt Al Davis's fingerprints were all over that franchise

  • @flugel said:

    You drafted a kicker in the 4th round?    God bless ya!  

    Just some clarifications.  About Jerry Rice and many of those pre-draft stop watches, how often did anyone catch the HOF WR from behind?  For that matter, how often was he easy to cover?  The NFL isn't played in straight lines so if a guy has the right blend of hip flexors/extensors working in tandem with his fast twitch muscle fibers - Jerry Rice is the ideal example of it.  If memory serves me right, he was rumored to run in the 4.7s with Rice contesting those with "I never got clocked higher than 4.5s."  A lot of rumors stir up near the draft and many of those are probably originated from teams hoping a guy like him falls to them.  

    Steve Largent was drafted by the Oilers and eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks before he earned a comfortable NFL niche for his skillset. Seattle looked past the stopwatch to make that possible; largely because Largent gave them the reasons to do so. The stop watch prevented guys like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston from DI scholarships; so they went to a D3 football program at Hofstra (which no longer exists today).  Both guys were damn good NFL WRs.

    Bringing this to our team.  Another guy that didn't let the stop watch define his NFL career ahead was Jarvis Landry.  I'll take him over an OBJ every time.  Brian Brennan led our 86 team with 55 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TDs despite doing most of that on 3rd downs.  Him and RB Herman Fontenot were so freakin clutch for our passing game on 3rd down,  Fontenot was 2nd on the team with 47 receptions and 559 yards.

    The WRs that give us good memories aren't guys that can only run a straight line very fast.  They are the ones that can run all the routes, know when to sit down in space on a route (vrs running themselves into a coverage), make any pre-determined route adjustments to the defensive alignment/leverage. Above all, when the ball comes to them - they catch it whether they are open or not.   Eyes are just as important as wheels in this game...

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

    @calfoxwc said:

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I sure did. lol.

    and there is Biletnikoff. "Not So Fast Freddy".

    I hated it. (lol) because nobody could cover him. It was crazy. He wasn't fast. He was only 6'1", 190 lbs. I "hated" him because he was unstoppable.

    Scouts were not keen on his ability to be good in the pros.

    He said himself, he only ran a 4.7. I would root for a team in the playoffs, only to have Biletnikoff keep getting open, and catching every single pass. That goes way back to the old days - the Raiders.

    I found an interesting article about him:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2010/02/news-not-so-fast-freddy/

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

    Brian Brennan as well...

  • Loved FB when I was a kid.. Always wished him and George Blanda had been on the Browns... They would've fit perfect in Cleveland lore... The Raiders never lacked for character and Talent on their teams... They were kind of like the Browns but in a loud kind of way... Something Paul Brown would've never allowed. But no doubt Al Davis's fingerprints were all over that franchise

    @nickers said:

    Loved FB when I was a kid.. Always wished him and George Blanda had been on the Browns... They would've fit perfect in Cleveland lore... The Raiders never lacked for character and Talent on their teams... They were kind of like the Browns but in a loud kind of way... Something Paul Brown would've never allowed. But no doubt Al Davis's fingerprints were all over that franchise

    @canton-dawg said:

    I was always a fan of FB (aka Mr Stickum).

    For some unknown reason Steve Largent always reminded me of Fred.

    @nickers said:

    Brian Brennan as well...

    YEP ! to all three. (I ran out of upvotes again.)

    Steve Largent seems to have set the standard of what we are talking about. Here's a cool article about him:

    https://www.thegamebeforethemoney.com/stevelargent/

    This Might Surprise You: Steve Largent

  • Probably going to start doing this more, but as a heads up, we'll be spending some time in the film room today (starting now, actually) going over the Browns vs Eagles.  If anybody wants to join in, you are more than welcomed to.  Just find TBB discord link.  

  • Probably going to start doing this more, but as a heads up, we'll be spending some time in the film room today (starting now, actually) going over the Browns vs Eagles.  If anybody wants to join in, you are more than welcomed to.  Just find TBB discord link.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Probably going to start doing this more, but as a heads up, we'll be spending some time in the film room today (starting now, actually) going over the Browns vs Eagles.  If anybody wants to join in, you are more than welcomed to.  Just find TBB discord link.  

    I'll have a hard time joining in today, but I look forward to some more live game analysis. It is good to practise my English and put voices to nicknames too 😉

  • Sam Darnold was carted off during last nite's game.. Panthers down to Baker and the XFL's PJ Walker for at least week 1 at QB, maybe longer.