Skip to content

HOF QB Len Dawson dead at age 87

The Browns Board
14 7 717 1
  • RIP Len.. His breakdowns on INFL were good... Wish more players had that kind of class..

  • I remember as a kid and young teenager his high school exploits and playing against Niles McKinley high school , who were also state champions 1961 and 1963,  around/after the Lenny Dawson era with the Alliance Avaitors later an All American Conference member. 

    Great Conference and Ohio football back then, we were #2 in 1966 (#5 in the USA ! )..should have been #1 see my high school football posts.  

    Some great USA caliber football back then.  and a great quarterback at Purdue also.  That gets overshadowed by his great KC Cheif playing career, he was synonymous with the Chiefs as Coach Hank Stram would always point out.

    ★ And yes Lenny or Len Dawson was a first class player and person may he RIP..   A class act all the way. ★  

  • RIP Len Dawson

    and as a nod to the gipper - who wouldve pointed out  that Lenny Dawson was once a Cleveland Browns QB 

    albeit a backup to Frank Ryan who himself had quite a great career here.

    And to think, if he had chosen to stay on instead of going to the then AFL Texans, (like Sipe waiting out Phipps run)

    having the Len Dawson (superbowl winning QB) instead of trading for  Bill Nelsen - well who knows? 

    Len Dawson.jpg

  • ^^^^^      From M*A*S*H ?        😆  

    Only  instead of a cigarette and a Fresca that Lenny had it was a joint.   Great movie.   Remember Fresca ?  

  • The Steelers would have been relevant NFL team early than when they moved into Three Rivers if they would have just kept Unitas and/or Dawson in the 50s/60s. 

  • ^^^^^      From M*A*S*H ?        😆  

    Only  instead of a cigarette and a Fresca that Lenny had it was a joint.   Great movie.   Remember Fresca ?  

    @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^^      From M*A*S*H ?        😆  

    Only  instead of a cigarette and a Fresca that Lenny had it was a joint.   Great movie.   Remember Fresca ?  

    Still available on the West Coast. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^^      From M*A*S*H ?        😆  

    Only  instead of a cigarette and a Fresca that Lenny had it was a joint.   Great movie.   Remember Fresca ?  

    Still available on the West Coast. 

    @alporcini said:

    Still available on the West Coast. 

    I vaguely know of it, is Fresca like the original Sprite or 7Up?

  • @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^^      From M*A*S*H ?        😆  

    Only  instead of a cigarette and a Fresca that Lenny had it was a joint.   Great movie.   Remember Fresca ?  

    Still available on the West Coast. 

    @alporcini said:

    Still available on the West Coast. 

    It's available here in NE Ohio as well... I've seen it on the shelves in certain stores

  • @alporcini said:

    Still available on the West Coast. 

    I vaguely know of it, is Fresca like the original Sprite or 7Up?

    @dutch-oven said:

    I vaguely know of it, is Fresca like the original Sprite or 7Up?

    It was created in the ‘60’s by Coke.

    You can get it at Target, Walmart, and Amazon.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I vaguely know of it, is Fresca like the original Sprite or 7Up?

    It was created in the ‘60’s by Coke.

    You can get it at Target, Walmart, and Amazon.

    @canton-dawg said:

    It was created in the ‘60’s by Coke.

    You can get it at Target, Walmart, and Amazon.

    What does it taste like? 

    I honestly do not know if I've ever seen someone drink it. 

  • @alporcini said:

    Still available on the West Coast. 

    I vaguely know of it, is Fresca like the original Sprite or 7Up?

    @dutch-oven said:

    I vaguely know of it, is Fresca like the original Sprite or 7Up?

    Fresca was one of the first artificially sweetened citrus pops. Leans a little bit toward grapefruit. It's actually not bad today but originally when it was saccharine or sodium cyclamate it tasted like holy hell as did everything with those artificial sweeteners.

    WSS

  • @canton-dawg said:

    It was created in the ‘60’s by Coke.

    You can get it at Target, Walmart, and Amazon.

    What does it taste like? 

    I honestly do not know if I've ever seen someone drink it. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    What does it taste like? 

    I honestly do not know if I've ever seen someone drink it. 

    WSS described it pretty accurately.

    My suggestion if you ever want to taste it, dilute it with vodka or rum.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    What does it taste like? 

    I honestly do not know if I've ever seen someone drink it. 

    WSS described it pretty accurately.

    My suggestion if you ever want to taste it, dilute it with vodka or rum.

    @canton-dawg said:

    WSS described it pretty accurately.

    My suggestion if you ever want to taste it, dilute it with vodka or rum.

    I remember Fresca and TAB being huge with the female demographic of consumers... TAB was like the first diet soft drink That I believe was also a Coke product.. it came out in 1963. I even remember the Fresca commercial with the hot European woman pushing the product. Fresca also means "Fresh" in Italian...