Skip to content

Hope Our Fans in Florida Stay Safe During the Hurricane

The Browns Board
37 14 1.8k 1
  • @mjp28 said:

    I have relatives in the Tampa area, a lot of friends in the Ft Myers area.  We hope  they and everyone else here is as safe and secure as possible. 

    And good luck,  we'll be checking in on you....and our thoughts and prayers going down that way too.  

    Thanks-all good on the Southeast Coast. Had an absolutely brutal band with tornado warnings but fortunately no impacts close by. Send the positive vibes to our western FL friends and family for sure. Not to sound overly dramatic but this could be a life changing storm for certain parts of the state. Disney closed for two days-only the 10th and 11th time they've ever done that.

    @axe said:

    Insurance companies have been bailing out of Florida at breakneck speed. We were cancelled in Dec after 20+ yrs. Exhausted all replacement options.

    And it's not stopping. People forget on top of these hurricanes that one high rise collapse really spooked insurance companies. I don't see any other solution that a state sponsored and backed insurance program for all Floridians (Citizens). Problem is, that will be definition of bare bones and buying additional coverage will be unaffordable for millions. Yet we're building new homes by the second...sigh. 

    Stay safe ya'll.

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #20

    @jrb12711 said:

     I don't see any other solution that a state sponsored and backed insurance program for all Floridians (Citizens).

    Citizens is the last gasp for coverage and they cancelled us as well after 2 weeks.

    We're supposed to fly to Athens Saturday for 11 days. Can't see that happening now

  • AxeA Axe

    Longboat and Anna Maria have been evacuated. We're staying a few miles inland. Boarded up as well as possible and hoping for the best.

    A pic I took out on Longboat a lil while back

    No photo description available.

    For those watching from home.

    https://www.ventusky.com/

    Insurance companies have been bailing out of Florida at breakneck speed. We were cancelled in Dec after 20+ yrs. Exhausted all replacement options.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @axe said:

    Longboat and Anna Maria have been evacuated. We're staying a few miles inland. Boarded up as well as possible and hoping for the best.

    A pic I took out on Longboat a lil while back

    No photo description available.

    For those watching from home.

    https://www.ventusky.com/

    Insurance companies have been bailing out of Florida at breakneck speed. We were cancelled in Dec after 20+ yrs. Exhausted all replacement options.

    That's one neat app, thanks. I'm not surprised insurance companies are bailing out of any areas with significant hurricane threats. The major ones could be looking at billion dollar losses. Smaller companies would be wiped out. That ocean\ Gulf view is getting mighty pricey.

    As tia suggested, go north old man, go north. Reason some "halfbacks" are flocking to North Carolina or Tennessee.  

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Actually, we're going to Tenn in Nov to look for a summer place. I don't want to be here next summer. Too damn hot.

  • AxeA Axe

    Actually, we're going to Tenn in Nov to look for a summer place. I don't want to be here next summer. Too damn hot.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @axe said:

    Actually, we're going to Tenn in Nov to look for a summer place. I don't want to be here next summer. Too damn hot.

    I've never done summer in Florida Axe, but the wife has. Said you can jump in a swimming pool and not cool off.  

    I was there in October for her cousin's wedding, and it felt like a miserable July day in Ohio. 

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #24

    I hope Z is on high ground... Weather Channel just had shots of Naples with cars past their windows in water.  

    PS waiting for one of those Weather Channel reporters to either get killed, or washed out to sea...  

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #25
    Colin McCarthy@US_Stormwatch
    The storm surge is so powerful from #HurricaneIan that it has brought a shark into the city streets of Fort Myers.

    🎥@BradHabuda
  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Got word from Zombo on Face Book...  Him and Jack are fine... No power though.  

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #27

    Gentlemen, THAT was one long intense day! Tree debris and water everywhere this morning but we still have power and aside from some apparent roof damage (Haven't seen it yet) we were extremely lucky. Still have power. I've been thru countless storms but this one was different..

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #28

    ian being like that lexus commercial to georgia Do you want some more

    glad all were safe

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #29

    Zombo said:

    I'm alive and well. No damage to my house, I have power. Seeing what I can do to help others.

    Z

    Glad you're OK Z...  But before the storm hit, I opined anyone who stayed on Sanibel Island was nuts.  Well, seems like Florida law says you can't be forced to evacuate, and a bunch of folks decided to stay. I swear, it's like the old joke of the guy who drowned waiting for God to provide when rescue operations were sending him boats and a helicopter. Except this time it wasn't a joke, it was real life... Those folks were warned multiple times to get the hell off of the Island, and ignored the warnings. Some are going to live to tell about their ordeal, but it's hard to feel sorry for them being that stupid. 

    It's even being questioned if it's wise to rebuild on a barrier island.  Forget about storm insurance if you do...  Yeah, I noticed.. Fort Myers Beach looks like a Ukrainian war zone.  🙁 

  • Zombo said:

    I'm alive and well. No damage to my house, I have power. Seeing what I can do to help others.

    Z

    Glad you're OK Z...  But before the storm hit, I opined anyone who stayed on Sanibel Island was nuts.  Well, seems like Florida law says you can't be forced to evacuate, and a bunch of folks decided to stay. I swear, it's like the old joke of the guy who drowned waiting for God to provide when rescue operations were sending him boats and a helicopter. Except this time it wasn't a joke, it was real life... Those folks were warned multiple times to get the hell off of the Island, and ignored the warnings. Some are going to live to tell about their ordeal, but it's hard to feel sorry for them being that stupid. 

    It's even being questioned if it's wise to rebuild on a barrier island.  Forget about storm insurance if you do...  Yeah, I noticed.. Fort Myers Beach looks like a Ukrainian war zone.  🙁 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @hoorta said:

    Glad you're OK Z...  But before the storm hit, I opined anyone who stayed on Sanibel Island was nuts.  Well, seems like Florida law says you can't be forced to evacuate, and a bunch of folks decided to stay. I swear, it's like the old joke of the guy who drowned waiting for God to provide when rescue operations were sending him boats and a helicopter. Except this time it wasn't a joke, it was real life... Those folks were warned multiple times to get the hell off of the Island, and ignored the warnings. Some are going to live to tell about their ordeal, but it's hard to feel sorry for them being that stupid. 

    It's even being questioned if it's wise to rebuild on a barrier island.  Forget about storm insurance if you do...  Yeah, I noticed.. Fort Myers Beach looks like a Ukrainian war zone.  🙁 

    The big difference one was because of a nasty, greedy person  the other an act of nature.....worsened by global warming. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Glad you're OK Z...  But before the storm hit, I opined anyone who stayed on Sanibel Island was nuts.  Well, seems like Florida law says you can't be forced to evacuate, and a bunch of folks decided to stay. I swear, it's like the old joke of the guy who drowned waiting for God to provide when rescue operations were sending him boats and a helicopter. Except this time it wasn't a joke, it was real life... Those folks were warned multiple times to get the hell off of the Island, and ignored the warnings. Some are going to live to tell about their ordeal, but it's hard to feel sorry for them being that stupid. 

    It's even being questioned if it's wise to rebuild on a barrier island.  Forget about storm insurance if you do...  Yeah, I noticed.. Fort Myers Beach looks like a Ukrainian war zone.  🙁 

    The big difference one was because of a nasty, greedy person  the other an act of nature.....worsened by global warming. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @mjp28 said:

    The big difference one was because of a nasty, greedy person  the other an act of nature.....worsened by global warming. 

    I'll wax political for 1\2 a second here.  Say whut? Global warming is a hoax...  😁  Sorry for you folks in Florida.... As the oceans warm (90 degrees in the Gulf) , that's just giving more "juice" to hurricanes like Ian.   

  • @mjp28 said:

    The big difference one was because of a nasty, greedy person  the other an act of nature.....worsened by global warming. 

    I'll wax political for 1\2 a second here.  Say whut? Global warming is a hoax...  😁  Sorry for you folks in Florida.... As the oceans warm (90 degrees in the Gulf) , that's just giving more "juice" to hurricanes like Ian.   

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @hoorta said:

    I'll wax political for 1\2 a second here.  Say whut? Global warming is a hoax...  😁  Sorry for you folks in Florida.... As the oceans warm (90 degrees in the Gulf) , that's just giving more "juice" to hurricanes like Ian.   

    Oh yes....those once in a lifetime or 100 year events now popping up a whole lot more.

    I have relatives in Florida who have been there 40+ years now wondering all about that.  Many friends who have sold out up north and went south in the last 30 years too wondering the same thing.   Got pictures from one today from the Ft Myers area on their pool cover...I'll put it up.  Never worried about it 10 years ago.   Now, hmmm, they admit how lucky they were that was all it was....this time.  (I think it's in my wife's FB stuff, I'll get it later.)

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    I'm safe! Although I'm in Tallahassee so we weren't in any real danger. 

    Definitely ready for some football! 

  • I'm safe! Although I'm in Tallahassee so we weren't in any real danger. 

    Definitely ready for some football! 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm safe! Although I'm in Tallahassee so we weren't in any real danger. 

    Definitely ready for some football! 

    Thatta boy!  We need ya!

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I have family down that way... I hope they are ok...

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Finally got some Good news this morning on our in-laws getting out of their golf course condo in Kissimmee,Fla..?

    Families been a nervous wreak all week///Whew! god is g?d ! 

  • Finally got some Good news this morning on our in-laws getting out of their golf course condo in Kissimmee,Fla..?

    Families been a nervous wreak all week///Whew! god is g?d ! 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @gumby73 said:

    Finally got some Good news this morning on our in-laws getting out of their golf course condo in Kissimmee,Fla..?

    Families been a nervous wreak all week///Whew! god is g?d ! 

    Good to hear that Gumbs!