Skip to content

★ official gameday thread for ★ The BROWNS vs the falcunts ★

The Browns Board
268 25 9.7k 1
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    I'm still watching the All-22 and charting snaps.  I always end up writing down side questions, this has been my biggest one so far this season.

    - Is it just me, or are defenses playing more 2 high even on early downs?  I could swear most of these coordinators are working with a ton more cover 4.    Found this when I went looking for statistical answers.

    Rates of Cover-1 man have dropped to 19.8% [in 2022] from a four-year average of 26.5%. Schemes with multiple deep safeties have jumped, including Cover-2 zone (up to 13.8% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.2%) and Quarters (up to 14.7% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.4%).

    Well then, that's certainly something. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    was expecting Denver to make a offer on D'Ernest Johnson this week..

    They put Ford on IR today so D'E is on double deck.  (D'E made a nice ST tackle against Atl)

    @flugel said:

    We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

    Well, if we would've won these two stupid games that we lost there would've been an attraction.    Now, we're a deep fall-back.  

    I like Stefanski.  I've liked him right from the start.  But I haven't liked the analytical approach to 4th down.  It's too aggressive.  4th and too long.  4th and our side of the field.  4th and pass up the FG.   I mean, sure, when you're behind on the scoreboard and the clock is about to get important, then you can turn up the aggression somewhat on 4th downs.  But there's a time and a place.  Coming off the field with your heads down and no points because you put together a long, sustained drive that stalled inside the 5 yard line and didn't take the 3 points, that hurts.  And it hurts worse than if you kicked the FG and missed...because then you can blame the kicker and not the offense (so much).

    My philosophy:  Early in the game, take the points that are there for you.  Don't force things until you're forced to.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    They put Ford on IR today so D'E is on double deck.  (D'E made a nice ST tackle against Atl)

    Well, if we would've won these two stupid games that we lost there would've been an attraction.    Now, we're a deep fall-back.  

    I like Stefanski.  I've liked him right from the start.  But I haven't liked the analytical approach to 4th down.  It's too aggressive.  4th and too long.  4th and our side of the field.  4th and pass up the FG.   I mean, sure, when you're behind on the scoreboard and the clock is about to get important, then you can turn up the aggression somewhat on 4th downs.  But there's a time and a place.  Coming off the field with your heads down and no points because you put together a long, sustained drive that stalled inside the 5 yard line and didn't take the 3 points, that hurts.  And it hurts worse than if you kicked the FG and missed...because then you can blame the kicker and not the offense (so much).

    My philosophy:  Early in the game(s), take the points that are there for you.  Don't force things until you're forced to.  

    Well said Orion!  Yes, take those points especially on the road against a team that matched up extremely well with our weaknesses on defense extremely well.  IMO, when our offense gets closer to the goal line why not QB sneak a guy that's great at it instead of the extra tenths of a second it takes to hand off to a RB sentenced to running into a crowded phone booth.  Asking a backup QB to throw the ball into a crowded end zone when you're inside 2 or 3 yard line.  Sounds like we're talking about situational football here that needs to be practiced a little bit more during the week of prep.

    STs needs situational football at practice too.  It could even be something as silly as getting 11 people that are supposed to be on a specified unit.  

    Defense definitely needs situational football practice beginning with pre-snap reads in tandem with down and distances (and the opponent's tendencies).  The 2 highest paid guys on our Dline are injured and won't be anywhere close to 100% if they play this week. 

    You have your reasons for liking Stefanski and I'm sure you can defend them.  The thing I really wish he'd do is empower his OC to do all the duties of an OC.  Again, we won a playoff game scoring 48 points when Van Pelt was the OC that called the plays.  Adversity is here and getting Stefanski to oversee all 3 phases instead of mostly focusing on his play-calling duties would change a lot of minds for the better about him IMO.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I was listening to Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller not too long they mentioned Suh’s average snap count was actually pretty high just last year (I want to say in the 40s). 

    He’s good for a couple splash plays, a personal foul but at least he might keep a backer clean more often than not.

    But he ain’t coming here but it wouldn’t surprise me if our FO and Coaches said no anyway. 
     

    I mentioned him before Eddie Goldman…but he apparently retired. Does he want to come back?  And I’ll admit and moving away from our line and to our backers.  I thought Anthony Walker was pretty overrated…I think we miss him a lot I don’t think Philips is the guy at least not full time. 
     

     Don't forget, the large part of that increase was due to the Bucks losing Vita Vea in week 10.     While Anthony Walker isn't great, he isn't so disgustingly out of position like Phillips is.   He actually has a bit of discipline and awareness in coverage.  The real problem is he's a bit undersized and lacks any real pop on ball carriers.

     Phillips is a special teamer and backup.  Taki is almost a traditional SAM, and he gets pulled off the field quite a bit when we're in nickel and dime.  Might help to explain why his level of play looks good so far this year.    Either way, looking left to right, most of our defensive front 7 are highly flawed as individual players.  And none of those flaws allow that group to be better than the sum of their parts.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     Don't forget, the large part of that increase was due to the Bucks losing Vita Vea in week 10.     While Anthony Walker isn't great, he isn't so disgustingly out of position like Phillips is.   He actually has a bit of discipline and awareness in coverage.  The real problem is he's a bit undersized and lacks any real pop on ball carriers.

     Phillips is a special teamer and backup.  Taki is almost a traditional SAM, and he gets pulled off the field quite a bit when we're in nickel and dime.  Might help to explain why his level of play looks good so far this year.    Either way, looking left to right, most of our defensive front 7 are highly flawed as individual players.  And none of those flaws allow that group to be better than the sum of their parts.

    Not really he played a high snap count throughout the year.  
     

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SuhxNd99/gamelog/2021/

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    Great play JB!!  Dude is a man. 

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    Huge 3rd here

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    Well, that wasn't what JB wanted. 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    Sickening

    you do realize you are posting in last weeks game day thread 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    I was in the sun, thanks for watching my back

    so you think about what 5-6 plays cost us are 3 loss's