Skip to content

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

The Browns Board
481 19 32.3k 1
  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Completely hooked on online mocks right now...

    Keep ending up drafting Zach Harrison from the Buckeyes with pick 98. I'm sure many on the Board have seen more from him than me. Any good?

    Zach Harrison was a former 5 star recruit who IMO never really came close to realizing his potential. 

    That being said, I'd be pretty surprised if he was still around that late. 

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Zach Harrison was a former 5 star recruit who IMO never really came close to realizing his potential. 

    That being said, I'd be pretty surprised if he was still around that late. 

    Depends on which big board is used as a premise I suppose.

    Draftek indeed has him #46. nflmockdraftdatabase.com has him #75, but he is often still available at #98. PFN and PFF have him #116 and #123 respectively, so would even be reaching a little.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Zach Harrison was a former 5 star recruit who IMO never really came close to realizing his potential. 

    That being said, I'd be pretty surprised if he was still around that late. 

    Depends on which big board is used as a premise I suppose.

    Draftek indeed has him #46. nflmockdraftdatabase.com has him #75, but he is often still available at #98. PFN and PFF have him #116 and #123 respectively, so would even be reaching a little.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Depends on which big board is used as a premise I suppose.

    Draftek indeed has him #46. nflmockdraftdatabase.com has him #75, but he is often still available at #98. PFN and PFF have him #116 and #123 respectively, so would even be reaching a little.  

    I really try to not be the "THERE'S NO WAY SO-AND-SO WILL BE TAKEN THAT EARLY/LATE" guy, but I still think Harrison almost making it to the 4th round seems unlikely(?) He just seems like the guy someone looks at in the second round and says "Man, look at this kid's measureables!"

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Depends on which big board is used as a premise I suppose.

    Draftek indeed has him #46. nflmockdraftdatabase.com has him #75, but he is often still available at #98. PFN and PFF have him #116 and #123 respectively, so would even be reaching a little.  

    I really try to not be the "THERE'S NO WAY SO-AND-SO WILL BE TAKEN THAT EARLY/LATE" guy, but I still think Harrison almost making it to the 4th round seems unlikely(?) He just seems like the guy someone looks at in the second round and says "Man, look at this kid's measureables!"

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by Korsou Dawg

    @dutch-oven said:

    I really try to not be the "THERE'S NO WAY SO-AND-SO WILL BE TAKEN THAT EARLY/LATE" guy, but I still think Harrison almost making it to the 4th round seems unlikely(?) He just seems like the guy someone looks at in the second round and says "Man, look at this kid's measureables!"

    As a more general observation: DE/ Edge is generally rated as a very deep position group this year, along with WR. In the mocks I have done so far, you see guys from those positions falling down the board, as teams reach for IDL and O-line. 

    For the same reason, I am a strong proponent of using our highest pick on a DT. Even trading up for one. My favorite play is combining our picks #74 and #111 to go up to about 60 at the end of the 2nd. That seems to bring us back into Siaki Ika territory. Also guys like Board favorite Jack Campbell btw, but I very much doubt we are using a high pick on a LB. Regardless, a suitable Edge defender to add to the rotation is still likely to be available at 108.   

  • Completely hooked on online mocks right now...

    Keep ending up drafting Zach Harrison from the Buckeyes with pick 98. I'm sure many on the Board have seen more from him than me. Any good?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Completely hooked on online mocks right now...

    Keep ending up drafting Zach Harrison from the Buckeyes with pick 98. I'm sure many on the Board have seen more from him than me. Any good?

    Thatta boy!    That sounds like the all you eat buffet for the insatiable appetite.

    Where is Darnell Washington going in all these drafts KD?   

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Depends on which big board is used as a premise I suppose.

    Draftek indeed has him #46. nflmockdraftdatabase.com has him #75, but he is often still available at #98. PFN and PFF have him #116 and #123 respectively, so would even be reaching a little.  

    I really try to not be the "THERE'S NO WAY SO-AND-SO WILL BE TAKEN THAT EARLY/LATE" guy, but I still think Harrison almost making it to the 4th round seems unlikely(?) He just seems like the guy someone looks at in the second round and says "Man, look at this kid's measureables!"

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    I really try to not be the "THERE'S NO WAY SO-AND-SO WILL BE TAKEN THAT EARLY/LATE" guy, but I still think Harrison almost making it to the 4th round seems unlikely(?) He just seems like the guy someone looks at in the second round and says "Man, look at this kid's measureables!"

    Yeah, this gets tricky sometimes because teams aren't supposed to be drafting what's in the rear view mirror (the college career per say).  With a QB like Josh Allen, I kept putting all his measurables in the back seat to the question why wasn't he able exceed the level of competition Wyoming played?  And now Iowa has a kid that didn't even start (Lukas Van Ness), that his raised his draft projection up into round 1 after the workouts. I gotta admit I get very chicken-shit endorsing projects like this.  I don't want to ruin my draft cred after endorsing gems like Johnny Forgot Football Manziel and Baker Mayfield.   I put a lot of energy in last minute research.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Zach Harrison almost reminds me of another Buckeye - Simon Frasure. 

     Both tall with great wingspan, set and hold the edge very well but have also kicked inside in certain calls.    But, like Frasure, lacks elite burst and hip lower body fluidity.   So turning the corner like Myles isn't really in the cards. 

     I guess I could see 3rd round.  But I'd be more apt to see his name called 4th-5th. 

  • Zach Harrison almost reminds me of another Buckeye - Simon Frasure. 

     Both tall with great wingspan, set and hold the edge very well but have also kicked inside in certain calls.    But, like Frasure, lacks elite burst and hip lower body fluidity.   So turning the corner like Myles isn't really in the cards. 

     I guess I could see 3rd round.  But I'd be more apt to see his name called 4th-5th. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Zach Harrison almost reminds me of another Buckeye - Simon Frasure. 

     Both tall with great wingspan, set and hold the edge very well but have also kicked inside in certain calls.    But, like Frasure, lacks elite burst and hip lower body fluidity.   So turning the corner like Myles isn't really in the cards. 

     I guess I could see 3rd round.  But I'd be more apt to see his name called 4th-5th. 

    Well this is getting interesting.

    I really thought he'd get called in the first 75 picks (mid 3rd) based on his measureables alone, but it seems like I'm in the minority on here. I'll definitely be paying attention to where he goes now, just out of pure curiousity. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Zach Harrison almost reminds me of another Buckeye - Simon Frasure. 

     Both tall with great wingspan, set and hold the edge very well but have also kicked inside in certain calls.    But, like Frasure, lacks elite burst and hip lower body fluidity.   So turning the corner like Myles isn't really in the cards. 

     I guess I could see 3rd round.  But I'd be more apt to see his name called 4th-5th. 

    Well this is getting interesting.

    I really thought he'd get called in the first 75 picks (mid 3rd) based on his measureables alone, but it seems like I'm in the minority on here. I'll definitely be paying attention to where he goes now, just out of pure curiousity. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well this is getting interesting.

    I really thought he'd get called in the first 75 picks (mid 3rd) based on his measureables alone, but it seems like I'm in the minority on here. I'll definitely be paying attention to where he goes now, just out of pure curiousity. 

     There's upside I can see where the 3rd wouldn't be of any surprise, but the 4th (early) just feels.... right?  Then again, who knows with how position runs go in the draft.  

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Completely hooked on online mocks right now...

    Keep ending up drafting Zach Harrison from the Buckeyes with pick 98. I'm sure many on the Board have seen more from him than me. Any good?

    Thatta boy!    That sounds like the all you eat buffet for the insatiable appetite.

    Where is Darnell Washington going in all these drafts KD?   

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by Korsou Dawg

    @flugel said:

    Thatta boy!    That sounds like the all you eat buffet for the insatiable appetite.

    Where is Darnell Washington going in all these drafts KD?   

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

  • @flugel said:

    Thatta boy!    That sounds like the all you eat buffet for the insatiable appetite.

    Where is Darnell Washington going in all these drafts KD?   

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

    One of the guys that posted in this thread reminded me that WalterFootball is a good site to look at about prospects. If memory serves me right, it shows where they rank and when/where they're projected to be drafted..

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

    One of the guys that posted in this thread reminded me that WalterFootball is a good site to look at about prospects. If memory serves me right, it shows where they rank and when/where they're projected to be drafted..

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    One of the guys that posted in this thread reminded me that WalterFootball is a good site to look at about prospects. If memory serves me right, it shows where they rank and when/where they're projected to be drafted..

    I've always been partial to drafttek & walter in combination for the draft.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    To me, after maybe the first 10 picks of the 1st round, it is all based on uncertainty.  In every draft you have 1-2 guys selected way earlier than projected, and a few who go way later.

    Once that happens, it jumbles everything down the line.  Some GMs panic and that is where runs start,  Others figure at that point it is all balled up and just start taking players who are the best available, even when they don't seem to make a lot of sense.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       
    • CLE
      98.
      Tyler Steen
      OT Alabama
       
    • CLE
      111.
      Jonathan Mingo
      WR Ole Miss
       
    • CLE
      126.
      Zach Harrison
      EDGE Ohio State
       
    • CLE
      140.
      Parker Washington
      WR Penn State
       
    • CLE
      142.
      Luke Schoonmaker
      TE Michigan
       
    • CLE
      190.
      Jalen Redmond
      DT Oklahoma
       
    • CLE
      229.
      Anthony Bradford
      OG LSU
       
     
  • Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       
    • CLE
      98.
      Tyler Steen
      OT Alabama
       
    • CLE
      111.
      Jonathan Mingo
      WR Ole Miss
       
    • CLE
      126.
      Zach Harrison
      EDGE Ohio State
       
    • CLE
      140.
      Parker Washington
      WR Penn State
       
    • CLE
      142.
      Luke Schoonmaker
      TE Michigan
       
    • CLE
      190.
      Jalen Redmond
      DT Oklahoma
       
    • CLE
      229.
      Anthony Bradford
      OG LSU
       
     
    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       

    Bless Ur little pea pickin' heart. Speed kills.?

  • To me, after maybe the first 10 picks of the 1st round, it is all based on uncertainty.  In every draft you have 1-2 guys selected way earlier than projected, and a few who go way later.

    Once that happens, it jumbles everything down the line.  Some GMs panic and that is where runs start,  Others figure at that point it is all balled up and just start taking players who are the best available, even when they don't seem to make a lot of sense.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    To me, after maybe the first 10 picks of the 1st round, it is all based on uncertainty.  In every draft you have 1-2 guys selected way earlier than projected, and a few who go way later.

    Once that happens, it jumbles everything down the line.  Some GMs panic and that is where runs start,  Others figure at that point it is all balled up and just start taking players who are the best available, even when they don't seem to make a lot of sense.

    Can't say it any better than that!   I have fun familiarizing myself with the draft class so I have some sense of who were getting and who our rivals are getting.  Even with that, you never know what guys are going to pleasantly surprise or disappoint.

    Once the season gets going - it's also fun to see what guys guys come out of nowhere from the 6th or 7th round through the undrafted free agents.   That QB Brock Purdy for SF was Mr Irrelevant (the last pick of the draft) last year; and he closed the regular season undefeated with the handful of starts he had.  He looked impressive all the way until he got hurt against Philly in the post season.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       

    Bless Ur little pea pickin' heart. Speed kills.?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Bless Ur little pea pickin' heart. Speed kills.?

    ?You love you some Aggies.  As soon as I saw that first selection he made I knew you'd be lovin that!

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

  • Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    Might be worth reviewing the whole video, but here is his favorite play.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    Might be worth reviewing the whole video, but here is his favorite play.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @texasag1969 said:

    Might be worth reviewing the whole video, but here is his favorite play.

     Don't have too, is it the outside zone or the offset counter?  Both he broke off for long runs against Arky and primarily all he ran.

     Being a one cut runner in an OZ such as ours, or another example like San Fran, is fantastic.   Again his running doesn't concern me as much as his durability and the other shortcomings I mentioned.

  • Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen

    @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    The good thing is we don't need Achane to step in unless injury strikes.  We will need him to step in next year or the year after once Chubb is more or less done here in Cleveland.

    I don't think he is a 3rd down back.  He will be a lead back.  I think we best have a little more back there than Ford.