Skip to content

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

The Browns Board
481 19 32.3k 1
  • @flugel said:

    Thatta boy!    That sounds like the all you eat buffet for the insatiable appetite.

    Where is Darnell Washington going in all these drafts KD?   

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

    One of the guys that posted in this thread reminded me that WalterFootball is a good site to look at about prospects. If memory serves me right, it shows where they rank and when/where they're projected to be drafted..

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Online mocks are a bit of a mixed bag to begin with. 

    I've seen our boy Darnell go late twenties, to drafting him myself with my trade up to #60 play. He recently jumped 10 places on Drafttek's big board to #41, and he is already rated the #33 prospect on the aggregate big board of nflmockdraftdatabase.com. That said, he is only rated #104 and 8th TE on the33rdteam.com.

    Ready to move on if the consensus plays out, but for a dramatic slide down the board. We would have to give up too much to get near 30 to 40. IDL around 60 is the play IMO. If he were available at 108 absolute no-brainer!

    One of the guys that posted in this thread reminded me that WalterFootball is a good site to look at about prospects. If memory serves me right, it shows where they rank and when/where they're projected to be drafted..

    @flugel said:

    One of the guys that posted in this thread reminded me that WalterFootball is a good site to look at about prospects. If memory serves me right, it shows where they rank and when/where they're projected to be drafted..

    I've always been partial to drafttek & walter in combination for the draft.

  • To me, after maybe the first 10 picks of the 1st round, it is all based on uncertainty.  In every draft you have 1-2 guys selected way earlier than projected, and a few who go way later.

    Once that happens, it jumbles everything down the line.  Some GMs panic and that is where runs start,  Others figure at that point it is all balled up and just start taking players who are the best available, even when they don't seem to make a lot of sense.

  • Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       
    • CLE
      98.
      Tyler Steen
      OT Alabama
       
    • CLE
      111.
      Jonathan Mingo
      WR Ole Miss
       
    • CLE
      126.
      Zach Harrison
      EDGE Ohio State
       
    • CLE
      140.
      Parker Washington
      WR Penn State
       
    • CLE
      142.
      Luke Schoonmaker
      TE Michigan
       
    • CLE
      190.
      Jalen Redmond
      DT Oklahoma
       
    • CLE
      229.
      Anthony Bradford
      OG LSU
       
     
  • Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       
    • CLE
      98.
      Tyler Steen
      OT Alabama
       
    • CLE
      111.
      Jonathan Mingo
      WR Ole Miss
       
    • CLE
      126.
      Zach Harrison
      EDGE Ohio State
       
    • CLE
      140.
      Parker Washington
      WR Penn State
       
    • CLE
      142.
      Luke Schoonmaker
      TE Michigan
       
    • CLE
      190.
      Jalen Redmond
      DT Oklahoma
       
    • CLE
      229.
      Anthony Bradford
      OG LSU
       
     

    @ballpeen said:

    Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       

    Bless Ur little pea pickin' heart. Speed kills.?

  • To me, after maybe the first 10 picks of the 1st round, it is all based on uncertainty.  In every draft you have 1-2 guys selected way earlier than projected, and a few who go way later.

    Once that happens, it jumbles everything down the line.  Some GMs panic and that is where runs start,  Others figure at that point it is all balled up and just start taking players who are the best available, even when they don't seem to make a lot of sense.

    @ballpeen said:

    To me, after maybe the first 10 picks of the 1st round, it is all based on uncertainty.  In every draft you have 1-2 guys selected way earlier than projected, and a few who go way later.

    Once that happens, it jumbles everything down the line.  Some GMs panic and that is where runs start,  Others figure at that point it is all balled up and just start taking players who are the best available, even when they don't seem to make a lot of sense.

    Can't say it any better than that!   I have fun familiarizing myself with the draft class so I have some sense of who were getting and who our rivals are getting.  Even with that, you never know what guys are going to pleasantly surprise or disappoint.

    Once the season gets going - it's also fun to see what guys guys come out of nowhere from the 6th or 7th round through the undrafted free agents.   That QB Brock Purdy for SF was Mr Irrelevant (the last pick of the draft) last year; and he closed the regular season undefeated with the handful of starts he had.  He looked impressive all the way until he got hurt against Philly in the post season.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Just a mock.  7 rounds using pro football network...no trades.

    • 74.
      Devon Achane
      RB Texas A&M
       

    Bless Ur little pea pickin' heart. Speed kills.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    Bless Ur little pea pickin' heart. Speed kills.?

    ?You love you some Aggies.  As soon as I saw that first selection he made I knew you'd be lovin that!

  • Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

  • Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    Might be worth reviewing the whole video, but here is his favorite play.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    Might be worth reviewing the whole video, but here is his favorite play.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Might be worth reviewing the whole video, but here is his favorite play.

     Don't have too, is it the outside zone or the offset counter?  Both he broke off for long runs against Arky and primarily all he ran.

     Being a one cut runner in an OZ such as ours, or another example like San Fran, is fantastic.   Again his running doesn't concern me as much as his durability and the other shortcomings I mentioned.

  • Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    The good thing is we don't need Achane to step in unless injury strikes.  We will need him to step in next year or the year after once Chubb is more or less done here in Cleveland.

    I don't think he is a 3rd down back.  He will be a lead back.  I think we best have a little more back there than Ford.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Archane is a concern for me.    

     Because he's actually not *bad* sized, good lower body build for being around that 190lb mark.  Which means he's got a shorter torso but longer legs for his height.  I can empathize because I'm built similar, and probably should have played RB ?

     In watching the Arkansas game, I see...

     - Willingness to be strong between the tackles

    - Decent vision and patience (might dance just a touch too much at times.  Hey, that's an ACDC reference!)

    - Solid balance and strength for his frame.  

    - Outstanding straight line and one cut speed.

     I question his start stop, lateral change of direction and contact balance though.  Dude his weight and center of gravity should look to 'bounce' off more tackles but makes himself a bigger target than he needs to be.   Strong hands when the ball is put on him and really looks the catch in.    Didn't see much in the way of the HB choice in the passing game, and when A&M put together some 3 man flood work, there was one play in particular where DA missed an opportunity to setup his linebacker before making the flat break and really creating separation.

     That's where things start to boil down for me.  The straight line speed is unquestionable, but if you're putting a 3rd round pick into a RB that you value for speed and space, I need to know he can routinely create matchup issues against any LB's and a lot of DB's that have him in assignment.  And I don't mean doing that by just being fast, I mean leveraging your defender and setting them up for failure, I mean understanding coverages as they unfold in front of you and being on the same page as your QB.  Because if your footwork, your hips and quickness aren't great, then the top end truly doesn't matter.  That's what separates run CMC from just about every other RB in the NFL and from a track star that is Archane.  As a pure runner I feel like I'm watching Elijah Mitchell a good bit, and that's a pretty solid comparison and player to have.  But the rest of it? Not so much. 

     A top 75 RB at 5'9 190lbs has to be an all around weapon.  Given that you're going to struggle holding up in protection, I'm going to need you to be effective and reliable day 1 in order to beat pressure by throwing out of it.   You're going to be my answer to additional bodies coming at me if I'm Watson. 

     Not entirely his fault, but I don't see Devon being that player at the moment.   It isn't that he's physically not capable, he just isn't developed enough in the receiving game to fill a role that Felton is likely ahead of him on by a great deal.  

    The good thing is we don't need Achane to step in unless injury strikes.  We will need him to step in next year or the year after once Chubb is more or less done here in Cleveland.

    I don't think he is a 3rd down back.  He will be a lead back.  I think we best have a little more back there than Ford.

    @ballpeen said:

    The good thing is we don't need Achane to step in unless injury strikes.  We will need him to step in next year or the year after once Chubb is more or less done here in Cleveland.

    I don't think he is a 3rd down back.  He will be a lead back.  I think we best have a little more back there than Ford.

    I don't think we should quit on Ford.  He was a very productive back for a college team that was in the BCS playoffs in 2021.  Keep in mind, we did have significant money going toward Hunt so the reps after Chubb were already decided. They weren't going to put Ford out there ahead of Hunt as a rookie.  That didn't mean we should give up on Ford.  Ford isn't as small as people may think either.  He was listed at 5'11" 210lbs on the Browns 2022 pre-camp roster.  In comparison, Hunt was 5'11" and 216lbs. IMO, Hunt lost some of his quickness last year.  He just didn't look like the same guy.  

    I don't think it'll hurt us to see what we have in Ford and possibly even promote John Kelly, Jr to compete for reps.  I could see us adding either adding an undrafted free agent RB or a RB in the 6th or 7th round.  I could also be wrong.  It is possible the Browns want what Hunt used to be (a rookie of the year/immediate impact drafted in round 3) type of talent efficient at rushing and receiving. With Chubb still here it seems unlikely to draft a RB that high when KC just showed they could draft a stud like Isaiah Pacheco out of Rutgers in round 7 at 5'11" 215lbs.  As @tiamat63 was pointing out this RB is going to have to be great at exploiting defensive vulnerabilities as quickly as/before pass pro breaks down as a receiver out of the backfield. He may also have to be that guy in the backfield that blocks the first leak in the pass pro up front from parking Watson. 

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    The good thing is we don't need Achane to step in unless injury strikes.  We will need him to step in next year or the year after once Chubb is more or less done here in Cleveland.

    I don't think he is a 3rd down back.  He will be a lead back.  I think we best have a little more back there than Ford.

    I don't think we should quit on Ford.  He was a very productive back for a college team that was in the BCS playoffs in 2021.  Keep in mind, we did have significant money going toward Hunt so the reps after Chubb were already decided. They weren't going to put Ford out there ahead of Hunt as a rookie.  That didn't mean we should give up on Ford.  Ford isn't as small as people may think either.  He was listed at 5'11" 210lbs on the Browns 2022 pre-camp roster.  In comparison, Hunt was 5'11" and 216lbs. IMO, Hunt lost some of his quickness last year.  He just didn't look like the same guy.  

    I don't think it'll hurt us to see what we have in Ford and possibly even promote John Kelly, Jr to compete for reps.  I could see us adding either adding an undrafted free agent RB or a RB in the 6th or 7th round.  I could also be wrong.  It is possible the Browns want what Hunt used to be (a rookie of the year/immediate impact drafted in round 3) type of talent efficient at rushing and receiving. With Chubb still here it seems unlikely to draft a RB that high when KC just showed they could draft a stud like Isaiah Pacheco out of Rutgers in round 7 at 5'11" 215lbs.  As @tiamat63 was pointing out this RB is going to have to be great at exploiting defensive vulnerabilities as quickly as/before pass pro breaks down as a receiver out of the backfield. He may also have to be that guy in the backfield that blocks the first leak in the pass pro up front from parking Watson. 

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

    @flugel said:

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

    And the X-factor BPA is exactly how I see Achane if he even makes it to #74. We don't have a once every 10 year elite speed guy that can screw up a defense in multiple ways along with all those good off season signees for Watson. One more guy that has to be covered or he's gone.

    All that said Walter has us taking a S and drafttek has us taking an Edge. Walter says Achane goes to K.C. after our pick and I think they understand the value of X-factors better than any team in the league. EDIT: He most reminds me of our last speedy RB converted to WR and return specialist for K.C. that worked out quite well for them, Dante Hall. I think Achane is far better as a faster RB, but pro day scouts worked him out as a receiver too.

  • @flugel said:

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

    And the X-factor BPA is exactly how I see Achane if he even makes it to #74. We don't have a once every 10 year elite speed guy that can screw up a defense in multiple ways along with all those good off season signees for Watson. One more guy that has to be covered or he's gone.

    All that said Walter has us taking a S and drafttek has us taking an Edge. Walter says Achane goes to K.C. after our pick and I think they understand the value of X-factors better than any team in the league. EDIT: He most reminds me of our last speedy RB converted to WR and return specialist for K.C. that worked out quite well for them, Dante Hall. I think Achane is far better as a faster RB, but pro day scouts worked him out as a receiver too.

    @texasag1969 said:

    . We don't have a once every 10 year elite speed guy that can screw up a defense in multiple ways

     Only, Archane isn't a one every 10 year type speed. 

     There were 16 players that ran a sub 4.4 this combine alone.  Of those 16, 10 ran 4.36 or below. 

     And I've powered through 2 games of Devon's so far. I've failed to see him screw up any defense as a receiver because, I don't think my point is fully getting across here;his speed is like a knife that is dull if his ability to harness all facets of being a receiver out of the backfield aren't developed.   That's only the A&M coaching staff.  But drafting Archane and expecting this "X factor". (that phrase makes me gag) year one requires a great deal of projection that I don't have the sunshine and rainbows to follow. 

     As for Ford, nobody is quitting on him. He's the #2 until further notice. His reps are going to increase big time, as early as the HoF game. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    The good thing is we don't need Achane to step in unless injury strikes.  We will need him to step in next year or the year after once Chubb is more or less done here in Cleveland.

    I don't think he is a 3rd down back.  He will be a lead back.  I think we best have a little more back there than Ford.

    I don't think we should quit on Ford.  He was a very productive back for a college team that was in the BCS playoffs in 2021.  Keep in mind, we did have significant money going toward Hunt so the reps after Chubb were already decided. They weren't going to put Ford out there ahead of Hunt as a rookie.  That didn't mean we should give up on Ford.  Ford isn't as small as people may think either.  He was listed at 5'11" 210lbs on the Browns 2022 pre-camp roster.  In comparison, Hunt was 5'11" and 216lbs. IMO, Hunt lost some of his quickness last year.  He just didn't look like the same guy.  

    I don't think it'll hurt us to see what we have in Ford and possibly even promote John Kelly, Jr to compete for reps.  I could see us adding either adding an undrafted free agent RB or a RB in the 6th or 7th round.  I could also be wrong.  It is possible the Browns want what Hunt used to be (a rookie of the year/immediate impact drafted in round 3) type of talent efficient at rushing and receiving. With Chubb still here it seems unlikely to draft a RB that high when KC just showed they could draft a stud like Isaiah Pacheco out of Rutgers in round 7 at 5'11" 215lbs.  As @tiamat63 was pointing out this RB is going to have to be great at exploiting defensive vulnerabilities as quickly as/before pass pro breaks down as a receiver out of the backfield. He may also have to be that guy in the backfield that blocks the first leak in the pass pro up front from parking Watson. 

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

    @flugel said:

    I don't think we should quit on Ford.  He was a very productive back for a college team that was in the BCS playoffs in 2021.  Keep in mind, we did have significant money going toward Hunt so the reps after Chubb were already decided. They weren't going to put Ford out there ahead of Hunt as a rookie.  That didn't mean we should give up on Ford.  Ford isn't as small as people may think either.  He was listed at 5'11" 210lbs on the Browns 2022 pre-camp roster.  In comparison, Hunt was 5'11" and 216lbs. IMO, Hunt lost some of his quickness last year.  He just didn't look like the same guy.  

    I don't think it'll hurt us to see what we have in Ford and possibly even promote John Kelly, Jr to compete for reps.  I could see us adding either adding an undrafted free agent RB or a RB in the 6th or 7th round.  I could also be wrong.  It is possible the Browns want what Hunt used to be (a rookie of the year/immediate impact drafted in round 3) type of talent efficient at rushing and receiving. With Chubb still here it seems unlikely to draft a RB that high when KC just showed they could draft a stud like Isaiah Pacheco out of Rutgers in round 7 at 5'11" 215lbs.  As @tiamat63 was pointing out this RB is going to have to be great at exploiting defensive vulnerabilities as quickly as/before pass pro breaks down as a receiver out of the backfield. He may also have to be that guy in the backfield that blocks the first leak in the pass pro up front from parking Watson. 

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

    I am not quitting on Ford.  I am just not willing to put ally my eggs in that basket.  Even if he is great, it never hurts to have a soild back-up in reserve.

    And really, when you start drafting in the 3rd all you can really expect is solid.  The hit rate starts to drop significantly after the 1st and maybe the 2nd round.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    . We don't have a once every 10 year elite speed guy that can screw up a defense in multiple ways

     Only, Archane isn't a one every 10 year type speed. 

     There were 16 players that ran a sub 4.4 this combine alone.  Of those 16, 10 ran 4.36 or below. 

     And I've powered through 2 games of Devon's so far. I've failed to see him screw up any defense as a receiver because, I don't think my point is fully getting across here;his speed is like a knife that is dull if his ability to harness all facets of being a receiver out of the backfield aren't developed.   That's only the A&M coaching staff.  But drafting Archane and expecting this "X factor". (that phrase makes me gag) year one requires a great deal of projection that I don't have the sunshine and rainbows to follow. 

     As for Ford, nobody is quitting on him. He's the #2 until further notice. His reps are going to increase big time, as early as the HoF game. 

    @tiamat63 said:

     Only, Archane isn't a one every 10 year type speed. 

     There were 16 players that ran a sub 4.4 this combine alone.  Of those 16, 10 ran 4.36 or below. 

     And I've powered through 2 games of Devon's so far. I've failed to see him screw up any defense as a receiver because, I don't think my point is fully getting across here;his speed is like a knife that is dull if his ability to harness all facets of being a receiver out of the backfield aren't developed.   That's only the A&M coaching staff.  But drafting Archane and expecting this "X factor". (that phrase makes me gag) year one requires a great deal of projection that I don't have the sunshine and rainbows to follow. 

     As for Ford, nobody is quitting on him. He's the #2 until further notice. His reps are going to increase big time, as early as the HoF game. 

    Part of the problem with A&Ms offense is that they didn't use him in the passing game as much as they should have which is why Fisher fired himself as OC and brought in Petrino with a more dynamic offense.

    However when they did throw his direction he had excellent pass catching ability, which is why some pro scouts were working him out in WR for the A&M proday. I think they saw what I saw the past two years. When they target him he gets open and creates problems.

    I like Ford as well. But Johnson is now gone and no replacement signed to my knowledge. So if he's BPA, why not take him. You don't want him going to Cincy. That is where one of the services thinks he goes.

  • @flugel said:

    I don't think we should quit on Ford.  He was a very productive back for a college team that was in the BCS playoffs in 2021.  Keep in mind, we did have significant money going toward Hunt so the reps after Chubb were already decided. They weren't going to put Ford out there ahead of Hunt as a rookie.  That didn't mean we should give up on Ford.  Ford isn't as small as people may think either.  He was listed at 5'11" 210lbs on the Browns 2022 pre-camp roster.  In comparison, Hunt was 5'11" and 216lbs. IMO, Hunt lost some of his quickness last year.  He just didn't look like the same guy.  

    I don't think it'll hurt us to see what we have in Ford and possibly even promote John Kelly, Jr to compete for reps.  I could see us adding either adding an undrafted free agent RB or a RB in the 6th or 7th round.  I could also be wrong.  It is possible the Browns want what Hunt used to be (a rookie of the year/immediate impact drafted in round 3) type of talent efficient at rushing and receiving. With Chubb still here it seems unlikely to draft a RB that high when KC just showed they could draft a stud like Isaiah Pacheco out of Rutgers in round 7 at 5'11" 215lbs.  As @tiamat63 was pointing out this RB is going to have to be great at exploiting defensive vulnerabilities as quickly as/before pass pro breaks down as a receiver out of the backfield. He may also have to be that guy in the backfield that blocks the first leak in the pass pro up front from parking Watson. 

    With all the new additions to our roster, the Browns have set themselves up to go after their perceived X-factors/BPA as often as they want to as well as need/depth.  I'm guessing a little of both. 

    I am not quitting on Ford.  I am just not willing to put ally my eggs in that basket.  Even if he is great, it never hurts to have a soild back-up in reserve.

    And really, when you start drafting in the 3rd all you can really expect is solid.  The hit rate starts to drop significantly after the 1st and maybe the 2nd round.

    @ballpeen said:

    I am not quitting on Ford.  I am just not willing to put ally my eggs in that basket.  Even if he is great, it never hurts to have a soild back-up in reserve.

    And really, when you start drafting in the 3rd all you can really expect is solid.  The hit rate starts to drop significantly after the 1st and maybe the 2nd round.

    Nobody is asking you put all your eggs into that basket (Ford).  That said, Ford is here - so what's wrong with wanting to see how he does?  I didn't sign him to a contract - the Browns did.  Let's at least see what he can do.  I think they'll add a RB whether it's via undrafted free agency or in the draft.  Didn't I also bring up John Kelly who is here too?   Last year Hunt's contract dictated who got all the reps when Chubb came out.  This year it's a nice opportunity for who is here and who else gets added.

  • I like Kelly as well, but the time is running out on him.  I just see us drafting a RB.  We need 3 running backs.  I don't want to count on Kelly or the UCLA chump to be that guy.

    Again...it's just a mock draft.  It isn't something i advocate.  I just went with the best players available as I saw it from the players presented in that mock simulation.

  • I like Kelly as well, but the time is running out on him.  I just see us drafting a RB.  We need 3 running backs.  I don't want to count on Kelly or the UCLA chump to be that guy.

    Again...it's just a mock draft.  It isn't something i advocate.  I just went with the best players available as I saw it from the players presented in that mock simulation.

    @ballpeen said:

    I like Kelly as well, but the time is running out on him.  I just see us drafting a RB.  We need 3 running backs.  I don't want to count on Kelly or the UCLA chump to be that guy.

    Again...it's just a mock draft.  It isn't something i advocate.  I just went with the best players available as I saw it from the players presented in that mock simulation.

    Fair enough.  I think we need 3 too.  

    Here's some highlights of Jerome Ford and his 20 TDs during his senior year that give me intrigue.  He was a pretty big scoring weapon that resembled a lot of the things Kareem Hunt could do in college.  You don't have to agree with me I'm just showing you why I'd love to see what he can do.

  • We agree.  I think Ford has a good shot at being a very good player.  I am not sure why we didn't play him more last year.  If we draft a back, I don't see it as us not having faith in Ford.

    One thing I have noticed about Berry is he seems to draft a year ahead of need.  I think the Ford pick was in anticipation of Hunts departure.

    It could be we don't go R back this year, but Chubb's contract expires after next season.  I'd say the odds of extending him after that are pretty slim.  If we do draft a back, it could signal we might be open to trading the guy after this season if we hope to get something for him.

    I think Belicheck said he would rather cut a player a year early rather than a year late.  I suppose you could apply that to trade as well.