Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Bengals
-

Second game of the 2022 preseason for the 2023 season.
The Bengals have got themselves solidly in the middle of the pack on defense. They're better than we are against the run...but they don't run it very well (and/or very much). IMO that was their major mistake against us last time. All ya gotta do is give it to Mixon in between the tackles. Our DT's are backups and we're pulling MLB'ers from practice squads. But who knows, maybe their pig-headed coach will want to flaunt his 4th best passing attack again.
Of course we're still a powerful running team...but we've seen that defenses can devote themselves to stopping our run and dare us to pass it. And I suppose that's what we'll see this week. As might have been suspected, Watson was not good in his first game back. But the Texans can get after the QB. The Bengals are not nearly as good as the Texans in that area. Perhaps that, and getting last week under his belt (I just love that 'under his belt' line when discussing Watson - sick no?) might mean that the game might slow down enough for him that we see some improvement from him. But the other problem is that we're getting quite thin at WR. Like MLB'ers, we're pulling them off other team's practice squads. Hopefully Njoku and Bell can play.
I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided. The Bengals would get extra credit because being proficient at passing is more valuable the running...plus they're at home....plus Brissett is probably better than Watson at this point in time....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.
(I won't get to see the game as my 'other' band is playing a Christmas show) Go Browns
-
I think Joe Burrow gets off the mat vs the Browns and gets his first win. The Bengals seemingly have found their running game, and I don't see Watson doing a 180 from his first game and being able to match Burrow, plus he'll have to deal with AFC North weather. (A problem, longterm, that I'm curious to see how he will deal with. I have some doubts)
-
-
DJ Reader is back and playing well-ish. Pocic is out for us so that's a double whammy.
Bungles appear willing to involve Perine in the downhill running game.
Our LB situation is more and more of a wreck because we can't keep them clean.
CIN Coming off a big win at home and keeping that momentum.
CIN -4. O/U 47.5.
I'm not touching either. But gun to my head I'd lean a bit under.
-
Name POS Status Date Injury Returns Hayden Hurst TE Sidelined Dec 3, 2022 Calf Daxton Hill S Questionable Nov 5, 2022 Shoulder Mike Hilton DB Questionable Nov 3, 2022 Finger Chidobe Awuzie DB I.L. Oct 31, 2022 Knee Out for season Ja'Marr Chase WR Questionable Oct 26, 2022 Hip Likely to play Josh Tupou DL Questionable Oct 15, 2022 Calf Drew Sample TE I.L. Sep 20, 2022 Knee Out indefinitely Clark Harris STM I.L. Sep 11, 2022 Biceps Out for season Tycen Anderson S I.L. Sep 1, 2022 Hamstring Brandon Wilson DB PUP Aug 23, 2022 Undisclosed Eligible to return Ben Brown C I.L. Aug 14, 2022 Biceps Out for season Elijah Holyfield RB I.L. Jul 26, 2022 Leg Out for season Name POS Status Date Injury Returns Amari Cooper WR Questionable Dec 8, 2022 Hip Anthony Schwartz WR Sidelined Dec 6, 2022 Concussion Questionable for Week 14 Ethan Pocic C Sidelined Nov 19, 2022 Knee Questionable to return Joe Haeg T I.L. Oct 28, 2022 Concussion Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Sidelined Oct 26, 2022 Knee Jacob Phillips LB I.L. Oct 23, 2022 Pectorals Out for season Wyatt Teller G Questionable Oct 15, 2022 Calf Jerome Ford RB Questionable Oct 3, 2022 Ankle Eligible to return Anthony Walker LB I.L. Sep 21, 2022 Leg Out for season Jesse James TE I.L. Sep 17, 2022 Biceps Eligible to return Chase Winovich EDGE Questionable Sep 17, 2022 Hamstring Eligible to return Chris Odom DL I.L. Aug 26, 2022 Knee Out for season Dawson Deaton G I.L. Aug 14, 2022 Knee Out for season Nick Harris C I.L. Aug 11, 2022 Knee Out for season Jakeem Grant WR I.L. Aug 8, 2022 Achilles Out for season Stephen Weatherly EDGE I.L. Aug 6, 2022 Knee Out for season Isaiah Weston WR I.L. Jul 29, 2022 Knee Out for season -

Second game of the 2022 preseason for the 2023 season.
The Bengals have got themselves solidly in the middle of the pack on defense. They're better than we are against the run...but they don't run it very well (and/or very much). IMO that was their major mistake against us last time. All ya gotta do is give it to Mixon in between the tackles. Our DT's are backups and we're pulling MLB'ers from practice squads. But who knows, maybe their pig-headed coach will want to flaunt his 4th best passing attack again.
Of course we're still a powerful running team...but we've seen that defenses can devote themselves to stopping our run and dare us to pass it. And I suppose that's what we'll see this week. As might have been suspected, Watson was not good in his first game back. But the Texans can get after the QB. The Bengals are not nearly as good as the Texans in that area. Perhaps that, and getting last week under his belt (I just love that 'under his belt' line when discussing Watson - sick no?) might mean that the game might slow down enough for him that we see some improvement from him. But the other problem is that we're getting quite thin at WR. Like MLB'ers, we're pulling them off other team's practice squads. Hopefully Njoku and Bell can play.
I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided. The Bengals would get extra credit because being proficient at passing is more valuable the running...plus they're at home....plus Brissett is probably better than Watson at this point in time....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.
(I won't get to see the game as my 'other' band is playing a Christmas show) Go Browns
I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided. The Bengals would get extra credit because being proficient at passing is more valuable the running...plus they're at home....plus Brissett is probably better than Watson at this point in time....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.
There's a huge part of me that would absolutely be all over a spread that small. Even though we play well against the Bengals, I'm struggling to see Watson improve that much. We all knew he'd be rusty, but it was far worse than expected.
That being said, if Watson gets back to form quickly, he's talented enough to get us a W, and if he loosens up the box enough, Chubb will go bananas. I'd say 75% we lose, but I can see a path forward.
-
we lost to the Bengals just one time since Huey left.
Apparently the Public is all over the Bengals in this one giving the points. The #1 game overall this week.
if I had to use a couple angles on this one besides the one above which is profitable….
Bengals let down after an emotional win against their new rival (the highest rated (tv) game of the year.
Division game…these are normally close games. Well aside from the beat downs we’ve given them lately.
We seem to matchup better against teams that don’t play bully ball too
-
I think we beat the Tuck arse. We do own them.
-
@ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:
The offensive line is important but offensive linemen are a dime-a-dozen. Both the Steelers and Pat's won a SB with a walk-on LT.
Of all the potential problems for the Browns, the OL is not one of them.
Chubb will have a career day and Watson will pass for 3 TDs. Browns score 35 tomorrow
I hope you're right.
Browns 19
BenGals 17
-

Second game of the 2022 preseason for the 2023 season.
The Bengals have got themselves solidly in the middle of the pack on defense. They're better than we are against the run...but they don't run it very well (and/or very much). IMO that was their major mistake against us last time. All ya gotta do is give it to Mixon in between the tackles. Our DT's are backups and we're pulling MLB'ers from practice squads. But who knows, maybe their pig-headed coach will want to flaunt his 4th best passing attack again.
Of course we're still a powerful running team...but we've seen that defenses can devote themselves to stopping our run and dare us to pass it. And I suppose that's what we'll see this week. As might have been suspected, Watson was not good in his first game back. But the Texans can get after the QB. The Bengals are not nearly as good as the Texans in that area. Perhaps that, and getting last week under his belt (I just love that 'under his belt' line when discussing Watson - sick no?) might mean that the game might slow down enough for him that we see some improvement from him. But the other problem is that we're getting quite thin at WR. Like MLB'ers, we're pulling them off other team's practice squads. Hopefully Njoku and Bell can play.
I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided. The Bengals would get extra credit because being proficient at passing is more valuable the running...plus they're at home....plus Brissett is probably better than Watson at this point in time....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.
(I won't get to see the game as my 'other' band is playing a Christmas show) Go Browns
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

