Skip to content

Mayfield

The Browns Board
381 39 19.4k 2
  • Do we have a sub-forum for completely irrelevant former football players we can move this topic to?

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Do we have a sub-forum for completely irrelevant former football players we can move this topic to?

    Yes...it's called the OBJ room...

  • Baker is a headcase. For you morons that insist he doesn't have qb talent is just plain idiotic. I don't know if he will ever return to his early form, but I kind of doubt it. He over compensates with his remarks and public displays, for his fragile ego. Even though he seems to have unlimited confidence, as soon as he throws an int, or misses a pass or 2, he's done. He can't come back from mistakes. Still...after what I saw yesterday, I would take him over Watson all day long.

    @lodilobo said:

    Baker is a headcase. For you morons that insist he doesn't have qb talent is just plain idiotic. I don't know if he will ever return to his early form, but I kind of doubt it. He over compensates with his remarks and public displays, for his fragile ego. Even though he seems to have unlimited confidence, as soon as he throws an int, or misses a pass or 2, he's done. He can't come back from mistakes. Still...after what I saw yesterday, I would take him over Watson all day long.

    Baker is his own worst "enema" right now... I'm highly disappointed in him...

  • @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    I understand the low opinion of his talents, but not the hatred for the guy.

    I share the opinion of him delivering inferior performance , and also that he is a weird motherfucker.

    However, he loved the Browns and his heart was 100% with the team. So the hate is because he busted? No, it's because he is weird?

    3 Things

    *That he made chaotic public comments tell me that the HC may have never really wrapped its arms around this kid. His behavior reminded me of a misbehaved child who had no Father figure. Maybe it was a lost cause, but I think Stefanski failed at coaching his off field development.

    *For a short time, he was the shit. He performed at a high level. One cannot say he does not have NFL caliber talent. Did the Browns not coach him properly that he nose dived, or is Mayfield just an uncountable asshole? I don't think anyone knows that.

    * Carolina is not exactly a repository for football know how and great quarterbacks.

    Mayfield has athletic potential well beyond the average person. He, and nobody else will determine what happens next. Only Mayfield can end his football journey.

    Jake Delhomme was their best and he was average in my book

  • Mayfield released, LMAO!

    @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

    Mayfield released, LMAO!

    Per his request.. Wish granted...

  • Baker Mayfield is a complete fucking loser. He couldn't even keep the starting job on a bottom 3 team. Baker has backup caliber talent at best. And no team wants to deal with his bitchiness and moping about not being the starter. He should just quit the NFL and join the Canadian Football League. Goodbye Loser Baker!!!

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Baker Mayfield is a complete fucking loser. He couldn't even keep the starting job on a bottom 3 team. Baker has backup caliber talent at best. And no team wants to deal with his bitchiness and moping about not being the starter. He should just quit the NFL and join the Canadian Football League. Goodbye Loser Baker!!!

    No he should hope to God Lincoln Riley gets an NFL gig and saves his ass...

  • We didn't need another Baker thread... But thanks for playing... He's gone dude...

  • We didn't need another Baker thread... But thanks for playing... He's gone dude...

    @nickers said:

    We didn't need another Baker thread... But thanks for playing... He's gone dude...

    Oh yes  -but-  I couldn't resist putting the other reports of Baker Reagan Mayfield's departure from professional football up somewhere. 

    Besides  the threads will eventually get merged and in a few weeks or months probably will disappear forever.

    BUT  until then it's just one more      adios Baker      from the BROWNS fans everywhere. 

    And  GO BROWNS,   moving on. 

  • From the B/R Bleacher Report.   (Like a Cleveland fans'  " we told you so".)

    The Carolina Panthers released quarterback Baker Mayfield on Monday, allowing the veteran quarterback to hit waivers before the stretch run of the regular season.

    Jeff Howe of The Athletic reported Mayfield requested his release after being informed he would be the third quarterback on the depth chart behind Sam Darnold and PJ Walker.

    Jeff Howe@jeffphowe
    The Panthers had informed Baker Mayfield that he was going to be the No. 3 QB, per source. Mayfield then requested to be released to get a fresh start elsewhere, and the Panthers obliged. He’ll hit waivers.

    Mayfield threw for 1,313 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions in seven appearances (six starts) for the Panthers this season. Carolina acquired Mayfield in the offseason in a trade with the Cleveland Browns; releasing him now locks in Cleveland's compensation as a fifth-round pick rather than a potential fourth-rounder.

    @mjp28 said:

    releasing him now locks in Cleveland's compensation as a fifth-round pick

    #1 overall.....to a fifth round pick.    Such are the gambles of the draft.  As I recall, I wanted the tall drink of water with the strong arm.  But Dorsey chose the short guy with the strong arm that couldn't outrun a cop.  

  • I’ve thought all along…He’s not a Chase Daniel/Mike Glennon type.  

    That would require him to be a professional and study the game and be a good influence on younger QBs.  And of course play decently when called upon. 
     

    Taking a pay cut and being more prepared and more mature than he ever has is too much to ask.

    I could see him being out of football soon.

  • @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

    Mayfield released, LMAO!

    Per his request.. Wish granted...

    @nickers said:

    Per his request.. Wish granted...

    I wish Baker the best, and hope he catches on with another team that has more skill at wr and oline that he can make it work. That, and a Kelce type of TE. Who knows - we may see Baker in the playoffs later.

  • @nickers said:

    Per his request.. Wish granted...

    I wish Baker the best, and hope he catches on with another team that has more skill at wr and oline that he can make it work. That, and a Kelce type of TE. Who knows - we may see Baker in the playoffs later.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I wish Baker the best, and hope he catches on with another team that has more skill at wr and oline that he can make it work. That, and a Kelce type of TE. Who knows - we may see Baker in the playoffs later.

    And the 2000 Ravens defense, and Ray Guy at punter, and Justin Tucker at kicker, with Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs as their kick returners. 

    All jokes aside, the 49ers (unless I missed any news today) need a QB with Jimmy G. out for the season. They could do worse than Baker, who I always thought was in that middle-of-the-road starting QB class with Garappolo. 

  • I’ve thought all along…He’s not a Chase Daniel/Mike Glennon type.  

    That would require him to be a professional and study the game and be a good influence on younger QBs.  And of course play decently when called upon. 
     

    Taking a pay cut and being more prepared and more mature than he ever has is too much to ask.

    I could see him being out of football soon.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I could see him being out of football soon.

    If so it would be partly because of his attitude.  

    Perhaps the Texans will sign him.  

  • I’ve thought all along…He’s not a Chase Daniel/Mike Glennon type.  

    That would require him to be a professional and study the game and be a good influence on younger QBs.  And of course play decently when called upon. 
     

    Taking a pay cut and being more prepared and more mature than he ever has is too much to ask.

    I could see him being out of football soon.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I could see him being out of football soon.

    Yep, this is the 2nd phase of that rapidly approaching inevitability, and he only has to look in the mirror for the reason why.... Dude has physical talent for sure, but inside he's still that guy that tried to evade the police and most likely always will be. 

  • @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    CAL....or Calsnots as I have always called you with affection, :-), you have stated what I hinted at in my.more verbose post.

    Baker has played at a high level in the NFL. A spearing non call against us prevented the Browns going to the AFC championship game.

    There is enough evidence that Baker could still emerge as a diamond in the rough.

    I just don't know that the fat lady has sung on him yet. I think he is weird, but he loved Cleveland, and I too wish him the best

    LOL. I remember, always took it with humor. The Niners have lost Trey Lance earlier on, now they have lost Garoppolo for the rest of the season, and activated Brock Purdy ??? their "Mr. Irrevelent" last pick.

       Who knows? Maybe they will sign Baker, and he will be a Heisman winner backing up the last pick....and go to a superbowl and get a ring.

     LOL LOL LOL.

    that would be great.

  • baker mayfield planting unemployment flag.jpeg

  • 9ers are probably pretty desperate.

    I hope the Heisman commercial's pay well 😉

  • AxeA Axe

    9ers are probably pretty desperate.

    I hope the Heisman commercial's pay well 😉

    @axe said:

    9ers are probably pretty desperate.

    I hope the Heisman commercial's pay well 😉

    Like I said on the other Baker thread, the 49ers would not be dumb if they picked him up. 

    With that team, he wouldn't be asked to be great. He could possibly try and emulate what Jacoby did here for 11 games. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I could see him being out of football soon.

    If so it would be partly because of his attitude.  

    Perhaps the Texans will sign him.  

    @orion said:

    If so it would be partly because of his attitude.  

    Perhaps the Texans will sign him.  

    I can imagine Dallas making a run for him this Spring.  
     

    Cooper Rush is a UFA and he’s probably going to cash in somewhere else 

  • @orion said:

    If so it would be partly because of his attitude.  

    Perhaps the Texans will sign him.  

    I can imagine Dallas making a run for him this Spring.  
     

    Cooper Rush is a UFA and he’s probably going to cash in somewhere else 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I can imagine Dallas making a run for him this Spring.  
     

    Cooper Rush is a UFA and he’s probably going to cash in somewhere else 

    That would be such a Cowboys move, actually. 

  • If we are being totally honest, Baker played for the absolute worst organization in football and was more successful here than anyone else had been. I hold no animosity toward him whatsoever. While we're being honest, if yesterday is any indication of what we have to look forward to, we're in deep shit.