Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Ravens
-
I remember listening to one of Watson's college coaches on an interview call with The Fan radio. It was a few days before he signed with us. His coach basically said that Cleveland has absolutely NO chance at getting Watson. That he absolutely HATES their winter weather and would never go to a team that has that kind of weather.
And then the next day it was announced that Cleveland was out of the running for Watson and that it would be New Orleans or Atlanta.
And then the NEXT day it was announced that he's a Cleveland Brown. I was like, What the hell caused that? And then I heard about the fully guaranteed 230 million reasons. Just another mercenary.
Some of us would never relocate no matter the money involved. I have to think it may have been a factor but definitely not a deciding factor. Atlanta, Carolina or anyone else actively pursuing him has to go on the road too and play in lousy weather.
And there is No amount money that I’d take to go and live in places like El Paso, TX., St. George, UT, Pittsburgh for (obvious and not so obvious reasons) or a region like central PA. Right before I moved to Southern California I almost relocated to Scranton, PA….it was Youngstown Ohio…with no family and subpar Italian and polish food and some of most worst pizza I’ve ever had. No offense here if I named a locale anyone resides in…to each their own. California can be lousy too
Atlanta, Carolina or anyone else actively pursuing him has to go on the road too and play in lousy weather.
Yes, but you get to go home after the game.
-
I remember listening to one of Watson's college coaches on an interview call with The Fan radio. It was a few days before he signed with us. His coach basically said that Cleveland has absolutely NO chance at getting Watson. That he absolutely HATES their winter weather and would never go to a team that has that kind of weather.
And then the next day it was announced that Cleveland was out of the running for Watson and that it would be New Orleans or Atlanta.
And then the NEXT day it was announced that he's a Cleveland Brown. I was like, What the hell caused that? And then I heard about the fully guaranteed 230 million reasons. Just another mercenary.
Some of us would never relocate no matter the money involved. I have to think it may have been a factor but definitely not a deciding factor. Atlanta, Carolina or anyone else actively pursuing him has to go on the road too and play in lousy weather.
And there is No amount money that I’d take to go and live in places like El Paso, TX., St. George, UT, Pittsburgh for (obvious and not so obvious reasons) or a region like central PA. Right before I moved to Southern California I almost relocated to Scranton, PA….it was Youngstown Ohio…with no family and subpar Italian and polish food and some of most worst pizza I’ve ever had. No offense here if I named a locale anyone resides in…to each their own. California can be lousy too
Some of us would never relocate no matter the money involved.
.... St. George, UT, Pittsburgh
My oldest son & his family live in Houston, holy crap is it muggy down there.
My middle son lives in Phoenix....HOT!!
Both are good places to visit in the fall/winter though. I couldn't live there year round.
St. George, Ut...gateway to all those National Parks, what's wrong with it, I'm curious.
Pittsburgh, yeah. My sister has lived there since 1987. Married a Steeler fan & all their kids are Steeler fans, hate the Browns.
-
Atlanta, Carolina or anyone else actively pursuing him has to go on the road too and play in lousy weather.
Yes, but you get to go home after the game.
-
Once again, late in the season with nothing to really play for. Lots of guy going down so this will be a time for somebody to step up and maybe we can find another diamond in the rough. As i said before I have already made my mind up about Watson, not going to panic, even if he comes out and throws 5 interceptions( would be unfortunate but). I'm going to give him the same time I gave Mayfield, all I'm looking for is improvement which I believe we will see. This is like his pre-season, if he comes out at the start of next season and stinks then I will be concerned. If he stinks 8 games into next season then I will panic.
Players aside, I want to see improvement out of the coaching staff. If these guys can't show any kind of ability to make adjustment then I say shit can them all and just hope the new guy doesn't gut the roster. The biggest thing holding this team back aside from injuries are these morons. I mean, Stefanski showed so much promise when he got here and then suddenly turned into the Pat Shurmurs/Romeo Crennels/Hue Jacksons of season's past. I mean what the hell??
️
-
Once again, late in the season with nothing to really play for. Lots of guy going down so this will be a time for somebody to step up and maybe we can find another diamond in the rough. As i said before I have already made my mind up about Watson, not going to panic, even if he comes out and throws 5 interceptions( would be unfortunate but). I'm going to give him the same time I gave Mayfield, all I'm looking for is improvement which I believe we will see. This is like his pre-season, if he comes out at the start of next season and stinks then I will be concerned. If he stinks 8 games into next season then I will panic.
Players aside, I want to see improvement out of the coaching staff. If these guys can't show any kind of ability to make adjustment then I say shit can them all and just hope the new guy doesn't gut the roster. The biggest thing holding this team back aside from injuries are these morons. I mean, Stefanski showed so much promise when he got here and then suddenly turned into the Pat Shurmurs/Romeo Crennels/Hue Jacksons of season's past. I mean what the hell??
️
Players aside, I want to see improvement out of the coaching staff. If these guys can't show any kind of ability to make adjustment then I say shit can them all and just hope the new guy doesn't gut the roster. The biggest thing holding this team back aside from injuries are these morons. I mean, Stefanski showed so much promise when he got here and then suddenly turned into the Pat Shurmurs/Romeo Crennels/Hue Jacksons of season's past. I mean what the hell??
️
Do you sometimes this season get the impression that the coaching staff knows they are getting consistently outcoached, so that is why they do so many head-scratching moves in some kind of "let's compensate for being outcoached by outsmarting the other team!" act of desperation?
-
Players aside, I want to see improvement out of the coaching staff. If these guys can't show any kind of ability to make adjustment then I say shit can them all and just hope the new guy doesn't gut the roster. The biggest thing holding this team back aside from injuries are these morons. I mean, Stefanski showed so much promise when he got here and then suddenly turned into the Pat Shurmurs/Romeo Crennels/Hue Jacksons of season's past. I mean what the hell??
️
Do you sometimes this season get the impression that the coaching staff knows they are getting consistently outcoached, so that is why they do so many head-scratching moves in some kind of "let's compensate for being outcoached by outsmarting the other team!" act of desperation?
Do you sometimes this season get the impression that the coaching staff knows they are getting consistently outcoached, so that is why they do so many head-scratching moves in some kind of "let's compensate for being outcoached by outsmarting the other team!" act of desperation?
I'm not a big fan of the calls where people say, He's a genius if it works. Just make a smart call. But I DO remember having that feeling when Brian Dabol was here. I felt like he was staying up late to come up with a 'creative' play each week because the media & everyone else wanted to run him out of town like a common pigmy. (I'll refrain from posting Leslie Nielson and the Police Squad clip)
-
@ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:
I sold water purification technology into industry and science/medical facilities in the Pittsburgh area for 12 years of my career.
Great people, very similar NE Ohioans, just a different region. Also played a lot of music in the area. They treated me like a king.
However, geographically, the metro area is the gloomiest fucking part of the world I have ever been to. There are no parallel and perpendicular roads. The hills can make a 4 mile drive to get 1/4 mile from where you are.
Pittsburgh really is a fucking shithole.
Lol....well I was a mover for 14 years before I became a fireman/paramedic. Pittsburgh neighborhoods all seemed to be on a hill. You had to carry stuff uphill all day long, nothing's flat except the kitchen countertop.
It's not really a bad city, some good eateries. I just can't stand the dreaded Steelers. D'Anoias is my favorite restaurant there.
-
Wtf kevin does this mean??
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
-
Players aside, I want to see improvement out of the coaching staff. If these guys can't show any kind of ability to make adjustment then I say shit can them all and just hope the new guy doesn't gut the roster. The biggest thing holding this team back aside from injuries are these morons. I mean, Stefanski showed so much promise when he got here and then suddenly turned into the Pat Shurmurs/Romeo Crennels/Hue Jacksons of season's past. I mean what the hell??
️
Do you sometimes this season get the impression that the coaching staff knows they are getting consistently outcoached, so that is why they do so many head-scratching moves in some kind of "let's compensate for being outcoached by outsmarting the other team!" act of desperation?
Do you sometimes this season get the impression that the coaching staff knows they are getting consistently outcoached, so that is why they do so many head-scratching moves in some kind of "let's compensate for being outcoached by outsmarting the other team!" act of desperation?
I think Stefanski outcoached himself at times. Like the TE screen to Njoku that worked the first time for minimal yards then got blown up a couple of players later because the LB recognized it. I think it was Lavante David in the Bucs game. As athletic as Njoku is and the only way you can try to get him involved is a TE screen?
-
Wtf kevin does this mean??
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
no shit i saw that what a fucking idiot
-
Wtf kevin does this mean??
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
If this wasn't our favorite team - this stuff would be hilarious!
Now I have one of Baker's male cheerleaders trying to educate me about how terrific Matthew Stafford's backup QB is in between cartwheels... If McVay can get that kind of production out of a backup QB - just think would he could do with Watson.
I have to admit, one thing I wasn't expecting was to see our defense playing as well as they have in 3 of the last 4 weeks. I don't even think were playing that bad in Cincy; if our Special Teams didn't rough the Punter after our defense forced them to punt deep in their own territory.
-
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
If this wasn't our favorite team - this stuff would be hilarious!
Now I have one of Baker's male cheerleaders trying to educate me about how terrific Matthew Stafford's backup QB is in between cartwheels... If McVay can get that kind of production out of a backup QB - just think would he could do with Watson.
I have to admit, one thing I wasn't expecting was to see our defense playing as well as they have in 3 of the last 4 weeks. I don't even think were playing that bad in Cincy; if our Special Teams didn't rough the Punter after our defense forced them to punt deep in their own territory.
If this wasn't our favorite team - this stuff would be hilarious!
Now I have one of Baker's male cheerleaders trying to educate me about how terrific Matthew Stafford's backup QB is in between cartwheels... If McVay can get that kind of production out of a backup QB - just think would he could do with Watson.
I have to admit, one thing I wasn't expecting was to see our defense playing as well as they have in 3 of the last 4 weeks. I don't even think were playing that bad in Cincy; if our Special Teams didn't rough the Punter after our defense forced them to punt deep in their own territory.
Then again, the Browns defense started slow last season, then played well down the stretch too.
This year, they started in reverse and stayed that way for half the season, with virtually the same defensive roster. You are correct in saying that Woods was hamstrung when he was given such a bad interior DLine, but how completely lost the secondary was is on him.
Really proud of how the Browns played yesterday. A lot of teams would have rolled over and died in their position.
-
Repeat after me…
Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy.
-
Repeat after me…
Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy.
Repeat after me…
Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy.
Hold up....
Are you saying you are NOT a Joe Woods fan?
-
it isn't a matter of "male cheerleader", it's a matter of facts.
Baker, after week 14, has a higher qb rating than watson.
btw, both watson and Brissett have tremendous advantage with Amari Cooper. Two threads of Baker bashing, and some guys on here can't handle telling facts about Baker because "he's no longer with the team".
Right.
McVay can't teach watson how to have character and love the game.
That is watson's downfall, off the field.
He will never be the face of the frachise. For a lot of folks, whether or not he succeeds with the Browns
won't matter as much as it would have, if the Browns had a true leader at qb.
-
Wtf kevin does this mean??
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
That's as bad a quote as our secondary coach saying that the Bengals losing two of their starting receivers "made it harder to defend their offense".
I'm just done with this entire coaching staff.
Then again, the Browns defense started slow last season, then played well down the stretch too.
This year, they started in reverse and stayed that way for half the season, with virtually the same defensive roster. You are correct in saying that Woods was hamstrung when he was given such a bad interior DLine, but how completely lost the secondary was is on him.
In order
- Losing starters and replacing them with players who have little tape does accomplish one big thing, you lose whatever insight you had on play call tendency. Sure, when receivers are out you generally tend to run the ball a bit more. But with a QB like Joey Buckets, Taylor still has all the confidence in him to sling the rock all over even with Chase out. So that element of anticipation of calls and route strengths, that coaches and players learn about their divisional opponents, isn't present. Does it mean their team is better without Jamar? Hell no, but the quote isn't without a bit of merit.
- This defense started as fast as our opponents would allow. It is no small coincidence when you look at games lost and points surrendered, then compare that with facing offenses who don't field a bottom 10 IOL and/or a backup QB. They fought hard yesterday and it's a testament to them not quitting, but they still are what they are.
Repeat after me…
Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy. Joe Woods is not the guy.
It was crazy watching the Niners front the other day. In those same over calls that the Browns show, San Fran executed and manhandled the Seahawks line end to end. Design is one thing, but no design trumps just having better talent across the board.
-
Wtf kevin does this mean??
Well, it means that for Jacoby the playbook is smaller. There are fewer things that he does well. For Watson, the playbook is bigger. There's a lot more plays to choose from.
-
Wtf kevin does this mean??
Let me try to tackle this one while I look over some of the spreads for the upcoming games.
Under Stef, from Minnesota to CLE, he is a coach versed deeply in the intricacies and philosophy of the outside zone running game. The largest little caveat to that, is focusing on a running game that begins from under center. With the advent of the RPO and pre-snap sight adjustments in the NFL, I mentioned Watson's ability brings another foundational type piece that this team AND coaching staff is going to take finding their call percentage and tendency with - the split zone RPO game from the gun. But those designs are almost exclusively based on the vertical zone running game.
So it's taking a coach, who has tailored his offense and personnel one way, and giving him a QB who has a great amount of production in a young and short career, but with the strongest part of his game being a bit different than what Stef has done for so long. It's a bit of a 'learning process', for lack of a better phrase, for both of them.
Stef has already incorporated those types of calls, we saw it several times last night with Deshaun on the read and I think one RPO? But also this means Deshaun is going to have to, for his benefit and the benefit of the offense as a whole whether he realizes it or not, learn how to efficiently work from under center in a wide zone running scheme and the natural passing designs built off of that foundation.
So we have a coaching staff who has been forced to call and design games a certain way the last 2 & 1/2 years, but now have a weapon where they won't have to be as limited or 'structured' in their vertical passing game, with more time for a proper development and deployment.
Stef isn't the most articulate, and there's a lot to unpack from that type of quote. So don't completely take it at face value.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
