Skip to content

So, how does my New Year start off?

The Browns Board
37 11 1.5k
  • I'm still wondering how Harrison got a concussion yet did not get hit in the neck or head area according to some ref watching remotely. 

    Apparently Big Ten teams yesterday couldn't buy a targeting call, because TTUN's last play was one too. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I thought TTUN was going to roll TCU.

    I think TCU has a legitimate shot at shocking the world next Monday night. 

    Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

    I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

    @flugel said:

    Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

    I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

  • @flugel said:

    Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

    I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    Agreed.  It's rewarding kids for quitting early on a commitment for greener pastures if there's any challenges/inconveniences.  The NFL is going to be a culture shock for some of these kids especially if they're drafted early by a horrible franchise.   

  • @flugel said:

    Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

    I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    They need to call it "semi-pro" football instead of NCAA.

    While I do watch it, I always thought college football is kind of like Olympic figure skating. Too many teams and nearly impossible to rank them....it's too subjective. Always has been.

  • georgia overturned calls.jpg

  • @flugel said:

    Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

    I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    Have you noticed the Harbaugh brothers have a little pipe line going from 1 program to another?  One of the defensive coaches from TTUN's 2021 staff went back to the Ratbirds coaching staff.  But not to worry, they just hired another from the Ratbirds' staff for the 2022 who I think got some Coach of the Year honor.  Some may wonder - what's the problem with that?  Well, Baltimore drafted an injured OLB/edge rusher David Ojabo from Michigan in round 2 at #45 overall this year.  In 2021, they drafted FB/TE Ben Mason that must have been a pain in the dumpster for Michigan defensive coaches in practice.

    With all the strict rules the NCAA used to have, if Barry Switzer ever did something like the Harbaughs are doing - they would have easily found something to punish here.  I used to get a kick out of what Tom Osborne's Nebraska program consistently got away with all the while the NCAA thought the only guy they needed to investigate in that conference was Barry Switzer.  See what happens when a clean cut looking guy shakes all the right hands and kisses all the right babies? 

  • It's weird.

    I actually have no problem with John Harbaugh, in fact I wanted the Browns to hire him as HC when it looked like he was on the verge of getting let go in Baltimore four or five years ago. Then Lamar came in and started winning and winning and winning. 

    Jim Harbaugh, on the other hand, can choke on a bag of dicks. 

  • ohio state vs ttun pence courage.jpg

  • Going into the Game Georgia played one Top 25 defense…and they struggled in that game.  We don’t have an Ohio St secondary and honestly we haven’t developed DEs although we’ve recruited well there (where was Jack Sawyer and JTT last night).   We’ve got a no holds bar Big12 defensive coordinator that is used to these 42-41 games. 
     

    We played 6 Top 25 defenses…so it wasn’t like we didn’t see quality schemes and personnel throughout the year.  But the main difference last night- Ryan Day didn’t try to be old school Ohio State and run the ball down the defenses throat.  Weve got a lot of old school fans that want the glory days where we ran Eddie and Zeke down everyone’s throat-  but that’s not who we are. We had excellent pass blocking as we had most of the year and we were proficient throwing the ball.  That’s what we’ve recruited and that’s who we are and he finally understood that his playmakers are his pocket passing QB and 5 star WRs and two excellent pass blocking bookend tackles.  The offense was National Championship worthy last night.  Rose Bowl last year same thing and we ran the ball 21 times for 110 yards.  We have to zing around the yard more with all these outside weapons. 
     

    The run on first down with two timeouts and 30 seconds left was a stupid call.

    The targeting reversal cost us 4 points.

    The misspot and reversal on Bowers 4th down lounge was likely a bad call that cost us another 7.

    Georgia was lucky to win and quite honestly this game was easily their toughest challenge and I look for them to come out flat and I expect to TCU to not only cover the 13 points but win the game too.

  • @flugel said:

    Me too!  That was an awesome game.  It was nice to watch a defense score 2 TDs against TTUN. It was almost like they told TTUN an adorable bedtime story before tucking them in for a long Winter's nap.

    I would LOVE to see TCU win the championship.  

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 
     

    But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

  • buckeyes lost (i saw everyone  bitching about the ball drop,fuck em) a furnace went out in a rental and they are bitching because i cant get anyone out till tuesday,got my ass kicked in fantasy football,as they say it all happens in three's 

    Browns won so hell ya all is good

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It would be great for college football.

    Because I do not like the direction it is going. Player's transferring all willy nilly, NILs and super conferences is going to cause college football to look drastically different sooner than later. 

    I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 
     

    But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 
     

    But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

    Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

    Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

    While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 
     

    But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

    Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

    Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

    While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

    Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

    While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

    The NCAA was definitely making out for years, there's no debate for that.

    But maybe because I'm from a background that is more blue-collar where college is not a given, but a free college education in an era of "paying on school loans until you retire" doesn't exactly ring the slavery bell to me. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I hated that the Universities were making a ton of money off these kids and nothing went to them. 
     

    But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  They need better guard rails/limits/rules on transfers and NIL money.  

    Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

    Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

    While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

    Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

    While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

    Im somewhere in the middle so I don’t think we disagree too much. The NIL deals are a little too much and especially during the time they are student athletes.  Can they get the benefit of some of these big NIL deals post college?  Money or benefits in a trust.  It is weird I know because these are essentially young adults. 
     

    the “modern slavery” you speak of is the fact that they have to stay three years in the NCAA.  I’ve seen two OSU guys back to back years that were NFL ready prior to three years.  JSN was the best OSU WR in 2021 a team that had two first round WRs tearing up the League this year.  Marvin Harrison was the best player on the field in Atlanta Saturday night.  Why in the World do we require that he can’t put his name in the draft this year.  He shouldn’t make NIL money this summer he should be cashing a rookie bonus.  
     

    I do have a slight problem giving an unproven HS Sr. Money on potential.  We Need a “earn as you go” system 

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Have to disagree here. The rule that do not allow these kids to make money while playing in the NCAA is utterly reprehensible. It is modern slavery, plain and simple. 

    Unlike other sports (e.g. Lonzo Ball) there is no other route to the NFL. Heck, if they wanted to play Football anywhere else in the world, they would have to learn a completely different sport (imagine laughter in British aristocrat accent for effect).

    While I value loyalty and frown upon a lack thereof, it is a mosquito bite compared to the systematic exploitation of young people in the NCAA.

    The NCAA was definitely making out for years, there's no debate for that.

    But maybe because I'm from a background that is more blue-collar where college is not a given, but a free college education in an era of "paying on school loans until you retire" doesn't exactly ring the slavery bell to me. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    The NCAA was definitely making out for years, there's no debate for that.

    But maybe because I'm from a background that is more blue-collar where college is not a given, but a free college education in an era of "paying on school loans until you retire" doesn't exactly ring the slavery bell to me. 

    Your response seems to present a false dichotomy. I never said that student athletes should get anything other than a scholarship from schools. And many will settle for just that, irrespective of the rules.  

    The point is that there are rules preventing players to earn income from other sources. Star athletes are missing out on hundreds of thousands, if not millions in sponsorship deals, endorsements and the like. If that is their market value, it is simply wrong to ban them from earning that. And what if the guy playing Center for the San Francisco City College Gaylords, made some money from the local burger or pizza joint to supplement his scholarship? 

    What's worse: lifting this ban would hardly be detrimental to the schools. Sure, if Jordan brand can sponsor individual athletes, they might have a little less to spend on UNC or TTUN. In kind, they might have a little less to spend on gold-clad locker rooms we see at all the big schools. Does your blue collar background feel those are needed? Mine doesn't. 

    texas-am-university-locker.gif

  • @sdbacker80indeed, we are in agreement after all. 

  • Introducing the 2023 Ohio State Buckeyes Recruiting Class:

    ohio state slaves .jpeg

  • Introducing the 2023 Ohio State Buckeyes Recruiting Class:

    ohio state slaves .jpeg

    @dutch-oven said:

    Introducing the 2023 Ohio State Buckeyes Recruiting Class:

    ohio state slaves .jpeg

    Can they stop the run?

  • I’m really tired of the talking head narrative that Ohio State played a perfect game and still came up short.  

  • I’m really tired of the talking head narrative that Ohio State played a perfect game and still came up short.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m really tired of the talking head narrative that Ohio State played a perfect game and still came up short.  

    Considering they didn't have their top 2 WRs, TEs and RBs, I say that isn't that far-fetched, at least offensively. As disgusted as I was with Ohio State after the TTUN game, I was proud of them for how they played Georgia. 

    Defensively? That's a different story. I like JTT, but he's not the Bosa brothers or Chase Young, yet. 

    And what happend to Ohio State and the corner back position?