Woods & Watson
-
It’s time for the Browns to move on from defensive tackle Jordan Elliott
JACOB ROACHFri, Feb 10, 2023, 10:45 AM EST1 min readThe Cleveland Browns selected defensive tackle Jordan Elliott in the third round pick number 88 in the 2020 NFL draft. Touted as a pass-rushing player with good athleticism coming out of Missouri three seasons later he only has 2.5 career sacks. He lacks a true pass-rush plan and his hand placement and technique just aren’t good enough to win consistently at the NFL level.Elliott is a massive liability in run defense and PFF gave him an abysmal 33-run defense grade in 352 run defense snaps this past season. The worst part is that he has been unable to show much improvement overall three years into the league. This is a total miss from the front office who needs to admit its mistake and move on this offseason.
-
It’s time for the Browns to move on from defensive tackle Jordan Elliott
JACOB ROACHFri, Feb 10, 2023, 10:45 AM EST1 min readThe Cleveland Browns selected defensive tackle Jordan Elliott in the third round pick number 88 in the 2020 NFL draft. Touted as a pass-rushing player with good athleticism coming out of Missouri three seasons later he only has 2.5 career sacks. He lacks a true pass-rush plan and his hand placement and technique just aren’t good enough to win consistently at the NFL level.Elliott is a massive liability in run defense and PFF gave him an abysmal 33-run defense grade in 352 run defense snaps this past season. The worst part is that he has been unable to show much improvement overall three years into the league. This is a total miss from the front office who needs to admit its mistake and move on this offseason.
It’s time for the Browns to move on from defensive tackle Jordan Elliott
JACOB ROACHFri, Feb 10, 2023, 10:45 AM EST1 min readThe Cleveland Browns selected defensive tackle Jordan Elliott in the third round pick number 88 in the 2020 NFL draft. Touted as a pass-rushing player with good athleticism coming out of Missouri three seasons later he only has 2.5 career sacks. He lacks a true pass-rush plan and his hand placement and technique just aren’t good enough to win consistently at the NFL level.Elliott is a massive liability in run defense and PFF gave him an abysmal 33-run defense grade in 352 run defense snaps this past season. The worst part is that he has been unable to show much improvement overall three years into the league. This is a total miss from the front office who needs to admit its mistake and move on this offseason.
Thanks for sharing the article! The sad thing is most of us already knew this before last offseason began. Then when they looked to free agency; they found a guy (Tavon Bryan) that was a major 1st round disappointment in Jax for 3 years. When it comes the Defensive Line - it doesn't look like the FO has a clue about their importance at all. Berry didn't even draft Myles Garrett - so who has he drafted? The old, we have to wait 3 years to judge his draft choices will continue to save his fanny.
Equally disturbing, they haven't been all that wonderful drafting Offensive Linemen either. The ONLY starter this FO has drafted for the Offensive Line is Jedrick Wills; which looks way more Summer School than Honor Roll right now. Bitonio and Teller were already here before Berry was rehired. At some point this FO has to compete better in the draft if they want a competitive team with a healthy salary cap. While I thought the Jack Conklin signing via FA was a great idea, it feels like he's been injured all but the year the Browns went to the playoffs. That said, they just extended his contract. This would be fine if he didn't have such bad luck with injuries from wear and tear at this stage of his career.
The organization just did a major smoke and mirrors dance handing out promotions and changing positions/titles for employees in their scouting dept. I wish I could say that inspired my confidence in them; but the nucleus of players we're counting on like Chubb, Garrett, Ward, Bitonio and Teller were already here before Berry was rehired. Someone told me Berry's mother said he's been studying the NFL salary cap since he was in junior high school. I also know he went to Harvard and excelled in football there as a Defensive Back. Furthermore, he came back to this team after working for the Executive VP/General Manager (Howie Roseman) of the Super Bowl Champions in Philly. I WANT Berry to succeed; but there's important parts of this team he hasn't been improving through the draft. Just like when I played football in the 70s and very early 80s, I focus more on what needs to be improved. If you don't do this you're average at best instead of becoming a 1st Team All County East Selection at Offensive Guard. Did I really just type that? What a BASTARD!!!!!!!!!! Bigger point here is that I didn't possess the athletic God Given's to give me an ego satisfied with what's in the rear view mirror. It was where can I focus my insatiable passion to feel the reward of my effort and get to where I want to be? Another fun part was there were always new things to learn regardless of experience volume.
-
I agree that the FO needs some new eyes and possibly an adjustment to their analytics formula when it comes to DT.
My hope is Schwartz can be those eyes and helps in that regard.
It's obvious that Aaron Donald is the mold analytics sees DT's. The problem is guys like Donald only come around every 10 years or so. Fast and quick is great. I am just not sure they know how to measure the "mean son of a bitch" in a player. I want them to measure that.
Flugs, I know you did live in Nashville, if you still don't. You were around in the Haynesworth days. Living in Tennessee I sort of follow the Titans to a degree. I didn't condone when Big Albert was stomping on that players head, but I have to admit I kind of liked it.
-
I agree that the FO needs some new eyes and possibly an adjustment to their analytics formula when it comes to DT.
My hope is Schwartz can be those eyes and helps in that regard.
It's obvious that Aaron Donald is the mold analytics sees DT's. The problem is guys like Donald only come around every 10 years or so. Fast and quick is great. I am just not sure they know how to measure the "mean son of a bitch" in a player. I want them to measure that.
Flugs, I know you did live in Nashville, if you still don't. You were around in the Haynesworth days. Living in Tennessee I sort of follow the Titans to a degree. I didn't condone when Big Albert was stomping on that players head, but I have to admit I kind of liked it.
Flugs, I know you did live in Nashville, if you still don't. You were around in the Haynesworth days. Living in Tennessee I sort of follow the Titans to a degree. I didn't condone when Big Albert was stomping on that players head, but I have to admit I kind of liked it.
Classic stuff! It reminded me of Turkey Jones reminding the Steelers of what that cheap shot out of bounds on the 175 pound Brian Sipe from Jack Lambert could lead to in the rematch. Sometimes you need a goon/intimidating force on the field to remind your opponent they better play by the rules or else... I'm thinking something must have happened earlier in that game that triggered the reaction from Haynesworth. I do agree he took it a little too far.
-
Flugs, I know you did live in Nashville, if you still don't. You were around in the Haynesworth days. Living in Tennessee I sort of follow the Titans to a degree. I didn't condone when Big Albert was stomping on that players head, but I have to admit I kind of liked it.
Classic stuff! It reminded me of Turkey Jones reminding the Steelers of what that cheap shot out of bounds on the 175 pound Brian Sipe from Jack Lambert could lead to in the rematch. Sometimes you need a goon/intimidating force on the field to remind your opponent they better play by the rules or else... I'm thinking something must have happened earlier in that game that triggered the reaction from Haynesworth. I do agree he took it a little too far.
Classic stuff! It reminded me of Turkey Jones reminding the Steelers of what that cheap shot out of bounds on the 175 pound Brian Sipe from Jack Lambert could lead to in the rematch. Sometimes you need a goon/intimidating force on the field to remind your opponent they better play by the rules or else... I'm thinking something must have happened earlier in that game that triggered the reaction from Haynesworth. I do agree he took it a little too far.
Oh yes ! Classic stuff.
-
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
-
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
Salary caps says hi. If the Browns were to sign D-Hop, we might score 40 points each game, and still get beat by 10 or more. Leaves no room to fix the glaring holes in the D.
Having little room to maneuver under the cap, Browns need value for money. Sing all the picks, and some Affordable FAs who bring something to the table. Now is not the time for shiny new toys.
-
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
Salary caps says hi. If the Browns were to sign D-Hop, we might score 40 points each game, and still get beat by 10 or more. Leaves no room to fix the glaring holes in the D.
Having little room to maneuver under the cap, Browns need value for money. Sing all the picks, and some Affordable FAs who bring something to the table. Now is not the time for shiny new toys.
Salary caps says hi. If the Browns were to sign D-Hop, we might score 40 points each game, and still get beat by 10 or more. Leaves no room to fix the glaring holes in the D.
Having little room to maneuver under the cap, Browns need value for money. Sing all the picks, and some Affordable FAs who bring something to the table. Now is not the time for shiny new toys.
Great point KD!
If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here. Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that). Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.
-
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.
-
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.
If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.
While I like the idea of getting him here... I think fixing the Defense is paramount... I still want to see a healthy Jakeem Grant in this offense and see how much David Bell and Michael Wood develop. That would go a long way in helping out the O... But so far.. I'm not one bit thrilled with Watson... He looks whoefully pedestrian... And I don't want to hear he's been sitting on his ass for 2-3 years whatev's... If your good.. Your good and you shouldn't need 2 years to get your shit together.. There have been times I've taken months away from playing guitar to come back with fresh ideas.. it only takes me a couple days to get my groove and my chops back... The excuses are lame... I want to focus on 2 things in this draft/FA period.. OL and DL and maybe LB'er...
-
If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.
While I like the idea of getting him here... I think fixing the Defense is paramount... I still want to see a healthy Jakeem Grant in this offense and see how much David Bell and Michael Wood develop. That would go a long way in helping out the O... But so far.. I'm not one bit thrilled with Watson... He looks whoefully pedestrian... And I don't want to hear he's been sitting on his ass for 2-3 years whatev's... If your good.. Your good and you shouldn't need 2 years to get your shit together.. There have been times I've taken months away from playing guitar to come back with fresh ideas.. it only takes me a couple days to get my groove and my chops back... The excuses are lame... I want to focus on 2 things in this draft/FA period.. OL and DL and maybe LB'er...
-
-
-
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.
As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.
If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.
-
-
Salary caps says hi. If the Browns were to sign D-Hop, we might score 40 points each game, and still get beat by 10 or more. Leaves no room to fix the glaring holes in the D.
Having little room to maneuver under the cap, Browns need value for money. Sing all the picks, and some Affordable FAs who bring something to the table. Now is not the time for shiny new toys.
Great point KD!
If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here. Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that). Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.
Great point KD!
If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here. Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that). Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.
While I would also like to see even better results in the draft, it is not all doom and gloom.
Alex Wright could be ready to step up. Especially if we fix the IDL, you do not need a top 10 Edge opposite Myles. There is value in 'good enough.' Adding a veteran for the rotation could be good. Would Larry-O be interested in coming back?
Perrion Winfrey showed flashes of huge upside last season. Very interested to see how he develops. But we need to add two new pieces, I think. As I mentioned in the draft topic, the DT FA is very tight. Taven Bryan is projected to command double what he makes now, and he is not exactly a world beater. Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be the only upgrade we could possibly afford. We are going to have to use one of our higher picks here. Maybe a later round development player as well.
Then we have Emerson and Bell. We certainly have some promising picks from recent years to work with.
-
So far he's made a salary of 1.035 million (aside from signing bonus). I doubt there will be any restructuring anytime soon.
I was responding to this headline below looking like Watson wanted to see if there was a possibility Hopkins could join him in Cleveland. Understanding, Cleveland is somewhere in the bottom quarter of teams with available cap room - Watson gives the Browns the largest chunk of salary to tweak if Hopkins is a big enough wish of his. Watson will be making $54,993,000 per year in 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026. I posted some of his salary info under the headline below.
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand
- 2023 Salary Cap Charge: $54,993,000 (21.73% of cap)
- 2023 Cash Payout: $46,000,000 (19.97% of spending)
- 2023 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.84
- Contract Value: $230,000,000 ($46,000,000 APY)
- Fully Guaranteed Money: $230,000,000
- Contract Ranking: 4/100 at QB
-
Great point KD!
If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here. Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that). Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.
While I would also like to see even better results in the draft, it is not all doom and gloom.
Alex Wright could be ready to step up. Especially if we fix the IDL, you do not need a top 10 Edge opposite Myles. There is value in 'good enough.' Adding a veteran for the rotation could be good. Would Larry-O be interested in coming back?
Perrion Winfrey showed flashes of huge upside last season. Very interested to see how he develops. But we need to add two new pieces, I think. As I mentioned in the draft topic, the DT FA is very tight. Taven Bryan is projected to command double what he makes now, and he is not exactly a world beater. Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be the only upgrade we could possibly afford. We are going to have to use one of our higher picks here. Maybe a later round development player as well.
Then we have Emerson and Bell. We certainly have some promising picks from recent years to work with.
While I would also like to see even better results in the draft, it is not all doom and gloom.
Alex Wright could be ready to step up. Especially if we fix the IDL, you do not need a top 10 Edge opposite Myles. There is value in 'good enough.' Adding a veteran for the rotation could be good. Would Larry-O be interested in coming back?
Perrion Winfrey showed flashes of huge upside last season. Very interested to see how he develops. But we need to add two new pieces, I think. As I mentioned in the draft topic, the DT FA is very tight. Taven Bryan is projected to command double what he makes now, and he is not exactly a world beater. Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be the only upgrade we could possibly afford. We are going to have to use one of our higher picks here. Maybe a later round development player as well.
Then we have Emerson and Bell. We certainly have some promising picks from recent years to work with.
I will gladly join you in this line of thinking KD if the FO finally upgrades the IDL in their 4th opportunity to do so. Right now we're very stuck on pause with "if" = "still has not."
-
Great point KD!
If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here. Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that). Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.
While I would also like to see even better results in the draft, it is not all doom and gloom.
Alex Wright could be ready to step up. Especially if we fix the IDL, you do not need a top 10 Edge opposite Myles. There is value in 'good enough.' Adding a veteran for the rotation could be good. Would Larry-O be interested in coming back?
Perrion Winfrey showed flashes of huge upside last season. Very interested to see how he develops. But we need to add two new pieces, I think. As I mentioned in the draft topic, the DT FA is very tight. Taven Bryan is projected to command double what he makes now, and he is not exactly a world beater. Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be the only upgrade we could possibly afford. We are going to have to use one of our higher picks here. Maybe a later round development player as well.
Then we have Emerson and Bell. We certainly have some promising picks from recent years to work with.
Alex Wright could be ready to step up.
Isiah Thomas would be a better candidate.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
