Skip to content

Great Master Plan, "Mangenius"

The Browns Board
33 23 4.9k
  • @dencyguy said:

    Since we're quoting from other threads, I'll throw one of my old questions on here:

    Will Quinn be completely up to speed in week two, after having come in and out every week, working 50/50 with the first team in practice, and not taking a snap in the last game? If not, then what is gained? Even if the Vikings had to completely scrap their defensive gameplan--and they clearly don't--which is the greater disadvantage, having to adjust some of your coverage schemes, or having about a week's worth of practice as the uncontested starter at the most important position on the team?

    Dennis

    Professional athletes are paid a lot of money. They better be prepared to play at anytime. I think the only bad thing about not divulging who would be the starting QB is fan reaction. The fans pay a lot of money to go to games and buy the outrageously priced hot dogs, soda and beer. Football is entertainment. The players are entertainers. You have to please the fan base. Winning will obviously please us. Lets hope Mangini can win. If not, he is in for a rough tour here.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Professional athletes are paid a lot of money. They better be prepared to play at anytime.

    I understand what you're saying, and kind of agree, but that really isn't a valid argument. I'd counter by saying similarly-paid athletes who get MORE prep time will be better prepared than ones splitting snaps for no good reason.

  • @ golfer...you opened the can............Whos tanking the snaps?

  • @lemosley01 said:

    Ballpeen,

    After preseason game 3, Mangini said they knew who the starter was and that it was settled. If it hadn't been settled, do you think both of these guys would have sat out for game 4?

    Choco, we're all so glad you have such good commentary to add to the thread. Since you show up in every thread calling the poster a 'whiny bitch' while you act like a whiny bitch by complaining about them starting a new thread...maybe you should take your own advice and STFU.

    I do agree you have a bit of a point, but the 4th game is the game you play the bubble guys. Giving each of Quinn and Anderson a series each wouldn't have helped them all that much.

    I really don't think game 4 would have made any difference in how well Brady...or Derick if he had won, would play this season.

    One more series isn't going to help in knowing the playbook or getting the timing down if it isn't already there.

    JMO

    @ballpeen said:

    I do agree you have a bit of a point, but the 4th game is the game you play the bubble guys. Giving each of Quinn and Anderson a series each wouldn't have helped them all that much.

    I really don't think game 4 would have made any difference in how well Brady...or Derick if he had won, would play this season.

    One more series isn't going to help in knowing the playbook or getting the timing down if it isn't already there.

    JMO

    and if someone got hurt, everyone one on here would have been calling Mangini an asshole..................no win situation, but, I ask..................................how many friggin reps does a guy need to be ready. Quinn has been taking reps since May with the first team. You really think 10 more reps would have really meant anything or helped anybody? But, it sure could of gotten someone nicked up enough to miss the forst game or some practice leading up to it.

    By the way, Quinn is taking over 80% of the snaps with the 1s this week and everybody forgot to ask and maybe prepare for who the center will be, who the #2 WR will be, will they play 1, 2 or 3 TEs and if Cribbs will take any direct snaps in the WildDawg offense.

  • I have to side with the pro-Mangini crew on this one.

    There was NO advantage to the Browns in announcing a starter publicly. The team already has a good idea about how things are going and they are far more in the know than we are so there was nothing lost on them by letting the competition go on. They knew everything they needed to know to do their jobs; what does a PUBLIC announcement do for them? Nothing.

    On the other hand, as JJ has expertly argued, the Vikings did not KNOW who was playing QB. They could GUESS, just like we have been, but the only way they'd KNOW is if it was announced.

    So, they were forced to spend SOME time and energy answering what was still an open question. How much time or energy? Does it matter?

    Who knows for sure? All we know is that Mangini was able to take some of their prep time away from them while not sacrificing any of his team's.

    No downside there, to me.

  • @lemosley01 said:

    Ballpeen,

    After preseason game 3, Mangini said they knew who the starter was and that it was settled. If it hadn't been settled, do you think both of these guys would have sat out for game 4?

    Choco, we're all so glad you have such good commentary to add to the thread. Since you show up in every thread calling the poster a 'whiny bitch' while you act like a whiny bitch by complaining about them starting a new thread...maybe you should take your own advice and STFU.

    I do agree you have a bit of a point, but the 4th game is the game you play the bubble guys. Giving each of Quinn and Anderson a series each wouldn't have helped them all that much.

    I really don't think game 4 would have made any difference in how well Brady...or Derick if he had won, would play this season.

    One more series isn't going to help in knowing the playbook or getting the timing down if it isn't already there.

    JMO

    @ballpeen said:

    Giving each of Quinn and Anderson a series each wouldn't have helped them all that much.

    One more series isn't going to help in knowing the playbook or getting the timing down if it isn't already there.

    Any snaps are valuable, I think. Did they need to play? Maybe not, but I certainly would have liked the starter to get a series, especially since Quinn is inexperienced.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Dude, JJ, you're my hero. If I could get you, Alo, Heck, and SOBO to post every morning, I'd stop reading the paper. No disrespect to some other fantastic posters here (and there are several).

    What the hell, Heck? Come back!

    Gotta put YtwonBrownsBacker in that group as well.

  • They're talking about BQ being the starting QB for us on fcuking U.S Open coverage.

    You sacrificed 1st team reps for NOTHING other than your ego.

    It also appears that you don't have as much control over your players as you think you do.

    Your "competitive advantage" (if you ever even had one, as the entire league had Quinn pegged as the starter last week) just got flushed.

    So, what exactly was it again that you were attempting to accomplish with your short bus car show?

    @timugen said:

    They're talking about BQ being the starting QB for us on fcuking U.S Open coverage.

    You sacrificed 1st team reps for NOTHING other than your ego.

    It also appears that you don't have as much control over your players as you think you do.

    Your "competitive advantage" (if you ever even had one, as the entire league had Quinn pegged as the starter last week) just got flushed.

    So, what exactly was it again that you were attempting to accomplish with your short bus car show?

    If you think Mangini banked on keeping this quiet until Sunday, you're mistaken. Also, the QB wasn't known heading into the season, thus he put the job up for grabs. You can criticize him for having the competition, but as for how he conducted it and when he made his decision, I cannot find fault.

    If he was looking to upgrade the value of DA this season, when an unknown injury could make DA front page in a matter of seconds, I think he did a stellar job. I think Mangini/Kokinis played this perfectly. And if they want to/have to keep DA this season, they have seen him operate enough of the playbook to know his strengths because they've actually seen him operate THEIR plays.

    Could Quinn have used more snaps this season? Sure in a perfect world. Did the QB competition sacrifice needed first team reps? Absolutely. BUT, walking into the head coaching job this year and just naming a QB without evaluating them both fairly would have done much more damage to this team and Mangini's reputation.

    If there was a 'competetive advantage' to be had out of all this, Mangini milked it for all it is worth. I respect him for that, and his competetive nature. I like it a lot.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Dude, JJ, you're my hero. If I could get you, Alo, Heck, and SOBO to post every morning, I'd stop reading the paper. No disrespect to some other fantastic posters here (and there are several).

    What the hell, Heck? Come back!

    Gotta put YtwonBrownsBacker in that group as well.

    @vegasdogg said:

    Gotta put YtwonBrownsBacker in that group as well.

    Ditto! Thanks for the reminder Vegas, I REALLY enjoy reading Y'town's posts.

    There's alot of people I enjoy in here and many are those I don't always agree with. I hate to start using names because doing so excludes people I wouldn't mean to exclude.

    If I ever reply to people - arguing or not, it's because I like to extend a specific sports conversation with them. More specifically, I just found their contribution interesting. That's my way of saying thank you. If we all just came here to agree and click thanks - conversations would end pretty quickly. Maybe sometimes I'll challenge something with an opinion that doesn't mount a bandwagon if I LIKE a topic and wish to hear more of the counter and see more of our characters involved.

    Believe it or not, we need the village idiots every bit as much as we need the Jason J's to give a topic legs. Classic example, Loverboy volunteered his ignorance again for us and Jason J had the funniest comeback I've seen in ages. Without Loverboy stepping up I don't get treated to Jason J's character and I lose out. Also, I forget who asked an entire Browns' Board if they would STILL watch the Browns if they were losing - BUT what an invaluable question/post believe it or not. This just in, we've only made the playoffs once in the last 15 years and we've been playing musical QBs ever since. If you can show me another fanbase THIS loyal to their team in the elusive journey to the promise land - I'm all ears.

    - Tom F. (My only advice if fans want to get read - don't START a topic that already has 5 or 6 active subject headings. I don't have as much time these days so I have to prioritize toward appeal while redundancy loses out)

  • For all those worrying about 1st team snaps....tell me one thing:

    Before it was announced, did you know...

    Who the #2 WR is?

    Who the #3 WR is?

    Who the TE is?

    And do we REALLY KNOW...

    Who the starting Center will be?

    Who the starting RB will be?

    That is half of the remaining positions on the offense. And with them rotating from the 1st squad to the 2nd squad the entire preseason....what exactly did the QB miss by not being on the first squad? Reps with players who may or may NOT be starters?

    Please, that argument is just crazy.

    Add in one other little item. Teams bring in QB's for preseason just to keep the arms from getting used up. So, if you think they didn't get enough reps....

  • For all those worrying about 1st team snaps....tell me one thing:

    Before it was announced, did you know...

    Who the #2 WR is?

    Who the #3 WR is?

    Who the TE is?

    And do we REALLY KNOW...

    Who the starting Center will be?

    Who the starting RB will be?

    That is half of the remaining positions on the offense. And with them rotating from the 1st squad to the 2nd squad the entire preseason....what exactly did the QB miss by not being on the first squad? Reps with players who may or may NOT be starters?

    Please, that argument is just crazy.

    Add in one other little item. Teams bring in QB's for preseason just to keep the arms from getting used up. So, if you think they didn't get enough reps....

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    For all those worrying about 1st team snaps....tell me one thing:

    Before it was announced, did you know...

    Who the #2 WR is?

    Who the #3 WR is?

    Who the TE is?

    And do we REALLY KNOW...

    Who the starting Center will be?

    Who the starting RB will be?

    That is half of the remaining positions on the offense. And with them rotating from the 1st squad to the 2nd squad the entire preseason....what exactly did the QB miss by not being on the first squad? Reps with players who may or may NOT be starters?

    Please, that argument is just crazy.

    Add in one other little item. Teams bring in QB's for preseason just to keep the arms from getting used up. So, if you think they didn't get enough reps....

    I think in the case of a guy who is still fresh at starting, every rep he gets is helpful. Of course, you don't want his arm being used up, but there are other aspects of the game that don't involve throwing the football.

    In the case of an entrenched starter, getting extra preseason reps isn't that useful, but I noticed that NE wanted Brady to play to shake the rust off.

    The point is that Mangini does know the starting lineup, and probably has since the end of preseason game 3 - that's the time when you want your starting guys to be getting all of their reps together - ESPECIALLY if you have a number of new guys. Instead, we had to have the appearance of a charade.