Skip to content

Running Backs from NE Ohio

The Browns Board
25 10 1.5k
  • Like I said though not just northeast. Cincy Moler, Columbus DeSales just to name some down there.

  • J JC

    Harry Wilson played for Steubenville Big Red with my dad in the early 60's. I think he played for Nebraska, then moved on to the Eagles in the NFL. I think an injury cut his career short, but I know he played in the NFL...according to my old man.

    @jc said:

    Harry Wilson played for Steubenville Big Red with my dad in the early 60's. I think he played for Nebraska, then moved on to the Eagles in the NFL. I think an injury cut his career short, but I know he played in the NFL...according to my old man.

    OK, it shows that Harry Wilson of Steubenville played in 6 games in 3 years in his career with Philly (it was in '67, '69, and 70). He gained all of 7 career rushing yards, plus another 150 in kick return yardage. Talk about a cup of coffee.

  • would like to see the whole state not just northeast. It blows my mind how athletic this state really is. Some of the best highschool football and wrestling int the country. Right here in our own backyards.

    @skinny said:

    would like to see the whole state not just northeast. It blows my mind how athletic this state really is. Some of the best highschool football and wrestling int the country. Right here in our own backyards.

    I guess that would be fine, but I chose NE Ohio as that is the Browns primary market area. There were certainly a lot of RBs and QBs from other parts of the state. Feel free to list any from your home area.

  • J JC

    Ryan Terry, also from Steubenville (Big Red), played for the Cardinals after Iowa State.

    @jc said:

    Ryan Terry, also from Steubenville (Big Red), played for the Cardinals after Iowa State.

    Ryan Terry is listed as being born in Ft. Bragg N.C. We take your word he went to Steubenville. He is not really listed as a runner. He played 2 years with the Cards. He gained -0- yards rushing, had 1 career catch for 1 yard, but was a Kickoff returner. He had 41 kickoff returns in his career for 892 yards. He also recovered 1 fumble so he was apparently specifically a special teams player.

  • That's an impressivel list.

    I can only think of Charlie Frye.

    Well, he HAD to RUN all the damn time... 😉

  • Ray Williams went to my high school (benedictine) when I was there, he was a sure fit for the NFL, if he didn't get into trouble (a.k.a. murder charge) at the end of his senior year of high school, he currently would be Steve Slaton.

  • J JC

    @skinny said:

    would like to see the whole state not just northeast. It blows my mind how athletic this state really is. Some of the best highschool football and wrestling int the country. Right here in our own backyards.

    As good as football is here in Ohio, we definitely have some of the best wrestlers around. I think in 2007, five of the National Champions in wrestling came from north east Ohio.

    @jc said:

    we definitely have some of the best wrestlers around. I think in 2007, five of the National Champions in wrestling came from north east Ohio.

    Without question. Both PA and OH can safely argue they have the best wrestlers in the country. Out here in Vegas we see some of this influence the last 15-20 years as members of these two states moved here and have shared the wisdom, so to speak. While nowhere near a CA, OH or PA, Las Vegas does have some good wrestlers because of the OH/PA coaching influence.

  • On one of the threads the question of Beanie Wells being perhaps the NFL rookie of the year came up and it brought about a discussion of what other running backs may have come from the Northeast Ohio area. Here are a list of some that I can think of:

    Larry Csonka, Stow

    Marion Motley, Canton McKinley

    Cliff Battles, Akron Kenmore

    the above are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Others:

    Don Nottingham, Ravenna (tough runner, gained 2496 yards with Colts and Dolphins)

    Robert Smith, Euclid (over 6800 NFL yards gained)

    Larry Poole, Akron Garfield (3 years with the Browns)

    Charles Gladman, Akron Garfield (gained 29 yards in NFL career!)

    Lawrence Ricks, Barberton (also gained 29 yards in his NFL career!)

    Raymont Harris, Lorain (over 2500 yards with 4 NFL teams)

    Antonio Pittman, Akron Buchtel (in 3rd year with Rams, gained about 500 career yards)

    Ricky Powers, Akron Buchtel (played 1 year with Browns, gained 51 yards)

    Billy Taylor, Barberton (played in Canadian League, 8th in all time U. of Michigan rushing)

    Tyrell Sutton, Akron Hoban rookie, apparently picked up from Packers by Carolina

    Chris "Beanie" Wells, Akron Garfield, rookie, 1st round pick of Arizona Cardinals.

    Vic Janowicz, Elyria, Heisman Trophy winner, gained only 400 yards in the NFL though

    Jamar Martin, Canton McKinley. Played fullback in NFL for several years, gained few rush yards

    Can you think of anyone else? And why is it that the Akron area has all the quality RBs? And a couple from Lorain Co. Aside from Robert Smith are there any notables from Cuyahoga County? Am I missing someone? (I know that there are quality athletes from other positions from the other, but this deals with just runners)

    @the-gipper said:

    Robert Smith, Euclid (over 6800 NFL yards gained)

    Good list.

    I remember seeing Robert Smith in high school. It was almost comical how good he was. I saw him run for like 150 yards against St Ed's. They were not a slouch team at the time, I think they were top 25 in the state. My friend was linebacker for St. Ed's and I he got beat more then a red headed step child. I still make fun of him for it.

  • Ray Williams went to my high school (benedictine) when I was there, he was a sure fit for the NFL, if he didn't get into trouble (a.k.a. murder charge) at the end of his senior year of high school, he currently would be Steve Slaton.

    @playgroundlegend said:

    Ray Williams went to my high school (benedictine) when I was there, he was a sure fit for the NFL, if he didn't get into trouble (a.k.a. murder charge) at the end of his senior year of high school, he currently would be Steve Slaton.

    I remember him. He was there just before I moved to Vegas. Shame, shame, shame. That kid was shockingly good. And returned kicks and punts.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Robert Smith, Euclid (over 6800 NFL yards gained)

    Good list.

    I remember seeing Robert Smith in high school. It was almost comical how good he was. I saw him run for like 150 yards against St Ed's. They were not a slouch team at the time, I think they were top 25 in the state. My friend was linebacker for St. Ed's and I he got beat more then a red headed step child. I still make fun of him for it.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Good list.

    I remember seeing Robert Smith in high school. It was almost comical how good he was. I saw him run for like 150 yards against St Ed's. They were not a slouch team at the time, I think they were top 25 in the state. My friend was linebacker for St. Ed's and I he got beat more then a red headed step child. I still make fun of him for it.

    LMAO. I played against him my senior year, and I went to make a tackle and whiffed. He had those long strides that would fool you. I was in great position as a safety and he just stopped, and then went right on by me. I had a couple tackles on him and thought he went down failry easy. But man was he good. Tony Fisher followed behind him, and let me tell you he was no slouch either.

  • That's an impressivel list.

    I can only think of Charlie Frye.

    Well, he HAD to RUN all the damn time... 😉

    @calfoxwc said:

    That's an impressivel list.

    I can only think of Charlie Frye.

    Well, he HAD to RUN all the damn time... 😉

    There is another thread on area QBs where Charlie is listed. (sometimes though I am not sure Charlie HAD to run, but chose to because of skittishness.)

  • Sorry, Gip, I was just joking about my inability to remember any other local rb's, that's all. @@

  • I have come across a few other NE Ohio running backs that played in the pros, and there are some big names here:

    Ara Parseghian. Yes, the former coach of Notre Dame. Played for the Browns in '48 and 49. Part of the undefeated team. Went to Akron South High.

    Harry Stuhldreher. More Notre Dame Glory. Was one of the famed Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Played in the 20s for the Brooklyn Lions NFL team. Attended Massillon H.S.

    Tim Spencer. From Martin's Ferry, just north of Steubenville. Played 6 years with the Chargers. Gained 1792 yards. I believe he is currently the running backs coach for The Ohio State University. Of course was an outstanding ball carrier for OSU.

    Dean Sensenbaugher. From Midvale, which is next to Dover/New Philadelphia. Played for the Browns and NY Yanks of the AAFC in '48 and '49. Played for OSU.

    Curiosity: there is currently a receiver with OSU named Dean Sanzenbacher who is from Toledo. Is that not odd? Do you think they could be related despite the variance on the spelling of the last name?

    Eric Wilkerson. Cleveland Central Catholic. Kent State. Played 1 game with the Steelers in 1989.

  • @jc said:

    Ryan Terry, also from Steubenville (Big Red), played for the Cardinals after Iowa State.

    Ryan Terry is listed as being born in Ft. Bragg N.C. We take your word he went to Steubenville. He is not really listed as a runner. He played 2 years with the Cards. He gained -0- yards rushing, had 1 career catch for 1 yard, but was a Kickoff returner. He had 41 kickoff returns in his career for 892 yards. He also recovered 1 fumble so he was apparently specifically a special teams player.

    @the-gipper said:

    Ryan Terry is listed as being born in Ft. Bragg N.C. We take your word he went to Steubenville. He is not really listed as a runner. He played 2 years with the Cards. He gained -0- yards rushing, had 1 career catch for 1 yard, but was a Kickoff returner. He had 41 kickoff returns in his career for 892 yards. He also recovered 1 fumble so he was apparently specifically a special teams player.

    Didn't know that about Terry. My sister and cousin were friends with him and I know he grew up in Steubenville.

    Harry Wilson - not a great career. I just knew what my father told me.