Skip to content

QBs from NE Ohio in NFL

The Browns Board
10 4 1.3k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I listed the running backs that hail from this area, now lets see if we can come up with local people who have played Quarterback in the NFL. And FYI, by NE Ohio I am generally referring to the area that covers from Conneaut in the NE corner down to Steubenville at the SE corner, then west to about Mt. Vernon, then on a line north through Mansfield up to Sandusky. (Ergo, Big Gay Ben need not apply, Findlay is way west of that line. Neither should Brady Quinn, Dublin being southwest of the line) I have not done as much research on this, so you all could help out:

    Len Dawson, Alliance

    to my knowledge he is the only Hall of Fame QB from this area.

    Bernie Kosar, of course, from Boardman

    Two Point Tom Tupa from Brecksville

    Charley Frye, Willard

    Troy Smith, Glenville

    George Izo, Barberton (played with Redskins in 60s, is one of those who holds the 99 yard pass/catch NFL records)

    Todd Blackledge, North Canton

    Elvis Grbac, I believe he played at St. Joseph did he not?

    Cliff Stoudt, Oberlin, played at Y-town St.

    Mark Miller, former Browns backup, from Canton area, not sure which high school

    Let us know if any other NFL QBs came out of this area.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Brian Hoyer went to St. Ignatius. And W. Michigan's Tim Hiller (Orrville) should be in the league next year.

  • Brian Hoyer went to St. Ignatius. And W. Michigan's Tim Hiller (Orrville) should be in the league next year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Aloysius said:

    Brian Hoyer went to St. Ignatius. And W. Michigan's Tim Hiller (Orrville) should be in the league next year.

    Who did/does Hoyer play for?

    And who was the guy from Orrville, who went to Massillon that everyone thought would be a sure fire NFL QB? Zwisler or something?

    And who was the other QB from Ignatius who I believe went to OSU that was supposed to be a sure thing? Joe Pickens?

    Neither of them made it to the pros did they?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Just to give additional detail, Dawson went to Purdue, Kosar to Miami Fla, Tupa and Smith to Ohio St., Miller to Bowling Green, Frye to Akron, Grbac to Michigan, Izo to Notre Dame, Blackledge to Penn St., and Stoudt to YSU.

    I believe Hoyer went to Mich. St., right?

  • Just to give additional detail, Dawson went to Purdue, Kosar to Miami Fla, Tupa and Smith to Ohio St., Miller to Bowling Green, Frye to Akron, Grbac to Michigan, Izo to Notre Dame, Blackledge to Penn St., and Stoudt to YSU.

    I believe Hoyer went to Mich. St., right?

    R roach wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @the-gipper said:

    Just to give additional detail, Dawson went to Purdue, Kosar to Miami Fla, Tupa and Smith to Ohio St., Miller to Bowling Green, Frye to Akron, Grbac to Michigan, Izo to Notre Dame, Blackledge to Penn St., and Stoudt to YSU.

    I believe Hoyer went to Mich. St., right?

    Hoyer graduated with my son from Ignatius and then went to Michigan St. He was a pretty gifted baseball player too.

    Other St. Ignatius QB's that played in the NFL were Dave Raggone (Texans) and Oliver Luck (Oilers).

  • Aloysius said:

    Brian Hoyer went to St. Ignatius. And W. Michigan's Tim Hiller (Orrville) should be in the league next year.

    Who did/does Hoyer play for?

    And who was the guy from Orrville, who went to Massillon that everyone thought would be a sure fire NFL QB? Zwisler or something?

    And who was the other QB from Ignatius who I believe went to OSU that was supposed to be a sure thing? Joe Pickens?

    Neither of them made it to the pros did they?

    R roach wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @the-gipper said:

    Who did/does Hoyer play for?

    And who was the guy from Orrville, who went to Massillon that everyone thought would be a sure fire NFL QB? Zwisler or something?

    And who was the other QB from Ignatius who I believe went to OSU that was supposed to be a sure thing? Joe Pickens?

    Neither of them made it to the pros did they?

    Justin Zwick. He competed and lost the OSU job to Troy Smith (i think).

  • P PBJ wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Brian is dating a cousin of mine. Don't really know her too well, but she's been at every family Christmas that I can remember... I met Brian once, nice guy. He was expecting to be signed to a practice squad, and now he is the backup to Tom Brady! Kind of unreal.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Just to give additional detail, Dawson went to Purdue, Kosar to Miami Fla, Tupa and Smith to Ohio St., Miller to Bowling Green, Frye to Akron, Grbac to Michigan, Izo to Notre Dame, Blackledge to Penn St., and Stoudt to YSU.

    I believe Hoyer went to Mich. St., right?

    Hoyer graduated with my son from Ignatius and then went to Michigan St. He was a pretty gifted baseball player too.

    Other St. Ignatius QB's that played in the NFL were Dave Raggone (Texans) and Oliver Luck (Oilers).

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @roach said:

    Hoyer graduated with my son from Ignatius and then went to Michigan St. He was a pretty gifted baseball player too.

    Other St. Ignatius QB's that played in the NFL were Dave Raggone (Texans) and Oliver Luck (Oilers).

    I remember those names. Did Raggone go to Louisville? College for Luck?

    (And did you disown Joe Pickens?)

  • P PBJ

    Brian is dating a cousin of mine. Don't really know her too well, but she's been at every family Christmas that I can remember... I met Brian once, nice guy. He was expecting to be signed to a practice squad, and now he is the backup to Tom Brady! Kind of unreal.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @pbj said:

    Brian is dating a cousin of mine. Don't really know her too well, but she's been at every family Christmas that I can remember... I met Brian once, nice guy. He was expecting to be signed to a practice squad, and now he is the backup to Tom Brady! Kind of unreal.

    I checked out the Patriots depth chart and there he is listed as the #1 backup to Brady? When Mr. Bundchen's knee takes another whack, Bill Belichick's hopes and dreams will rest on the shoulders of your home boy, eh?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10
    Lest we forget, Hall of Fame Quarterback Benny Friedman is from Cleveland......he was an East Tech grad