Your First Browns Game
-
My first game was Nov 11, 1984
49ers 41 Browns 7
In a matchup of Joe Montana vs Paul MacDonald. It was a total beatdown
Then we went to McDonalds on Triskett, next to the Rapid station. I had the new, back then, Chicken McNuggets and got sick as a dog
-
Schaefer Stadium against the Patriots. Week 1. 1980. We lost pretty bad.
Best game, November 20th, 1983. Win 30-0. Sullivan Stadium. Highlight - Tom Cousineau hits Steve Grogan as he was throwing a flat pass to the RB. Chip Banks intercepts for a 65 yd TD. I was yelling, Run Chippie Run! Grogan limped off with a cracked fibula. Towards the end of the game Stanley Morgan caught a pass over the middle with nobody around him. I'm like, Oh Shit. There goes the shutout. But while running along...with a Brown MANY yards behind and NEVER gonna catch him, Morgan has the ball hit off his knee or thigh pad and fumbles it...our guy recovers to preserve the shut out.
We opened the 2nd half with an onside kick that we recovered....because, obviously, we saw on tape that the Patriots just don't watch to verify that the kicker is actually gonna kick the ball deep.
Funny thing. I later told my barber (hair stylist) of the fumble. He related to me that hair stylists have Mondays off (union) and he occasionally would drive up to the stadium to watch the guys on the field. (they let him sit in the stands back then) He said Mondays are a slow day for the team (as we know) but on this particular Monday Stanley Morgan was catching fade passes in the corner of the end zone. The DB was getting a little frisky trying to knock the ball out as to cause a fumble...so Morgan held the football out vertically, holding if from the top...and the DB whacked the ball several times but could not knock the ball out of Morgan's hand.
Schaefer Stadium against the Patriots. Week 1. 1980. We lost pretty bad.
Best game, November 20th, 1983. Win 30-0. Sullivan Stadium. Highlight - Tom Cousineau hits Steve Grogan as he was throwing a flat pass to the RB. Chip Banks intercepts for a 65 yd TD. I was yelling, Run Chippie Run! Grogan limped off with a cracked fibula. Towards the end of the game Stanley Morgan caught a pass over the middle with nobody around him. I'm like, Oh Shit. There goes the shutout. But while running along...with a Brown MANY yards behind and NEVER gonna catch him, Morgan has the ball hit off his knee or thigh pad and fumbles it...our guy recovers to preserve the shut out.
We opened the 2nd half with an onside kick that we recovered....because, obviously, we saw on tape that the Patriots just don't watch to verify that the kicker is actually gonna kick the ball deep.
Funny thing. I later told my barber (hair stylist) of the fumble. He related to me that hair stylists have Mondays off (union) and he occasionally would drive up to the stadium to watch the guys on the field. (they let him sit in the stands back then) He said Mondays are a slow day for the team (as we know) but on this particular Monday Stanley Morgan was catching fade passes in the corner of the end zone. The DB was getting a little frisky trying to knock the ball out as to cause a fumble...so Morgan held the football out vertically, holding if from the top...and the DB whacked the ball several times but could not knock the ball out of Morgan's hand.
I've probably asked you before, but did you ever live in NE Ohio? How did you become a Browns fan if you've lived in the New England area so long?
-
September 10, 1978 ~ Browns vs Bengals
I was 12 and just started watching football the previous year. Going to a game seemed like a really big deal to me. I was with my soon-to-be step-dad... besides a couple of fishing trips, this was one of our first "bonding" experiences.
The game was pretty boring, because the Browns couldn't score. But still, the sights and sounds were awesome to a young kid.
"The Waterbug" (Greg Pruitt) was having a pretty big day; but we stayed in self-destruct mode and were down 10-0 late in the third. First a Cockroft FG going into the 4th. Then... Sipe to Rucker with a couple minutes left in the fourth.
I remember, after our TD, some fool marching up the aisle "I'll bet anybody $10 we lose... Anybody? 10 bucks... we're gonna blow it like we always do... anybody? anybody?" as he glared up and down each aisle. By this time I was blown away by the whole scene. People were getting pretty drunk and crazy. At the beginning of the 3rd some Hell's Angels showed up. There were three that I could see; walking up and down three aisles in a row scanning the crowd -- obviously looking for someone. I was scared lol. I had heard about them in the past; but now I was watching them stare people down, and everyone afraid to look back at them as they walked the aisles.
The game goes to OT and it all seemed rather easy, if not predestined. We win the toss and march straight down the field for a Cockroft FG to win. I remember being very excited that my first game went to OT. Couldn't wait to tell my friends I was there.
When we scored our TD, and then the FG in OT, and the old Muni erupted -- that was the moment I became a Browns fan for life. The passion and exuberance, people turning around with high fives... and how that flowed all the way out through the hollow walkways and parking lot. Excitement still echoing in my ears as we walked out of the stadium and saw the party atmosphere outside. Everybody that followed from our general vicinity was still making fun of the dude that had the nerve to think we would lose lol. "I'll bet you ten bucks we don't see that chump out here".
I'll never forget that day and that game... I'll also never forget walking into the bathroom as a 12 year old and seeing everyone pissing in a trough and some drunk guy pissing in a sink lmao.
That was game 2. We started the season 3-0 before losing to the Steelers 15-9 in OT. I had high hopes. We finished 8-8 (again) and I was well on my way to learning the pain and anguish of being a Browns fan.
September 10, 1978 ~ Browns vs Bengals
I was 12 and just started watching football the previous year. Going to a game seemed like a really big deal to me. I was with my soon-to-be step-dad... besides a couple of fishing trips, this was one of our first "bonding" experiences.
The game was pretty boring, because the Browns couldn't score. But still, the sights and sounds were awesome to a young kid.
"The Waterbug" (Greg Pruitt) was having a pretty big day; but we stayed in self-destruct mode and were down 10-0 late in the third. First a Cockroft FG going into the 4th. Then... Sipe to Rucker with a couple minutes left in the fourth.
I remember, after our TD, some fool marching up the aisle "I'll bet anybody $10 we lose... Anybody? 10 bucks... we're gonna blow it like we always do... anybody? anybody?" as he glared up and down each aisle. By this time I was blown away by the whole scene. People were getting pretty drunk and crazy. At the beginning of the 3rd some Hell's Angels showed up. There were three that I could see; walking up and down three aisles in a row scanning the crowd -- obviously looking for someone. I was scared lol. I had heard about them in the past; but now I was watching them stare people down, and everyone afraid to look back at them as they walked the aisles.
The game goes to OT and it all seemed rather easy, if not predestined. We win the toss and march straight down the field for a Cockroft FG to win. I remember being very excited that my first game went to OT. Couldn't wait to tell my friends I was there.
When we scored our TD, and then the FG in OT, and the old Muni erupted -- that was the moment I became a Browns fan for life. The passion and exuberance, people turning around with high fives... and how that flowed all the way out through the hollow walkways and parking lot. Excitement still echoing in my ears as we walked out of the stadium and saw the party atmosphere outside. Everybody that followed from our general vicinity was still making fun of the dude that had the nerve to think we would lose lol. "I'll bet you ten bucks we don't see that chump out here".
I'll never forget that day and that game... I'll also never forget walking into the bathroom as a 12 year old and seeing everyone pissing in a trough and some drunk guy pissing in a sink lmao.
That was game 2. We started the season 3-0 before losing to the Steelers 15-9 in OT. I had high hopes. We finished 8-8 (again) and I was well on my way to learning the pain and anguish of being a Browns fan.
Oh lord, those Cleveland Stadium bathrooms. Those made me as a kid think "You know, I think I'll just hold it..." Detroit's Tiger Stadium had those troughs too.
Great story FATE.
-
For me, it was November of 1993. I was 15. It was the first home game after cutting Bernie Kosar. The Oilers intercepted Todd Philcox four times, and Gary Brown gashed us for nearly 200 yards. The fans were pretty drunk and very angry for most of the game. There was constant fighting in the old Dawg Pound, that day. Some were Oiler's fans causing trouble, but most of it looked like in-fighting among Browns fans. I'll never forget how everyone started pointing to the fights when the fights broke out. The stadium police had their hands full for that one. Years later, I sat in the Dawg Pound at the new stadium. It was nothing like the Dawg Pound I remembered seeing back in 1993.
For me, it was November of 1993. I was 15. It was the first home game after cutting Bernie Kosar. The Oilers intercepted Todd Philcox four times, and Gary Brown gashed us for nearly 200 yards. The fans were pretty drunk and very angry for most of the game. There was constant fighting in the old Dawg Pound, that day. Some were Oiler's fans causing trouble, but most of it looked like in-fighting among Browns fans. I'll never forget how everyone started pointing to the fights when the fights broke out. The stadium police had their hands full for that one. Years later, I sat in the Dawg Pound at the new stadium. It was nothing like the Dawg Pound I remembered seeing back in 1993.
The first time I sat in the old Dawg Pound was probably about that time too, with some guy from high school's CHURCH YOUTH GROUP. Dog knows I would never have anything to do with anything church-related, but they had an extra Browns ticket (vs the Chargers?) so of course, that was an easy sell.
Even then, the irony of being with a youth group in the Dawg Pound was not lost on me. Pretty much anything went there.
-
-
My first game was Nov 11, 1984
49ers 41 Browns 7
In a matchup of Joe Montana vs Paul MacDonald. It was a total beatdown
Then we went to McDonalds on Triskett, next to the Rapid station. I had the new, back then, Chicken McNuggets and got sick as a dog
My first game was Nov 11, 1984
49ers 41 Browns 7
In a matchup of Joe Montana vs Paul MacDonald. It was a total beatdown
Then we went to McDonalds on Triskett, next to the Rapid station. I had the new, back then, Chicken McNuggets and got sick as a dog
Holy crap B149, anyone would have understood if you stopped being a Browns fan after that first game experience! ?
-
My first game was Nov 11, 1984
49ers 41 Browns 7
In a matchup of Joe Montana vs Paul MacDonald. It was a total beatdown
Then we went to McDonalds on Triskett, next to the Rapid station. I had the new, back then, Chicken McNuggets and got sick as a dog
Holy crap B149, anyone would have understood if you stopped being a Browns fan after that first game experience! ?
Holy crap B149, anyone would have understood if you stopped being a Browns fan after that first game experience! ?
I was a fan before that.
-
Schaefer Stadium against the Patriots. Week 1. 1980. We lost pretty bad.
Best game, November 20th, 1983. Win 30-0. Sullivan Stadium. Highlight - Tom Cousineau hits Steve Grogan as he was throwing a flat pass to the RB. Chip Banks intercepts for a 65 yd TD. I was yelling, Run Chippie Run! Grogan limped off with a cracked fibula. Towards the end of the game Stanley Morgan caught a pass over the middle with nobody around him. I'm like, Oh Shit. There goes the shutout. But while running along...with a Brown MANY yards behind and NEVER gonna catch him, Morgan has the ball hit off his knee or thigh pad and fumbles it...our guy recovers to preserve the shut out.
We opened the 2nd half with an onside kick that we recovered....because, obviously, we saw on tape that the Patriots just don't watch to verify that the kicker is actually gonna kick the ball deep.
Funny thing. I later told my barber (hair stylist) of the fumble. He related to me that hair stylists have Mondays off (union) and he occasionally would drive up to the stadium to watch the guys on the field. (they let him sit in the stands back then) He said Mondays are a slow day for the team (as we know) but on this particular Monday Stanley Morgan was catching fade passes in the corner of the end zone. The DB was getting a little frisky trying to knock the ball out as to cause a fumble...so Morgan held the football out vertically, holding if from the top...and the DB whacked the ball several times but could not knock the ball out of Morgan's hand.
I've probably asked you before, but did you ever live in NE Ohio? How did you become a Browns fan if you've lived in the New England area so long?
I've probably asked you before, but did you ever live in NE Ohio? How did you become a Browns fan if you've lived in the New England area so long?
...because I'm old.
Story: Way back when I was a little boy, the Patriots weren't in the NFL. And they were on an obscure Boston station....in Rhode Island we'd have to have tin foil (aluminum foil) extending the rabbit ear antennas out the window, down the side of your house, up the tree, etc. just to bring in an incredibly 'snowy' picture. That combination made most New Englanders Giants fans. And we got a lot of Giants games televised locally. And Eagles, Redskins, and Browns.
So this little boy in Rhode Island was watching the Browns play the Giants...in black and white. And this guy wearing #32 came on a power sweep. One Giant got to this #32 guy...and he was dragged along for the ride. Another Giant got to this #32 guy...and another Giant...but they couldn't get him down or stopped. So, this group of Giants picked him up and carried him the 2 yards to the sideline. The little boy yelled out, "THAT'S MY FAVORITE PLAYER! AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE TEAM!".
I've said it in other threads, Jim Brown is the reason a little boy in Rhode Island became a lifelong Browns fan. And now, another little piece of that boy is in the ground.
From the year that I was born, to the year I graduated high school, the Browns never had a losing record. Obviously, by now, the fiddler has been paid back in spades.
This Year Please Browns! For Jim! For the Gipper, Stan, Tour...and all of us. Please...
-
What is that, one of two opening week wins for the Browns since returning in '99?
And how old are you tia? I knew you were younger than me, but my first game was 20 years before yours?
Si.
I had turned 15 just a couple months prior to when my dad took the family to that home opener. That weekend was epic, but a foreshadow to how rough the football season was going to be. The Bucks needed a 50 yard bomb from Nuge to beat Marshall at home just the day before.
-
Perfect topic for this time of year! It only makes sense I didn't even see it when I logged on Tuesday morning. Anyway, the very first time my dad took me and my brother to a game in Cleveland was October 10th, 1976. Friends of our family had moved to Cleveland from Fairport, NY (a suburb of Rochester about 65 miles east of Buffalo). They got the tickets but warned us the only tickets available for the Browns-Steelers rivalry was in Standing Room Only, I kid you not. Nothing like the fresh smell of urine trickling out of the bathroom in the old stadium with occasional marijuana aromas. I can still hear my dad telling my older brother "that better not be coming from you" to the reply "CALM DOWN - you're too nervous!"
The trip took about 4.5 hours with about 1 or 2 stops to take a power squirt. Not bad at all when you consider a drive to NYC was at least 6 hours away. Anyway, as we were driving up near the lake Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was on the radio giving us a goose-bumps serenade. As a 12 year old kid, that's a first impression I've never forgotten.
The good stuff just kept on coming from there. As you all probably know - this was the day Turkey Jones sacked Terry Bradshaw with a body slam that would end Bradshaw's season as well as Pittsburgh's chance of winning that game. The Browns had to start a little known backup QB David Mays; because 3 weeks earlier Jack Lambert had a dirty hit out of bounds on the 175lb Brian Sipe. The Browns played extremely well up front on both sides of the ball that day. As good as Pittsburgh's offensive line was at the time - they couldn't block Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson all day. On 1 rare occasion when Pittsburgh gave them the attention they commanded - Turkey Jones easily won his matchup on the edge to give Bradshaw the body slam that still appears in highlights promoting the rivalry today. JMO, that could be wrong, the defense wanted to remind Pittsburgh what dirty pool can look like when it's your turn to see how it feels. The Browns won that game 18-16 and it punctuated a great weekend in Cleveland. The Browns finished that 1976 season 9-5 under Forrest Gregg.
After that year, my dad started to take us to 1 game a year in Cleveland. Before all this, he installed an antenna that got us feeds for games from all over the place long before satellite TV. We saw the Browns play the Saints from a feed out of Ottawa commentated in French. Syracuse showed Cleveland a lot so they often televised them for any easy feed to my dad's setup while Rochester was showing Buffalo. We've also seen them play at Buffalo before and after 1976.
Football and the Browns were a family tradition I wouldn't trade for anything. I lost my dad to his 3rd different bout with cancer and my brother to an accident within 2 years of each other. Today I'm flying solo but feeling very fortunate I have a lot of you guys in here to share what happens with our favorite team from here on out. Keep on positing from the heart and that's all we need in here. Thanks!!!
-
@ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:
Browns versus Eagles, 1961, I think. I was 7, but already crazed for the Browns
it was around Thanksgiving I think. My Dad said Fuck Milt Plum quite a bit, I remember that. Plum was terrible that day.
I think the Browns won 45- 27 or something like that. I vaguely remember two other things, Jim Brown rushed for 4 Tds and had well over 200 yards.
My Dad, a true aficionado, in addition to being a swearing expert, took me to the place where the opposing team excited.
I got to see Sonny Jourgensen, Pete Retslaff and I think Tommy McDonald. I got some autographs which my Dad told me to hang on to.
I didn't give a shit about the fucking Eagles and quickly lost the autographs. I was pissed that I wasn't seeing the Browns players.
My takeaway was that sometimes, in an effort to teach me something, my Dad was a dickhead.
Sounds like My stepfather and your dad would've got along lol...
-
Perfect topic for this time of year! It only makes sense I didn't even see it when I logged on Tuesday morning. Anyway, the very first time my dad took me and my brother to a game in Cleveland was October 10th, 1976. Friends of our family had moved to Cleveland from Fairport, NY (a suburb of Rochester about 65 miles east of Buffalo). They got the tickets but warned us the only tickets available for the Browns-Steelers rivalry was in Standing Room Only, I kid you not. Nothing like the fresh smell of urine trickling out of the bathroom in the old stadium with occasional marijuana aromas. I can still hear my dad telling my older brother "that better not be coming from you" to the reply "CALM DOWN - you're too nervous!"
The trip took about 4.5 hours with about 1 or 2 stops to take a power squirt. Not bad at all when you consider a drive to NYC was at least 6 hours away. Anyway, as we were driving up near the lake Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was on the radio giving us a goose-bumps serenade. As a 12 year old kid, that's a first impression I've never forgotten.
The good stuff just kept on coming from there. As you all probably know - this was the day Turkey Jones sacked Terry Bradshaw with a body slam that would end Bradshaw's season as well as Pittsburgh's chance of winning that game. The Browns had to start a little known backup QB David Mays; because 3 weeks earlier Jack Lambert had a dirty hit out of bounds on the 175lb Brian Sipe. The Browns played extremely well up front on both sides of the ball that day. As good as Pittsburgh's offensive line was at the time - they couldn't block Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson all day. On 1 rare occasion when Pittsburgh gave them the attention they commanded - Turkey Jones easily won his matchup on the edge to give Bradshaw the body slam that still appears in highlights promoting the rivalry today. JMO, that could be wrong, the defense wanted to remind Pittsburgh what dirty pool can look like when it's your turn to see how it feels. The Browns won that game 18-16 and it punctuated a great weekend in Cleveland. The Browns finished that 1976 season 9-5 under Forrest Gregg.
After that year, my dad started to take us to 1 game a year in Cleveland. Before all this, he installed an antenna that got us feeds for games from all over the place long before satellite TV. We saw the Browns play the Saints from a feed out of Ottawa commentated in French. Syracuse showed Cleveland a lot so they often televised them for any easy feed to my dad's setup while Rochester was showing Buffalo. We've also seen them play at Buffalo before and after 1976.
Football and the Browns were a family tradition I wouldn't trade for anything. I lost my dad to his 3rd different bout with cancer and my brother to an accident within 2 years of each other. Today I'm flying solo but feeling very fortunate I have a lot of you guys in here to share what happens with our favorite team from here on out. Keep on positing from the heart and that's all we need in here. Thanks!!!
The trip took about 4.5 hours with about 1 or 2 stops to take a power squirt. Not bad at all when you consider a drive to NYC was at least 6 hours away. Anyway, as we were driving up near the lake Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was on the radio giving us a goose-bumps serenade. As a 12 year old kid, that's a first impression I've never forgotten.
Football and the Browns were a family tradition I wouldn't trade for anything. I lost my dad to his 3rd different bout with cancer and my brother to an accident within 2 years of each other. Today I'm flying solo but feeling very fortunate I have a lot of you guys in here to share what happens with our favorite team from here on out. Keep on positing from the heart and that's all we need in here. Thanks!!!
Some Dutch trivia: I was born the day before the Edmund Fitzgerald sank.
Sports connections are some of my earliest memories of my dad, funny how that sticks with you.
-
@calfoxwc said:
I was young back then - somebody refused the idea that the Browns ever played at the Rubber Bowl, so.... I'm fairly sure I was about 7 yrs old back then:
The stadium also hosted professional football on a number of occasions: the Cleveland Rams of the National Football League (NFL) played two regular-season games at the Rubber Bowl, one in 1941 and one in 1942, and the NFL's Cleveland Browns used the stadium for 19 preseason games between 1950 and 1973.
Interesting link to NFL history at the Rubber Bowl, Mr. "I Never Talk Politics on the Browns Board". ?
-
Oh the Dawg Pound…the fights and the shenanigans.
Jets/Browns 2006. I found out what it was like to wear the other teams colors. This was a W for us…I think we benefited from a missed TD call on an end zone deep TD pass by Pennington. This was right on or before Halloween. The Pound was rowdy -Halloween plus a 4pm game. I took a friend Jets fan he wanted to see the pound. He had his green jacket on there was group one row below us with OSU Jets jersey Mangold, Nugent, and one other. We got hit with candy all game. I had to turn around at one point and say “f-ing relax” and almost started a fight. We had to walk through the Muni lot I told my buddy to turn is jacket inside out so he didn’t get jumped in the lot. Mouthy Jets fans, Halloween, late game…it was a shit show
And the Muni Lot…I’ve seen stuff there I can’t unsee. We can do another post I think on just muni lot stories. One of my favorites (not bizarre but funny- I got a few bizarre stories), my brother and I did a game right before Christmas one year (New Browns era) we were tailgating next to this car load from Canada that brought some homemade whiskey- it was the only Browns game I can’t recall watching- the stuff was powerful. I see a guy that is dressed like Santa - uncanny resemblance to the guy up North. He lights this joint and I offered my brother 20 bucks to go plead with the guy not to smoke, he’s Santa Claus, he’s got to deliver toys next week. Really play it up,,,,”no Santa- you can’t do this” . Bunch of drunk tailgaters follow with more money trying to entice my brother. He had a fist full of cash when all was said and done and played it perfectly did some fake tears. The guy (Santa) really felt bad I think he Thought my brother was off a little until he saw the group six seven cars down all laughing.
-
I've probably asked you before, but did you ever live in NE Ohio? How did you become a Browns fan if you've lived in the New England area so long?
...because I'm old.
Story: Way back when I was a little boy, the Patriots weren't in the NFL. And they were on an obscure Boston station....in Rhode Island we'd have to have tin foil (aluminum foil) extending the rabbit ear antennas out the window, down the side of your house, up the tree, etc. just to bring in an incredibly 'snowy' picture. That combination made most New Englanders Giants fans. And we got a lot of Giants games televised locally. And Eagles, Redskins, and Browns.
So this little boy in Rhode Island was watching the Browns play the Giants...in black and white. And this guy wearing #32 came on a power sweep. One Giant got to this #32 guy...and he was dragged along for the ride. Another Giant got to this #32 guy...and another Giant...but they couldn't get him down or stopped. So, this group of Giants picked him up and carried him the 2 yards to the sideline. The little boy yelled out, "THAT'S MY FAVORITE PLAYER! AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE TEAM!".
I've said it in other threads, Jim Brown is the reason a little boy in Rhode Island became a lifelong Browns fan. And now, another little piece of that boy is in the ground.
From the year that I was born, to the year I graduated high school, the Browns never had a losing record. Obviously, by now, the fiddler has been paid back in spades.
This Year Please Browns! For Jim! For the Gipper, Stan, Tour...and all of us. Please...
...because I'm old.
Story: Way back when I was a little boy, the Patriots weren't in the NFL. And they were on an obscure Boston station....in Rhode Island we'd have to have tin foil (aluminum foil) extending the rabbit ear antennas out the window, down the side of your house, up the tree, etc. just to bring in an incredibly 'snowy' picture. That combination made most New Englanders Giants fans. And we got a lot of Giants games televised locally. And Eagles, Redskins, and Browns.
So this little boy in Rhode Island was watching the Browns play the Giants...in black and white. And this guy wearing #32 came on a power sweep. One Giant got to this #32 guy...and he was dragged along for the ride. Another Giant got to this #32 guy...and another Giant...but they couldn't get him down or stopped. So, this group of Giants picked him up and carried him the 2 yards to the sideline. The little boy yelled out, "THAT'S MY FAVORITE PLAYER! AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE TEAM!".
I've said it in other threads, Jim Brown is the reason a little boy in Rhode Island became a lifelong Browns fan. And now, another little piece of that boy is in the ground.
From the year that I was born, to the year I graduated high school, the Browns never had a losing record. Obviously, by now, the fiddler has been paid back in spades.
This Year Please Browns! For Jim! For the Gipper, Stan, Tour...and all of us. Please...
That reminds me of a story long, long ago. I read Jim Brown's account - he said they were playing the Giants, and Sam Huff ? Tackled him when he was knew to the NFL - and laid on him and said "Jimmy, you stink". The next play, it happened again, and Huff said the same thing again. Jim Brown got pretty mad, and said the next chance, he ran right over Sam Huff and refused to be tackled. I read that so long ago...
-
...because I'm old.
Story: Way back when I was a little boy, the Patriots weren't in the NFL. And they were on an obscure Boston station....in Rhode Island we'd have to have tin foil (aluminum foil) extending the rabbit ear antennas out the window, down the side of your house, up the tree, etc. just to bring in an incredibly 'snowy' picture. That combination made most New Englanders Giants fans. And we got a lot of Giants games televised locally. And Eagles, Redskins, and Browns.
So this little boy in Rhode Island was watching the Browns play the Giants...in black and white. And this guy wearing #32 came on a power sweep. One Giant got to this #32 guy...and he was dragged along for the ride. Another Giant got to this #32 guy...and another Giant...but they couldn't get him down or stopped. So, this group of Giants picked him up and carried him the 2 yards to the sideline. The little boy yelled out, "THAT'S MY FAVORITE PLAYER! AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE TEAM!".
I've said it in other threads, Jim Brown is the reason a little boy in Rhode Island became a lifelong Browns fan. And now, another little piece of that boy is in the ground.
From the year that I was born, to the year I graduated high school, the Browns never had a losing record. Obviously, by now, the fiddler has been paid back in spades.
This Year Please Browns! For Jim! For the Gipper, Stan, Tour...and all of us. Please...
That reminds me of a story long, long ago. I read Jim Brown's account - he said they were playing the Giants, and Sam Huff ? Tackled him when he was knew to the NFL - and laid on him and said "Jimmy, you stink". The next play, it happened again, and Huff said the same thing again. Jim Brown got pretty mad, and said the next chance, he ran right over Sam Huff and refused to be tackled. I read that so long ago...
That reminds me of a story long, long ago. I read Jim Brown's account - he said they were playing the Giants, and Sam Huff ? Tackled him when he was knew to the NFL - and laid on him and said "Jimmy, you stink". The next play, it happened again, and Huff said the same thing again. Jim Brown got pretty mad, and said the next chance, he ran right over Sam Huff and refused to be tackled. I read that so long ago...
The way I heard it, Huff tackled Jim Brown and told him he stuck. So then Jim broke through the line and took it to the end zone. He then yelled to Huff, "How do I smell from over here?!"
-
It had to have been 1955 since it was Otto Graham's last season.. A friend of my Dads had to cancel at the last moment, so dad took me. We played the Eagles. We won, but don't remember the score. I have slept a few times since then. I remember the weather being decent, so it had to be early fall. Maybe October.
I was young enough that the game was more secondary to being there with my Dad and inside a huge, full stadium of people. I do remember not liking the mustard....a bit spicy for a 6-7 year old.
-
I was young back then - somebody refused the idea that the Browns ever played at the Rubber Bowl, so.... I'm fairly sure I was about 7 yrs old back then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_Bowl
"The stadium also hosted professional football on a number of occasions: the Cleveland Rams of the National Football League (NFL) played two regular-season games at the Rubber Bowl, one in 1941 and one in 1942, and the NFL's Cleveland Browns used the stadium for 19 preseason games between 1950 and 1973."
(I humbly apologize, I made a really stupid mistake somehow. Can't blame it on anybody else, so.....)
-
I don't remember which game was my first but ill share my most memorable.
09/12/2004..the last season home opening win for the Browns.
QB: Jeff Garcia
Opponent: Ravens
Time started drinking: 6:01 AM
Time I fell asleep in the stands: End of the First quarter
Time I awoke and went crazy: Phil Dawson field goal in the Second quarter.
Time I fell asleep in the stands again: Start of the Third Quarter
Time I awoke and was mobbed and rallied for the rest of the day/game: Jeff Garcia to Quincy Morgan touchdown pass in the Third Quarter.
Hell of a game...and pre-game.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login