Skip to content

Pluto: How I've Heard The Browns Are Rebuilding Offense For Watson

The Browns Board
51 10 1.8k 1
  • @nickers said:

    Well it will matter if Watson gets injured.. Then it will matter.. Hes not even a big dude... He's barely one inch taller than Mayfield.. This isnt a big guy like Steve McNair or Big Ben were talking about here.. I don't like My QB's running all over the place regardless.. I like them winning from the pocket..

    Come on Nick.  Of course it will hurt if Watsons gets hurt.  If he gets hurt in game 2, I seriously doubt we can lean on the running game to produce 10 more wins.  Be real here.

    This dovetails with a comment by Flugs:  I don't know how to look this up, even if it can, but I'd bet more QB's over the last 10 years have been seriously hurt behind the LOS rather than past the LOS.  The pocket can be a death trap.   Even in the last 3-4 years.

    Any half way decent coach tells the QB that unless it is a do or die type situation in a do or die type a game at a do or die moment, don't try to milk the last 2-3 yards.  Just give it up.  If they do stupid shit like a few of our's did and think they could run, well ok, that isn't good.

    Watson isn't like those guys, he can run.  I don't want to see him triple flipping towards the end zone and getting hurt like McGown or like Baker running and think he was a power runner.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @ballpeen said:

    Come on Nick.  Of course it will hurt if Watsons gets hurt.  If he gets hurt in game 2, I seriously doubt we can lean on the running game to produce 10 more wins.  Be real here.

    This dovetails with a comment by Flugs:  I don't know how to look this up, even if it can, but I'd bet more QB's over the last 10 years have been seriously hurt behind the LOS rather than past the LOS.  The pocket can be a death trap.   Even in the last 3-4 years.

    Any half way decent coach tells the QB that unless it is a do or die type situation in a do or die type a game at a do or die moment, don't try to milk the last 2-3 yards.  Just give it up.  If they do stupid shit like a few of our's did and think they could run, well ok, that isn't good.

    Watson isn't like those guys, he can run.  I don't want to see him triple flipping towards the end zone and getting hurt like McGown or like Baker running and think he was a power runner.

    Ooookay!

  • @ballpeen said:

    Were the increased picks a result of the system or the fact he threw more passes?  I mean, if you played a game with zero passing attempts, you wouldn't have any picks, right?

    Now to be on point, I am not saying we are going to be 0 backs a huge amount of the time.  We will just see more.  Chubb is still going to get his carries.  They may go down some, but nothing drastic.  As players age, it is normal for a coach to try to save a star player from excess wear.  Without looking up the numbers, Chubb has been getting around 280-300 carries a year, and most of those were in 3 qtrs a game.  It seemed that Hunt got a big portion of the 3rd qtr carries.

    I'd still expect Chubb to get 250ish carries.  I am just not sure that Ford is going to get Hunts carries.  He will get some.  So will Watson.  Moore will probably get the other plays that a back would have gotten.  On some he may line up in the backfield, but i doubt he gets many as a straight handoff.

    As long as we are gaining yards and winning games it doesn't matter how we get them. Right?

    Well it will matter if Watson gets injured.. Then it will matter.. Hes not even a big dude... He's barely one inch taller than Mayfield.. This isnt a big guy like Steve McNair or Big Ben were talking about here.. I don't like My QB's running all over the place regardless.. I like them winning from the pocket..

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @nickers said:

    Well it will matter if Watson gets injured.. Then it will matter.. Hes not even a big dude... He's barely one inch taller than Mayfield.. This isnt a big guy like Steve McNair or Big Ben were talking about here.. I don't like My QB's running all over the place regardless.. I like them winning from the pocket..

    Maybe so, but less and less, the game isn't played that way anymore.  I'd also add that i would bet that more qb's have sustained serious injury inside the pocket than outside the pocket.  I don't know how one would prove that so it is probably a moot point.

  • @nickers said:

    Well it will matter if Watson gets injured.. Then it will matter.. Hes not even a big dude... He's barely one inch taller than Mayfield.. This isnt a big guy like Steve McNair or Big Ben were talking about here.. I don't like My QB's running all over the place regardless.. I like them winning from the pocket..

    Maybe so, but less and less, the game isn't played that way anymore.  I'd also add that i would bet that more qb's have sustained serious injury inside the pocket than outside the pocket.  I don't know how one would prove that so it is probably a moot point.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @ballpeen said:

    Maybe so, but less and less, the game isn't played that way anymore.  I'd also add that i would bet that more qb's have sustained serious injury inside the pocket than outside the pocket.  I don't know how one would prove that so it is probably a moot point.

    I wonder if there are just a lot more pocket passers than scramblers at qb. Don't know...but

    Overall, Manning went 4-of-5 for just 21 yards and one touchdown on those attempts. Wilson and Kaepernick combined for 37 out-of-pocket passes, almost one-quarter of their combined 150 attempts. Kaepernick was extremely successful on the move. He completed 12-of-20 attempts for 141 yards and two touchdowns.
     
    watching Mahomes play......
  • @nickers said:

    Well it will matter if Watson gets injured.. Then it will matter.. Hes not even a big dude... He's barely one inch taller than Mayfield.. This isnt a big guy like Steve McNair or Big Ben were talking about here.. I don't like My QB's running all over the place regardless.. I like them winning from the pocket..

    Maybe so, but less and less, the game isn't played that way anymore.  I'd also add that i would bet that more qb's have sustained serious injury inside the pocket than outside the pocket.  I don't know how one would prove that so it is probably a moot point.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @ballpeen said:

    Maybe so, but less and less, the game isn't played that way anymore.  I'd also add that i would bet that more qb's have sustained serious injury inside the pocket than outside the pocket.  I don't know how one would prove that so it is probably a moot point.

    Probably the most famous QB injury ever was Joe Theisman's gruesome leg pretzel on MNF, in the pocket. 

    I still think to win it all in the NFL, you have to have a QB who can win from the pocket. Doesn't mean that he can't run if need be, but if he can't pass well and read defenses well from the pocket, he will eventually get exposed.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Maybe so, but less and less, the game isn't played that way anymore.  I'd also add that i would bet that more qb's have sustained serious injury inside the pocket than outside the pocket.  I don't know how one would prove that so it is probably a moot point.

    Probably the most famous QB injury ever was Joe Theisman's gruesome leg pretzel on MNF, in the pocket. 

    I still think to win it all in the NFL, you have to have a QB who can win from the pocket. Doesn't mean that he can't run if need be, but if he can't pass well and read defenses well from the pocket, he will eventually get exposed.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dutch-oven said:

    I still think to win it all in the NFL, you have to have a QB who can win from the pocket. Doesn't mean that he can't run if need be, but if he can't pass well and read defenses well from the pocket, he will eventually get exposed.

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I still think to win it all in the NFL, you have to have a QB who can win from the pocket. Doesn't mean that he can't run if need be, but if he can't pass well and read defenses well from the pocket, he will eventually get exposed.

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @orion said:

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    Guys who could run but could stand in the pocket, read a defense and complete passes.

    Once Elway and Young figured that part out, they won Super Bowls. 

  • @orion said:

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    Guys who could run but could stand in the pocket, read a defense and complete passes.

    Once Elway and Young figured that part out, they won Super Bowls. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @dutch-oven said:

    Guys who could run but could stand in the pocket, read a defense and complete passes.

    Those are the toughest QB's to beat.  They read the defense, take the snap and continue to read the D,  if their target(s) get open, they fire it, if the internal clock says Time To Go, they run really fast.  Bernie had all that stuff right up to the point of taking off and run.  

    This is what I want from Watson.  Play the pocket...but don't die there.  Get out, run, get down, get OB or as Sam Rutigliano would say, simply throw it away.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I still think to win it all in the NFL, you have to have a QB who can win from the pocket. Doesn't mean that he can't run if need be, but if he can't pass well and read defenses well from the pocket, he will eventually get exposed.

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @orion said:

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    They were.  They also retired almost 25 years ago.  I'd also argue that for the times, those guys were running QB's.  That was a huge part of what made them so dynamic.

  • @orion said:

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    They were.  They also retired almost 25 years ago.  I'd also argue that for the times, those guys were running QB's.  That was a huge part of what made them so dynamic.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    They were.  They also retired almost 25 years ago.  I'd also argue that for the times, those guys were running QB's.  That was a huge part of what made them so dynamic.

    You would argue?

    NO WAY! ?

  • @orion said:

    John Elway, Steve Young.   Tough guys to beat.

    Guys who could run but could stand in the pocket, read a defense and complete passes.

    Once Elway and Young figured that part out, they won Super Bowls. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @dutch-oven said:

    Guys who could run but could stand in the pocket, read a defense and complete passes.

    Once Elway and Young figured that part out, they won Super Bowls. 

    Nicely put!  Let's hope the Big Man on the blind side of QB (Wills) makes standing in the pocket doable.  If he does, I love what's possible for Watson.  

    Sometimes we need to remember we're only as good as what the organization puts in place for their QBs. Once upon a time a ton of money was invested in the Titanic - only to steer that sucker right into a huge glacier.  "Yeah but it was dark outside!"     Try to imagine how dark it can get inside the pocket if you don't have the right man on the edge protecting the edge the blind side of QB.  The good news is this QB only has 1 blind side.  It IS Cleveland so I do have to say the outrageous.

    All those years we had a HOF career unfolding at Left Tackle, our FO couldn't tell the difference between a Brandon Weeden and a Russell Wilson leading up to the draft.

  • @ballpeen said:

    They were.  They also retired almost 25 years ago.  I'd also argue that for the times, those guys were running QB's.  That was a huge part of what made them so dynamic.

    You would argue?

    NO WAY! ?

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @dutch-oven said:

    You would argue?

    NO WAY! ?

    Just doing my thing

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Guys who could run but could stand in the pocket, read a defense and complete passes.

    Once Elway and Young figured that part out, they won Super Bowls. 

    Nicely put!  Let's hope the Big Man on the blind side of QB (Wills) makes standing in the pocket doable.  If he does, I love what's possible for Watson.  

    Sometimes we need to remember we're only as good as what the organization puts in place for their QBs. Once upon a time a ton of money was invested in the Titanic - only to steer that sucker right into a huge glacier.  "Yeah but it was dark outside!"     Try to imagine how dark it can get inside the pocket if you don't have the right man on the edge protecting the edge the blind side of QB.  The good news is this QB only has 1 blind side.  It IS Cleveland so I do have to say the outrageous.

    All those years we had a HOF career unfolding at Left Tackle, our FO couldn't tell the difference between a Brandon Weeden and a Russell Wilson leading up to the draft.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #32

    @flugel said:

    Nicely put!  Let's hope the Big Man on the blind side of QB (Wills) makes standing in the pocket doable.  If he does, I love what's possible for Watson.  

    Sometimes we need to remember we're only as good as what the organization puts in place for their QBs. Once upon a time a ton of money was invested in the Titanic - only to steer that sucker right into a huge glacier.  "Yeah but it was dark outside!"     Try to imagine how dark it can get inside the pocket if you don't have the right man on the edge protecting the edge the blind side of QB.  The good news is this QB only has 1 blind side.  It IS Cleveland so I do have to say the outrageous.

    All those years we had a HOF career unfolding at Left Tackle, our FO couldn't tell the difference between a Brandon Weeden and a Russell Wilson leading up to the draft.

    We have four games on our schedule (there will probably be more) where the most important player on the field for us will be Jed Wills.  Thinking about Steelers and the Ravens.  Watt/Highsmith and whatever 5/6 guys the Ravens throw at him…if he holds up (without getting called for holding) we can win them all. 
     

    Now I couldn’t tell you how many times (wasn’t on this forum yet) about 10/12 years ago where I’d argue with fellow Browns fans trying to explain we don’t need 5 first round pick offensive lineman to make a bad QB better.  Nothing was fixing the train wrecks we had at that position.  In fact one year I hoped we would draft 4/5 QBs maybe we’d find one that could deliver good solid play. 

  • @flugel said:

    Nicely put!  Let's hope the Big Man on the blind side of QB (Wills) makes standing in the pocket doable.  If he does, I love what's possible for Watson.  

    Sometimes we need to remember we're only as good as what the organization puts in place for their QBs. Once upon a time a ton of money was invested in the Titanic - only to steer that sucker right into a huge glacier.  "Yeah but it was dark outside!"     Try to imagine how dark it can get inside the pocket if you don't have the right man on the edge protecting the edge the blind side of QB.  The good news is this QB only has 1 blind side.  It IS Cleveland so I do have to say the outrageous.

    All those years we had a HOF career unfolding at Left Tackle, our FO couldn't tell the difference between a Brandon Weeden and a Russell Wilson leading up to the draft.

    We have four games on our schedule (there will probably be more) where the most important player on the field for us will be Jed Wills.  Thinking about Steelers and the Ravens.  Watt/Highsmith and whatever 5/6 guys the Ravens throw at him…if he holds up (without getting called for holding) we can win them all. 
     

    Now I couldn’t tell you how many times (wasn’t on this forum yet) about 10/12 years ago where I’d argue with fellow Browns fans trying to explain we don’t need 5 first round pick offensive lineman to make a bad QB better.  Nothing was fixing the train wrecks we had at that position.  In fact one year I hoped we would draft 4/5 QBs maybe we’d find one that could deliver good solid play. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We have four games on our schedule (there will probably be more) where the most important player on the field for us will be Jed Wills.  Thinking about Steelers and the Ravens.  Watt/Highsmith and whatever 5/6 guys the Ravens throw at him…if he holds up (without getting called for holding) we can win them all. 
     

    Now I couldn’t tell you how many times (wasn’t on this forum yet) about 10/12 years ago where I’d argue with fellow Browns fans trying to explain we don’t need 5 first round pick offensive lineman to make a bad QB better.  Nothing was fixing the train wrecks we had at that position.  In fact one year I hoped we would draft 4/5 QBs maybe we’d find one that could deliver good solid play. 

    Thanks SdB - You nailed it! 

    I have an idea that might not sound good at first.  Here it is though.  I think lining up the 6'8" 375lb former high basketball stud (Dawand Jones) to the left of Wills in various situations can open up some nice opportunities.  You know he's probably got good hands if we ever used him as dual purpose 2nd TE. It would be pretty fun to see him and Wills doing some double teams in pass pro or in run blocking.  It might be a great package to catch someone off guard with early on.  Worth a try????

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    We have four games on our schedule (there will probably be more) where the most important player on the field for us will be Jed Wills.  Thinking about Steelers and the Ravens.  Watt/Highsmith and whatever 5/6 guys the Ravens throw at him…if he holds up (without getting called for holding) we can win them all. 
     

    Now I couldn’t tell you how many times (wasn’t on this forum yet) about 10/12 years ago where I’d argue with fellow Browns fans trying to explain we don’t need 5 first round pick offensive lineman to make a bad QB better.  Nothing was fixing the train wrecks we had at that position.  In fact one year I hoped we would draft 4/5 QBs maybe we’d find one that could deliver good solid play. 

    Thanks SdB - You nailed it! 

    I have an idea that might not sound good at first.  Here it is though.  I think lining up the 6'8" 375lb former high basketball stud (Dawand Jones) to the left of Wills in various situations can open up some nice opportunities.  You know he's probably got good hands if we ever used him as dual purpose 2nd TE. It would be pretty fun to see him and Wills doing some double teams in pass pro or in run blocking.  It might be a great package to catch someone off guard with early on.  Worth a try????

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #34

    @flugel said:

    Thanks SdB - You nailed it! 

    I have an idea that might not sound good at first.  Here it is though.  I think lining up the 6'8" 375lb former high basketball stud (Dawand Jones) to the left of Wills in various situations can open up some nice opportunities.  You know he's probably got good hands if we ever used him as dual purpose 2nd TE. It would be pretty fun to see him and Wills doing some double teams in pass pro or in run blocking.  It might be a great package to catch someone off guard with early on.  Worth a try????

    I like it for the reasons you mentioned. If you don’t like it you are probably opposed to taking out an actual pass catching scoring threat and/or limits what you can call. 

    Watt is a hustle sack kinda guy…how many times over the years has he got to our guy just by chasing and making a play after the initial pass rush move was shut down?  Make him go around a 6’8” guy- maybe the extra second makes the difference.  They just gave Highsmith a bunch of money maybe they think he is comparable to Watt at this point in Watts career.   Tough matchup probably on either side 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    We have four games on our schedule (there will probably be more) where the most important player on the field for us will be Jed Wills.  Thinking about Steelers and the Ravens.  Watt/Highsmith and whatever 5/6 guys the Ravens throw at him…if he holds up (without getting called for holding) we can win them all. 
     

    Now I couldn’t tell you how many times (wasn’t on this forum yet) about 10/12 years ago where I’d argue with fellow Browns fans trying to explain we don’t need 5 first round pick offensive lineman to make a bad QB better.  Nothing was fixing the train wrecks we had at that position.  In fact one year I hoped we would draft 4/5 QBs maybe we’d find one that could deliver good solid play. 

    Thanks SdB - You nailed it! 

    I have an idea that might not sound good at first.  Here it is though.  I think lining up the 6'8" 375lb former high basketball stud (Dawand Jones) to the left of Wills in various situations can open up some nice opportunities.  You know he's probably got good hands if we ever used him as dual purpose 2nd TE. It would be pretty fun to see him and Wills doing some double teams in pass pro or in run blocking.  It might be a great package to catch someone off guard with early on.  Worth a try????

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @flugel said:

    Thanks SdB - You nailed it! 

    I have an idea that might not sound good at first.  Here it is though.  I think lining up the 6'8" 375lb former high basketball stud (Dawand Jones) to the left of Wills in various situations can open up some nice opportunities.  You know he's probably got good hands if we ever used him as dual purpose 2nd TE. It would be pretty fun to see him and Wills doing some double teams in pass pro or in run blocking.  It might be a great package to catch someone off guard with early on.  Worth a try????

    Jones probably has hands.  How good they are is the question.  I don't think he has ever caught a pass.  Maybe in HS or something like that.

  • @flugel said:

    Thanks SdB - You nailed it! 

    I have an idea that might not sound good at first.  Here it is though.  I think lining up the 6'8" 375lb former high basketball stud (Dawand Jones) to the left of Wills in various situations can open up some nice opportunities.  You know he's probably got good hands if we ever used him as dual purpose 2nd TE. It would be pretty fun to see him and Wills doing some double teams in pass pro or in run blocking.  It might be a great package to catch someone off guard with early on.  Worth a try????

    Jones probably has hands.  How good they are is the question.  I don't think he has ever caught a pass.  Maybe in HS or something like that.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @ballpeen said:

    Jones probably has hands.  How good they are is the question.  I don't think he has ever caught a pass.  Maybe in HS or something like that.

    Usually guys that are productive BIG men on the basketball court from constantly catching passes in traffic - don't have stone hands or struggle with hand-eye coordination.  For example, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales.  Having said that, I appreciate you reminding me there's always an exception to usually...

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #37

    Watson told Stefanski in the off-season that he’d like more autonomy on the field, and his coaches agreed.

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/07/how-deshaun-watson-is-running-the-show-more-on-offense-this-season-mary-kay-cabot.html

    Kevin. get the play call in, on time to do so.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #38

    "the biggest thing is moving guys around and being able to do all types of things"

    ----

    That's what I like to hear.  Move guys and call audibles to put the offense in better position to be successful against the defense that you see right in front of you.  

  • "the biggest thing is moving guys around and being able to do all types of things"

    ----

    That's what I like to hear.  Move guys and call audibles to put the offense in better position to be successful against the defense that you see right in front of you.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @orion said:

    "the biggest thing is moving guys around and being able to do all types of things"

    ----

    That's what I like to hear.  Move guys and call audibles to put the offense in better position to be successful against the defense that you see right in front of you.  

    Very good point!  The scary thing is - why are we so late to this trend?   Sticking with a formation against a defensive formation/alignment your offense struggles against is square pegging a round whole way too much for comfort. 

    I'd like to see some improvements to the receiving routes in the passing tree. The whole design of it all hasn't really impressed me yet.  That said, I kind of dig the addition of Musgrave to the offensive coaching staff.  I have a feeling we'll see some improvements in the design of the offense - which would help make the play-calling a little better and easier IMO.  

  • @orion said:

    "the biggest thing is moving guys around and being able to do all types of things"

    ----

    That's what I like to hear.  Move guys and call audibles to put the offense in better position to be successful against the defense that you see right in front of you.  

    Very good point!  The scary thing is - why are we so late to this trend?   Sticking with a formation against a defensive formation/alignment your offense struggles against is square pegging a round whole way too much for comfort. 

    I'd like to see some improvements to the receiving routes in the passing tree. The whole design of it all hasn't really impressed me yet.  That said, I kind of dig the addition of Musgrave to the offensive coaching staff.  I have a feeling we'll see some improvements in the design of the offense - which would help make the play-calling a little better and easier IMO.  

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @flugel said:

    The scary thing is - why are we so late to this trend?   Sticking with a formation against a defensive formation/alignment your offense struggles against is square pegging a round whole way too much for comfort. 

    Perhaps we didn't have the 'field general' that gave the coaches the confidence required.  Jacoby did a nice job for us but he was just a placeholder.  And certainly Watson didn't have the time in the system to be doing much of that.

    We had a coach some time ago who didn't want the QB to be calling audibles (not sure if it goes all the way back to Kosar & Belleyache).  He said, Inevitably, someone doesn't get the new assignment right and the play breaks down.  So just go ahead and run the play called in the huddle.  To me, that means you don't have good/smart enough players.  I mean, this is the BIG leagues.  Get big league players.