Skip to content

Manziel doc

The Browns Board
60 21 2.7k 1
  • @mjp28 said:

    You mean like the car wreck  -or-  worse yet train wreck where you promise  not to look .... but you can't help it and sneak a quick glance ?    Oh no, too late you did anyway.

    And now you're stuck with it on your memory.  And we have Johnny bleepin  football to thanks for that.    😮

    I think I’m guilty of the train wreck comment.  I know one thing….Ray Farmer will never sniff a GM job again 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I think I’m guilty of the train wreck comment.  I know one thing….Ray Farmer will never sniff a GM job again 

    Now, now, now! Everybody knows the Manziel pick came from the homeless guy on the street, not the GM.?

  • Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

  • Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    The documentary painted the picture of extreme Protection and Enablement from those around him with a financial interest. 

    Coaches, University, Mother, Father, Grandfather.

    How does more time at a university fix that? 
     

    His Dad 10 years later blames the college coaches lol. 

  • So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

  • News came out today that Manziel isn't the worst of recent Browns draft picks -- Buster Skrine [5/2011] arrested for check fraud from multiple Canadian banks.

    Skrine's OTC page shows he made over $40M during his career.. and he's doing time for a comparably minor total of $100k.

  • N Neo

    So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

    @neo said:

    So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

    Haslam isn't getting run out of town if Watson doesn't play at a high level.

    It will mean the Browns will have had a few more disappointing seasons to add to their impressive list post 1964. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    The documentary painted the picture of extreme Protection and Enablement from those around him with a financial interest. 

    Coaches, University, Mother, Father, Grandfather.

    How does more time at a university fix that? 
     

    His Dad 10 years later blames the college coaches lol. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The documentary painted the picture of extreme Protection and Enablement from those around him with a financial interest. 

    Coaches, University, Mother, Father, Grandfather.

    How does more time at a university fix that? 
     

    His Dad 10 years later blames the college coaches lol. 

    I can't imagine how he wouldn't have got kicked out of college football if he would have stuck around College Station.

    And his dad blaming the college coaches is a helluva lot easier than actually taking blame for it himself. You never got the impression his family was calling up the TAM coaching staff demanding that they be strict with him. 

    I've seen a few people try to spin that Johnny talked shit about Cleveland but he didn't, he flat-out admits that he would have failed anywhere he went. 

    His story is a classic "too much, too fast" situation. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    His family is a wonky factor as well. There's pretty good reporting out there, albeit never confirmed, that the family "wealth" was greatly exaggerated. In fact, if you believe said reporting the reported wealth was a ruse to lower questions on Manziel taking payments for autographs and the like. It could also be the reason he went pro early, as I don't disagree with you.

    In any event, I would reiterate that my ire for that whole dumpster fire was the Browns organization. That draft was loaded with talent too.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    His family is a wonky factor as well. There's pretty good reporting out there, albeit never confirmed, that the family "wealth" was greatly exaggerated. In fact, if you believe said reporting the reported wealth was a ruse to lower questions on Manziel taking payments for autographs and the like. It could also be the reason he went pro early, as I don't disagree with you.

    In any event, I would reiterate that my ire for that whole dumpster fire was the Browns organization. That draft was loaded with talent too.

    @jrb12711 said:

    In any event, I would reiterate that my ire for that whole dumpster fire was the Browns organization. That draft was loaded with talent too.

    Yeah, we could have gotten ourselves quite a CB back in that draft, say around #8 overall??

  • Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    Bad/apathetic parents - definitely not in their eyes.  They felt entitled to the millions and millions of dollars that Johnny made for TAMU and the countless promotions and extensions the coaches received. 
     

    Problem is if Johnny was born 10 years later in this time of the NCAA his parents are still pulling shenanigans like faking chest pains so Johnny isn’t held accountable for the Combine drug testing. 
     

  • I watched it last night very entertaining and not as painful as you'd think. The Browns segment was relatively short but instructive.
    My takeaways:
    The Browns organization was/is terrible. They should've walked out of the private workout, if a QB can't corral WRs for a workout then he has zero leadership skills.
    Manziel actually had talent but became an entitled brat spoilt by his family not his coaches as his father claimed. Heck if you fake an illness to cover your son's benders and inability to perform at the combine don't blame anyone else.
    You really need a strong organization around a budding star, Texas A&M didn't provide it. I think he would've fared much professionally under a Nick Saban. After becoming "Johnny Football" he was enabled by everyone, his OC Kliff Kingsbury admitted it on camera.
    The sports media is fake news, no one did a fact check on Manziel being "Old Money" and I remember them reporting he was studying tape when he admitted to ZERO minutes of watching tape.
    I remember the Merrill Hoge segment on him, Johnny realistically should've been drafted in the lower rounds and given time to see if he really wanted to play football.
    His former agent deserves his own show, his antics were hilarious.
  • @jrb12711 said:

    Eh, maybe it's the old man and father in me but I don't have the disdain for Johnny Football like some others have. Honestly, I have way, way more contempt for the clowns in the organization who drafted him despite overtly obvious red flags. I was the poor kid in private school and have seen a bunch of guys go crazy in their college years like Johnny did. Sympathy isn't the right word, for sure, but I also through my "adult" lens can realize it was just bad/apathetic parents and a cry for help. Give folks like that a lot of money and fame? Recipe for disaster.

    I really don't have the inclination to watch this, but people can change and hopefully Manziel has.

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    He was already having his 'buds' piss in the cup for him at A&M.  He's a shitbird.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I always felt the disaster was his parents and the coaches (both college and pro) not sitting him down and clearly making him understand he was not mentally mature enough for the NFL. He should have stayed all 4 years and been given that chance. Kids that age can't make that kind of decision without a lot of honest help. I think we all realize it was years too soon if ever.

    He was already having his 'buds' piss in the cup for him at A&M.  He's a shitbird.

    @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

    He was already having his 'buds' piss in the cup for him at A&M.  He's a shitbird.

    And hence my ending the last sentence with "if ever". The "help" should have included a stay in a substance abuse inpatient program with outpatient followup.

  • @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

    He was already having his 'buds' piss in the cup for him at A&M.  He's a shitbird.

    And hence my ending the last sentence with "if ever". The "help" should have included a stay in a substance abuse inpatient program with outpatient followup.

    @texasag1969 said:

    And hence my ending the last sentence with "if ever". The "help" should have included a stay in a substance abuse inpatient program with outpatient followup.

    I already watched him fuck up in real time.. Do we have to do it in slo mo too?

  • @tinythinker said:



    If nothing else, the documentary might get some publicity for the new bar he is opening in College Station.

    You think they'll have a drink called the Swan Song? ??

    Just Johnny Manziel riding an inflatable swan with a champagne bottle.

    @texasag1969 said:

    You think they'll have a drink called the Swan Song? ??

    Just Johnny Manziel riding an inflatable swan with a champagne bottle.

    Reminds me of Adam Sandlers movie, Billy Madison.

    I watched it and I don't know why I did.

  • N Neo

    So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

    @neo said:

    So drafting Manziel was a "Haslam" thing, right? It makes me wonder if bringing Watson here was also a Haslam thing? I'm still a believer in Watson after what little I saw of him last season but what I'm saying is bringing Watson here strictly Haslam pulling rank of was it something the front office agreed to? That fully guaranteed contract suggests it's Haslam pulling rank. If that's true then he better be right on this otherwise he will be run out of town and rightfully so it Watson doesn't produce.

    na man I believe they came to jimmy and he wrote the check

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And hence my ending the last sentence with "if ever". The "help" should have included a stay in a substance abuse inpatient program with outpatient followup.

    I already watched him fuck up in real time.. Do we have to do it in slo mo too?

    @nickers said:

    I already watched him fuck up in real time.. Do we have to do it in slo mo too?

    I ain't watchin' it either. Waste of time.⌛