Skip to content

Cooper

The Browns Board
32 13 2.0k 1
  • If Cooper doesn't get 1000 yds that is not necessarily a bad thing if the team totals are 1000 yds higher than last year. That means Watson is who we hope he is.

  • I honestly had no idea the Browns never had a receiver with consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. I guess l assumed a guy like Webster Slaughter or Kevin Johnson did it. 

    Any Twin Peaks fans? I can’t see “Cooper” and not think Agent Cooper. That’s a damn fine cup of football. 

  • I honestly had no idea the Browns never had a receiver with consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. I guess l assumed a guy like Webster Slaughter or Kevin Johnson did it. 

    Any Twin Peaks fans? I can’t see “Cooper” and not think Agent Cooper. That’s a damn fine cup of football. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I honestly had no idea the Browns never had a receiver with consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. I guess l assumed a guy like Webster Slaughter or Kevin Johnson did it. 

    Any Twin Peaks fans? I can’t see “Cooper” and not think Agent Cooper. That’s a damn fine cup of football. 

    Paul Warfield mightve done it had we not traded him...

  • I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

    And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

    If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

  • I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

    And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

    If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

    And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

    If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

    They play 17 friggen games a year.  That's less than 60 yards a game.  Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot.  Elite receivers should gain around 1400 yards.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

    And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

    If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

    They play 17 friggen games a year.  That's less than 60 yards a game.  Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot.  Elite receivers should gain around 1400 yards.

    @ballpeen said:

    They play 17 friggen games a year.  That's less than 60 yards a game.  Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot.  Elite receivers should gain around 1400 yards.

    Yet some “elite” WRs don’t.

    The added game helps meet the total but there were more 1000 yard WRs back in 2019 than last year.

  • That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

    We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

  • I just want him to be elite every time I use him on my FFL team. ?

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

    And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

    If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

    They play 17 friggen games a year.  That's less than 60 yards a game.  Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot.  Elite receivers should gain around 1400 yards.

    @ballpeen said:

    They play 17 friggen games a year. 

    1st reply to this thread.  🙂

    Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today. 

    oh boy...

    Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot. 

    ...it has a nice 'ring' to it.  🙂

  • @ballpeen said:

    They play 17 friggen games a year. 

    1st reply to this thread.  🙂

    Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today. 

    oh boy...

    Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot. 

    ...it has a nice 'ring' to it.  🙂

    @orion said:

    1st reply to this thread.  🙂

    Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today. 

    oh boy...

    Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot. 

    ...it has a nice 'ring' to it.  🙂

    You have to use the word chumps in context.  I don't mean scrubs.  If Frenchy Fuqua played 17 game seasons he would have gained near 1000 yards.

  • @orion said:

    1st reply to this thread.  🙂

    Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today. 

    oh boy...

    Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot. 

    ...it has a nice 'ring' to it.  🙂

    You have to use the word chumps in context.  I don't mean scrubs.  If Frenchy Fuqua played 17 game seasons he would have gained near 1000 yards.

    @ballpeen said:

    You have to use the word chumps in context.  I don't mean scrubs.  If Frenchy Fuqua played 17 game seasons he would have gained near 1000 yards.

    I heard ya 🙂  

  • Like others said, I too was surprised when I first read this. Whether we now play 17 or 20 games it's still nice to watch how these guys progress over the season towards some type of marker.

  • Modern Era sees more throws to WR3, TE2 and others than in years past.  Also, this team's WR room is more substantial than the Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor volume era where one guy was the only NFL talent on the roster and so would continue to feast even with a 40% drop rate.

    I don't think Cooper will get 1000 this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.  I want to see Moore, Tillman, and Bell do more because one of DPJ or Cooper is gone in 2024.

  • We were the first team with 25 starting qbs in 15 yrs

  • We were the first team with 25 starting qbs in 15 yrs

    @kvoethe said:

    We were the first team with 25 starting qbs in 15 yrs

    Who knows.  Maybe the last.  An all-time record!

  • Looking pretty good I see.

  • 17 games.

    @orion said:

    17 games.

    That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   ? With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

  • That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

    We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

    @ballpeen said:

    That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

    We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

    True 'Peen...  I had to go to Pro Football Reference and get out the calculator. Jim Brown gained a tad over 1,500 yards in a 12 game season. That's 125 yard average EVERY game. Extrapolate that to 17 games, and it works out to 2,100 yards.  

  • JaxJ Jax

    Amari Cooper could be the Browns first wide receiver to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

    https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/cleveland-browns/2023/09/03/64f4f4c0ca4741d83d8b4589.html

    @jax said:

    Amari Cooper could be the Browns first wide receiver to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

    https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/cleveland-browns/2023/09/03/64f4f4c0ca4741d83d8b4589.html

    But we can add in five more 1,000 yard seasons he had with other teams.  Oh, I had to look it up, Cooper's career yardage of 9,200 easily surpasses Newsom's total. FWIW he'll need around 1,000 more career yards to break into the top 50 all time. 

    And checking that list, records are made to be broken, but Jerry Rice's 22,000 is the Mount Everest of receiving yards. no one will get close to that in our lifetimes, 17 game seasons or not.  

  • @orion said:

    17 games.

    That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   ? With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

    @hoorta said:

    That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   ? With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

    Game 15.