Skip to content

Cooper

The Browns Board
32 13 2.0k 1
  • Looking pretty good I see.

  • 17 games.

    @orion said:

    17 games.

    That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   ? With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

  • That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

    We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

    @ballpeen said:

    That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

    We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

    True 'Peen...  I had to go to Pro Football Reference and get out the calculator. Jim Brown gained a tad over 1,500 yards in a 12 game season. That's 125 yard average EVERY game. Extrapolate that to 17 games, and it works out to 2,100 yards.  

  • JaxJ Jax

    Amari Cooper could be the Browns first wide receiver to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

    https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/cleveland-browns/2023/09/03/64f4f4c0ca4741d83d8b4589.html

    @jax said:

    Amari Cooper could be the Browns first wide receiver to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

    https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/cleveland-browns/2023/09/03/64f4f4c0ca4741d83d8b4589.html

    But we can add in five more 1,000 yard seasons he had with other teams.  Oh, I had to look it up, Cooper's career yardage of 9,200 easily surpasses Newsom's total. FWIW he'll need around 1,000 more career yards to break into the top 50 all time. 

    And checking that list, records are made to be broken, but Jerry Rice's 22,000 is the Mount Everest of receiving yards. no one will get close to that in our lifetimes, 17 game seasons or not.  

  • @orion said:

    17 games.

    That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   ? With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

    @hoorta said:

    That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   ? With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

    Game 15. 

  • That comes as a little bit of a shock, but then again...

    1. The Browns have only had a receiver eclipse 1000 yards 16 times in their history. 

    2 Ozzie did it twice, but not back-to-back. Tight ends usually don't rack up huge yardage totals. 

    3. Does anyone remember Gary Barnidge's 79 reception, 1043 yards performance in 2015? I'm reading through the list, and there's a few pretty mediocre players who were on it, but man, I do not remember Barnidge having that season. 

    4. Not only do I expect Cooper to get 1000 yards (if he stays healthy) but I think he ends up having the most receptions in team history too. 

    5. Great receivers of the past just didn't catch enough balls to get 1000 yards regularly. Speedie and Lavelli played in an era where a great receiver might catch three balls a game while playing 12 game schedules, and Warfield and Collins' era wasn't much more prolific, even with a 14 game schedule. Sipe and Kosar produced a few really good passing seasons, but both offenses really spread the ball around. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    That comes as a little bit of a shock, but then again...

    1. The Browns have only had a receiver eclipse 1000 yards 16 times in their history. 

    2 Ozzie did it twice, but not back-to-back. Tight ends usually don't rack up huge yardage totals. 

    3. Does anyone remember Gary Barnidge's 79 reception, 1043 yards performance in 2015? I'm reading through the list, and there's a few pretty mediocre players who were on it, but man, I do not remember Barnidge having that season. 

    4. Not only do I expect Cooper to get 1000 yards (if he stays healthy) but I think he ends up having the most receptions in team history too. 

    5. Great receivers of the past just didn't catch enough balls to get 1000 yards regularly. Speedie and Lavelli played in an era where a great receiver might catch three balls a game while playing 12 game schedules, and Warfield and Collins' era wasn't much more prolific, even with a 14 game schedule. Sipe and Kosar produced a few really good passing seasons, but both offenses really spread the ball around. 

    Well said - appreciate the research!  As frustrating as it got sometimes with the dropsies, it's still hard to believe that Braylon Edwards found the focus for the following in 2007:

    80 rec  1289 yards  16.1 avg  16 TDs  

  • I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

  • JaxJ Jax

    I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

    @jax said:

    I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

    Braylon had one memorable season.. it all went south after that...

  • JaxJ Jax

    I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

    @jax said:

    I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

    Yeah, it's hard to believe.  While we're at it - the Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season and did NOT make the playoffs.  That same year NE went 16-0 and did not win the Super Bowl...

  • @jax said:

    I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

    Yeah, it's hard to believe.  While we're at it - the Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season and did NOT make the playoffs.  That same year NE went 16-0 and did not win the Super Bowl...

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, it's hard to believe.  While we're at it - the Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season and did NOT make the playoffs.  The same year New England went 16-0 and did NOT make it to the Super Bowl.  

    They lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl 

  • @flugel said:

    Yeah, it's hard to believe.  While we're at it - the Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season and did NOT make the playoffs.  The same year New England went 16-0 and did NOT make it to the Super Bowl.  

    They lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl 

    @dutch-oven said:

    They lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl 

    That's right, thanks Dutch!  I was mixing up the post season in 2007 which was from the 2006 regular season.  That year, the Colts played Chicago in the Super Bowl and that's what I was thinking about (due to the calendar year of the post season).

    The early senior moments are adding up lately.  I fixed it - I mean you fixed it.   ?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    They lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl 

    That's right, thanks Dutch!  I was mixing up the post season in 2007 which was from the 2006 regular season.  That year, the Colts played Chicago in the Super Bowl and that's what I was thinking about (due to the calendar year of the post season).

    The early senior moments are adding up lately.  I fixed it - I mean you fixed it.   ?

    @flugel said:

    The early senior moments are adding up lately.  I fixed it - I mean you fixed it.   ?

    Monu-mental task to say the least.?

  • Congrats and Thank You Amari Cooper!   A new Browns single game receiving record!  Erasing Josh Gordon...a guy, and an era that we'd all like to forget.  

    We now have a 'good man' holding our single game yardage record!

      -  I've been saying since the offseason....we've got to find a way to keep him on the team.  Salary cap be damned.  

  • Congrats and Thank You Amari Cooper!   A new Browns single game receiving record!  Erasing Josh Gordon...a guy, and an era that we'd all like to forget.  

    We now have a 'good man' holding our single game yardage record!

      -  I've been saying since the offseason....we've got to find a way to keep him on the team.  Salary cap be damned.  

    @orion said:

    Congrats and Thank You Amari Cooper!   A new Browns single game receiving record!  Erasing Josh Gordon...a guy, and an era that we'd all like to forget.  

    We now have a 'good man' holding our single game yardage record!

      -  I've been saying since the offseason....we've got to find a way to keep him on the team.  Salary cap be damned.  

    Amari Cooper is magic to the offense.  He MUST stay a Cleveland Brown.