Skip to content

★ New members ★

The Browns Board
67 22 17.9k
  • @catanzar0 said:

    Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

    That's a really nice story of your Dad and you watching the NFL round up show religiously culminating in the Superbowl show.   Really good stuff !  And welcome to  TBB.   Enjoy yourself around the forums, any questions please ask,  hope to see you aroung !     mjp.

    Reminds me of my dad and me watching the NFL on Sundays .... when ALL of the games were on Sundays.    And also on Friday nights the old black & white fights.  The TV days before over the air color TV was here in the 1960s.   My dad was a club fighter before going the US NAVY just before  WWII broke out in Europe and he was shipped out to Northern Africa and then to the Mediterranean before the invasions of North Africa and Italy.

      He was on small about 80 foot (PT boat size) wooden mine sweeper with .50 caliber machine guns and rifles to shoot mines and at ME-109s  and took a beating from the German Luftwaffe.   They would cut the cables, when the mines came up they would shoot them, fun stuff !  Dad was a  great rifle shot back home so they did target practice with the 30-06 or the .50 cals to  BLOW  up the mines.    He earned a Bronze Star for his action there.

    ~AND~  he also was a boxer while he was a with the  US NAVY during his time in Europe.  In fact he was a CHAMPION in his weight class in the Northern Atlantic.  When you are on a ship after crossing the Atlantic and waiting for assignment you do have long down times sometimes followed by some terrifying actions like cutting and blowing up mines while being straffed by  ME-109s.   He had some amazing times before the landings in Africa and Sicily.

    He was studying to be an electrican prior to WWII  so after the landings they transfered him to WESTPAC and he ended up on the battleship BB-62 the New Jersey.  His boxing days over, he ended WWII as the Chief Electrian on BB-62.   He put in his 6 active + 4 years reserve,  got married, i was on the way in 1950 ...... and then .... Korea broke out .....  Uncle Sam sent daddy a letter .... they were taking the New Jersey out of mothballs .... yes  he had to report.

    SO,  for the next two years he was on a battleship in Korea.   The first pictures of daddy & me he had his sailor suit on and I was getting bigger.

    But in the late 1950s plus my dad worked hard raising then 5 boys with mom  -BUT- we watched our Friday night fights and Sunday NFL Cleveland BROWNS  football.    Some things last forever through World Wars or whatever.   Thanks dad and  dads everywhere !     I'm 73 now and am still a diehard fan.  Oh, and .....

    GO BROWNS !

    @mjp28 said:

    That's a really nice story of your Dad and you watching the NFL round up show religiously culminating in the Superbowl show.   Really good stuff !  And welcome to  TBB.   Enjoy yourself around the forums, any questions please ask,  hope to see you aroung !     mjp.

    Reminds me of my dad and me watching the NFL on Sundays .... when ALL of the games were on Sundays.    And also on Friday nights the old black & white fights.  The TV days before over the air color TV was here in the 1960s.   My dad was a club fighter before going the US NAVY just before  WWII broke out in Europe and he was shipped out to Northern Africa and then to the Mediterranean before the invasions of North Africa and Italy.

      He was on small about 80 foot (PT boat size) wooden mine sweeper with .50 caliber machine guns and rifles to shoot mines and at ME-109s  and took a beating from the German Luftwaffe.   They would cut the cables, when the mines came up they would shoot them, fun stuff !  Dad was a  great rifle shot back home so they did target practice with the 30-06 or the .50 cals to  BLOW  up the mines.    He earned a Bronze Star for his action there.

    ~AND~  he also was a boxer while he was a with the  US NAVY during his time in Europe.  In fact he was a CHAMPION in his weight class in the Northern Atlantic.  When you are on a ship after crossing the Atlantic and waiting for assignment you do have long down times sometimes followed by some terrifying actions like cutting and blowing up mines while being straffed by  ME-109s.   He had some amazing times before landins in Africa and Sicily.

    He was studying to be an electrican prior to WWII  so after the landings they transfered him to WESTPAC and he ended up on the battleship BB-62 the New Jersey.  His boxing days over, he ended WWII as the Chief Electrian on BB-62.   He put in his 6 active + 4 years reserve,  got married, i was on yhe way in 1950 ...... anc then .... Korea broke out .....  Uncle Sam sent daddy a letter .... they were taking the New Jersey out of mothballs .... yes  he had to report.

    SO,  for the next two years he was on a battleship in Korea.   The first pictures of daddy & me he had his sailor suit on and I was getting bigger.

    But in the late 1950s plus my dad worked hard raising then 5 boys with mom  -BUT- we watched our Friday night fights and Sunday NFL Cleveland BROWNS  football.    Some things last forever through World Wars or whatever.   Thanks dad and  dads everywhere !     I'm 73 now and am still a diehard fan.  Oh, and .....

    GO BROWNS !

    I love this mjp, thank you for sharing.. I’m actually Italian/Irish my mother is from southern Italy (my user name is the city she comes from in Calabria) and her father was captured by the allied forces in North Africa.. he was shipped to England as a prisoner of war and returned to England with his wife and kids in the 50’s to work on the farms that used his labour as a prisoner..

    You never know he may have come across your father.. who by the way, sounds like such an amazing guy.. incredible in fact, the service he gave to your country can never be forgotten.. and must make you feel so proud to be his son.

    Where I live now in Southampton, there is a wall by a hotel, that looks completely normal, but when you get close you can see name’s etched in to it, it is guys from the US WWII forces queuing and waiting to get on the ships back to the US.. when I pass it next I’ll take some photos and message you so you can see what I mean.. I always feel emotional when I see it.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Welcome to The Board Catanzar, and thanks for the intro. I’m guessing you got in to American Football later in life? 

    Yeah, Thomas was freaking great man. Loved watching that guy.

    Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

    @catanzar0 said:

     I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

    Most of us were born into it, we had no other choice.  But those of you that choose this, you're a special breed and god bless ya for it.  

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Welcome to The Board Catanzar, and thanks for the intro. I’m guessing you got in to American Football later in life? 

    Yeah, Thomas was freaking great man. Loved watching that guy.

    Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

    @catanzar0 said:

    Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

    Welcome to the board from a fellow Brit, I've not been on here very long but have had loads of help and ideas off the lads on here as I've been planning my trip over for a  couple of Browns matches over Christmas and new year. Everything is booked now and sorted my ESTA yesterday and had it approved within an hour. Just need to get a new phone and sort match tickets. If you ever feel like taking the plunge and going over for Browns games, this is a good place to be for Ticket advice and pub recommendations along with other stuff. Had loads of good days out in Southampton when visiting The Dell and St Mary's. Drank in a fine old boozer called The Juniper Berry last visit and The Fire House (rock pub) and The Cricketers on previous trips. I believe Fire House is now closed sadly.   

  • @catanzar0 said:

    Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

    Welcome to the board from a fellow Brit, I've not been on here very long but have had loads of help and ideas off the lads on here as I've been planning my trip over for a  couple of Browns matches over Christmas and new year. Everything is booked now and sorted my ESTA yesterday and had it approved within an hour. Just need to get a new phone and sort match tickets. If you ever feel like taking the plunge and going over for Browns games, this is a good place to be for Ticket advice and pub recommendations along with other stuff. Had loads of good days out in Southampton when visiting The Dell and St Mary's. Drank in a fine old boozer called The Juniper Berry last visit and The Fire House (rock pub) and The Cricketers on previous trips. I believe Fire House is now closed sadly.   

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Welcome to the board from a fellow Brit, I've not been on here very long but have had loads of help and ideas off the lads on here as I've been planning my trip over for a  couple of Browns matches over Christmas and new year. Everything is booked now and sorted my ESTA yesterday and had it approved within an hour. Just need to get a new phone and sort match tickets. If you ever feel like taking the plunge and going over for Browns games, this is a good place to be for Ticket advice and pub recommendations along with other stuff. Had loads of good days out in Southampton when visiting The Dell and St Mary's. Drank in a fine old boozer called The Juniper Berry last visit and The Fire House (rock pub) and The Cricketers on previous trips. I believe Fire House is now closed sadly.   

    Went to York a couple of years back and visited the Air Museum there among other things (Like the Viking Center). Wonderful trip and we were well treated by your Yorkshire people everywhere we went.

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Welcome to the board from a fellow Brit, I've not been on here very long but have had loads of help and ideas off the lads on here as I've been planning my trip over for a  couple of Browns matches over Christmas and new year. Everything is booked now and sorted my ESTA yesterday and had it approved within an hour. Just need to get a new phone and sort match tickets. If you ever feel like taking the plunge and going over for Browns games, this is a good place to be for Ticket advice and pub recommendations along with other stuff. Had loads of good days out in Southampton when visiting The Dell and St Mary's. Drank in a fine old boozer called The Juniper Berry last visit and The Fire House (rock pub) and The Cricketers on previous trips. I believe Fire House is now closed sadly.   

    Went to York a couple of years back and visited the Air Museum there among other things (Like the Viking Center). Wonderful trip and we were well treated by your Yorkshire people everywhere we went.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Went to York a couple of years back and visited the Air Museum there among other things (Like the Viking Center). Wonderful trip and we were well treated by your Yorkshire people everywhere we went.

    Air museum is brilliant and I think is the most complete WW2 Air base remaining on our shores. York used to have loads and my dad used to stand at the end of the runway as Halifax Bombers used to take off from Clifton and fly over his head. He also used to get bollocked for playing in the local bomb craters, York was bombed on something daft like 16 different raids mainly aiming for the railway yards. Useless Luftwaffe missed the railways and dropped them on my housing estate by mistake, missed my house by about 30 yards and flattened part of the next street and the local school, the bunch of arseholes!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Went to York a couple of years back and visited the Air Museum there among other things (Like the Viking Center). Wonderful trip and we were well treated by your Yorkshire people everywhere we went.

    Air museum is brilliant and I think is the most complete WW2 Air base remaining on our shores. York used to have loads and my dad used to stand at the end of the runway as Halifax Bombers used to take off from Clifton and fly over his head. He also used to get bollocked for playing in the local bomb craters, York was bombed on something daft like 16 different raids mainly aiming for the railway yards. Useless Luftwaffe missed the railways and dropped them on my housing estate by mistake, missed my house by about 30 yards and flattened part of the next street and the local school, the bunch of arseholes!

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Air museum is brilliant and I think is the most complete WW2 Air base remaining on our shores. York used to have loads and my dad used to stand at the end of the runway as Halifax Bombers used to take off from Clifton and fly over his head. He also used to get bollocked for playing in the local bomb craters, York was bombed on something daft like 16 different raids mainly aiming for the railway yards. Useless Luftwaffe missed the railways and dropped them on my housing estate by mistake, missed my house by about 30 yards and flattened part of the next street and the local school, the bunch of arseholes!

    The biggest surprise to us was learning that the Vikings had a community there in York for almost as many years as the United States has existed as a separate country, about 200. I previously thought of Vikings as raiders only, not settlers. So you likely have some Viking DNA if your family has been there for some time (which of course you share with the bastards who bombed you- LOL).

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Air museum is brilliant and I think is the most complete WW2 Air base remaining on our shores. York used to have loads and my dad used to stand at the end of the runway as Halifax Bombers used to take off from Clifton and fly over his head. He also used to get bollocked for playing in the local bomb craters, York was bombed on something daft like 16 different raids mainly aiming for the railway yards. Useless Luftwaffe missed the railways and dropped them on my housing estate by mistake, missed my house by about 30 yards and flattened part of the next street and the local school, the bunch of arseholes!

    The biggest surprise to us was learning that the Vikings had a community there in York for almost as many years as the United States has existed as a separate country, about 200. I previously thought of Vikings as raiders only, not settlers. So you likely have some Viking DNA if your family has been there for some time (which of course you share with the bastards who bombed you- LOL).

    @texasag1969 said:

    The biggest surprise to us was learning that the Vikings had a community there in York for almost as many years as the United States has existed as a separate country, about 200. I previously thought of Vikings as raiders only, not settlers. So you likely have some Viking DNA if your family has been there for some time (which of course you share with the bastards who bombed you- LOL).

    I would say it's nailed on I'm of Viking stock as our family name is Norse and my ancestors on my dads side were from Wearside were the Vikings also settled. And I hold no grudge with the Germans, I've had many a good trip over there and the vast majority of them are sound and like to get stuck in to the beer just like we do. 

  • sydS syd

    Scooter was up ?

    @syd said:

    Scooter was up ?

    Hey syd what's new with you ?   Watching  TNF tonight ?  Good luck cinci !

  • @syd said:

    Scooter was up ?

    Hey syd what's new with you ?   Watching  TNF tonight ?  Good luck cinci !

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey syd what's new with you ?   Watching  TNF tonight ?  Good luck cinci !

    that game sure did suck

  • Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

  • Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

    Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

    Maybe he just thinks the user Cleve sux, haha

  • @westside-steve said:

    Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

    Maybe he just thinks the user Cleve sux, haha

    @mld-woody said:

    Maybe he just thinks the user Cleve sux, haha

    Never thought of that woodrow. Hating that fucker might be automatic approval. ?

    WSS

  • Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

    Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

    I think we might want to be a bit. "Open minded" about newmembers  but  we also don't want to invite a bunch of headaches.

    Maybe ask them to clean up their user names a bit as a reqirement for admission to this Cleveland BROWNS  board.  I say yes.  ( ✔️)  Ex.  Go Pitts.  Yes.   CLE SUX  NO !  

    Easy enough ?   Eh ?   🙂

  • @westside-steve said:

    Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

    WSS 

    I think we might want to be a bit. "Open minded" about newmembers  but  we also don't want to invite a bunch of headaches.

    Maybe ask them to clean up their user names a bit as a reqirement for admission to this Cleveland BROWNS  board.  I say yes.  ( ✔️)  Ex.  Go Pitts.  Yes.   CLE SUX  NO !  

    Easy enough ?   Eh ?   🙂

    @mjp28 said:

    I think we might want to be a bit. "Open minded" about newmembers  but  we also don't want to invite a bunch of headaches.

    Maybe ask them to clean up their user names a bit as a reqirement for admission to this Cleveland BROWNS  board.  I say yes.  ( ✔️)  Ex.  Go Pitts.  Yes.   CLE SUX  NO !  

    Easy enough ?   Eh ?   🙂

    Hey fuck them. Coming here with that screen name is an act of hostility so..

    I could treat a Squealer fan with respect, well some respect, but that's about as far as it goes and they are going to get a raft of shit.

    WSS 

  • Steve,  any more recent new sign ups ?   mjp.

  • I guess I've been a member for a while and only found out when I tried to create an account and was notified that my e-mail was already on file. A little about myself, I live in the Columbus area. I'm a huge OSU fan and I also root for ND. I've been a Browns fan since Blanton Collier(1968) was head coach, Indians fan since 1968 and Cavs fan since their very beginning. I'm a long time Browns season ticket holder and hope to hang around long enough to at least witness the Browns in the SB. I've witnessed 5 NFL/AFC championships but all of those came in my first 20 years of fandom. 

  • I guess I've been a member for a while and only found out when I tried to create an account and was notified that my e-mail was already on file. A little about myself, I live in the Columbus area. I'm a huge OSU fan and I also root for ND. I've been a Browns fan since Blanton Collier(1968) was head coach, Indians fan since 1968 and Cavs fan since their very beginning. I'm a long time Browns season ticket holder and hope to hang around long enough to at least witness the Browns in the SB. I've witnessed 5 NFL/AFC championships but all of those came in my first 20 years of fandom. 

    @katfan4ever said:

    I guess I've been a member for a while and only found out when I tried to create an account and was notified that my e-mail was already on file. A little about myself, I live in the Columbus area. I'm a huge OSU fan and I also root for ND. I've been a Browns fan since Blanton Collier(1968) was head coach, Indians fan since 1968 and Cavs fan since their very beginning. I'm a long time Browns season ticket holder and hope to hang around long enough to at least witness the Browns in the SB. I've witnessed 5 NFL/AFC championships but all of those came in my first 20 years of fandom. 

    Thanks for chiming in Katfan! Go Browns!

  • Hi. I just Okayed a bunch of new members. So if you were one of them, check in and say hello.

    Tell us who you are and what brings you to the browns board

    Westside Steve 

    WSS

  • [ HEY NEW MEMBERS !  ]

    For all you new members  STOP BY !  🙂  AND JUST SAY HI !       Let us know a little about you, your favorite stuff and such.    

       ?       THE BROWNS BOARD        ?

  • I'm not a member yet but I've registered and I hope I will be soon. I'm not sure if this actually publishes otherwise but I figured I'd give it a shot.

    I wasn't a big sports fan growing up and have been trying to get more into it as an adult. I've wanted to follow NFL for a while which can be a challenge because I live and work in Korea. But this year I decided I'm going for it. I'm learning slowly so I hope some fans will be patient with me, I'm very excited to get into the sport. When it came to picking a team to follow I didn't have much to go on - I didn't have the histroy with football a lot of you probably do. But I lived in Ohio from the ages of 7 to 11 and they were the happiest times of my childhood. I get weepy eyed when I see a Meijer. This was also though in the dark times... 95-99... So I'm sure many of you will know why I didn't get indoctrinated into Brown-ism then... I actually only learned about all that today and I can't imagine what it must have been like. I got emotional myself seeing old footage of fans at that last 95 game. I like under dogs, who doesn't? And one of the things that attracts me to football is the NFL season represents a transition to my favorite part of the year - the colder months. Pre-season in august tells me we won't suffer in the heat much longer. The Browns colors reminds me of the autumn leaves, sweaters and jackets, warm drinks, holidays. Its a comforting sight and football itself reminds me of home even though I didn't get into it that much when I lived there. I am an American, and its always been a part of my zeitgeist if I engaged in it directly or not. Some of these reasons may seem silly, or arbitrary, and I don't pretend to be equal to those who have been with this team forever - but I'm excited to give my support and learn the game through the Clevland Browns. Better late than never!

    I was also realy excited to find this site. I hate reddit but really wanted to find a community to learn the game from a support the team with. So thank you, all those who keep the old net style message board afloat.