Skip to content

When qb's have wr's that can get OPEN, here's what happens

The Browns Board
44 13 2.0k 2
  • @nickers said:

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    That is true.

    Interestingly enough, especially considering the amount of "he's a hardnosed coach who demands professionalism!" posts I've seen on here is how incredibly undisciplined those Lions teams were under him. They were one of the most penalized teams in the NFL, and if I recall had an ongoing problem with getting called for unsportsmanlike penalties. 

  • @nickers said:

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

  • But theres just something about Kevvy... Where you know at some point he's gonna get cute and make that bone headed call and out think himself... I do NOT want to see that version of Kevvy this season...

  • Bubba Ventrone IMO would have a better chance of being named the Browns next head coach than Schwartz. 

    I could see Schwartz being named as the interim HC if Stefanski was hypothetically fired in-season, but long-term I think Ventrone would be more likely. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

    @flugel said:

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

    Not scared here on the WC.  if I’m 57 and doing well at what I do and I’m set do I really want a challenge into my 60s. After some of his past gigs do we really want to assume he hasn’t had opportunities? 

  • My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

  • My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    @gumby73 said:

    My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    The sad part for me is Brandon Staley's parents are my neighbors and they're super nice people.. I hope the guy gets his stuff figured out and makes it...

  • @flugel said:

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

    Not scared here on the WC.  if I’m 57 and doing well at what I do and I’m set do I really want a challenge into my 60s. After some of his past gigs do we really want to assume he hasn’t had opportunities? 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Not scared here on the WC.  if I’m 57 and doing well at what I do and I’m set do I really want a challenge into my 60s. After some of his past gigs do we really want to assume he hasn’t had opportunities? 

    ?  I didn't think you were.  You sum it all up real well.  That was some fun defense to watch.  I cringe when I hear people wanting the Browns to hurry up and fire Stefanski so they can make Schwartz a Head Coach instead of keeping him in his expertise.  That doesn't mean I like Stefanski's play calling or even his passing game all the time.

  • Baker kicked ass again today!!!

  • Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

  • My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    @gumby73 said:

    My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    & dem Charges lose again this afternoon.  🙁  

  • Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    @nickers said:

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

    From NFL.com....  

    "Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

  • @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    @nickers said:

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

    From NFL.com....  

    "Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

    @hoorta said:

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    And that game should have been worse. Closer to 30-17.   Bucs weren't great in the Redzone against Minny, but I figured it was because of the Vikings D-front being decent.  Turns out, they're just not showing up as an efficient redzone rushing offense so far.  That will absolutely be a liability moving forward.  

    dollar-bill.gif

  • @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    @nickers said:

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

    From NFL.com....  

    "Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

    @hoorta said:

    Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

    Eagles/ Saints/ Lions on deck   

  • "Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by wr's getting open" lol

    Meanwhile: (bears' oline is rated #21) (Browns oline rated #2)

    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

    14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Down 5)

    Projected Starting Lineup

    LT Tristan Wirfs – Played RT in 2022
    LG Matt Feiler
    C Ryan Jensen
    RG Cody Mauch – Rookie
    RT Luke Goedeke

    • The Bucs are taking a gamble that arguably the best right tackle in football will transfer that play to the left side, where he played in college. Wirfs is early enough into his career that he should be fine, but it’s certainly a risk.
    • Tampa Bay’s line will now have to ply its trade without Tom Brady and the fastest average time to throw in the NFL making life easier.
    Best Player: Tristan Wirfs
    • Tristan Wirfs allowed just five total pressures all season and has three straight years of elite play at right tackle.
  • Another year of this nonsense?

    If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

  • Another year of this nonsense?

    If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Another year of this nonsense?

    If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

    FWIW, there's only ONE guy here who still follows Baker religiously. And bothers to start threads about him. Hey, Jarvis Landry thread anyone? Hell, maybe we should start a thread about him? FWIW, our former Brown Jabrill Peepers (I thought he might be out of the league by now) actually had SIX tackles against the Dolphins on MNF!!! Lets start a Jabrill thread, what ya say?   😁 😁 😁 

    Unnatural man-crush... Let's see what happens when Maker Bayfield goes up against an Iggles team that has had their mini-bye.   

  • Another year of this nonsense?

    If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Another year of this nonsense?

    If some of you are so obsessed with Baker, become Buccaneer fans. I'm sure there is a TB Bucs version of this message board. 

    That was the local game in my area so I watched it.  Not only are the Bears horrible - at 1 point in the game when Brisker and Jackson were both injured - the Bears didn't have 1 projected starter on the field in the secondary.  BTW, that's the dumb football team that gave All Planet LB Roquan Smith to the Ratbirds for 2 draft picks they'll probably end up trading to smarter teams at a later date if they pan out..  Anyway, I thought I'd check out the game.  In doing so, the commentators said Chase Claypool apologized to the entire team and coaching staff for the lame effort in their opener and vowed to be the player they need him to be a better teammate.  He even contributed a TD reception. Geee, how nice of him!  I feel like I need to take shower for even bringing something like that up.  I guess there was a lot of drama about him not trying.  

    As for Baker, the REAL question is - will he end up being more like Jameis Winston or Tom Brady with unlimited access to the top 2 WRs in the conference? Baker was the guy I expected him to be against one of the worst teams in the league this year.  Baker threw 1 TD pass and led some good drives here and there.  Having said that, after the Bucs scored a TD early in the 3rd quarter - the Bears didn't give up another TD to the Bucs offense. The Bears inexplicably got to within 7 points in the 2nd half.  Their offensive line is just horrible.  Watching the Bears made me really appreciate the overall talent the Browns have today.  

  • Baker looked good yesterday.  I got the Sunday ticket and ended up watching much of the Buc's game.  I have always been a Bucs fan of sorts.  My parents retired to the area and my Dad bought season tickets for their 1st season and held them many years.  I always went to the Browns game when they played in Tampa. I also went to many non-Browns games.

    I don't know if it is so much about the receivers as much as it is about Baker.  I think he has matured and possibly been humbled a bit.  He finally understands that he doesn't need to be "the guy"  He just needs to move the team down the field.

    If he was still in Cleveland, it still wouldn't be working out for him.  He would still be trying to be "the guy" and the fans would still be expecting him to be that.  I think he has finally settled in to a place where he can be comfortable.

  •  Early line is out, I expected this to be -5.5 tops.   I'm sure we'll see some movement closer to that as the weekend approaches. 

    Screenshot_20230918-0846262.thumb.png.6255511bfb0712fe1d2d4856b2902459.png