Elijah Moore, Njoku, other Thoughts
-
Regarding Moore, l’d like to see a little more gumption from the guy. He might be fast but l’m not seeing any juke moves or a dying desire to drive the ball downfield.
A guy like Hunt is kinda like the gold standard for a guy who will fight and scratch for every yard. I’m not feeling that from Moore, like maybe he gives up too early?
We’ve all played guns in a back yard, right? Or cowboys and indians? The game has many names. Like a game with toy weapons that shoot zero projectiles, so there’s room for debate on whether you did or did not get somebody.
Hunt’s the guy who would fist fight you over his belief that you did not get him. Moore likely would not.
Regarding Moore, l’d like to see a little more gumption from the guy. He might be fast but l’m not seeing any juke moves or a dying desire to drive the ball downfield.
That's what I was saying about Moore. We all make mistakes, but that screen pass he bungled just CAN'T happen. You get so few chances for splash plays in the NFL that you HAVE to hit them. The coach gets the perfect call, everyone else does their job perfectly, and...you ran with your head down inside the blockers? The guy has shown zero wiggle or escapabilty. Now, it's EARLY and I'm not burying the poor guy, but if he's getting force-fed the pill, there needs to be a damn reason.
Same thing on that Njoku failed screen. Another splash play our offense sorely needed and Pocic blew it. Think about it, the only big plays we've really had are from a coverage bust on Amari's td and a nice sluggo route (and terrible defense). Other than that...uhhhhh.
Again, it's EARLY, right? The issue I'm having is we play the Ravens, and whenever we play Steelers the Ravens, we'll try to lose, it's what it is. I made a post before the Steelers game illustrating in detail all the things that would go against us and it was oddly prophetic, scarily so. Well guess what, I'm going to make another post about the Ravens and I'm going to be right again. I want the difference to be that we WIN, obviously, in spite of the innumerable aspects of the game that inevitably go against us.
-
Regarding Moore, l’d like to see a little more gumption from the guy. He might be fast but l’m not seeing any juke moves or a dying desire to drive the ball downfield.
That's what I was saying about Moore. We all make mistakes, but that screen pass he bungled just CAN'T happen. You get so few chances for splash plays in the NFL that you HAVE to hit them. The coach gets the perfect call, everyone else does their job perfectly, and...you ran with your head down inside the blockers? The guy has shown zero wiggle or escapabilty. Now, it's EARLY and I'm not burying the poor guy, but if he's getting force-fed the pill, there needs to be a damn reason.
Same thing on that Njoku failed screen. Another splash play our offense sorely needed and Pocic blew it. Think about it, the only big plays we've really had are from a coverage bust on Amari's td and a nice sluggo route (and terrible defense). Other than that...uhhhhh.
Again, it's EARLY, right? The issue I'm having is we play the Ravens, and whenever we play Steelers the Ravens, we'll try to lose, it's what it is. I made a post before the Steelers game illustrating in detail all the things that would go against us and it was oddly prophetic, scarily so. Well guess what, I'm going to make another post about the Ravens and I'm going to be right again. I want the difference to be that we WIN, obviously, in spite of the innumerable aspects of the game that inevitably go against us.
That's what I was saying about Moore. We all make mistakes, but that screen pass he bungled just CAN'T happen. You get so few chances for splash plays in the NFL that you HAVE to hit them. The coach gets the perfect call, everyone else does their job perfectly, and...you ran with your head down inside the blockers? The guy has shown zero wiggle or escapabilty. Now, it's EARLY and I'm not burying the poor guy, but if he's getting force-fed the pill, there needs to be a damn reason.
Same thing on that Njoku failed screen. Another splash play our offense sorely needed and Pocic blew it. Think about it, the only big plays we've really had are from a coverage bust on Amari's td and a nice sluggo route (and terrible defense). Other than that...uhhhhh.
Again, it's EARLY, right? The issue I'm having is we play the Ravens, and whenever we play Steelers the Ravens, we'll try to lose, it's what it is. I made a post before the Steelers game illustrating in detail all the things that would go against us and it was oddly prophetic, scarily so. Well guess what, I'm going to make another post about the Ravens and I'm going to be right again. I want the difference to be that we WIN, obviously, in spite of the innumerable aspects of the game that inevitably go against us.
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
-
Regarding Moore, we can start by feeding him the ball in space and not throwing sideline routes to him or running him to the short side of the field. He had an attitude with the Jets but they let him go…and how many WRs have an attitude and want the ball. So I guess I’m not expecting huge returns from him.
Njoku needs to stress the seams more and be a redzone focal point. Like others have said he contributes now and finally in other phases…run and pass blocking and not derailing drives with bonehead penalties that were hallmark to his first three years in the league.
-
That's what I was saying about Moore. We all make mistakes, but that screen pass he bungled just CAN'T happen. You get so few chances for splash plays in the NFL that you HAVE to hit them. The coach gets the perfect call, everyone else does their job perfectly, and...you ran with your head down inside the blockers? The guy has shown zero wiggle or escapabilty. Now, it's EARLY and I'm not burying the poor guy, but if he's getting force-fed the pill, there needs to be a damn reason.
Same thing on that Njoku failed screen. Another splash play our offense sorely needed and Pocic blew it. Think about it, the only big plays we've really had are from a coverage bust on Amari's td and a nice sluggo route (and terrible defense). Other than that...uhhhhh.
Again, it's EARLY, right? The issue I'm having is we play the Ravens, and whenever we play Steelers the Ravens, we'll try to lose, it's what it is. I made a post before the Steelers game illustrating in detail all the things that would go against us and it was oddly prophetic, scarily so. Well guess what, I'm going to make another post about the Ravens and I'm going to be right again. I want the difference to be that we WIN, obviously, in spite of the innumerable aspects of the game that inevitably go against us.
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh but not much. Mainly because the season is so long and victories within the division are SO hard to get, ESPECIALLY at Pittsburgh. I get that Stefanski wanted the dagger play but he didn't think of the consequences. You're up 3, you're opposition literally has negative 7 yards for the quarter, and basically the only way they will win is if you give them a free td.
So what do you do? You run the ball to keep the clock moving, right? Maybe a draw play to trick them and somehow get the first but the main thing is clock and PROTECTING THE BALL. Anyone who plays Madden video games, ANYONE, knows that if you call a long developing play-action pass against a blitz you will get sacked or fumble the ball. Children playing a video game know this stuff, so when a coach in the effing NFL doesn't know it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Man...I don't get it.
It's like drafting Jed Wills. So these brainiacs REALLY thought taking a RT and converting him to LT was better than taking an established LT? WHY? HOW?
Calm down Jiggins...let's not go nuclear. ?
This is the best team I've ever seen in Cleveland. I really want them to give the fans something special, but we have to be smarter. Taking care of the ball will determine the game Sunday, especially with Watson hurt. Can't do designed runs with him because he doesn't slide. If we take care of the ball, we can win.
-
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh but not much. Mainly because the season is so long and victories within the division are SO hard to get, ESPECIALLY at Pittsburgh. I get that Stefanski wanted the dagger play but he didn't think of the consequences. You're up 3, you're opposition literally has negative 7 yards for the quarter, and basically the only way they will win is if you give them a free td.
So what do you do? You run the ball to keep the clock moving, right? Maybe a draw play to trick them and somehow get the first but the main thing is clock and PROTECTING THE BALL. Anyone who plays Madden video games, ANYONE, knows that if you call a long developing play-action pass against a blitz you will get sacked or fumble the ball. Children playing a video game know this stuff, so when a coach in the effing NFL doesn't know it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Man...I don't get it.
It's like drafting Jed Wills. So these brainiacs REALLY thought taking a RT and converting him to LT was better than taking an established LT? WHY? HOW?
Calm down Jiggins...let's not go nuclear. ?
This is the best team I've ever seen in Cleveland. I really want them to give the fans something special, but we have to be smarter. Taking care of the ball will determine the game Sunday, especially with Watson hurt. Can't do designed runs with him because he doesn't slide. If we take care of the ball, we can win.
I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh but not much. Mainly because the season is so long and victories within the division are SO hard to get, ESPECIALLY at Pittsburgh. I get that Stefanski wanted the dagger play but he didn't think of the consequences. You're up 3, you're opposition literally has negative 7 yards for the quarter, and basically the only way they will win is if you give them a free td.
So what do you do? You run the ball to keep the clock moving, right? Maybe a draw play to trick them and somehow get the first but the main thing is clock and PROTECTING THE BALL. Anyone who plays Madden video games, ANYONE, knows that if you call a long developing play-action pass against a blitz you will get sacked or fumble the ball. Children playing a video game know this stuff, so when a coach in the effing NFL doesn't know it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Man...I don't get it.
It's like drafting Jed Wills. So these brainiacs REALLY thought taking a RT and converting him to LT was better than taking an established LT? WHY? HOW?
Calm down Jiggins...let's not go nuclear. ?
This is the best team I've ever seen in Cleveland. I really want them to give the fans something special, but we have to be smarter. Taking care of the ball will determine the game Sunday, especially with Watson hurt. Can't do designed runs with him because he doesn't slide. If we take care of the ball, we can win.
Well we aren’t alone…did you see the game last night?
Matt LaFluer…doing Stef kind of things. Two tackles out so they spent the first half trying to take deeper shots downfield…although they couldn’t run it and simply nothing worked but still making a vulnerable position do more than what they can do.
I think we hand the Steelers a big time beating in November at home. Although the carryover from that game is losing what I think is the heart and soul of the offense - Chubb. I don’t care about the Division, the playoffs, winning a game in the playoffs I sound like a spoiled fan from a NFL team with Lombardis everywhere but I want us to win the whole dang thing…I think it’s a much harder proposition without Chubb.
Can Watson step up and carry the offense - we will see. This is essentially forcing him to step his game up. I think we can add a third tackle (not really counting Hudson or any other JAG) as insurance. If it’s Hudson or another low level JAG we are going to be counting on DTR and then a street level QB finishing the year…we aren’t winning another game or going anywhere if that happens.
-
That's what I was saying about Moore. We all make mistakes, but that screen pass he bungled just CAN'T happen. You get so few chances for splash plays in the NFL that you HAVE to hit them. The coach gets the perfect call, everyone else does their job perfectly, and...you ran with your head down inside the blockers? The guy has shown zero wiggle or escapabilty. Now, it's EARLY and I'm not burying the poor guy, but if he's getting force-fed the pill, there needs to be a damn reason.
Same thing on that Njoku failed screen. Another splash play our offense sorely needed and Pocic blew it. Think about it, the only big plays we've really had are from a coverage bust on Amari's td and a nice sluggo route (and terrible defense). Other than that...uhhhhh.
Again, it's EARLY, right? The issue I'm having is we play the Ravens, and whenever we play Steelers the Ravens, we'll try to lose, it's what it is. I made a post before the Steelers game illustrating in detail all the things that would go against us and it was oddly prophetic, scarily so. Well guess what, I'm going to make another post about the Ravens and I'm going to be right again. I want the difference to be that we WIN, obviously, in spite of the innumerable aspects of the game that inevitably go against us.
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
The game plan is don’t be one dimensional against the Steelers defense. I can’t even count over the last 24 years how many times we self evaluate our offensive line woes against that team when in that time we’ve had some teams that could run the ball.
The 3-4 with two maniacs on the edge is the perfect recipe to dish out when you have a lead or playing a HC that forgets to run the ball and mix up the play calling.
You and I were both worried about Wills before that game. I’d much rather see him run block or get some help (whether a chip or a reasonable play call) if we are passing downfield.
-
Davante this year is 20M off next year's cap. I get that's just a rumor, but.. No.
The Browns somehow extend EVERYONE yet with a few restructures allegedly have an enormous amount of cap space. You know waaaaay more about the cap than I do, and I know they can't run from the salary cap monster forever.
and I know they can't run from the salary cap monster forever.
-
fight and scratch for every yard. I’m not feeling that from Moore, like maybe he gives up too early
It was fighting for extra yards that caused his fumble las week. He's too little a guy. Unless he needs a yard or two for a first down or TD, then he should just go OB or get down. While he's struggling someone is going to rip the ball out of that little guys arms. - MHO
It was fighting for extra yards that caused his fumble las week. He's too little a guy. Unless he needs a yard or two for a first down or TD, then he should just go OB or get down. While he's struggling someone is going to rip the ball out of that little guys arms. - MHO
Is it so much to want both things in a player? Both tenacity and ball-holding-on-to skills?
-
Regarding Moore, l’d like to see a little more gumption from the guy. He might be fast but l’m not seeing any juke moves or a dying desire to drive the ball downfield.
A guy like Hunt is kinda like the gold standard for a guy who will fight and scratch for every yard. I’m not feeling that from Moore, like maybe he gives up too early?
We’ve all played guns in a back yard, right? Or cowboys and indians? The game has many names. Like a game with toy weapons that shoot zero projectiles, so there’s room for debate on whether you did or did not get somebody.
Hunt’s the guy who would fist fight you over his belief that you did not get him. Moore likely would not.
It's good to have Hunt back. He went from wanting a bigger salary commitment from this team to realizing a market value for a RB wasn't going to do him any favors. I agree with your pov that he'd fight you over his belief if you did not get him. Now let's piggyback the reality he was unemployed at a position he earned AFC Rookie of the Year honors at not very long ago - and what do we have? A talented RB with something to prove AGAIN. This time his volume of reps won't be shared/lessened with the best RB in the league. He'll share a bigger workload with Jerome Ford.
As for Moore, he seems like a guy that could produce with some really good offensive coaching and strategy; which is something his previous team and the Browns haven't really exemplified. I'm hopeful that will improve. When I say something like that about the coaching - I'm also talking about securing the football like a professional football team instead of the youth football approach. That should take place every day in practice from the first OTA/Minicamp right up to and throughout the daily grind of the regular season. Moore and Njoku fumbled on their way to the ground. Watson was holding the ball away from his body for anyone to swipe at. Harrison Bryant has a history of putting the ball on the ground well beyond this season. You play a well coached team like NE - their defensive game plan will hunt the Browns vulnerabilities like that. Pittsburgh did that and it was difference between winning an losing.
It's good to have Hunt back. He went from wanting a bigger salary commitment from this team to realizing a market value for a RB wasn't going to do him any favors. I agree with your pov that he'd fight you over his belief if you did not get him. Now let's piggyback the reality he was unemployed at a position he earned AFC Rookie of the Year honors at not very long ago - and what do we have? A talented RB with something to prove AGAIN. This time his volume of reps won't be shared/lessened with the best RB in the league. He'll share a bigger workload with Jerome Ford.
As for Moore, he seems like a guy that could produce with some really good offensive coaching and strategy; which is something his previous team and the Browns haven't really exemplified. I'm hopeful that will improve. When I say something like that about the coaching - I'm also talking about securing the football like a professional football team instead of the youth football approach. That should take place every day in practice from the first OTA/Minicamp right up to and throughout the daily grind of the regular season. Moore and Njoku fumbled on their way to the ground. Watson was holding the ball away from his body for anyone to swipe at. Harrison Bryant has a history of putting the ball on the ground well beyond this season. You play a well coached team like NE - their defensive game plan will hunt the Browns vulnerabilities like that. Pittsburgh did that and it was difference between winning an losing.
I was honestly surprised and really pleased with how Hunt played, like he was arguably in mid-season form, and if he lost a step l couldn’t tell.
I’m intrigued by Ford too. He was a UC guy when they had some good teams here. He’s a tough dude.
I’m hopeful for good things from Moore. You can tell there’s a real interest in getting him involved in the mix, but l’m pulling for better results.
-
All true and needed to be said. I went skipping record on "I'd like to see a game plan for TJ Watt for once." Should it be a red flag that Stefanski still doesn't know anything about him? Maybe it's just a strange coincidence; but the 1 time the Browns seemed prepared for TJ Watt was their playoff victory at Pittsburgh that Stefanski couldn't attend due to COVID. That might also be because it was one of the rare times poor Jack Conklin was healthy enough to suit up against him without battling 2-3 injuries to do so...
I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh but not much. Mainly because the season is so long and victories within the division are SO hard to get, ESPECIALLY at Pittsburgh. I get that Stefanski wanted the dagger play but he didn't think of the consequences. You're up 3, you're opposition literally has negative 7 yards for the quarter, and basically the only way they will win is if you give them a free td.
So what do you do? You run the ball to keep the clock moving, right? Maybe a draw play to trick them and somehow get the first but the main thing is clock and PROTECTING THE BALL. Anyone who plays Madden video games, ANYONE, knows that if you call a long developing play-action pass against a blitz you will get sacked or fumble the ball. Children playing a video game know this stuff, so when a coach in the effing NFL doesn't know it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Man...I don't get it.
It's like drafting Jed Wills. So these brainiacs REALLY thought taking a RT and converting him to LT was better than taking an established LT? WHY? HOW?
Calm down Jiggins...let's not go nuclear. ?
This is the best team I've ever seen in Cleveland. I really want them to give the fans something special, but we have to be smarter. Taking care of the ball will determine the game Sunday, especially with Watson hurt. Can't do designed runs with him because he doesn't slide. If we take care of the ball, we can win.
I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh but not much. Mainly because the season is so long and victories within the division are SO hard to get, ESPECIALLY at Pittsburgh. I get that Stefanski wanted the dagger play but he didn't think of the consequences. You're up 3, you're opposition literally has negative 7 yards for the quarter, and basically the only way they will win is if you give them a free td.
So what do you do? You run the ball to keep the clock moving, right? Maybe a draw play to trick them and somehow get the first but the main thing is clock and PROTECTING THE BALL. Anyone who plays Madden video games, ANYONE, knows that if you call a long developing play-action pass against a blitz you will get sacked or fumble the ball. Children playing a video game know this stuff, so when a coach in the effing NFL doesn't know it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Man...I don't get it.
It's like drafting Jed Wills. So these brainiacs REALLY thought taking a RT and converting him to LT was better than taking an established LT? WHY? HOW?
Calm down Jiggins...let's not go nuclear. ?
This is the best team I've ever seen in Cleveland. I really want them to give the fans something special, but we have to be smarter. Taking care of the ball will determine the game Sunday, especially with Watson hurt. Can't do designed runs with him because he doesn't slide. If we take care of the ball, we can win.
? You had me at "I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh." I'm glad you didn't hold any of that stuff hostage above.
I don't have a lot of confidence in the offensive brain-trust in terms of: their choices of situational personnel, how to attack a defense with the pass, how to beat the blitz instead of inviting it, careless approach to ball security fundamentals, limited receiving route diversity, developing the timing with QBs (and the Receivers/Oline), their ability to improve route adjustments when the QB is under pressure, how to utilize formations to make things easier. Stefanski only worked for 1 NFL offense prior to Cleveland and I think that outweighs the length of time he did so in terms of his ability to process what's unfolding on the field and attack it efficiently. The more different experiences a coach can draw from - the more ideas he has in different situations that need a quick response from him.
I'm hoping many of the things I mentioned are more because the season is only 3 games old. There's nothing worse than thinking if you say you can't put the ball on the ground any more in lieu of working on the fundamentals that secure the football. If a team has to keep saying that after games - you know they're doing nothing in practice daily to improve it.
-
It was fighting for extra yards that caused his fumble las week. He's too little a guy. Unless he needs a yard or two for a first down or TD, then he should just go OB or get down. While he's struggling someone is going to rip the ball out of that little guys arms. - MHO
Is it so much to want both things in a player? Both tenacity and ball-holding-on-to skills?
Is it so much to want both things in a player? Both tenacity and ball-holding-on-to skills?
Of course not. But if that / a little guy gets grabbed and stood up by one defender, and another guy can use both hands to try and rip the ball out...well, the little guy is definitely at a disadvantage. And that's what happened to Moore. The second guy did not have to concern himself with the tackling part of the equation, he was able to just focus on ripping the ball out. Now you might say, Then put both arms on the ball to protect it. But he was in the grasp of a defender and didn't have his other arm available. I was hoping that the ref would say that his forward progress was stopped (he was actually being forced backwards a little bit by the defender) and he was considered 'down' before the ball got ripped out. But obviously that was not called. This is why I don't like little guys struggling for an extra yard (unless it's needed for a 1st down or TD). They could get injured or have the ball pulled out.
-
Is it so much to want both things in a player? Both tenacity and ball-holding-on-to skills?
Of course not. But if that / a little guy gets grabbed and stood up by one defender, and another guy can use both hands to try and rip the ball out...well, the little guy is definitely at a disadvantage. And that's what happened to Moore. The second guy did not have to concern himself with the tackling part of the equation, he was able to just focus on ripping the ball out. Now you might say, Then put both arms on the ball to protect it. But he was in the grasp of a defender and didn't have his other arm available. I was hoping that the ref would say that his forward progress was stopped (he was actually being forced backwards a little bit by the defender) and he was considered 'down' before the ball got ripped out. But obviously that was not called. This is why I don't like little guys struggling for an extra yard (unless it's needed for a 1st down or TD). They could get injured or have the ball pulled out.
Of course not. But if that / a little guy gets grabbed and stood up by one defender, and another guy can use both hands to try and rip the ball out...well, the little guy is definitely at a disadvantage. And that's what happened to Moore. The second guy did not have to concern himself with the tackling part of the equation, he was able to just focus on ripping the ball out. Now you might say, Then put both arms on the ball to protect it. But he was in the grasp of a defender and didn't have his other arm available. I was hoping that the ref would say that his forward progress was stopped (he was actually being forced backwards a little bit by the defender) and he was considered 'down' before the ball got ripped out. But obviously that was not called. This is why I don't like little guys struggling for an extra yard (unless it's needed for a 1st down or TD). They could get injured or have the ball pulled out.
To your point, there was some effort on Moore's part to secure the football. Looked to me like forward progress had already been stopped. It would have been nice if the officials blew that play dead instead of the nice catch and run Cooper had going on down the sideline for what could have been a pretty easy TD for him.
-
Yes yes yes on the Browns needing to stress how important it is for them not to turn the ball over
Turning the ball over can and has already negated a fantastic Browns defense.
-
I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh but not much. Mainly because the season is so long and victories within the division are SO hard to get, ESPECIALLY at Pittsburgh. I get that Stefanski wanted the dagger play but he didn't think of the consequences. You're up 3, you're opposition literally has negative 7 yards for the quarter, and basically the only way they will win is if you give them a free td.
So what do you do? You run the ball to keep the clock moving, right? Maybe a draw play to trick them and somehow get the first but the main thing is clock and PROTECTING THE BALL. Anyone who plays Madden video games, ANYONE, knows that if you call a long developing play-action pass against a blitz you will get sacked or fumble the ball. Children playing a video game know this stuff, so when a coach in the effing NFL doesn't know it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Man...I don't get it.
It's like drafting Jed Wills. So these brainiacs REALLY thought taking a RT and converting him to LT was better than taking an established LT? WHY? HOW?
Calm down Jiggins...let's not go nuclear. ?
This is the best team I've ever seen in Cleveland. I really want them to give the fans something special, but we have to be smarter. Taking care of the ball will determine the game Sunday, especially with Watson hurt. Can't do designed runs with him because he doesn't slide. If we take care of the ball, we can win.
? You had me at "I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh." I'm glad you didn't hold any of that stuff hostage above.
I don't have a lot of confidence in the offensive brain-trust in terms of: their choices of situational personnel, how to attack a defense with the pass, how to beat the blitz instead of inviting it, careless approach to ball security fundamentals, limited receiving route diversity, developing the timing with QBs (and the Receivers/Oline), their ability to improve route adjustments when the QB is under pressure, how to utilize formations to make things easier. Stefanski only worked for 1 NFL offense prior to Cleveland and I think that outweighs the length of time he did so in terms of his ability to process what's unfolding on the field and attack it efficiently. The more different experiences a coach can draw from - the more ideas he has in different situations that need a quick response from him.
I'm hoping many of the things I mentioned are more because the season is only 3 games old. There's nothing worse than thinking if you say you can't put the ball on the ground any more in lieu of working on the fundamentals that secure the football. If a team has to keep saying that after games - you know they're doing nothing in practice daily to improve it.
You had me at "I've calmed down a little bit since Pittsburgh." I'm glad you didn't hold any of that stuff hostage above.
You guys all know me by now. I'm an emotional wreck and I say a lot of trash, but I never target people on this board and I try to make fun of myself as much as possible.
Weird stuff happens against the Ravens and Steelers, we all know that by now. Acting like the history of our failures doesn't have input on these games is silly, as evidenced by the previous Steelers game. THIS game will have similar wonky crap, go ahead and book it. Whether it's backbreaking holding calls, PI's, fumbles we don't get, blocked punts...expect it all. We will have to GRIND out a victory and that's IF Watson plays, or plays near enough to 100% to throw the ball effectively.
We will not win with DTR, I'm confident in that, not without defensive tds. The Watson shoulder could be nothing, but if my dude CAN'T throw the ball, something is very wrong. Sounds to me like "dead shoulder", which is a generic term for a deep bruise that takes forever to heal. If Watson does play, we can't have designed runs, and he needs to figure out how to slide. Perhaps this is a wakeup call.
It's a huge game, but if Watson doesn't play, I'm fine with it. It's a long seas and a loss would certainly kill us, but it's such a long season I'd hate to lose Watson for more time. Maybe DTR plays well enough and our defense wins it? Problem is, our defense is due for a reality check. Don't get me wrong, we're VERY good, but we're not "give up 6 points a game" good. We'll have to score 24 to win. I feel it.
-
Now Njoku's questionable for Sunday. Was he doing bong hits and burned his face?
-
Yes yes yes on the Browns needing to stress how important it is for them not to turn the ball over
Turning the ball over can and has already negated a fantastic Browns defense.
how important it is for them not to turn the ball over
Yup. We're minus 5 in turnovers. I believe that we've had 8 fumbles in these 3 games.
-
Regarding Moore, l’d like to see a little more gumption from the guy. He might be fast but l’m not seeing any juke moves or a dying desire to drive the ball downfield.
A guy like Hunt is kinda like the gold standard for a guy who will fight and scratch for every yard. I’m not feeling that from Moore, like maybe he gives up too early?
We’ve all played guns in a back yard, right? Or cowboys and indians? The game has many names. Like a game with toy weapons that shoot zero projectiles, so there’s room for debate on whether you did or did not get somebody.
Hunt’s the guy who would fist fight you over his belief that you did not get him. Moore likely would not.
It's good to have Hunt back. He went from wanting a bigger salary commitment from this team to realizing a market value for a RB wasn't going to do him any favors. I agree with your pov that he'd fight you over his belief if you did not get him. Now let's piggyback the reality he was unemployed at a position he earned AFC Rookie of the Year honors at not very long ago - and what do we have? A talented RB with something to prove AGAIN. This time his volume of reps won't be shared/lessened with the best RB in the league. He'll share a bigger workload with Jerome Ford.
As for Moore, he seems like a guy that could produce with some really good offensive coaching and strategy; which is something his previous team and the Browns haven't really exemplified. I'm hopeful that will improve. When I say something like that about the coaching - I'm also talking about securing the football like a professional football team instead of the youth football approach. That should take place every day in practice from the first OTA/Minicamp right up to and throughout the daily grind of the regular season. Moore and Njoku fumbled on their way to the ground. Watson was holding the ball away from his body for anyone to swipe at. Harrison Bryant has a history of putting the ball on the ground well beyond this season. You play a well coached team like NE - their defensive game plan will hunt the Browns vulnerabilities like that. Pittsburgh did that and it was difference between winning an losing.
It's good to have Hunt back.
Although I think Ford is talented, I think Hunt should get the most playing time. I wasn't a fan of them coming out and saying Ford is the featured back. Hunt is a dual threat and probably would be better in this new offense, and also probably better in pass protection. Ford should be the change of pace back.
-
It's good to have Hunt back.
Although I think Ford is talented, I think Hunt should get the most playing time. I wasn't a fan of them coming out and saying Ford is the featured back. Hunt is a dual threat and probably would be better in this new offense, and also probably better in pass protection. Ford should be the change of pace back.
Although I think Ford is talented, I think Hunt should get the most playing time. I wasn't a fan of them coming out and saying Ford is the featured back. Hunt is a dual threat and probably would be better in this new offense, and also probably better in pass protection. Ford should be the change of pace back.
I think the reason the Browns said that is because they know they can't just give Hunt the entire workload before he plays himself into game shape. Too much too soon is just asking for a significant soft tissue injury/muscle pull that the Browns can't handle at this time. My guess is you'll see a lot more of Hunt than you saw in last year's rotation in the very near future.
Like you, I want to see someone earn it. I agree Hunt is better at pass pro; but 2 of Ford's 3 TDs are pass receptions. I think Ford has some jets this offense needs to tap; while I got excited to see the older version of Hunt is back. My age is showing here but I'd love to see them in an old pro set. If we used them like the TB Bucs used Alstott and Dunn - I don't think we'd have too many people complaining.
-
Although I think Ford is talented, I think Hunt should get the most playing time. I wasn't a fan of them coming out and saying Ford is the featured back. Hunt is a dual threat and probably would be better in this new offense, and also probably better in pass protection. Ford should be the change of pace back.
I think the reason the Browns said that is because they know they can't just give Hunt the entire workload before he plays himself into game shape. Too much too soon is just asking for a significant soft tissue injury/muscle pull that the Browns can't handle at this time. My guess is you'll see a lot more of Hunt than you saw in last year's rotation in the very near future.
Like you, I want to see someone earn it. I agree Hunt is better at pass pro; but 2 of Ford's 3 TDs are pass receptions. I think Ford has some jets this offense needs to tap; while I got excited to see the older version of Hunt is back. My age is showing here but I'd love to see them in an old pro set. If we used them like the TB Bucs used Alstott and Dunn - I don't think we'd have too many people complaining.
they can't just give Hunt the entire workload before he plays himself into game shape.
When the game starts, he'll have been on the team for a week and a half. However, he was on the team last year. And Ford didn't do much all preseason as he was hurt with a hamstring. Most all of the preseason game reps went to Felton and John Kelly. (wasn't the preseason at RB just to have some guys play the position so the OL could practice blocking? I mean, none of the guys that played are on the team)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
