Skip to content

1883 - the movie series

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
4 2 535 1
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #1

    If this is already a thread, I'll delete it.

    I started watching "Yellowston" - at times I got annoyed with it, and

    fast forwarded. I watched all the ones I recorded, due to recuperating from

    knee replacement surgery.

       But 1883 is fascinating. The acting draws you into to just watching history take place.

    There's love, death, violence, courage, and more philosophy about life and the times they were in ...

    than you can figure on.

       The script is written so real. There's funny stuff at times, a good lot of heartbreak, adventure.... some sex...

    It's based on history, apparently - it's adventure and action and so much more...I recorded all of them - and when I have watched all of them, I believe I will start from the beginning and watch them all over again.

    Their jouney out to Texas to a wagon train.... tragedy, violent bandits, cattle driving, cowboys, real life kind of interaction between

    all the players.

      What is really special, is at the end of each one, I believe - is a "behind the scenes" interviews from the actors about their characters.

    Sam Elliot is a dynamic cowboy. He just is.  And yes, there is philosophy about life and death and figuring out next moves, and major decisions and....

       I dearly love this stuff. It's an amazing adventure.

    I would give it an "A+"

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_(TV_series)

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I watched it and I certainly understand the value of the most likely accurate depiction of the wagon trains etc etc etc. That being said I thought it was painfully slow and depressing, ironically probably just how the journey West actually was. I personally found the female lead / narrator to be embarrassingly vapid. Also I don't actually have audio examples of the accents from the time period, but it occurred to me she using a pretty broad southern accent like Moe Howard did in the colonel Beauregard episode.

    On the other hand I usually love Sam no matter what role he plays. Also impressed by the country singers acting.

    Speaking of Yellowstone I have distressed that the upcoming changes have the reluctance of Costner to work on the series anymore. Matthew McConaughey is not nearly as charismatic. And I never really did get next to the Jimmy character who I hear will have a bigger footprint in the new series in texas.

    WSS

  • I watched it and I certainly understand the value of the most likely accurate depiction of the wagon trains etc etc etc. That being said I thought it was painfully slow and depressing, ironically probably just how the journey West actually was. I personally found the female lead / narrator to be embarrassingly vapid. Also I don't actually have audio examples of the accents from the time period, but it occurred to me she using a pretty broad southern accent like Moe Howard did in the colonel Beauregard episode.

    On the other hand I usually love Sam no matter what role he plays. Also impressed by the country singers acting.

    Speaking of Yellowstone I have distressed that the upcoming changes have the reluctance of Costner to work on the series anymore. Matthew McConaughey is not nearly as charismatic. And I never really did get next to the Jimmy character who I hear will have a bigger footprint in the new series in texas.

    WSS

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @westside-steve said:

    I watched it and I certainly understand the value of the most likely accurate depiction of the wagon trains etc etc etc. That being said I thought it was painfully slow and depressing, ironically probably just how the journey West actually was. I personally found the female lead / narrator to be embarrassingly vapid. Also I don't actually have audio examples of the accents from the time period, but it occurred to me she using a pretty broad southern accent like Moe Howard did in the colonel Beauregard episode.

    On the other hand I usually love Sam no matter what role he plays. Also impressed by the country singers acting.

    Speaking of Yellowstone I have distressed that the upcoming changes have the reluctance of Costner to work on the series anymore. Matthew McConaughey is not nearly as charismatic. And I never really did get next to the Jimmy character who I hear will have a bigger footprint in the new series in texas.

    WSS

    True - some of it is very depressing, it was a legitimate violent/tragic part of their trip/ They certainly didn't sugarcoat it - I watched the next to last one - it is seriously violent and tragic. And, Elsa does that that accent - maybe she had had a southern bell for a teacher when she was young....Sam is amazing - watching the actors talk about the roles they play after the segment is over, it's hard to imagine he was Sam, American Indian. They used legit costumes and language...

    When we went out west - around the Badlands, was Tatanka visitors center.

    You watch a video about  Coster - how he wanted to build a hotel there, but he fell in love with the dramatic history of those times. His/her costumers from "Dances With Wolves" , a lot of stuff.

    What was really great, was a true young guy - a legit Dakota Indian - who gave a presentation about those tomes - he said the violence came from both sides, both sides were wrong.... it was amazing.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #4

    ok, finished watching them all.

    My intrigue wore off a bit - the tragedy and sadness went way too far, imho.

    The mini-series decided to go for broke with pain, suffering, violence and tears.

    kinda ruined it for me.

    ah well, it was fun up to the last few....