Watson's shoulder
-
I think the only collateral damage with all the eventual change could be Jim Schwartz. But admittedly after the past two years I’m pretty easy to please on that side of the ball. I believe the defense loves to play for the guy though.
And I know Bubba is respected and he wouldn’t meddle with the offense - we could do worse or be left with worse
I’m still trying to figure out Stefanski, is he a HC that wants to be an OC?
Or is he an OC that pretends to be an HC?
Does anyone look at Alex VanPelt during the game and think he looks like a janitor waiting at the time clock for his shift to come to an end?
I’m still trying to figure out Stefanski, is he a HC that wants to be an OC?
Or is he an OC that pretends to be an HC?
Does anyone look at Alex VanPelt during the game and think he looks like a janitor waiting at the time clock for his shift to come to an end?
Not sure, but if I ever did my job like he has - I would completely understand my demotion to Broom Closet Coordinator.
I NEVER understood why an Assistant Coach suddenly getting his DREAM job of Head Coach would only want to control freak the offense to the extent a former QB and current OC Alex Van Pelt can only give input only after Paul Depodesta's Poindexters spewing Analytics overfeed have been heard and prioritized. Again, the 1 and only time this team looked to Alex Van Pelt to call the plays at PITTSBURGH in the post season - the Browns scored 48 points. Hoorta always intercepts that and Budweiser Frogs in a "yeah but" they picked off Roethlisberger 4 times and recovered a fumble in the end zone. I said, our QB wasn't getting intercepted so he helped the Browns punctuate a lot of short fields with TDs. 3 TDs and 0 INTs in a playoff game AT PITTSBURGH doesn't suck on a night the Browns were up 48-29 under 2 minutes to go. Yeah, Pitt got their TD and 2 point conversion with about 80 seconds left to bring their score up to make the game look a lot more competitive than it was all night.
I've see some old documentaries about Bill Parcells where he was up every one of his Coordinator's asses on game day especially the best DC in the game at the time Bill Belichick. That's a HC. Head Coaches can be bastards; but when it all plays out and your team wins because of it - you never stop cherishing your memories of what they did for you in the game you love.
Stefanski? Nobody REALLY knows why he was Depodesta's favorite candidate in 2 different Head Coach searches. My guess is the criteria was he agreed to just focus on the offense and prioritize the input from the Poindexters with the situational percentages instead of looking at the film that provides the WHY behind each percentage. Saying TJ Watt is talented and we need to block him doesn't assure me this franchise has ever looked at enough film of the guy showing the best ways to possibly do so. It's almost like saying we have to limit the turnovers without working on the ball security fundamentals every day in practice. I say such a thing when I saw Watson running with the ball away from his body in the arm that wasn't closest to the sideline. Other guys like Njoku and Bryant have ball security issues as well.
The last 2 years prior to upgrading the Coordinators for Special Teams and Defense - the Browns had repetitive issues with too many men on the field when teams were going to punt to us or on 3rd or 4th and 4 situations where the Browns gave opponents 1st downs instead of getting themselves off the field from the change of possession the defense worked hard to earn. The same mistakes repeated no matter how many times Stefanski said we need to be more organized without putting this stuff in your practices. Smart teams practice situational football (instead of studying statistical formulas like A2 + B2 = ABBA).
Anyway, sorry for the longwinded blow hard and the delay in responding to your post CD.
-
My cousin's wife is in Almost Famous as an extra, she's still a member of SAG.
He's also really good in Boogie Nights.
That's pretty cool about your cousin's wife.
Hoffman was in so many movies I feel like I forget more of them than the ones I remember. I had to go back into my post yesterday and add in Moneyball. After mentioning him as Art Howe it only made sense I left out Moneyball.
FWIW, we had a really fun neighborhood back in the day. Another family that eventually moved to Philly, used to bring in "Fresh Air Kids" from indigent Urban areas. To this day, I don't know how true this is but back in my 20's a guy from the old neighborhood said "Do you remember that kid Eddie that visited the Daughertys one summer?" I was like, yeah who doesn't? His favorite saying when he got on base in pick-up games was "you white boys like to watch black people steal." You know where this is going and again it's never been confirmed. I think I resisted trying because the coincidence of it all was pretty freakin cool. It was allegedly Eddie Murphy. He was about the same age as my older brother at the time; and nobody had any idea what he'd make of himself way back when he wasn't even almost famous. The only stuff we thought about back then was when and where we were playing ball next.
-
-
I hear ya. We need to get our minds off this hot mess.
Why haven't we traded for another qb? There has to be something we can do, right? Brissett ain't playing...can we bring him back? Watching PJ play against the 49's sounds like as much fun as getting mule kicked in the nuts over and over while watching "The Drive" on ESPN in an endless loop.
Why haven't we traded for another qb? There has to be something we can do, right? Brissett ain't playing...can we bring him back? Watching PJ play against the 49's sounds like as much fun as getting mule kicked in the nuts over and over while watching "The Drive" on ESPN in an endless loop.
Brissett starting now would be hope. But the niners and eagles are the only two unbeaten teams? Njoku won't be missed much, but Bitonio out...very bad. But Michael Dunn isn't any slouch, either.
The niners dline is.....
-
He was incredible! Thanks Neo! You can tell the Browns are doing what they always do best when we'd rather talk about Hoffman the weekend of a game...
Well, if you're a true Browns fan and football fan in general, you know what the chances are the Browns win a game against a team like the 49ers. The Browns have some work to do if they want to convince people they deserve otherwise. Still not totally convinced the culture has changed. And I think the "culture" change has to take place with the "fans" as well as the team. I get it with the Watson injury, I just don't think the anger is being channeled in the right place. It's easy to hate on the overpaid player especially if it's Watson rather than the people who overpaid him.
And why not Hoffman, that whole scene had me laughing my ass off?
-
He was incredible! Thanks Neo! You can tell the Browns are doing what they always do best when we'd rather talk about Hoffman the weekend of a game...
Well, if you're a true Browns fan and football fan in general, you know what the chances are the Browns win a game against a team like the 49ers. The Browns have some work to do if they want to convince people they deserve otherwise. Still not totally convinced the culture has changed. And I think the "culture" change has to take place with the "fans" as well as the team. I get it with the Watson injury, I just don't think the anger is being channeled in the right place. It's easy to hate on the overpaid player especially if it's Watson rather than the people who overpaid him.
And why not Hoffman, that whole scene had me laughing my ass off?
Well, if you're a true Browns fan and football fan in general, you know what the chances are the Browns win a game against a team like the 49ers. The Browns have some work to do if they want to convince people they deserve otherwise. Still not totally convinced the culture has changed. And I think the "culture" change has to take place with the "fans" as well as the team. I get it with the Watson injury, I just don't think the anger is being channeled in the right place. It's easy to hate on the overpaid player especially if it's Watson rather than the people who overpaid him.
And why not Hoffman, that whole scene had me laughing my ass off?
Me too man!
-
Well, if you're a true Browns fan and football fan in general, you know what the chances are the Browns win a game against a team like the 49ers. The Browns have some work to do if they want to convince people they deserve otherwise. Still not totally convinced the culture has changed. And I think the "culture" change has to take place with the "fans" as well as the team. I get it with the Watson injury, I just don't think the anger is being channeled in the right place. It's easy to hate on the overpaid player especially if it's Watson rather than the people who overpaid him.
And why not Hoffman, that whole scene had me laughing my ass off?
Me too man!
-
-
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
-
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
Yeah...but it's different now. We actually have a host of good players. They just don't get to play because they're either suspended or injured. This year it's Chubb, Conklin, Watson and now Bitonio. In years past it didn't matter if our players were healthy or not. They mostly all stunk.
-
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
Yeah...but it's different now. We actually have a host of good players. They just don't get to play because they're either suspended or injured. This year it's Chubb, Conklin, Watson and now Bitonio. In years past it didn't matter if our players were healthy or not. They mostly all stunk.
Yeah...but it's different now. We actually have a host of good players. They just don't get to play because they're either suspended or injured. This year it's Chubb, Conklin, Watson and now Bitonio. In years past it didn't matter if our players were healthy or not. They mostly all stunk.
Is it?
We've had Chubb, Bitonio, Garrett, Ward, Teller, etc here for years now. The same people crying that we should have kept the last QB seem to forget that we had three of four "lost" seasons with him too. 2020 looks more and more like a complete aberration.
Do you ever just shrug your shoulders and think that it doesn't matter what is done, who is brought in, that this team is just destined to be a non-factor for eternity? I do, at times.
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
-
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
In retrospect, we had some horrendous rosters from 2000-2019. Hell I knew some of those teams were bad when the season started. And Most of those years a mediocre season was a win. Aside from maybe 2021, I believe this is the best roster we’ve had - the concerning part our QB isn’t showing Top 8 form which he once had and we are probably going to be weaker overall next season when the cap restrictions come into play and we have to make tough choices (who stays and who goes).
I held this year to be if not now than when.
Maybe we find the next Brock Purdy in the 7th round and then Next Shanahan when the inevitable happens with our HC…even then we still have the toxic owner….sounds like I’m talking myself into mediocrity.
-
Yeah...but it's different now. We actually have a host of good players. They just don't get to play because they're either suspended or injured. This year it's Chubb, Conklin, Watson and now Bitonio. In years past it didn't matter if our players were healthy or not. They mostly all stunk.
Is it?
We've had Chubb, Bitonio, Garrett, Ward, Teller, etc here for years now. The same people crying that we should have kept the last QB seem to forget that we had three of four "lost" seasons with him too. 2020 looks more and more like a complete aberration.
Do you ever just shrug your shoulders and think that it doesn't matter what is done, who is brought in, that this team is just destined to be a non-factor for eternity? I do, at times.
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
Voo-doo people eh? (me and a couple buddies)
-
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
The good news is I'm laughing a little harder than I'm bellyaching thanks to the outrageous but never boring sense of humor in here. To your point, we should be a lot better at this as fans considering all the education and experience we've had with how to sink your Titanic (I mean franchise) into Lake Erie. If the Cleveland Browns ever hold a seminar in how to hire Management positions - RUN!
Other than all that - what's the FREAKIN problem folks? This game today ain't gonna be pretty but it might be Purdy... Having said that, all pleasant surprises are definitely welcome...
-
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
Voo-doo people eh? (me and a couple buddies)
-
Yeah...but it's different now. We actually have a host of good players. They just don't get to play because they're either suspended or injured. This year it's Chubb, Conklin, Watson and now Bitonio. In years past it didn't matter if our players were healthy or not. They mostly all stunk.
Is it?
We've had Chubb, Bitonio, Garrett, Ward, Teller, etc here for years now. The same people crying that we should have kept the last QB seem to forget that we had three of four "lost" seasons with him too. 2020 looks more and more like a complete aberration.
Do you ever just shrug your shoulders and think that it doesn't matter what is done, who is brought in, that this team is just destined to be a non-factor for eternity? I do, at times.
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
Is it?
We've had Chubb, Bitonio, Garrett, Ward, Teller, etc here for years now. The same people crying that we should have kept the last QB seem to forget that we had three of four "lost" seasons with him too. 2020 looks more and more like a complete aberration.
Do you ever just shrug your shoulders and think that it doesn't matter what is done, who is brought in, that this team is just destined to be a non-factor for eternity? I do, at times.
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
I agree, 2020 was a COVID aberration
It gets me that for the past 4 years or so, people have been saying it’s the most talented team we’ve had since 1999.
And they STILL can’t win. Maybe, just maybe, it’s the coach and or owner -
I like how people on here are acting like lost, mediocre seasons are a new thing as a Browns fan. ?
The good news is I'm laughing a little harder than I'm bellyaching thanks to the outrageous but never boring sense of humor in here. To your point, we should be a lot better at this as fans considering all the education and experience we've had with how to sink your Titanic (I mean franchise) into Lake Erie. If the Cleveland Browns ever hold a seminar in how to hire Management positions - RUN!
Other than all that - what's the FREAKIN problem folks? This game today ain't gonna be pretty but it might be Purdy... Having said that, all pleasant surprises are definitely welcome...
To your point, we should be a lot better at this as fans considering all the education and experience we've had with how to sink your Titanic (I mean franchise) into Lake Erie. If the Cleveland Browns ever hold a seminar in how to hire Management positions - RUN!
Oh no, in fact do the opposite, go to the seminar and do what George did. ?
-
Yeah...but it's different now. We actually have a host of good players. They just don't get to play because they're either suspended or injured. This year it's Chubb, Conklin, Watson and now Bitonio. In years past it didn't matter if our players were healthy or not. They mostly all stunk.
Is it?
We've had Chubb, Bitonio, Garrett, Ward, Teller, etc here for years now. The same people crying that we should have kept the last QB seem to forget that we had three of four "lost" seasons with him too. 2020 looks more and more like a complete aberration.
Do you ever just shrug your shoulders and think that it doesn't matter what is done, who is brought in, that this team is just destined to be a non-factor for eternity? I do, at times.
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
Is it?
We've had Chubb, Bitonio, Garrett, Ward, Teller, etc here for years now. The same people crying that we should have kept the last QB seem to forget that we had three of four "lost" seasons with him too. 2020 looks more and more like a complete aberration.
Do you ever just shrug your shoulders and think that it doesn't matter what is done, who is brought in, that this team is just destined to be a non-factor for eternity? I do, at times.
I honestly feel like some Steelers fan with an expertise in voodoo put a curse on this team the evening after the Browns destroyed the Steelers 51-0 to open the 1989 season. It would explain sooooo much. Think about the direction of both teams ever since that game. ?
I went from REALLY wanting us to draft Baker to eventually aligning myself with the thinking/reality the Browns needed to upgrade to an elite QB (not that they grow on trees). I don't regret that change. Having said that, I think some of the criticism (beyond his immaturity as a Team Leader) has been unfair. I'll never agree with anyone who thinks he was awful here. He went to a Jimmy Haslam business that was a combined 1-31 in the 2016 and 2017 seasons. In his rookie year, the team began just as winless going 0-1-1 and losing 14-0 to the Jets until the 1st time he got the chance to play. He erased the 2nd quarter deficit to the Jets and led the team to an easy win. All of the same teammates that were struggling well into the 2nd quarter - inexplicably started playing so much better the second he took the field. The team went 7-7 in the games he played. In the process, he broke a rookie TD passes record with 27 despite only playing in 13.5 games. The next year, we lost both starting tackle vrs TN in the opener the year their TE called the Browns the "Paper Champions". 1 or weeks later, the Browns lost one of the backup starters at Tackle. Quick question: has anything changed at OT today? Conklin with a HUGE contract is hurt again. Jed Wills continues to rank near the very bottom of NFL Left Tackles according to PFF while replays show us he couldn't even start in Canada.
Let's pretend for 1 second that the Browns drafted Josh Allen by accident I want a show of hands at who REALLY believe Jimmy Haslam's business had the right coaches in place to develop the lad the way Buffalo did it. Who's got the gonads? Week 1 against the Bengals the Browns were running the option with a QB that isn't 6'5" 240lbs like Josh Allen. He ended up getting hurt running the ball. What was this wonderful offense that the Browns were going to have in place that would fit Watson's skillset like a glove? Ready? There wasn't one designed. It's been wing it + fling it + fuck it.
Under this FO & Owner - last year we entered the season without talent at the Defense Tackles spot which of course put all our 1st string LBers on IR. THIS YEAR, we have the pleasure of watching an offense without a playbook/offensive design with very weak effort and efficiency at the Offensive Tackle positions. Doesn't that mean Jed Wills was a horrible pick when his best year was his rookie season? Spare me the excuses folks if Baker gets 0.
Be honest, are we the much better team we thought we be just by simply upgrading the skillset to Watson? I gave you the reasons why above. The Browns made ZERO plans to accommodate him unless you want to tell me how smart it was to extend the always injured Jack Conklin while Jed Wills is your plan at the blindside tackle position. Smart business plan? Oft-injured players don't help a team in desperate need of continuity.
So, the Browns record when Baker arrived after the Browns went 1-31 in 2016 and 2017 is 32-32-1. My take is I appreciated that he and Jarvis Landry CPR'd a pulse back into the franchise as a rookie. I also like his TD to INT ratio of 26:8 in the playoff year 2020. Not elite but I dare say good in a place that has longed for good since Jimmy took over. Kyle Shanahan was the best OC in the Haslam era but the FO interfered with his control back when they broke a rule calling down to the sideline during a game. You don't say! In essence, while it might look like QBs have been a symptom of the problem here - the cancer killing this franchise is Front Office working under an owner without balls.
The Browns were 7-10 last year where the back-up was 4-7 and Watson was 3-3. This year doesn't look any more promising than last year but it's important to notice WHY. The same people in charge seem to be better at starting dumpster fires than re-establishing a long lost winning tradition.TEAM SEASON REC Cleveland Browns 2018 7-8-1 Cleveland Browns 2019 6-10 Cleveland Browns 2020 11-5 Cleveland Browns 2021 8-9
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login