Skip to content

Watson's shoulder

The Browns Board
351 34 17.0k 1
  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    Everything I said we couldn't do...we're doing all of it on the first drive. Here comes play action, wide open touchdown. 

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    And there it is! 

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by

    Backwards in 3....jfc.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone

    First and for the record, I'm not a fan of Watson the man or Watson the player as the starting QB of the Browns and I really hate what the Browns gave up in terms of draft capital and guaranteed money for him..... now with that being said, I wanted to give my 2 cents on his shoulder injury from a first hand experience point of view.

    Back on April 1st of this year, I went from a normal Saturday at noon, to not being able to touch my mouth with my left hand by 9pm and it was completely out of the blue. No falls on my bike, no injuries working or working out. Nothing.

    By Sunday morning I was not able to raise my left arm to get my hand higher than my waistband without excruciating pain. I also couldn't even get my left elbow onto the armrest of my recliner without almost becoming nauseous from pain. 

    I thought for sure I somehow tore my rotator cuff, but on Tuesday morning I was diagnosed with "Calcific Tendonitis".

    Basically it is a cyst like sack of calcified crap that forms in the tendon of the rotator cuff where it squeezes through the shoulder joint and causes massive amounts of pain. Many female patients say it's even worse than child birth and I will say it was one of the most painful things I have dealt with and my surgical list is well into the double digits.

    On that Tuesday Dr's visit, I received an ultrasound guided steroid injection which helped it to settle down to just being really painful. I started PT 6 days later and by the end of April I could finally reach up to the upper cabinet and put away my own coffee mug, albeit with significant pain. I was finally able to wash my head in the shower by the end of May with slight pain. 

    Early in June I was able to do very light street type rides on my mountain bike and at the end of June I was back out on the trail although at slow speeds. By the end of August I was back to riding at 100% as well as doing most other things, but did them all with discomfort and apprehension.

    As I type this, I have not done a single pushup or pullup since that Saturday on April 1st and I am still very cautious when I reach up to do anything. My pain is all but gone now with the occasional, "Oh shit, is it coming back?" day here or there.

    All of this is to say that while it's easy to say (myself included) that the 230 million dollar franchise QB needs to "suck it up and play",  I'm here to say that if his rotator cuff contusion is anything like what I experienced, that is simply impossible.

    So as much as I really don't like anything about Watson, I just wanted to give my experience to sort of come to his defense. I do wish the Browns and Watson himself would be more forthright in talking about his injury as it seems really greasy the way they are both handling it. 

    Just my .02  (that's for Tour) 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    MK is falling into the trap that the prior commentator is talking about. He's not playing until he's playing, so plan on it. Forget discussions on when that will be. It won't happen, get everyone get ready with PJ and the rookie.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

  • I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

    Get fitzmagic out of retirement?.. Probably not a wise idea but desperate times require desperate measures...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

    Get fitzmagic out of retirement?.. Probably not a wise idea but desperate times require desperate measures...

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Get fitzmagic out of retirement?.. Probably not a wise idea but desperate times require desperate measures...

    I don’t know He looks chubby 

  • I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    PJs decision making was awful.

    Yeah.  As a play wore on and he was running out of options, he'd take a bad one.  The first read had to be open.

    And if he was on the run, forget-about-it.  He wasn't getting the ball anywhere near the receiver.  But I need to give him credit for running the offense.  We didn't get any delay of game penalties (c-l-o-s-e once or twice) and he got people lined up properly, didn't screw up any snaps or hand-offs....any one of which might have cost us the game.  I'm happy for him.  But we need our starting QB back.

  • I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  
     

    I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  
     

    PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

    Briskett is on the Wash bench. Requires a trade.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

  • First and for the record, I'm not a fan of Watson the man or Watson the player as the starting QB of the Browns and I really hate what the Browns gave up in terms of draft capital and guaranteed money for him..... now with that being said, I wanted to give my 2 cents on his shoulder injury from a first hand experience point of view.

    Back on April 1st of this year, I went from a normal Saturday at noon, to not being able to touch my mouth with my left hand by 9pm and it was completely out of the blue. No falls on my bike, no injuries working or working out. Nothing.

    By Sunday morning I was not able to raise my left arm to get my hand higher than my waistband without excruciating pain. I also couldn't even get my left elbow onto the armrest of my recliner without almost becoming nauseous from pain. 

    I thought for sure I somehow tore my rotator cuff, but on Tuesday morning I was diagnosed with "Calcific Tendonitis".

    Basically it is a cyst like sack of calcified crap that forms in the tendon of the rotator cuff where it squeezes through the shoulder joint and causes massive amounts of pain. Many female patients say it's even worse than child birth and I will say it was one of the most painful things I have dealt with and my surgical list is well into the double digits.

    On that Tuesday Dr's visit, I received an ultrasound guided steroid injection which helped it to settle down to just being really painful. I started PT 6 days later and by the end of April I could finally reach up to the upper cabinet and put away my own coffee mug, albeit with significant pain. I was finally able to wash my head in the shower by the end of May with slight pain. 

    Early in June I was able to do very light street type rides on my mountain bike and at the end of June I was back out on the trail although at slow speeds. By the end of August I was back to riding at 100% as well as doing most other things, but did them all with discomfort and apprehension.

    As I type this, I have not done a single pushup or pullup since that Saturday on April 1st and I am still very cautious when I reach up to do anything. My pain is all but gone now with the occasional, "Oh shit, is it coming back?" day here or there.

    All of this is to say that while it's easy to say (myself included) that the 230 million dollar franchise QB needs to "suck it up and play",  I'm here to say that if his rotator cuff contusion is anything like what I experienced, that is simply impossible.

    So as much as I really don't like anything about Watson, I just wanted to give my experience to sort of come to his defense. I do wish the Browns and Watson himself would be more forthright in talking about his injury as it seems really greasy the way they are both handling it. 

    Just my .02  (that's for Tour) 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc

    @d-bone said:

    First and for the record, I'm not a fan of Watson the man or Watson the player as the starting QB of the Browns and I really hate what the Browns gave up in terms of draft capital and guaranteed money for him..... now with that being said, I wanted to give my 2 cents on his shoulder injury from a first hand experience point of view.

    Back on April 1st of this year, I went from a normal Saturday at noon, to not being able to touch my mouth with my left hand by 9pm and it was completely out of the blue. No falls on my bike, no injuries working or working out. Nothing.

    By Sunday morning I was not able to raise my left arm to get my hand higher than my waistband without excruciating pain. I also couldn't even get my left elbow onto the armrest of my recliner without almost becoming nauseous from pain. 

    I thought for sure I somehow tore my rotator cuff, but on Tuesday morning I was diagnosed with "Calcific Tendonitis".

    Basically it is a cyst like sack of calcified crap that forms in the tendon of the rotator cuff where it squeezes through the shoulder joint and causes massive amounts of pain. Many female patients say it's even worse than child birth and I will say it was one of the most painful things I have dealt with and my surgical list is well into the double digits.

    On that Tuesday Dr's visit, I received an ultrasound guided steroid injection which helped it to settle down to just being really painful. I started PT 6 days later and by the end of April I could finally reach up to the upper cabinet and put away my own coffee mug, albeit with significant pain. I was finally able to wash my head in the shower by the end of May with slight pain. 

    Early in June I was able to do very light street type rides on my mountain bike and at the end of June I was back out on the trail although at slow speeds. By the end of August I was back to riding at 100% as well as doing most other things, but did them all with discomfort and apprehension.

    As I type this, I have not done a single pushup or pullup since that Saturday on April 1st and I am still very cautious when I reach up to do anything. My pain is all but gone now with the occasional, "Oh shit, is it coming back?" day here or there.

    All of this is to say that while it's easy to say (myself included) that the 230 million dollar franchise QB needs to "suck it up and play",  I'm here to say that if his rotator cuff contusion is anything like what I experienced, that is simply impossible.

    So as much as I really don't like anything about Watson, I just wanted to give my experience to sort of come to his defense. I do wish the Browns and Watson himself would be more forthright in talking about his injury as it seems really greasy the way they are both handling it. 

    Just my .02  (that's for Tour) 

    That is really a valid viewpoint. When you get your shoulder all the way back, you will really appreciate everything about it every day.

       I have even less use for him, but the evening I slipped in the mud and completely tore my rotator cuff, it was months before I could throw  bales again.

       I finally have my second knee replaced - a good bit of pain so often over all these years is no more. After a few weeks of PT, I walk without a walker, normally. I'm fascinated how stable it is. No more near dislocated knee/kneecap.

      Your shoulder problem had to be hell - at least a tear can be fixed with surgery.

      His shoulder injury is not cause to ridicule it - at least they don't have him all duct taped up and send him out there.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward

    Washington won’t trade brisket because their #3 is Jake Fromm

    Guy like Foles, Flacco, McCoy are out there though. I can’t imagine they’d be worse #2’s than what we have.

    If PJ plays another stinker on Sunday I really hope they make qb 2 a priority though. Watson will miss snaps and probably games even after he comes back, it’s just his play style.

  • Washington won’t trade brisket because their #3 is Jake Fromm

    Guy like Foles, Flacco, McCoy are out there though. I can’t imagine they’d be worse #2’s than what we have.

    If PJ plays another stinker on Sunday I really hope they make qb 2 a priority though. Watson will miss snaps and probably games even after he comes back, it’s just his play style.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @bbedward said:

    Washington won’t trade brisket because their #3 is Jake Fromm

    Guy like Foles, Flacco, McCoy are out there though. I can’t imagine they’d be worse #2’s than what we have.

    If PJ plays another stinker on Sunday I really hope they make qb 2 a priority though. Watson will miss snaps and probably games even after he comes back, it’s just his play style.

    Definitely want to improve the QB room if possible, but Watson's last three seasons in Houston he did start in 47 of the possible 48 games. 

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

  • How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

    PJ was awful... How the hell did he beat out Mayfield last year is totally hilarious.. But then I remember Matt Rhule was the coach..

  • N Neo wrote on last edited by

    Found this floating around on my phone, thought it was funny.

    Screenshot_20230627-234031_Facebook.thumb.jpg.3b642150f6b113a38d0203237dc61e8d.jpg

  • How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

    ya he is starting, I wonder if the line moved  ?