Skip to content

People Complaining About The Browns Offense Should Watch the Jets...

The Browns Board
41 9 1.6k 1
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I have read that the mind does not give 2 shits about spelling or punctuation 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    That has to test your faith in a higher power. 

    ...you ought to be able to imagine that pretty well.  We've suffered with that kind of stuff all century.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #31

    @orion said:

    ...you ought to be able to imagine that pretty well.  We've suffered with that kind of stuff all century.

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

  • @orion said:

    ...you ought to be able to imagine that pretty well.  We've suffered with that kind of stuff all century.

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @flugel said:

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

  • @flugel said:

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #33

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    I know. Then you have Steeler fans trading in their jackets for Dallas Cowboys, San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots coats when their team only makes the playoffs.  Best fans in the NFL My ass with gas!

  • @flugel said:

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    When my dad used to tell me about Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Gary Collins and Jim Brown - it took the old "when I was your age" to all new levels.  I had no choice in the matter. Even better, I didn't want one.  I'm just stuck on pause with it all.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    When my dad used to tell me about Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Gary Collins and Jim Brown - it took the old "when I was your age" to all new levels.  I had no choice in the matter. Even better, I didn't want one.  I'm just stuck on pause with it all.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @flugel said:

    When my dad used to tell me about Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Gary Collins and Jim Brown - it took the old "when I was your age" to all new levels.  I had no choice in the matter. Even better, I didn't want one.  I'm just stuck on pause with it all.

    I learned the same stories, and I still will go on youtube and look up game videos of the old Browns (dating all the way back to 1946) posted by someone under the name Comrade Dobler. I'm talking COMPLETE games. Every play. 

    It helped that I also grew up within 45 minutes of Cleveland, though. 

  • @orion said:

    ...you ought to be able to imagine that pretty well.  We've suffered with that kind of stuff all century.

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @flugel said:

    Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.

    From the year I was born to the year I graduated high school, the Browns never had a losing season.  Always a solid and respected team / organization.

  • @flugel said:

    I know. Our freakin ancestors were spoiled rotten.  All we inherited was the rotten. It's even worse for all the teenagers under 33-35 years of age.

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    they have one positive going for them…expectations are low.

    It would be nice not to have any recollection of what this franchise once accomplished on a consistent basis.

    8-9/9-8 would look good to some of these 20/30 somethings 
     

    I might have my chest puffed out if i watched the Jim Brown era. 

    I don’t even go back that far…my first Browns recollection….Browns Jets 1986 playoff game and then a period of 9 years where we had a nice run of playoff football. 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #38

    during the 1 and 30 what the fuck ever games we lost

    I ALLWAYS STOOD UP IN FRONT OF MY FUCKING TELEVISION AND SALUTED THOSE FUCKING FANS STILL REMAINING IN  THE GOD FUCKED STANDS

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm always amazed to talk to younger Browns fans who only know the new version of this team. 

    They are sadists, of course, but I'm still impressed by them. 

    they have one positive going for them…expectations are low.

    It would be nice not to have any recollection of what this franchise once accomplished on a consistent basis.

    8-9/9-8 would look good to some of these 20/30 somethings 
     

    I might have my chest puffed out if i watched the Jim Brown era. 

    I don’t even go back that far…my first Browns recollection….Browns Jets 1986 playoff game and then a period of 9 years where we had a nice run of playoff football. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I might have my chest puffed out if i watched the Jim Brown era. 

    I don’t even go back that far…my first Browns recollection….Browns Jets 1986 playoff game and then a period of 9 years where we had a nice run of playoff football. 

    Yeah, I'm a kid of the 80s Browns teams too... went to my first game in 1984 (Shottenheimer's first game as HC after Rutigliano was fired) when I was not quite 9 years old. 

  • sydS syd

    during the 1 and 30 what the fuck ever games we lost

    I ALLWAYS STOOD UP IN FRONT OF MY FUCKING TELEVISION AND SALUTED THOSE FUCKING FANS STILL REMAINING IN  THE GOD FUCKED STANDS

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @syd said:

    during the 1 and 30 what the fuck ever games we lost

    I ALLWAYS STOOD UP IN FRONT OF MY FUCKING TELEVISION AND SALUTED THOSE FUCKING FANS STILL REMAINING IN  THE GOD FUCKED STANDS

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I might have my chest puffed out if i watched the Jim Brown era. 

    I don’t even go back that far…my first Browns recollection….Browns Jets 1986 playoff game and then a period of 9 years where we had a nice run of playoff football. 

    Yeah, I'm a kid of the 80s Browns teams too... went to my first game in 1984 (Shottenheimer's first game as HC after Rutigliano was fired) when I was not quite 9 years old. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, I'm a kid of the 80s Browns teams too... went to my first game in 1984 (Shottenheimer's first game as HC after Rutigliano was fired) when I was not quite 9 years old. 

    Me too!  I was born the same year the Browns won their last Championship in 1964; but how much do we remember our 1st year of life?  I think I started to notice how much my dad liked the Browns when I was about 5 or 6 in 1969/1970 when they were on TV, on our clothing and items with various Brownie Elves featured on the shelves.  Shortly thereafter, my dad put an antenna on the house getting feeds from as far away as Ottawa Canada in French.  He also did that for his friends in Rochester Telephone.  Anyway, you're starting to see my choices while I was learning about the game of football.  We also went to see them play when they played at Buffalo.  That was awesome; or, at least we thought it was until.... 

    October 10, 1976.  This was the day my dad took me and my older brother to our very 1st home game in Cleveland.  We didn't just have tickets - we had tickets that said Standing Room Only on them.  Didn't matter if we couldn't see the ball when it went up in the air above the overhang of the tier above.  It also didn't even matter if the fresh smell of urine was coming out of the bathroom; or if my dad was worried a sporadic smell of marijuana had anything to do with my older brother John.  The only thing that mattered was this was the game backup QB David Mays had to start against the Steel Curtain because of Jack Lambert's previous cheap shot on Brian Sipe out of bounds.  Didn't matter.  What did matter was the KARMA of all that was about to treat the home crowd to a game in the Browns-Steelers Rivalry that will not be forgotten.  Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson didn't care how many of those Offensive Linemen across from them could bench press over 500lbs as they dominated the trenches that day.  Pittsburgh couldn't do a FREAKIN thing they wanted to - including protecting their HOF QB.  All that attention Johnson and Sherk commanded freed up Joe "Turkey" Jones for the body slam that put Bradshaw on IR the rest of the year.  Best of all, the Browns won that game. From the ride in that took us right up on the contour of Lake Erie to the hotel to the stadium to the game day culture to the win - it was a powerful 1st impression.  That's why a team that was about 4 hours away from Fairport, NY (Rochester) was the ONLY home team our family would ever have.  My dad already went hook, line and sinker with Otto Graham so I'm speaking for me and my deceased brother going from just TV fans to annual road-trips required.

    That 76 team coached by Forrest Gregg finished 9-5 behind Pittsburgh and Cincy with 10-4 records.  2 years later was 1978 when the Browns drafted Alabama WR Ozzie Newsome and USC LB Clay Matthews in the 1st round.  Both guys emerged as very productive players and leaders on their side of the ball for a long time.  Bear Bryant said that Ozzie Newsome was the best blocking WR he ever had, which was surprising that was the 1st thing he'd compliment about his very gifted Receiver.  It came as no surprise the Browns changed his position to TE, where he performed his way into the HOF.   Browns OG Joe DeLamielleure who became the 1st OL to block for a 2000 yard rusher (Simpson) and a 4000 yard passer (Sipe) back when both things were unheard of.  Anyway, when Joe came to a Browns Backers Banquet in Rochester NY he was asked who the toughest player he ever faced was.  Without hesitation he announced Clay Matthews was the meanest SON OF A BITCH he ever faced.  He reminded everyone in the room don't let nice guy look fool you; because I had to go against this guy every day in practice. He said Clay is one of the best Defensive Players in the league with the ability to not only excel at his own LBer position in a 4-3 or a 3-4; but he also frequently upgraded the LBer position of the injured starter's spot he had to slide over and fill-in at.  

    IMO, that 1st round of 1978 did a lot to set up my glory years/decade of following this team and the Kardiac Kids in the 80s.  I'm honored to have that in common with great fans like you and other guys posting good stuff in this thread.  Over the years, I've found myself more understanding of some impatient reactions to this team (as long as I think they're fair).  When I see great fans with endless loyalty to this team passing away - it's an emotional version of what I think 10 guys playing soccer on my face would feel like.  It hurts. While owners, coaches and players on this franchise come and go - fans and their family traditions embracing this team never leave.  It's unconditional no matter where you reside from as far away as London to as close as downtown Cleveland.  No matter how many times someone says they're done with this team - just tell them it's as easy as quitting smoking or chewing tobacco.  Some people quit that at least 100 times so it has to be pretty easy right?  Truth be told, this is an impossible culture to quit so enjoy the ride and the reasons we're here.