Skip to content

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Steelers

The Browns Board
29 15 1.0k 1
  • Considering all the fouls Hudson commits, this improves our odds considerably:

    Browns RT Dawand Jones: ‘I’m good to go’ vs. Steelers

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #21

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Considering all the fouls Hudson commits, this improves our odds considerably:

    Browns RT Dawand Jones: ‘I’m good to go’ vs. Steelers

    I knew I could count on KD to bring us some good news!

    Having said that, the last time the Browns played Pittsburgh it looked like he had so much to learn in pass pro.  On the other hand, Bill Callahan is our OL Coach and Jones was talented enough to be an All American (which means he was moldable clay for an elite OL Coach).

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #22

    Starting ILBs out.  

    Starting DBs out. 

    Adams out. 

    Mini Iron Head with a groin strain. 

     I haven't seen an invite to go up the middle like that since I had the entire varsity cheerleadering squad over at our Halloween party. 

  • Starting ILBs out.  

    Starting DBs out. 

    Adams out. 

    Mini Iron Head with a groin strain. 

     I haven't seen an invite to go up the middle like that since I had the entire varsity cheerleadering squad over at our Halloween party. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tiamat63 said:

    I haven't seen an invite to go up the middle like that since I had the entire varsity cheerleadering squad over at our Halloween party. 

    gene private parts bob's burgers .jpg

  • DieHardBrownsFan1D DieHardBrownsFan1 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    image.thumb.png.bd71a4de671e9b0f7b93fcf9ea6f8149.png

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #25

    I honestly don’t think this game should even be close, the browns are better than the Steelers across the board - and Pickett is pretty close to DTR, not like it’s fat Ben out there.

    But it’s a divisional game against the Steelers so, all bets are off.

  • N Neo wrote on last edited by Neo
    #26

    Stefanski has had to play quarterback by committee, RB by committee, and OT by committee pretty much all year and we are sitting at 6-3. We play the Steelers tomorrow who has a QB that isn't much better than anything we fielded this season and we have the best defense in the NFL. We have the chance to be 7-3 so I say, let's fck'n GO!

  • I would rather see Watson, who is 0-3 against PIT.

    Steelers are a bad team.  They pull wins out of their ass and get help from the officials.

    I expect CLE to win this one.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #27

    @dick-mellon said:

    I would rather see Watson, who is 0-3 against PIT.

    Steelers are a bad team.  They pull wins out of their ass and get help from the officials.

    I expect CLE to win this one.

    Well, Mr. Mellon, I expect the Browns to win also. But whenever I get a strong feeling about a Browns game one way or the other, I'm usually dead wrong.  

    Now regarding your Steelers, I agree they're doing it with smoke and mirrors- and turnovers at exactly the right time. Watson throwing a pick six on the first play is a good example, as well as last week Love tossing an ill advised pass into the end zone for an interception when they were driving for the winning score.  

    As to our Browns, I commend Stefanski for starting DTR over PJ Walker- who is one inaccurate, 1 td to 5 interceptions gawdawful qb. Tries hard, but what would you expect from an XFL practice squad quarterback? Dorian had a horrendous game against the Ravens, but he had 2 hours to get ready for that game after running the scout team all week.  He was impressive enough in preseason to convince Andrew Berry that Josh Dobbs was expendable. The good news on our side is Dawand Jones says he's healthy enough to play RT, he's on an upswing getting tutelage from the best OL coach in the business Callahan. We certainly won't miss not seeing Minkah Fitzpatrick out there either.  🙂  

    So, from my POV the outcome is pretty clear... The team that wins the turnover battle will come out on top. 

    PS- even should the Steelers lose, they're far from out of it making the playoffs. You still have two games on tap against the Bengals, minus Joe Burrow. For any of us MHO the division is out of reach, short of Lamar Jackson breaking his leg. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #28

    Cleveland Browns
    Player                               Injury    Wed 11/15    Thu 11/16    Fri 11/17    Game Status
    Matthew Adams, LB    Not Injury Related - Personal Matter    --    DNP    --    --
    David Bell, WR    Knee    Limited    Limited    Full    --
    Joel Bitonio, OG    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
    Amari Cooper, WR    Not Injury Related - Resting Player,ankle    DNP    --    --    --
    Grant Delpit, DB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player,shoulder    DNP    Limited    Full    --
    Michael Dunn, OG    Calf    Full    Full    Full    (11/17) Questionable vs Pit
    Marquise Goodwin, WR    Concussion    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out vs Pit
    Dawand Jones, OT    Knee    DNP    Limited    Limited    (11/17) Questionable vs Pit
    Rodney McLeod, DB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
    Greg Newsome, DB    Groin    Limited    Full    Full    --
    David Njoku, TE    Not Injury Related - Resting Player,knee    DNP    Limited    Full    --
    Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DE    Groin    Limited    Limited    Full    --
    Za'Darius Smith, DE    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
    Pierre Strong, RB    Hamstring    Full    Full    Full    --
    Wyatt Teller, OG    Ankle    DNP    Full    Full    --
    Juan Thornhill, DB    Calf    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out vs Pit
    Anthony Walker, LB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
    Denzel Ward, DB    Neck    Limited    Full    Full    --
    Alex Wright, DE    Knee    Limited    Full    Full    --

    ------

    It's hard to have much confidence when you have to start a rookie 5th round pick at QB against the Steelers.

    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Player                                   Injury    Wed 11/15    Thu 11/16    Fri 11/17    Game Status
    Montravius Adams, DT    Ankle    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out @ Cle
    Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB    Hamstring    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out @ Cle

    Pat Freiermuth, TE    Hamstring    Limited    Full    Full    (11/17) Questionable @ Cle
    Cameron Heyward, DT    Groin    DNP    Limited    Limited    --
    Diontae Johnson, WR    Thumb    DNP    Full    Full    --
    Keanu Neal, DB    Rib    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out @ Cle
    Patrick Peterson, DB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
    Isaac Seumalo, OG    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --

    -------

    Standings - Detailed View
    AFC NORTH    W    L    T    PCT      PF      PA   Net Pts  Home      Road           Div            Pct        Conf          Pct       Non-Conf    Strk    Last 5

    Baltimore Ravens
                             8    3    0    0.727    304    177    127    4 - 2 - 0    4 - 1 - 0     3 - 2 - 0    0.600    5 - 3 - 0    0.625    3 - 0 - 0    1W    4 - 1 - 0

    Pittsburgh Steelers
                            6    3    0    0.667    156    182    -26     4 - 2 - 0    2 - 1 - 0     2 - 0 - 0    1.000    4 - 2 - 0    0.667    2 - 1 - 0    2W    4 - 1 - 0

    Cleveland Browns
                            6    3    0    0.667    214    170     44     4 - 1 - 0     2 - 2 - 0     2 - 2 - 0    0.500    4 - 2 - 0    0.667    2 - 1 - 0    2W    4 - 1 - 0

    So, we're 2-2 in the division.  The Steelers are 2-0.   And the Ravens  3-2.   We have to feed the Steelers a division loss.  

  • image.png.ad21b62891a62987e770ef72aa10925d.png

    I'm looking at these numbers and I'm trying to figure out how the Steelers are 6-3.  They rank in the bottom 10 in every category.....except takeaways.  So....I guess teams GIVE them wins.  

    With Watson out, Tomlin is going to think that we'll need to run the ball in order to win.  So he will sell out to stop the run.  And on passing downs he'll blitz the rookie QB and attack our backup Tackles.  So, what do we do?   Do we take the bait and try to beat them with the pass (when we don't actually have a passing game)?  Or do we bite the bullet and try to impose our will in the running game?   

    Let's just say that we're not going to make the playoffs because of the loss of our QB (RT, LT, RB, etc.).....then there is no bigger game on the schedule than this one.  The hated Steelers....at home!   More need not be said.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @orion said:

    image.png.ad21b62891a62987e770ef72aa10925d.png

    I'm looking at these numbers and I'm trying to figure out how the Steelers are 6-3.  They rank in the bottom 10 in every category.....except takeaways.  So....I guess teams GIVE them wins.  

    This is where our running game and passing game ranked in Mid November.  Running game ranked 3rd passing game ranked 29th.  Before this, I reposted the Mid-October Tale of the Tape that showed the Browns running game only ranked 16th while the passing game ranked 32nd at the time.  

    Why all that?  Because our running game eventually got itself all the way up to a #2 ranking between November 15th and today.  I say that because I think there's a lot of unfair criticism aimed at the RBs trying to make the best of an interior offensive line that only had 1 starter remaining in the lineup last week and just 2 starters left the 2-3 games before that.  Do they make mistakes?  Of course.  That said, the numbers reflect the running game has been more reliable than the passing game for much of the season.  The record shows we CAN win with the Backs we have while Chubb has been out.  Our biggest concern on offense is the health of the OL right now.  I'm hoping we can get Pocic and Bitonio back out there soon.