Skip to content

▪︎ Santa isn't the only one visiting USA this Christmas, so I've a few more questions.

The Browns Board
50 11 2.0k
  • @dutch-oven said:

    That's the one. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    There's a couple spots.   First that I would presume you're talking about is Wonder Bar?

    That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

    Tbh, wonder bar is nothing special - stop in for a beer maybe. Cordelia and Mabels are definitely worth hitting though.

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

    Tbh, wonder bar is nothing special - stop in for a beer maybe. Cordelia and Mabels are definitely worth hitting though.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @bbedward said:

    Tbh, wonder bar is nothing special - stop in for a beer maybe. Cordelia and Mabels are definitely worth hitting though.

    Mabel's pork belly....

    Mmmmmmmmm.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    That's the one. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    There's a couple spots.   First that I would presume you're talking about is Wonder Bar?

    That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #20

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

    @bbedward said:

    Tbh, wonder bar is nothing special - stop in for a beer maybe. Cordelia and Mabels are definitely worth hitting though.

    BB is right here, York.  WonderBar is a stop, but only in name sake.  Nothing really special.  Then again, I'm not big on "special" places.  Give me a reasonable volume, lower lighting, a few nice TV's, solid food and hooch and I'm sound as a pound.  

    But if you can get a Po boy - do it.

    And if you can get a pie from Angelo's - also do just that.  

    edit:  York, I might end up having the week between Xmas and NYE off.  I had it off last year, but we've had some rough months lately so who knows?  If I do, I already have friends talking about being downtown or at least in vicinity for the game, being that it's a Thursday night.   If I am off, keep an eye on your PM's. Might be around to buy you a drink and show you some Ohio hospitality. 

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
    #21

    Awesome.

    I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

    Beer Passport

    We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

    You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

    Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

  • Awesome.

    I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

    Beer Passport

    We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

    You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

    Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward
    #22

    @bob806 said:

    Awesome.

    I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

    Beer Passport

    We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

    You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

    Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

    Butcher and brewer is a must try for sure, for the beer. I just don’t understand what happened to the food.

    used to be amazing with unique full size dishes, including some top tier beef tartar

    Nowadays it’s just small appetizers that you’ll spend $100 and still be hungry (still pretty decent quality, but not worth it). Definitely try the beers though 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #23

    wasnt sure where to put it. but it seems DTR'S mom is a professor at UNLV. Thank god she was out for lunch

  • @hoorta said:

    If you haven't already, get in contact with these folks.... BTW, the R & Roll HOF is well worth visiting...  

    http://scdp.houstonbrownsbackers.com/

    https://gnatstailgaters.com/

    I hope to send Houston Browns an E-mail about the pre match booze up this weekend, it'll be good to meet up with like minded souls. Thanks for the Links.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #24

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    I hope to send Houston Browns an E-mail about the pre match booze up this weekend, it'll be good to meet up with like minded souls. Thanks for the Links.

    ONE  thing  that I have always been a firm believed in about travel ..... both in business and especially on vacations  you generally learn what you want to see, do, experience on your  SECOND  vacation from your  first  trip.  Like when Larry (hoorta)  mentioned  Cleveland's own R&R HOF  good idea and right there. 

    ◆  Also don't overlook the big daddy in Hall of Fames the NFL HOF  right down the road in Canton, Ohio.   Maybe next trip ?

    ◆  You can't do it all  in one trip due to vacation time,  number of places to go, and of course the  $$$$  restrictions.   Maybe working on a vacation 2 trip somewhere ?

    I've done some extensive business travel working with three Fourtune 500 companies and tried whenever possible to combine business -and- a little sightseeing together to scope out future vacations.   From trips to Chicago, IL, to FLA, TEX, many trips to Pittsburgh, PA and loads of Pirates games.  I made it work .... when possible.     Hey my wife and I are both retired now but always went to at least one major trip per year.    Plan ahead !

    On vacation trips several Spring Breaks to FLA, when married trips to Orlando, Tampa, the Bahamas, a few cruises any trips to my favorite Oahu, Hawaii .... but that's in a different department.   And you're doing another good thing here getting   good information   from multiple sources here.

    ▪︎  Just trying to give you some other ideas,  back to we hope you enjoy your  next  trip !   Michael.

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    I hope to send Houston Browns an E-mail about the pre match booze up this weekend, it'll be good to meet up with like minded souls. Thanks for the Links.

    ONE  thing  that I have always been a firm believed in about travel ..... both in business and especially on vacations  you generally learn what you want to see, do, experience on your  SECOND  vacation from your  first  trip.  Like when Larry (hoorta)  mentioned  Cleveland's own R&R HOF  good idea and right there. 

    ◆  Also don't overlook the big daddy in Hall of Fames the NFL HOF  right down the road in Canton, Ohio.   Maybe next trip ?

    ◆  You can't do it all  in one trip due to vacation time,  number of places to go, and of course the  $$$$  restrictions.   Maybe working on a vacation 2 trip somewhere ?

    I've done some extensive business travel working with three Fourtune 500 companies and tried whenever possible to combine business -and- a little sightseeing together to scope out future vacations.   From trips to Chicago, IL, to FLA, TEX, many trips to Pittsburgh, PA and loads of Pirates games.  I made it work .... when possible.     Hey my wife and I are both retired now but always went to at least one major trip per year.    Plan ahead !

    On vacation trips several Spring Breaks to FLA, when married trips to Orlando, Tampa, the Bahamas, a few cruises any trips to my favorite Oahu, Hawaii .... but that's in a different department.   And you're doing another good thing here getting   good information   from multiple sources here.

    ▪︎  Just trying to give you some other ideas,  back to we hope you enjoy your  next  trip !   Michael.

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mjp28 said:

    ONE  thing  that I have always been a firm believed in about travel ..... both in business and especially on vacations  you generally learn what you want to see, do, experience on your  SECOND  vacation from your  first  trip.  Like when Larry (hoorta)  mentioned  Cleveland's own R&R HOF  good idea and right there. 

    ◆  Also don't overlook the big daddy in Hall of Fames the NFL HOF  right down the road in Canton, Ohio.   Maybe next trip ?

    ◆  You can't do it all  in one trip due to vacation time,  number of places to go, and of course the  $$$$  restrictions.   Maybe working on a vacation 2 trip somewhere ?

    I've done some extensive business travel working with three Fourtune 500 companies and tried whenever possible to combine business -and- a little sightseeing together to scope out future vacations.   From trips to Chicago, IL, to FLA, TEX, many trips to Pittsburgh, PA and loads of Pirates games.  I made it work .... when possible.     Hey my wife and I are both retired now but always went to at least one major trip per year.    Plan ahead !

    On vacation trips several Spring Breaks to FLA, when married trips to Orlando, Tampa, the Bahamas, a few cruises any trips to my favorite Oahu, Hawaii .... but that's in a different department.   And you're doing another good thing here getting   good information   from multiple sources here.

    ▪︎  Just trying to give you some other ideas,  back to we hope you enjoy your  next  trip !   Michael.

    Yes I'm already lending some thought to future trips as my ESTA is valid for two years, the rivalry between Browns and Steelers has me intrigued as it's both clubs grudge match and I'll have numerous questions about that when the time comes. I've found you can do loads of internet searches but you can't beat local knowledge so all the recommendations for food and beer will be noted and thoroughly checked out. Even though I'm 56, when a trip is looming I still get giddy about it and now I'm on a single digit count down to my flight on the 21st I'm starting to get proper giddy. Houston for Christmas, Cleveland for New Year. Smashing!!!!!!!   

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

    @bbedward said:

    Tbh, wonder bar is nothing special - stop in for a beer maybe. Cordelia and Mabels are definitely worth hitting though.

    BB is right here, York.  WonderBar is a stop, but only in name sake.  Nothing really special.  Then again, I'm not big on "special" places.  Give me a reasonable volume, lower lighting, a few nice TV's, solid food and hooch and I'm sound as a pound.  

    But if you can get a Po boy - do it.

    And if you can get a pie from Angelo's - also do just that.  

    edit:  York, I might end up having the week between Xmas and NYE off.  I had it off last year, but we've had some rough months lately so who knows?  If I do, I already have friends talking about being downtown or at least in vicinity for the game, being that it's a Thursday night.   If I am off, keep an eye on your PM's. Might be around to buy you a drink and show you some Ohio hospitality. 

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @tiamat63 said:

    BB is right here, York.  WonderBar is a stop, but only in name sake.  Nothing really special.  Then again, I'm not big on "special" places.  Give me a reasonable volume, lower lighting, a few nice TV's, solid food and hooch and I'm sound as a pound.  

    But if you can get a Po boy - do it.

    And if you can get a pie from Angelo's - also do just that.  

    edit:  York, I might end up having the week between Xmas and NYE off.  I had it off last year, but we've had some rough months lately so who knows?  If I do, I already have friends talking about being downtown or at least in vicinity for the game, being that it's a Thursday night.   If I am off, keep an eye on your PM's. Might be around to buy you a drink and show you some Ohio hospitality. 

    That'll be excellent if you get chance,  I arrive in Cleveland late on 27th but I'm not flying back till the 2nd Jan. Have given it an extra day just in case New Years eve gets messy. There's nothing worse than being on long flights when you feel rough as a bears arse through over doing the beer. My Hotel is down on the Flats so I'm close to centre. Cheers. 

  • Awesome.

    I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

    Beer Passport

    We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

    You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

    Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @bob806 said:

    Awesome.

    I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

    Beer Passport

    We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

    You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

    Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

    How long a walk is it from Flat Iron to the Stadium and what time will you be tailgating till? Just considering options for my pre game slurps and might pop round to say hello. Also once I've got a few sloshing around inside me I can't hold a piss to save my life so walking time becomes important, I'm even worse when it's freezing cold. Will look at Beer passport this weekend. Cheers. 

  • Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I need some tips on tipping please. When I'm buying drinks am I expected to tip every time I buy one and when I eat how much is it usual to leave? Don't want to be walking away from the bar with them muttering 'tight english wanker' under their breath. Last time I was over I tipped on every other drink, is that about fare enough. When I was in LA a lass served me and she had a face like a slapped arse, wasn't sure if it was me not tipping enough or whether she was always so miserable. Many thanks inadvance.  

  • @bob806 said:

    Awesome.

    I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

    Beer Passport

    We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

    You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

    Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

    How long a walk is it from Flat Iron to the Stadium and what time will you be tailgating till? Just considering options for my pre game slurps and might pop round to say hello. Also once I've got a few sloshing around inside me I can't hold a piss to save my life so walking time becomes important, I'm even worse when it's freezing cold. Will look at Beer passport this weekend. Cheers. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
    #29

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    How long a walk is it from Flat Iron to the Stadium and what time will you be tailgating till? Just considering options for my pre game slurps and might pop round to say hello. Also once I've got a few sloshing around inside me I can't hold a piss to save my life so walking time becomes important, I'm even worse when it's freezing cold. Will look at Beer passport this weekend. Cheers. 

    The walk from there is about 20 minutes. 

    Which game are you referring to? The NY Jets game, chances are we won't be tailgating because it's a Thurs ?. I'll keep you posted in this thread.

  • I need some tips on tipping please. When I'm buying drinks am I expected to tip every time I buy one and when I eat how much is it usual to leave? Don't want to be walking away from the bar with them muttering 'tight english wanker' under their breath. Last time I was over I tipped on every other drink, is that about fare enough. When I was in LA a lass served me and she had a face like a slapped arse, wasn't sure if it was me not tipping enough or whether she was always so miserable. Many thanks inadvance.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    I need some tips on tipping please. When I'm buying drinks am I expected to tip every time I buy one and when I eat how much is it usual to leave? Don't want to be walking away from the bar with them muttering 'tight english wanker' under their breath. Last time I was over I tipped on every other drink, is that about fare enough. When I was in LA a lass served me and she had a face like a slapped arse, wasn't sure if it was me not tipping enough or whether she was always so miserable. Many thanks inadvance.  

    For a meal, 20% is a good rule of thumb for a tip.

    For drinks, I usually tip them a buck or two per drink. 

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    I need some tips on tipping please. When I'm buying drinks am I expected to tip every time I buy one and when I eat how much is it usual to leave? Don't want to be walking away from the bar with them muttering 'tight english wanker' under their breath. Last time I was over I tipped on every other drink, is that about fare enough. When I was in LA a lass served me and she had a face like a slapped arse, wasn't sure if it was me not tipping enough or whether she was always so miserable. Many thanks inadvance.  

    For a meal, 20% is a good rule of thumb for a tip.

    For drinks, I usually tip them a buck or two per drink. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #31

    @dutch-oven said:

    For a meal, 20% is a good rule of thumb for a tip.

    For drinks, I usually tip them a buck or two per drink. 

    if i happen to be (for what ever reason) at some tight ass measured shot place. Fuck em i  am not tipping. other wise I tip as well as they are pouring

  • @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    How long a walk is it from Flat Iron to the Stadium and what time will you be tailgating till? Just considering options for my pre game slurps and might pop round to say hello. Also once I've got a few sloshing around inside me I can't hold a piss to save my life so walking time becomes important, I'm even worse when it's freezing cold. Will look at Beer passport this weekend. Cheers. 

    The walk from there is about 20 minutes. 

    Which game are you referring to? The NY Jets game, chances are we won't be tailgating because it's a Thurs ?. I'll keep you posted in this thread.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @bob806 said:

    chances are we won't be tailgating because it's a Thurs

    during the holiday's ? there has to be something going on 

  • @mjp28 said:

    ONE  thing  that I have always been a firm believed in about travel ..... both in business and especially on vacations  you generally learn what you want to see, do, experience on your  SECOND  vacation from your  first  trip.  Like when Larry (hoorta)  mentioned  Cleveland's own R&R HOF  good idea and right there. 

    ◆  Also don't overlook the big daddy in Hall of Fames the NFL HOF  right down the road in Canton, Ohio.   Maybe next trip ?

    ◆  You can't do it all  in one trip due to vacation time,  number of places to go, and of course the  $$$$  restrictions.   Maybe working on a vacation 2 trip somewhere ?

    I've done some extensive business travel working with three Fourtune 500 companies and tried whenever possible to combine business -and- a little sightseeing together to scope out future vacations.   From trips to Chicago, IL, to FLA, TEX, many trips to Pittsburgh, PA and loads of Pirates games.  I made it work .... when possible.     Hey my wife and I are both retired now but always went to at least one major trip per year.    Plan ahead !

    On vacation trips several Spring Breaks to FLA, when married trips to Orlando, Tampa, the Bahamas, a few cruises any trips to my favorite Oahu, Hawaii .... but that's in a different department.   And you're doing another good thing here getting   good information   from multiple sources here.

    ▪︎  Just trying to give you some other ideas,  back to we hope you enjoy your  next  trip !   Michael.

    Yes I'm already lending some thought to future trips as my ESTA is valid for two years, the rivalry between Browns and Steelers has me intrigued as it's both clubs grudge match and I'll have numerous questions about that when the time comes. I've found you can do loads of internet searches but you can't beat local knowledge so all the recommendations for food and beer will be noted and thoroughly checked out. Even though I'm 56, when a trip is looming I still get giddy about it and now I'm on a single digit count down to my flight on the 21st I'm starting to get proper giddy. Houston for Christmas, Cleveland for New Year. Smashing!!!!!!!   

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Yes I'm already lending some thought to future trips as my ESTA is valid for two years, the rivalry between Browns and Steelers has me intrigued as it's both clubs grudge match and I'll have numerous questions about that when the time comes. I've found you can do loads of internet searches but you can't beat local knowledge so all the recommendations for food and beer will be noted and thoroughly checked out. Even though I'm 56, when a trip is looming I still get giddy about it and now I'm on a single digit count down to my flight on the 21st I'm starting to get proper giddy. Houston for Christmas, Cleveland for New Year. Smashing!!!!!!!   

    Hey Yorkie,  you've got me a bit giddy over  your  upcoming trip here to  "CLE 216 The LAND"  and all of that.  Some great sports diehard fans and a pretty good people to hang with.  Just curious in your spare time ..... if you've got any lately ..... if you've looked up a Cleveland native and terriffic writer on all things sports and CLE  Mr Terry Pluto ?   He's written volumes on the Cleveland sports world.  Look up his work if you get time.

    I'm sure at some time you might hit   "IO"    "information overload"   but it's good to be prepared and ready before you shove off from the UK.  You've found some good guys here to chat with and if you have any other questions just ask.  

    Well we hope you have a wonderful trip, oh that giddy trip coming stuff coming up.  I'm 73 now and due to my back and hip stuff my long trips are  gone  -but-  I've had plenty, my wife occasionally will head to FLA with friends I will pass.  We've been to Canada on many trips, nice close place among others.

  • sydS syd

    @bob806 said:

    chances are we won't be tailgating because it's a Thurs

    during the holiday's ? there has to be something going on 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @syd said:

    during the holiday's ? there has to be something going on 

    Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

  • @syd said:

    during the holiday's ? there has to be something going on 

    Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #35

    @hoorta said:

    Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

    Excellent idea of course !

    Screenshot_2023-12-08_234333.jpg

  • @syd said:

    during the holiday's ? there has to be something going on 

    Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @hoorta said:

    Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

    and of course there is the real possibility that the game get's flexed out. Jets suck that bad

  • sydS syd

    @hoorta said:

    Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

    and of course there is the real possibility that the game get's flexed out. Jets suck that bad

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @syd said:

    and of course there is the real possibility that the (Jets) game get's flexed out. Jets suck that bad

    ? Nope, too late, I checked...  🙂 

    • For Thursday Night Football in Weeks 13-17, the flexible scheduling decision will be made no later than 28 days prior to the game.