Skip to content

Dutch's Random Ohio State Droppings

College Football Forum
455 17 13.2k 1
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    And then we have a Meatchicken fan in Dave Portnoy, commenting on Smith’s catch.

    I bet he likes guys that use 2 hands!

    IMG_0105.png

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Dave Portnoy is a clown.

    Anyways, it's going to be a fun three years watching Jeremiah Smith. 

  • JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by JAFBF

    Only FB note I've dropped in the last several years - and only full game I've watched in that time.

    QB to me is still questionable   .   .   .   too many INT's, even thought Team may overcome that.

    D    .   .   .   damn ugly in the first Half for a supposedly Championship challenging Team in the First Half.

    D   .   .   .   pretty much shut things down second Half - this is what you want too see, but has always been a concern to me over the last several years (D too soft).

    This may also answer some questioning the Score of this game   .   .   .  OSU could have easily been in the 50+ points in this game (for those that didn't watch), even though the D started really slow.

    There was just no need to put up that many points in this game   .   .   .   even though they could have easily done so.

    No need to show future opponents your O capabilities   .   .   .  

    Had to add those notes, as the only reason I've posted here is the Brown to Smith play at the ending of the 2Q.

    Damn   .   .   .   that is the only play I've had me come out of my seat in I don't know how many years (NFL included)   .   .   .  

    More I could say on this   .   .   .  but for now, let it go at this   .   .   .  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

  • Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

    Word? Wonder if he played under Coach Kehres.     I have a football tie to one of his relatives. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

    Word? Wonder if he played under Coach Kehres.     I have a football tie to one of his relatives. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Word? Wonder if he played under Coach Kehres.     I have a football tie to one of his relatives. 

    I thought Flugs said that he did somewhere on here. I wanted to know if he played under Asst. Coach Joe Leigh, who was my high school's head coach for two decades before joining Mount Union at the beginning of the 90s... 

  • Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

    Yes, when I was playing for MU the HC was Ken Wable.

    Coach Kehres was my OC.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Ohio State's last opponent Michigan State plays their next opponent Oregon tonight, at 9pm. 

    @canton-dawg Did I read on here that you played at Mount Union? 

    Yes, when I was playing for MU the HC was Ken Wable.

    Coach Kehres was my OC.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    Yes, when I was playing for MU the HC was Ken Wable.

    Coach Kehres was my OC.

    Was Joe Leigh there at the time too?

  • And then we have a Meatchicken fan in Dave Portnoy, commenting on Smith’s catch.

    I bet he likes guys that use 2 hands!

    IMG_0105.png

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    And then we have a Meatchicken fan in Dave Portnoy, commenting on Smith’s catch.

    I bet he likes guys that use 2 hands!

    IMG_0105.png

    Best Bet of the week - David Portnoy re-watched the Barbie Doll movie with other Tea sippers in Annie's Arbor.  Just when it couldn't get any more outrageous, every man in the room had Ken written on the upper back of their Michigan jerseys. The only woman in the bunch said her heart only had room for G.I. Joe...

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Yes, when I was playing for MU the HC was Ken Wable.

    Coach Kehres was my OC.

    Was Joe Leigh there at the time too?

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Was Joe Leigh there at the time too?

    The name doesn’t ring a bell, but that was over 40 years ago.

    I do remember Dom Capers showing up from time to time.

    He and Larry Kehres were roomies at MU back in the day.

    Capers was the DB coach at Ohio State at the time.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Was Joe Leigh there at the time too?

    The name doesn’t ring a bell, but that was over 40 years ago.

    I do remember Dom Capers showing up from time to time.

    He and Larry Kehres were roomies at MU back in the day.

    Capers was the DB coach at Ohio State at the time.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    The name doesn’t ring a bell, but that was over 40 years ago.

    I do remember Dom Capers showing up from time to time.

    He and Larry Kehres were roomies at MU back in the day.

    Capers was the DB coach at Ohio State at the time.

    Capers coached at Ohio State for two seasons (‘82 and ‘83), so you were at MU before Coach Leigh would have been. He probably started there around 1990 I would guess 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Watching the Ohio State vs Iowa game, I'm definitely intrigued by Iowa's TE Luke Lachey (6'6", 250lbs). 

    Not sure how Jim Lachey's son grew up in the Columbus area and didn't play for Ohio State? Jim was a great tackle for the Buckeyes in the early 80s, was drafted by the Chargers and eventually became one of the Hogs in Washington, winning two Super Bowls with them. He's one of the radio voices of Ohio State football. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Well the game we all knew was going to be a tough one indeed was, with Ohio State losing a heartbreaker 32-31. 

    In the day of 12 team playoffs, while a rough loss, its not a season-ender.

    But Ohio State has work to do on defense. That was disappointing. 

  • Well the game we all knew was going to be a tough one indeed was, with Ohio State losing a heartbreaker 32-31. 

    In the day of 12 team playoffs, while a rough loss, its not a season-ender.

    But Ohio State has work to do on defense. That was disappointing. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well the game we all knew was going to be a tough one indeed was, with Ohio State losing a heartbreaker 32-31. 

    In the day of 12 team playoffs, while a rough loss, its not a season-ender.

    But Ohio State has work to do on defense. That was disappointing. 

    Some really bad concentration lapses yesterday with situational football and time management in particular.  #44 needs to play football with his eyes - that TD by Dillon Gabriel was exactly what I'm talking about.  When you clamp down with securing YOUR edge as priority #1 - you better see the damn football (and who has it) or you're giving your opponent their easiest TD of the day.  Did Oregon score an easier TD than that?  

    It's this simple. If you want to be champions - leave the excuses and explanations to your opponent.

    If there is any good news in this?  There's the sour taste in their mouth that's gonna fuel this team the rest of the way...  

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    They need to find a replacement for Denzel Burke. Guy can’t cover anybody or tackle anybody. He was torched the entire game

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Well the game we all knew was going to be a tough one indeed was, with Ohio State losing a heartbreaker 32-31. 

    In the day of 12 team playoffs, while a rough loss, its not a season-ender.

    But Ohio State has work to do on defense. That was disappointing. 

    Some really bad concentration lapses yesterday with situational football and time management in particular.  #44 needs to play football with his eyes - that TD by Dillon Gabriel was exactly what I'm talking about.  When you clamp down with securing YOUR edge as priority #1 - you better see the damn football (and who has it) or you're giving your opponent their easiest TD of the day.  Did Oregon score an easier TD than that?  

    It's this simple. If you want to be champions - leave the excuses and explanations to your opponent.

    If there is any good news in this?  There's the sour taste in their mouth that's gonna fuel this team the rest of the way...  

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Some really bad concentration lapses yesterday with situational football and time management in particular.  #44 needs to play football with his eyes - that TD by Dillon Gabriel was exactly what I'm talking about.  When you clamp down with securing YOUR edge as priority #1 - you better see the damn football (and who has it) or you're giving your opponent their easiest TD of the day.  Did Oregon score an easier TD than that?  

    It's this simple. If you want to be champions - leave the excuses and explanations to your opponent.

    If there is any good news in this?  There's the sour taste in their mouth that's gonna fuel this team the rest of the way...  

    The announcers said, on that play, that #44’s assignment is the QB. The TE released so Styles had to cover him. That makes #44 the edge man. He has the QB. Bad play by him for sure 

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    I don’t understand why the DC chose not to blitz more often.

    He didn’t blitz at all during the first half, but in the first series of the second half he brought heat and got a 3 and out.

    Then he went back to a four man or three man rush. ?

  • I don’t understand why the DC chose not to blitz more often.

    He didn’t blitz at all during the first half, but in the first series of the second half he brought heat and got a 3 and out.

    Then he went back to a four man or three man rush. ?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    I don’t understand why the DC chose not to blitz more often.

    He didn’t blitz at all during the first half, but in the first series of the second half he brought heat and got a 3 and out.

    Then he went back to a four man or three man rush. ?

    Because the CBs, specifically Denzel Burke kept getting toasted.

    But then again, if Sawyer and JTT could actually ever get to the QB for a sack, that would be great too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    At the end of the day, the announcers kept raving about how Oregon did this and that so great last night, but the reality is they were one offensive pass interference away from losing last night on their home turf.

    There's a good chance the Buckeyes could see them again. Hats off to the Ducks for winning, but if I were the Buckeyes that would be something I'd be praying for. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Well the game we all knew was going to be a tough one indeed was, with Ohio State losing a heartbreaker 32-31. 

    In the day of 12 team playoffs, while a rough loss, its not a season-ender.

    But Ohio State has work to do on defense. That was disappointing. 

    Some really bad concentration lapses yesterday with situational football and time management in particular.  #44 needs to play football with his eyes - that TD by Dillon Gabriel was exactly what I'm talking about.  When you clamp down with securing YOUR edge as priority #1 - you better see the damn football (and who has it) or you're giving your opponent their easiest TD of the day.  Did Oregon score an easier TD than that?  

    It's this simple. If you want to be champions - leave the excuses and explanations to your opponent.

    If there is any good news in this?  There's the sour taste in their mouth that's gonna fuel this team the rest of the way...  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Some really bad concentration lapses yesterday with situational football and time management in particular.  #44 needs to play football with his eyes - that TD by Dillon Gabriel was exactly what I'm talking about.  When you clamp down with securing YOUR edge as priority #1 - you better see the damn football (and who has it) or you're giving your opponent their easiest TD of the day.  Did Oregon score an easier TD than that?    

    JTT was playing 'hero ball', because the defense was getting gashed. He didn't trust that his teammates would do their job if he just did his, so he tried to be the hero and save the day himself. They had the perfect call for it. 

  • @flugel said:

    Some really bad concentration lapses yesterday with situational football and time management in particular.  #44 needs to play football with his eyes - that TD by Dillon Gabriel was exactly what I'm talking about.  When you clamp down with securing YOUR edge as priority #1 - you better see the damn football (and who has it) or you're giving your opponent their easiest TD of the day.  Did Oregon score an easier TD than that?  

    It's this simple. If you want to be champions - leave the excuses and explanations to your opponent.

    If there is any good news in this?  There's the sour taste in their mouth that's gonna fuel this team the rest of the way...  

    The announcers said, on that play, that #44’s assignment is the QB. The TE released so Styles had to cover him. That makes #44 the edge man. He has the QB. Bad play by him for sure 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @browns149 said:

    The announcers said, on that play, that #44’s assignment is the QB. The TE released so Styles had to cover him. That makes #44 the edge man. He has the QB. Bad play by him for sure 

    Thanks Brownies!  Anytime a team crashes their end like the Buckeyes did with #44 his assignment is to be at the depth of the QB on his clampdown.  In this case, it was deep into the 2nd half.  And what happens when guys start sucking gas after the opponent starts racking up first downs?  There goes their concentration and one of the most underrated assets in football (their freakin eyes). In this case, 44 bit on the play-action fake hook-line and sinker to the RB going to the backside.  Consequently 44 cleared out the only guy in the way of a TD on his side of the formation (himself).  I'm gonna guess, this tendency/trend was found on film and Oregon exploited it at the right time they felt it would work.