Skip to content

Kalen DeBoer Hired as Alabama Crimson Tide Head Football Coach

College Football Forum
9 5 817
  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Wow!!!!  This guy impressed me as Washington's Head Coach beating Oregon both times and bringing an undefeated record to the Natty.  Any thoughts?

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    That was a suprise to me as well.

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #3

    In his 5 years as a HC in Division II at the University of Sioux Falls his team was 67-3 with 3 NAIA Championships and 1 Runner-up while making it to the semi-finals the other year.  Everybody saw what he did this year with Washington.  Seems like a great hire for Alabama...

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    He’s the just a guy,  who replaced the MAN. He’s a sacrificial lamb. He’ll be there 2 maybe 3 years and then they will go hire someone’s else. Maybe DABBO

  • He’s the just a guy,  who replaced the MAN. He’s a sacrificial lamb. He’ll be there 2 maybe 3 years and then they will go hire someone’s else. Maybe DABBO

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @browns149 said:

    He’s the just a guy,  who replaced the MAN. He’s a sacrificial lamb. He’ll be there 2 maybe 3 years and then they will go hire someone’s else. Maybe DABBO

    As harsh as you might sound you might be right.  That said, it's all about timing; and the time to get the best out of Dabo was about 10-15 years ago. Right now without DC Brent Venables - Dabo's moving closer to the just a good coach pack.  Aside from that, Kirby Smart already took and dominated Dabo's recruiting priority (the state of Georgia).  You can see the difference it's made for Georgia while Clemson's winning percentages have been decreased below the elite.  Venables was his DC since 2012 until Oklahoma hired him as HC. Clemson did a lot of great things during the time he was there. Today, they're just good.

    If I wasn't so sick of Alabama, I'd probably be pulling for a guy like DeBoer.  I was thinking about him for Ohio State's future when he beat Oregon both times in 1 season before beating Texas; and then storing that away in brain cells that didn't survive my last Happy Hour.  

    It's gonna be interesting.  1 thing I always adored about Ohio State was their Offensive Lines sending Pro Bowl caliber players to the NFL like Orlando Pace, Jim Lachey, Korey Stringer, Nick Mangold all the way back to guys like Tom DeLeone, Dick Schafrath, Lou Groza, etc.  I could be wrong; but don't get the sense the OL is getting the same recruiting priority under Ryan Day.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #6

    He better figure out how to play defense, because Washington's was pretty suspect for a playoff team. 

    DeBoer leaving Washington might be Ohio State's gain in this recruiting class, because local recruit Dominic Kirks (4 star DE from Painesville Riverside) has decommitted from Washington now and will visit Ohio State this weekend.

  • @browns149 said:

    He’s the just a guy,  who replaced the MAN. He’s a sacrificial lamb. He’ll be there 2 maybe 3 years and then they will go hire someone’s else. Maybe DABBO

    As harsh as you might sound you might be right.  That said, it's all about timing; and the time to get the best out of Dabo was about 10-15 years ago. Right now without DC Brent Venables - Dabo's moving closer to the just a good coach pack.  Aside from that, Kirby Smart already took and dominated Dabo's recruiting priority (the state of Georgia).  You can see the difference it's made for Georgia while Clemson's winning percentages have been decreased below the elite.  Venables was his DC since 2012 until Oklahoma hired him as HC. Clemson did a lot of great things during the time he was there. Today, they're just good.

    If I wasn't so sick of Alabama, I'd probably be pulling for a guy like DeBoer.  I was thinking about him for Ohio State's future when he beat Oregon both times in 1 season before beating Texas; and then storing that away in brain cells that didn't survive my last Happy Hour.  

    It's gonna be interesting.  1 thing I always adored about Ohio State was their Offensive Lines sending Pro Bowl caliber players to the NFL like Orlando Pace, Jim Lachey, Korey Stringer, Nick Mangold all the way back to guys like Tom DeLeone, Dick Schafrath, Lou Groza, etc.  I could be wrong; but don't get the sense the OL is getting the same recruiting priority under Ryan Day.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that...

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @flugel said:

    As harsh as you might sound you might be right.  That said, it's all about timing; and the time to get the best out of Dabo was about 10-15 years ago. Right now without DC Brent Venables - Dabo's moving closer to the just a good coach pack.  Aside from that, Kirby Smart already took and dominated Dabo's recruiting priority (the state of Georgia).  You can see the difference it's made for Georgia while Clemson's winning percentages have been decreased below the elite.  Venables was his DC since 2012 until Oklahoma hired him as HC. Clemson did a lot of great things during the time he was there. Today, they're just good.

    If I wasn't so sick of Alabama, I'd probably be pulling for a guy like DeBoer.  I was thinking about him for Ohio State's future when he beat Oregon both times in 1 season before beating Texas; and then storing that away in brain cells that didn't survive my last Happy Hour.  

    It's gonna be interesting.  1 thing I always adored about Ohio State was their Offensive Lines sending Pro Bowl caliber players to the NFL like Orlando Pace, Jim Lachey, Korey Stringer, Nick Mangold all the way back to guys like Tom DeLeone, Dick Schafrath, Lou Groza, etc.  I could be wrong; but don't get the sense the OL is getting the same recruiting priority under Ryan Day.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that...

    I agree about the o-line. The d-line seems to be a problem also for Day. They don’t have the dominant pass rusher they had under Meyer. Seems Day is all about the Qb and Wr. You win by dominating both lines. 

  • He better figure out how to play defense, because Washington's was pretty suspect for a playoff team. 

    DeBoer leaving Washington might be Ohio State's gain in this recruiting class, because local recruit Dominic Kirks (4 star DE from Painesville Riverside) has decommitted from Washington now and will visit Ohio State this weekend.

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @dutch-oven said:

    He better figure out how to play defense, because Washington's was pretty suspect for a playoff team. 

    DeBoer leaving Washington might be Ohio State's gain in this recruiting class, because local recruit Dominic Kirks (4 star DE from Painesville Riverside) has decommitted from Washington now and will visit Ohio State this weekend.

    Speaking of the Painsville area. My old HS are state champs for the first time ever this year

  • AxeA Axe

    @dutch-oven said:

    He better figure out how to play defense, because Washington's was pretty suspect for a playoff team. 

    DeBoer leaving Washington might be Ohio State's gain in this recruiting class, because local recruit Dominic Kirks (4 star DE from Painesville Riverside) has decommitted from Washington now and will visit Ohio State this weekend.

    Speaking of the Painsville area. My old HS are state champs for the first time ever this year

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @axe said:

    Speaking of the Painsville area. My old HS are state champs for the first time ever this year

    What school? Perry?