Some 49ers Didn't Know the OT Rules
-
If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.
And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.
This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.
What say you?
wrong link....it's a U2 concert
-
I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.
-
I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.
I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.
I understand.
I also think it gets convoluted when Regular Season OT and Post Season OT aren't the same because post season games can't end in a tie.
-
Some 49ers Players Didn't Know OT Rules
If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.
And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.
This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.
What say you?
Some 49ers Players Didn't Know OT Rules
If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.
And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.
This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.
What say you?
I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked.
Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.
-
Some 49ers Players Didn't Know OT Rules
If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.
And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.
This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.
What say you?
I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked.
Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.
I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked.
Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.
I agree. Let's take the kicking out of it. No FGs. No going for two. Man up and move the ball. Man up and stop the ball from moving.
-
Some 49ers Players Didn't Know OT Rules
If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.
And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.
This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.
What say you?
I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked.
Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.
I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked.
Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.
It would equally force both sides to be aggressive.
-
I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.
-
I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.
I understand.
I also think it gets convoluted when Regular Season OT and Post Season OT aren't the same because post season games can't end in a tie.
I understand.
I also think it gets convoluted when Regular Season OT and Post Season OT aren't the same because post season games can't end in a tie.
Interesting discussion; but aren't we overthinking all this though? If you get the ball 1st against the Chiefs and only play to settle for a FG; the team with Mahomes is going to be calling plays with the understanding they have all 4 downs to get a 1st down until they score a TD in the ultimate reason they're playing the game in the first place - to win it. This isn't hindsight 20/20. One team planned ahead remaining who they are Defending Champions successfully defending their SB championship. If you can lose a 10 point lead in regulation against them - they should have known they could lose 3 point lead in OT.
-
-
-
I understand.
I also think it gets convoluted when Regular Season OT and Post Season OT aren't the same because post season games can't end in a tie.
Interesting discussion; but aren't we overthinking all this though? If you get the ball 1st against the Chiefs and only play to settle for a FG; the team with Mahomes is going to be calling plays with the understanding they have all 4 downs to get a 1st down until they score a TD in the ultimate reason they're playing the game in the first place - to win it. This isn't hindsight 20/20. One team planned ahead remaining who they are Defending Champions successfully defending their SB championship. If you can lose a 10 point lead in regulation against them - they should have known they could lose 3 point lead in OT.
Interesting discussion; but aren't we overthinking all this though? If you get the ball 1st against the Chiefs and only play to settle for a FG; the team with Mahomes is going to be calling plays with the understanding they have all 4 downs to get a 1st down until they score a TD in the ultimate reason they're playing the game in the first place - to win it. This isn't hindsight 20/20. One team planned ahead remaining who they are Defending Champions successfully defending their SB championship. If you can lose a 10 point lead in regulation against them - they should have known they could lose 3 point lead in OT.
Of course, we're (I'm) overthinking it. But the NFL, in my most humble opinion, is underthinking it and has been since 1958.
I don't like sudden death for a Team game (mostly) dependent upon having possession of the ball to score.
I also don't like OT one way during the regular season and another way during the playoffs.
-
Interesting discussion; but aren't we overthinking all this though? If you get the ball 1st against the Chiefs and only play to settle for a FG; the team with Mahomes is going to be calling plays with the understanding they have all 4 downs to get a 1st down until they score a TD in the ultimate reason they're playing the game in the first place - to win it. This isn't hindsight 20/20. One team planned ahead remaining who they are Defending Champions successfully defending their SB championship. If you can lose a 10 point lead in regulation against them - they should have known they could lose 3 point lead in OT.
Of course, we're (I'm) overthinking it. But the NFL, in my most humble opinion, is underthinking it and has been since 1958.
I don't like sudden death for a Team game (mostly) dependent upon having possession of the ball to score.
I also don't like OT one way during the regular season and another way during the playoffs.
Of course, we're (I'm) overthinking it. But the NFL, in my most humble opinion, is underthinking it and has been since 1958.
I don't like sudden death for a Team game (mostly) dependent upon having possession of the ball to score.
I also don't like OT one way during the regular season and another way during the playoffs.
Thanks! Good points made. Bottom line though: Ties suck even worse when the game can't be settled in 60 minutes. The NFL is in such a hurry to make changes that when it's time to do so - they come up with something so fast that it has glitches that need adjustments/improvements. Like you said, make your OT rules and keep them the same for the regular and post season. There's no perfect way to do it; the longer you play a game the more fatigue sets in and the risk of injuries increase. I'd say give each team 2 possessions. Pre-determine before games what you'll do in situations (ie; go for 2 or just 1 after the TD). Again though, if you keep your starting D out there to defend a 2 point conversion or your starting O to convert it - it's another chance for injury to a valuable starter in that 5th quarter of the game.
I don't like the direction the NFL is going. Greed aimed at spreading the Sunday Ticket Monopoly over seas/different countries/different continents; having the players play too many games during the week for prime time viewing (not giving players enough rest/recuperation for their bodies). Injury volumes seemed like they were at an all-time high all over the league. Then people had to stream Peacock to watch a playoff game (even if it wasn't all that much to do so - it's the point the people with the power are deciding that Multi billions of $ aren't enough). This year 2 teams will be playing their opener in freakin Brazil. Why? Increase those Sunday Ticket contracts and encourage more gambling opportunities so we can popularize that (if we worry about officiating now - just think where that could all be going). What if that was in lieu of our scheduled home game vrs Pitt or Baltimore or even Cincy?
-
Of course, we're (I'm) overthinking it. But the NFL, in my most humble opinion, is underthinking it and has been since 1958.
I don't like sudden death for a Team game (mostly) dependent upon having possession of the ball to score.
I also don't like OT one way during the regular season and another way during the playoffs.
Thanks! Good points made. Bottom line though: Ties suck even worse when the game can't be settled in 60 minutes. The NFL is in such a hurry to make changes that when it's time to do so - they come up with something so fast that it has glitches that need adjustments/improvements. Like you said, make your OT rules and keep them the same for the regular and post season. There's no perfect way to do it; the longer you play a game the more fatigue sets in and the risk of injuries increase. I'd say give each team 2 possessions. Pre-determine before games what you'll do in situations (ie; go for 2 or just 1 after the TD). Again though, if you keep your starting D out there to defend a 2 point conversion or your starting O to convert it - it's another chance for injury to a valuable starter in that 5th quarter of the game.
I don't like the direction the NFL is going. Greed aimed at spreading the Sunday Ticket Monopoly over seas/different countries/different continents; having the players play too many games during the week for prime time viewing (not giving players enough rest/recuperation for their bodies). Injury volumes seemed like they were at an all-time high all over the league. Then people had to stream Peacock to watch a playoff game (even if it wasn't all that much to do so - it's the point the people with the power are deciding that Multi billions of $ aren't enough). This year 2 teams will be playing their opener in freakin Brazil. Why? Increase those Sunday Ticket contracts and encourage more gambling opportunities so we can popularize that (if we worry about officiating now - just think where that could all be going). What if that was in lieu of our scheduled home game vrs Pitt or Baltimore or even Cincy?
Thanks! Good points made. Bottom line though: Ties suck even worse when the game can't be settled in 60 minutes. The NFL is in such a hurry to make changes that when it's time to do so - they come up with something so fast that it has glitches that need adjustments/improvements. Like you said, make your OT rules and keep them the same for the regular and post season. There's no perfect way to do it; the longer you play a game the more fatigue sets in and the risk of injuries increase. I'd say give each team 2 possessions. Pre-determine before games what you'll do in situations (ie; go for 2 or just 1 after the TD). Again though, if you keep your starting D out there to defend a 2 point conversion or your starting O to convert it - it's another chance for injury to a valuable starter in that 5th quarter of the game.
I don't like the direction the NFL is going. Greed aimed at spreading the Sunday Ticket Monopoly over seas/different countries/different continents; having the players play too many games during the week for prime time viewing (not giving players enough rest/recuperation for their bodies). Injury volumes seemed like they were at an all-time high all over the league. Then people had to stream Peacock to watch a playoff game (even if it wasn't all that much to do so - it's the point the people with the power are deciding that Multi billions of $ aren't enough). This year 2 teams will be playing their opener in freakin Brazil. Why? Increase those Sunday Ticket contracts and encourage more gambling opportunities so we can popularize that (if we worry about officiating now - just think where that could all be going). What if that was in lieu of our scheduled home game vrs Pitt or Baltimore or even Cincy?
I don't disagree.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login