Skip to content

Salary Cap 2024 - thread for changing the subject

The Browns Board
43 12 1.5k 1
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #12
  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @syd said:

    Browns announce some plans for the summer

    Were those practices at the Greenbriar last summer open to the public?

  • A AP1

    @ballpeen said:

    I think we all do.

    However, it will depend on his rehab projection and his willingness to restructure.  If the rehab looks like a week 8 return, and he isn't willing to extend to give some relief to this years salary number, we probably won't have much of a choice.

    I don't expect he will take that stance and will work out a team friendly deal.

    I am a fan of the Cleveland Browns.  I root for the Browns over and above any individual player, no matter how much I might like that player.  I have Browns gear, but don't have player posters/pictures plaster up on my bedroom walls like i did when I was 11.

    I don't disagree with anything here.

    But let me play devil's advocate...

    What if Chubb's angle, or anyone in a similar contractual circumstance, takes a look at Watson and essentially says, "He's got way more wiggle room in his contract. He needs to be the first to create some space." ?

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @ap1 said:

    I don't disagree with anything here.

    But let me play devil's advocate...

    What if Chubb's angle, or anyone in a similar contractual circumstance, takes a look at Watson and essentially says, "He's got way more wiggle room in his contract. He needs to be the first to create some space." ?

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

  • @ap1 said:

    I don't disagree with anything here.

    But let me play devil's advocate...

    What if Chubb's angle, or anyone in a similar contractual circumstance, takes a look at Watson and essentially says, "He's got way more wiggle room in his contract. He needs to be the first to create some space." ?

    Especially for a QB whose done basically "NOTHING" since we brought him here.. The performance of lack thereof hasn't come anywhere close to meeting the value we gave up for his sorry ass!

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @nickers said:

    Especially for a QB whose done basically "NOTHING" since we brought him here.. The performance of lack thereof hasn't come anywhere close to meeting the value we gave up for his sorry ass!

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

  • @nickers said:

    Especially for a QB whose done basically "NOTHING" since we brought him here.. The performance of lack thereof hasn't come anywhere close to meeting the value we gave up for his sorry ass!

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #16

    @ballpeen said:

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching his do nothings balls...

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching his do nothings balls...

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @nickers said:

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching do nothings balls...

    I am not doing any of that.

    They are separate issues.

  • A AP1

    @unsympathetic said:

    And the Browns care about the Browns.  This is the same situation with workers and all businesses. 

    They don't care about you - all interactions are always transactional.

    Take your enjoyment of watching Nick Chubb's ass to pornhub. Complaining about Watson isn't going to change anything.

    Future Browns salary cap moves will, however, change the players on the roster next season.

    I'm not quoting you, but so many on this forum speak of making the playoffs and getting a home playoff game. We were even fortunate to experience a playoff win in 2020.

    Meanwhile there are teams playing in multiple conference championship games, teams making multiple SB appearances, teams owning their division year in and year out. And teams putting together multiple SB victories, pushing some to call them dynasties. I'm aware that you know as much.

    But what sets those teams apart that are running through their division each year, winning conference championships, playing in multiple SBs and winning multiple SBs is that they've a core of players that love their team and their city.

    And there are many losers that love their team and their city but there are very few winners that don't.

    And Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    And I'm aware there's nothing that we, as fans, can do about the DS contract, but there's plenty he can do.

    The winners are locked into and embrace their team, city and fanbase. We can disagree on this and still be amicable Browns fans.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #18

    @ap1 said:

    And Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching his do nothings balls...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @nickers said:

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching do nothings balls...

    Okay, "is gonna" = hasn't yet.  

    In year #2 of the contract - this team signed more veterans via FA and trades than we've seen in 1 off-season in quite some time.  Outcome?  11 regular season wins despite season ending injuries to Chubb, Conklin, Wills, Watson, Delpit, Walker, Hurst, and Dawand Jones.  On top that, we had others that missed multiple games to injury.  And just when it looked like there was nowhere else to turn or hide with the QB depth chart - Here comes Lazarus, I mean Flacco, right out of rest in peace mode.

    I'm not confusing Berry with Jesus in any way here.  That said, that's some pretty freakin good David Copperfield. The temporary process is more about leaning on proven veterans than learning curves of 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2022 and 2023.  This year, they'll have a 2nd round pick.  All those years the Browns were excited to show they had one of the youngest teams - they stunk during most/all of them.  There's been a lot to overcome here and they've been doing it. 

    Welcome to Cleveland!  But hey, if it doesn't feel outrageous you're probably in Columbus.  

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
    #20

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

  • They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @bob806 said:

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

  • @bob806 said:

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    I like the Browns' depth in the secondary! 

  • @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    I like the Browns' depth in the secondary! 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @bob806 said:

    I like the Browns' depth in the secondary! 

    Yeah...but I wish we had a little more speed...

  • @bob806 said:

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  

    Good choice.. We can't keep kicking the $$ can down the road, on Watson & expiring contracts like Amari Cooper's. It'd be better to sign Coop to a new deal  

  • A AP1

    @syd said:

    Browns announce some plans for the summer

    Were those practices at the Greenbriar last summer open to the public?

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @ap1 said:

    Were those practices at the Greenbriar last summer open to the public?

    I do not think so

  • @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  

    Good choice.. We can't keep kicking the $$ can down the road, on Watson & expiring contracts like Amari Cooper's. It'd be better to sign Coop to a new deal  

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gumby73 said:

    We can't keep kicking the $$ can down the road

    why not ?  the cap go's up every year and has gambling money even kicked in yet ?

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching his do nothings balls...

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @nickers said:

    Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team

    in a handful of years if not sooner Watson's contract will look like a bargain 

  • @ap1 said:

    And Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

    A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @dutch-oven said:

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

    Do any of us want to be wrong about our opinions?

    Its just an instinct about Chubb. I cant explain so I won't offer fodder to be misconstrued. 

    I don't love Nick Chubb. I'm thankful for Nick Chubb. I appreciate his blue collar approach. I appreciate that he makes plays like he expects to make plays and acts like he's been in that position when he has made a great play. He reminds me of Barry Sanders. 

  • @ap1 said:

    I don't disagree with anything here.

    But let me play devil's advocate...

    What if Chubb's angle, or anyone in a similar contractual circumstance, takes a look at Watson and essentially says, "He's got way more wiggle room in his contract. He needs to be the first to create some space." ?

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

    A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

    Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

    It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

    Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

  • A AP1

    @dutch-oven said:

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

    Do any of us want to be wrong about our opinions?

    Its just an instinct about Chubb. I cant explain so I won't offer fodder to be misconstrued. 

    I don't love Nick Chubb. I'm thankful for Nick Chubb. I appreciate his blue collar approach. I appreciate that he makes plays like he expects to make plays and acts like he's been in that position when he has made a great play. He reminds me of Barry Sanders. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @ap1 said:

    I don't love Nick Chubb.

    I do...................ahem, in a manly type guy way that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  🙂   

    He reminds me of my youth.  Watching Gary Collins flip the ball to the official after catching those slant or post pattern TD's.  Chubb is a throwback.  He's a gem.  I hope he heals up well and is able to continue to play at a high level.  But there is no guarantee of that...

  • A AP1

    @ballpeen said:

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

    Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

    It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

    Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @ap1 said:

    Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

    It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

    Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

    It probably been that way for so long that players don't really care.  They know that going in.

    I am sure we could find a few examples to differ, but for the most part the QB has been the highest paid player on the team since when?  The 70"s?  80's?  At least the top type QB's.  Not a rookie or some guy signed to a 1-2 year deal.

    I will agree there are times where QB's get top money but don't produce top results.