Skip to content

Salary Cap 2024 - thread for changing the subject

The Browns Board
43 12 1.5k 1
  • They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

  • They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    @bob806 said:

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

  • @bob806 said:

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    I like the Browns' depth in the secondary! 

  • @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    I like the Browns' depth in the secondary! 

    @bob806 said:

    I like the Browns' depth in the secondary! 

    Yeah...but I wish we had a little more speed...

  • @bob806 said:

    They just restructured Denzel Ward's contract, supposedly it saves #11 million on this year's cap.

    Ward

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  We need Denzel.  

    @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  

    Good choice.. We can't keep kicking the $$ can down the road, on Watson & expiring contracts like Amari Cooper's. It'd be better to sign Coop to a new deal  

  • A AP1

    @syd said:

    Browns announce some plans for the summer

    Were those practices at the Greenbriar last summer open to the public?

    @ap1 said:

    Were those practices at the Greenbriar last summer open to the public?

    I do not think so

  • @orion said:

    Thank you Denzel!   Nice work Andrew!  

    Good choice.. We can't keep kicking the $$ can down the road, on Watson & expiring contracts like Amari Cooper's. It'd be better to sign Coop to a new deal  

    @gumby73 said:

    We can't keep kicking the $$ can down the road

    why not ?  the cap go's up every year and has gambling money even kicked in yet ?

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's fine to think that way as a fan.  You can think what you want.

    If Nick actually did that and I was Berry, I would tell him it is obvious it isn't going to work out and trade or release him ASAP.  It doesn't matter if I like him more.  You don't fuck with other people's money.

    yeah , let us know when Mr.Peepee does something... Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team... But keep smooching his do nothings balls...

    @nickers said:

    Meanwhile his contract is gonna strangle this team

    in a handful of years if not sooner Watson's contract will look like a bargain 

  • @ap1 said:

    And Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

    Do any of us want to be wrong about our opinions?

    Its just an instinct about Chubb. I cant explain so I won't offer fodder to be misconstrued. 

    I don't love Nick Chubb. I'm thankful for Nick Chubb. I appreciate his blue collar approach. I appreciate that he makes plays like he expects to make plays and acts like he's been in that position when he has made a great play. He reminds me of Barry Sanders. 

  • @ap1 said:

    I don't disagree with anything here.

    But let me play devil's advocate...

    What if Chubb's angle, or anyone in a similar contractual circumstance, takes a look at Watson and essentially says, "He's got way more wiggle room in his contract. He needs to be the first to create some space." ?

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

    @ballpeen said:

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

    Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

    It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

    Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

  • A AP1

    @dutch-oven said:

    You keep saying this.

    I think it is apparent that you really don't want to be wrong about this. 

    And what exactly does Nick Chubb do that shows you he loves Cleveland? I love me some Nick Chubb as much as anyone, but he's a robot on the field. If TJ Watt is the epitome of a rah-rah psyche your teammates and the crowd up, Chubb is the total opposite. On the field, he has zero personality, and I'm fine with that. He plays incredibly well, is a professional and never is a problem off the field. Fantastic.

    But I think he'd be like that whereever he played. And that's fine, but this "Chubb loves Cleveland" narrative you keep pushing seems contrived because you love Nick Chubb. 

    Do any of us want to be wrong about our opinions?

    Its just an instinct about Chubb. I cant explain so I won't offer fodder to be misconstrued. 

    I don't love Nick Chubb. I'm thankful for Nick Chubb. I appreciate his blue collar approach. I appreciate that he makes plays like he expects to make plays and acts like he's been in that position when he has made a great play. He reminds me of Barry Sanders. 

    @ap1 said:

    I don't love Nick Chubb.

    I do...................ahem, in a manly type guy way that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  🙂   

    He reminds me of my youth.  Watching Gary Collins flip the ball to the official after catching those slant or post pattern TD's.  Chubb is a throwback.  He's a gem.  I hope he heals up well and is able to continue to play at a high level.  But there is no guarantee of that...

  • A AP1

    @ballpeen said:

    One players contract has nothing to do with another's or their health situation.  IMO it would be a dick move for one player to suggest another player take a cut in pay.  You don't try to screw with another person's bag.

    Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

    It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

    Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

    @ap1 said:

    Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

    It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

    Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

    It probably been that way for so long that players don't really care.  They know that going in.

    I am sure we could find a few examples to differ, but for the most part the QB has been the highest paid player on the team since when?  The 70"s?  80's?  At least the top type QB's.  Not a rookie or some guy signed to a 1-2 year deal.

    I will agree there are times where QB's get top money but don't produce top results.

  • @ap1 said:

    I don't love Nick Chubb.

    I do...................ahem, in a manly type guy way that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  🙂   

    He reminds me of my youth.  Watching Gary Collins flip the ball to the official after catching those slant or post pattern TD's.  Chubb is a throwback.  He's a gem.  I hope he heals up well and is able to continue to play at a high level.  But there is no guarantee of that...

    @orion said:

    I do...................ahem, in a manly type guy way that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  🙂   

    He reminds me of my youth.  Watching Gary Collins flip the ball to the official after catching those slant or post pattern TD's.  Chubb is a throwback.  He's a gem.  I hope he heals up well and is able to continue to play at a high level.  But there is no guarantee of that...

    Edgerrin James led the NFL in rushing in 1999 and 2000. He tore his ACL in 2001. He was 11 yards shy of 1,000 yards in 2002, and would surpass 1,000 yards from 2003-2007.

    Adrian Peterson rushed for over 2,000 yards and was League MVP after his ACL surgery. Jamal Lewis put up a season of comparable statistics after an ACL tear and Jamaal Charles rushed for over 1,500 yards after tearing his ACL. Dalvin Cook has had four 1,000 yard seasons since tearing his ACL. Saquon Barkley has had one 1,000 yard season and over 950 yards last year since coming back from his ACL tear in 2021.

    Every athlete and circumstance is different. Nothing is guaranteed, but if anyone can defy expectations, it's Nick Chubb. 

  • A AP1

    @unsympathetic said:

    And the Browns care about the Browns.  This is the same situation with workers and all businesses. 

    They don't care about you - all interactions are always transactional.

    Take your enjoyment of watching Nick Chubb's ass to pornhub. Complaining about Watson isn't going to change anything.

    Future Browns salary cap moves will, however, change the players on the roster next season.

    I'm not quoting you, but so many on this forum speak of making the playoffs and getting a home playoff game. We were even fortunate to experience a playoff win in 2020.

    Meanwhile there are teams playing in multiple conference championship games, teams making multiple SB appearances, teams owning their division year in and year out. And teams putting together multiple SB victories, pushing some to call them dynasties. I'm aware that you know as much.

    But what sets those teams apart that are running through their division each year, winning conference championships, playing in multiple SBs and winning multiple SBs is that they've a core of players that love their team and their city.

    And there are many losers that love their team and their city but there are very few winners that don't.

    And Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    And I'm aware there's nothing that we, as fans, can do about the DS contract, but there's plenty he can do.

    The winners are locked into and embrace their team, city and fanbase. We can disagree on this and still be amicable Browns fans.

    @ap1 said:

    Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

  • @ap1 said:

    Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    @korsou-dawg said:

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    We can amicably disagree about Watson's modus operandi.

    We all want him to be the best teammate and player and most in-tuned player on the field because he plays the most important position in all of sports for OUR FAVORITE TEAM.

    Players have never had a better opportunity to make money, whether it's on the field or off the field. Unfortunately, Watson's past, whether he is innocent of charges or not, will make it more difficult to earn off the field. Perception becomes reality for many. And many do not forget and they certainly do not forgive. 

    Maybe Watson has approached the organization and offered to restructure and we just don't know about it. 

    I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

  • @ap1 said:

    Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    @korsou-dawg said:

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    I believe you are absolutely correct. Chubb would play hard for any team. 

    I hope to never see him in anything but Orange and Brown.

  • @ap1 said:

    Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    @korsou-dawg said:

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    The only thing wrong with any of that KD is you don't have my speelchekkar that reads maid in Pitsberg. 

    Anyway, do you know how Clemson won a National Championship over the favored Alabama team that stockpiled the NFL draft with starters?   Deshaun Watson. The same guy that shredded Ohio State the week before. If that looked like a player not interested in what he was doing - I'll be happy to watch some clips of it with whoever thinks he doesn't want to win for a team that employs him.  In fact, when it was apparent Houston was not interested in winning - that's when Watson wanted out for someone that did.  

    As for Chubb, the only team in the draft that showed him they wanted him real bad was the one that drafted him.  Nothing says welcome home quite like that; and he's returned the favor ever since.  FWIW, he doesn't waste a lot of time and energy with rah rah stuff.  Instead, he puts all of that into his efforts to beat the opponent.  More specifically, his pads do his talking.  

  • A AP1

    @korsou-dawg said:

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    We can amicably disagree about Watson's modus operandi.

    We all want him to be the best teammate and player and most in-tuned player on the field because he plays the most important position in all of sports for OUR FAVORITE TEAM.

    Players have never had a better opportunity to make money, whether it's on the field or off the field. Unfortunately, Watson's past, whether he is innocent of charges or not, will make it more difficult to earn off the field. Perception becomes reality for many. And many do not forget and they certainly do not forgive. 

    Maybe Watson has approached the organization and offered to restructure and we just don't know about it. 

    I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

    @ap1 said:

    I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

    Watson's deal pays him $46 mill a year.

    If there are now $60 mill a year QBs, according to you, what exactly are you continually complaining about? 

    And if he restructures his contract AGAIN, are you coming back here to praise it?

  • A AP1

    @korsou-dawg said:

    I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

    The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

    If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

    And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

    We can amicably disagree about Watson's modus operandi.

    We all want him to be the best teammate and player and most in-tuned player on the field because he plays the most important position in all of sports for OUR FAVORITE TEAM.

    Players have never had a better opportunity to make money, whether it's on the field or off the field. Unfortunately, Watson's past, whether he is innocent of charges or not, will make it more difficult to earn off the field. Perception becomes reality for many. And many do not forget and they certainly do not forgive. 

    Maybe Watson has approached the organization and offered to restructure and we just don't know about it. 

    I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

    @ap1 said:

    We can amicably disagree about Watson's modus operandi.

    We all want him to be the best teammate and player and most in-tuned player on the field because he plays the most important position in all of sports for OUR FAVORITE TEAM.

    Players have never had a better opportunity to make money, whether it's on the field or off the field. Unfortunately, Watson's past, whether he is innocent of charges or not, will make it more difficult to earn off the field. Perception becomes reality for many. And many do not forget and they certainly do not forgive. 

    Maybe Watson has approached the organization and offered to restructure and we just don't know about it. 

    I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

    I enjoy your daily contributions AP; but can we move on in here from the Watson stuff for a little while?  I say that because we've beat it into oblivion before you arrived; and now we're hi-jacking subject headings dwelling on him again.  You've done a good job making your points as have others replying to them. 

    Ward just gave Berry permission to move a significant amount of money as I suspect others will soon follow.  That's not a pay cut - it's a deferred payment.  An oft-injured vet like Conklin may step up and do the same.  There's some others players that can do this as well.  This is all the stuff that Berry likes to do.  Let's see what happens between now and the start of free-agency kicking off. 

  • @ap1 said:

    I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

    Watson's deal pays him $46 mill a year.

    If there are now $60 mill a year QBs, according to you, what exactly are you continually complaining about? 

    And if he restructures his contract AGAIN, are you coming back here to praise it?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Watson's deal pays him $46 mill a year.

    If there are now $60 mill a year QBs, according to you, what exactly are you continually complaining about? 

    And if he restructures his contract AGAIN, are you coming back here to praise it?

    Complaining is relative and solves little. I think about this stuff and have an opinion no more or less than the rest of you. We all want the same thing.

    I'll be in favor of and show appreciation for any moves that put the Browns in a better position to win. Teams (and fanbases) that finish at the top, I would imagine, have very few regrets. I don't know because I've never been in that position.

    No doubt, there are plenty of shoulda, coulda, woulda and wishes amongst the 31 other teams that don't win the SB.

    As the face of the franchise, QBs should be willing to do whatever it takes, as many times as needed to put their franchise in the best position to win the Super Bowl.